Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2023, 11:18   #106
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post

I have no idea what horses hundai measures but the car just doesn't move under hard acceleration. My Swift feels like a Porsche compared to the Exter.
I was puzzled by how my comments on the performance was completely different from others here so decided to go take a TD at another dealership.

I am happy to report that the car isn't bad at all, so must have been an issue with the first TD car. Head nod while present wasn't irritating in D mode and the car had decent poke at low speeds and even when pushed. Manual mode gives one a little more control but I would just leave it in D and drive.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 12:17   #107
BHPian

Congratulations to all the new Exter owners here. I have one question - what is your opinion of the JK Tyres the car comes with? Is a tyre upsize warranted? If so, to what size?
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 17:45   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Exter garners over 50,000 bookings in under 1 month

Hyundai claims to have received over 50,000 bookings for the Exter in less than 30 days of its launch.

Hyundai Exter Review-2023_hyundai_exter_06.jpg

The Hyundai Exter went on sale in India on July 10. Around 10,000 cars were pre-booked prior to the launch. The carmaker also claims that variants equipped with a sunroof account for 75% of the total bookings. A third of the bookings were for the AMT version.

The Exter is available in five variants: EX, S, SX, SX(O) and SX(O) Connect. The crossover is powered by a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that makes 83 BHP and 114 Nm. It is paired with either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT. The car also gets a factory-fitted CNG option.

The Exter comes with an all-black cabin, a digital instrument cluster, an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, wireless charging, a factory-fitted dashcam and keyless entry; among others.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 9th August 2023 at 17:47.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:08   #109
Senior - BHPian

Saw one in our apartment today. It’s unmistakably a Nios Crossover, more so from the rear. The plasticky rectangular cladding on the rear hatch door screams Nios. The front looks distinct but Punch definitely has a way better presence thanks to the Harrier-ish design (rear, again for this is pretty hatch-ish).

Being a Hyundai this car is going to sell well and might take a few numbers from Punch as well as its own sibling Venue which isn’t too big either in comparison.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th August 2023 at 14:49. Reason: As requested
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:56   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai Exter garners over 50,000 bookings in under 1 month

Hyundai claims to have received over 50,000 bookings for the Exter in less than 30 days of its launch.

[
Happy for Hyundai. They know exactly what our Indian consumer wants. As I wrote earlier on this thread after test driving this car a few weeks back, they were able to immediately stimulate my interest as well, with their good looking well designed and practical Exter.
Im sure this one also will be an IPL 6 for Hyundai. Its quite possible there will come a day when Hyundai surpasses Maruti in India. Mainly because they seem to have got both the sales and after sales / service experiences under control.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Exter Review-img_3691.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th August 2023 at 12:57.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 07:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

Booked Hyundai Exter AT yesterday, opted for the Khaki ranger dual tone...Pavan Hyundai quoted 9 months wait and we walked out. Advaith has promised to deliver early through some connects there. Comparision was with Maruti Fronx, tall boy look scored over the refinement of the fronx

Last edited by gadadhar : 13th August 2023 at 07:47.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 17:48   #112
BHPian

Booked Exter few days back, test drove Ignis(Manual & AMT), Grand i10 Nios(Manual & AMT), Baleno and Punch. I could not tolerate the 3 cylinder engine of Punch( the dealership had last year's model and I hear the new ones are more refined). Ignis was the most fun to drive but the build and interior refinement was sub-par. This is going to be my 4th Hyundai(Santro -2002, I20 - 2009, Creta -2017) and the Exter will replace the i20. This is for my wife's local runabouts with low usage(300-500 km per month ) and like the high ground clearance for the urban jungle ( water logging, potholes, roads dug up for months).
Faramir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 09:42   #113
BHPian

What’s the current waiting period quoted for the Exter? Booked one in Mumbai in august 1st week and been quoted a 12-14 week period. Wondering if this is the norm?
Old 21st August 2023, 10:41   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
What’s the current waiting period quoted for the Exter? Booked one in Mumbai in august 1st week and been quoted a 12-14 week period. Wondering if this is the norm?
It should be around that, I was told 9 months while enquiring on 13th Aug. Now I am getting one in less than 9 days, but that is a different story and I had to change my colour choice to white dual tone. It is waiting to be picked and I plan to take delivery on 25th Friday
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 16:55   #115
BHPian

Strange. i booked on 11th of July and no news of delivery yet. i was quoted 14-16 weeks of waiting.
Old 25th August 2023, 09:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

I followed one for good 10-15 minutes yesterday (green color). It looked pretty good in pictures here but in real it looks very sad especially rear and side profiles.
Old 25th August 2023, 10:28   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
This is going to be my 4th Hyundai(Santro -2002, I20 - 2009, Creta -2017) and the Exter will replace the i20.
Congratulations on your booking. I couldn't agree more with the comparison made with the rest of the lineup and it definitely ticks all boxes based on your requirement.

The only question is, Is the Santro still in service?
Old 25th August 2023, 14:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of the white dual tone Exter AMT petrol today morning from Advaith Hyundai on Residency Road. I had to miss the occasion for work and my son was happy to fill in....

I had a short drive later and few quick observations

Need to get used to the AMT after driving Fortuner and BMW ATs. Though it is lot refined in Exter compared to other cars, shift from 1st to 2nd gear has an obvious lag while rest of the gears are smooth. Car also roles back on slopes when you take the foot from brake and will stop rolling after few meters which is not a pleasant feel, I may need to start using the handbrakes.

