Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2023, 08:25   #226
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter Review

My brother got an Exter Sx opt AMT recently. Like most people here he too was pretty annoyed with the horn sounds when locking and unlocking. The dealership was clueless on how to disactivate this.

I had read about the two button trick on remote which worked some Hyundais (all of them were four button remotes as in the case of Creta, Alcazar and Tucson) and we just gave it a try yesterday. It works great and the horrible horn sound when locking and unlocking is gone. Posting it here so that it is useful for all owners.

To remove the horn sounds while locking and unlocking press and hold the lock and unlock button on a remote key simultaneously for around 10 seconds. The indicators blink on the car and voila! - the menace is gone.
CoolFire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 09:26   #227
BHPian

Hi,

Recently purchased Exter SX(O) AMT DT. Have driven for almost 1200kms until now. In a perfect city bumper to bumper traffic I got a mileage of 12.23kmpl where as in highway combined with city traffic I got a mileage of 15.97kmpl.

While returning from my trip it was mid night with less traffic and the MID showed 20.3kmpl.

Positives
  • The suspension is on softer side but it did not hit any bumps or scrap the speed breakers anywhere ( 4 adults on board)
  • Ride height is adjustable which helps everyone
  • Seat comfort is great as mentioned by the co passengers
  • Interiors are good

Negatives
  • Driver hand rest is badly missed which needs to be purchased from outside
  • The horn sound is totally crap
  • The headlight must be upgraded, not worth driving on highway with the basic headlights
  • Why should they provide a wireless charger when android auto is wired
  • The door sill is very broad. Had to be covered with stickers or guards else it will attract alot of scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Exter Review-front.jpeg  

Hyundai Exter Review-rear.jpeg  

Hyundai Exter Review-fuel.jpeg  

Hyundai Exter Review-dash.jpeg  

gm_arun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 12:44   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Exter bookings surpass the 1 lakh mark

Hyundai claims to have received over 1 lakh bookings for the Exter in India.

Hyundai Exter Review-2023_hyundai_exter_06-2.jpg

The Hyundai Exter was launched in July this year. A month later, the car had garnered 50,000 bookings and by October, bookings crossed the 75,000 mark.

The Exter comes in 5 variants: EX, S, SX, SX(O) and SX(O) Connect. The crossover is priced from Rs 6.35 lakh (ex-showroom).

Powering the Hyundai Exter is a 1.2-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine producing 83 BHP and 114 Nm when running on petrol. With CNG, the power drops to 69 BHP and 95.2 Nm. The petrol version comes with either a 5-speed manual gearbox or an AMT, while the CNG variant gets the manual transmission as standard.

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 20:56   #229

My brother is booking the Exter SX AMT Ranger Khaki soon from Advaith Hyundai on BG road here in Bengaluru.

The quote is as below:
Ex show room - 877390
Road tax - 136348
Insurance - 48348
Reg & HP charges - 2662
Extended warranty - 8141
Shield of trust 5 years - 10999
Standard fitments - 9500
B to B - 9265
Fastag - 500
Total - 11,03,174

I have asked him to reject the insurance add and check on the B to B and Standard fitments add on.

The Standard fitments include the below adding up to 9500/-:
Head rest cushion - 1299
Mudflap or door edge guard - 329
Keychain - 149
Perfume - 276
Idol - 321
Vaccum cleaner - 1999
Under body coating - 2746
Seat belt cover - 474
Car cover - 1999

Questions:
1. Checked on Acko for a comprehensive package (with max car value selected) including all critical add-ons and the quote is about 23K + gst and same on TataAIG as well. What are the add-ons that is a must and what can be ignored?
2. None of the fitments as part of the add-on package makes sense to me except maybe the mud flaps. Thoughts on this? Is the under body coating useful?
3. Anything else that needs to be considered.

Thanks in anticipation of advise.
Old 2nd December 2023, 01:01   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard_storme View Post
Questions:
1. Checked on Acko for a comprehensive package (with max car value selected) including all critical add-ons and the quote is about 23K + gst and same on TataAIG as well. What are the add-ons that is a must and what can be ignored?
2. None of the fitments as part of the add-on package makes sense to me except maybe the mud flaps. Thoughts on this? Is the under body coating useful?
1. For insurance you can consider add ons including zero depreciation, key protection cover, return to invoice, and the