We found the One touch window (which is present only for the driver door) does only roll down function, roll up doesn't work on single touch. I am not sure if this is by design or a malfunction

Horn gives a irritating hoot while locking with the keys, but is silent if done using the phone (yes, it is supported, and there are many functions that can be controlled remotely). Hope this can be configured to be silent even with the keys

Key fob has a boot opening button, we initially though it is non functional since there was no response on pressing the button. We later figured out that boot can be manually opened after pressing this button, this will leave the doors looked and auto folding mirrors closed. I am sure this is not a feature that is going to be used often

Will key in more details after first few days.

Hyundai Exter Review-exter.jpeg
gadadhar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 14:15   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post

The only question is, Is the Santro still in service?
Santro was disposed in the 14th year with ~135000 km on the ODO - with half of those on CNG. OEM tyres(bridgestone) and battery both lasted very long, perhaps ~80000 km for the 1st set of tyres alone.
Faramir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 22:58   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Went car shopping for my mother yesterday and one the cars we checked was the Exter. The new car would be a replacement car for my mother's 9 year old Punto. She and her sister are going to be using the car.

The specific use case for the car was only for short distance trips seated in the back of the vehicle, being chauffeur driven, using the "Dial-a-Driver" service, within the confines of the city. Both my mom and her elder sister are in there 70's. They have some level of back and knee pain and increasingly find it difficult to get inside and sit in the Punto.

We checked out 3 cars:
  • Magnite
  • Wagon R
  • Exter

Because of the particular use case that my mom and aunt will use a car for, most of the fancy features will be of no use, such a steering mounted controls automatic up down windows electrically foldable and adjustable ORVMs, push button start, keyless entry etc. - as they would be chauffeur driven and sit in the back. They also wanted to strictly confine the budget to no more than 7 lakhs, as they think of a new car as a marginally wasteful expenditure. So we decided to look at the base variant of each car, as there would be hardly any difference in features, room or comfort between top-end and bottom-end variants from the perspective of rear seat occupants.

The car had to have a comfortable back seat with plenty of Leg-room as both my mom and aunt are reasonably tall. The floor of the back of the car needed to be higher than normal hatchbacks and sedans, but not as high as a full size SUV or MPV like the Innova. It was important to be able to slide one's feet underneath the front seat comfortably also the depth of the floor from the the door sill point should not be too high, as both my mom and aunt find it difficult to lift their feet up and swing them over a high door sill to then get out of the car.

The Magnite was the most mature SUV of a lot. It looked a size bigger than the other two, had big 16 inch wheels and 195 profile tyres and the leg room at the back was adequate. It had a commanding position for the driver and just felt more mature, like a car from a segment above. And this is probably also true specs-wise, as the car is a bit longer and wider then the other two. Even the base model priced at 5.99 Lakhs ex-showroom offered a good value package with 15 8nch wheels etc.

The only issue with the Magnite was that the back door would open only about 70 degrees out. Plus the floor of the back seat was lower by about 3 inches from the bottom from the lower edge of the door opening. This made it more uncomfortable to get in and out of especially with the narrow door opening angle.

Next we tried the Wagon R. The doors open really wide - almost 90 degrees. In the back there was almost no depression of the floor compared to the lower end of the door opening which made it really easy to slide one's legs in and out of the car when getting on or off. There was plenty of leg room and headroom. The high floor meant it was easy to walk into the Wagon R and get seated comfortably. The one drawback with the Wagon R was that the thigh support in the rear bench was pathetic - it is only as much as an auto rickshaw would have.

Also the car looked much smaller than the others and the back bench was quite narrow and impossible for a third person, even a child, to sit. Also the base model had only a 1000cc, 3-cylinder engine that seemed very underpowered, on paper at least. The vehicle's stance was not at all confidence inspiring, with the tiny scooter-like 13 inch wheels and skimpy tyres in the base variant. We were not saving much for all these compromises - the price difference between this and the other two cars above is not much. I did not even dare to look up the crash test ratings of the Wagon-R, as I intuitively knew it would be pathetic. Yes, it may not be a big factor in slow City driving, yet the difference in safely levels between this and the other two cars would be very big to ignore. The other two cars can make a short highway trip to Pondicherry once in a year or so when they would visit their relative, but the Wagon R would be unfit for even such a small journey from a safety perspective.

Next we checked out the Exter, which looked the best of the three IMO- It was clearly a more modern design, there was a huge amount of headroom in the back and leg room was generous. Under-thigh support was way better than the Wagon R, though not as good as the Magnite. The rear doors open quite wide, about 80 degrees, and the rear door openings was larger, minimising chances of your head hitting the roof as you got in or out. This is because of the unique rear door design - with the upper and outer part of the rear door opening sweeping away to the back side, versus cut-in towards the front side, which is the case on all other cars and SUVs.

The only issue with the Exter was that, very similar to the Magnite, the rear floor was set much lower as compared to the bottom part of the door opening. Also the amount of space available at the corner between one's feet, the seat in front and the front-end of the rear door opening was cramped. This made it harder to get in and also to swing one's feet out when trying to exit the car. Also the seating position is lower than the Wagon R, making it less easy to walk into the car. One has to bend and lower oneself inside. The car has so much head room, I wonder why Hyundai decided to set the back seat lower and leave an enormous 6 - 8 inches of headroom, when they could have raised the seat a bit, made a relatively flat surface between the lower edge of door opening and the rest of the back floor. This would have made the Exter's back seat extremely comfortable.

We now have two more cars to check out next weekend - the Tata Punch and Citroen C3. Both should be interesting options, given the specific criteria we are interested in.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th August 2023 at 23:08.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks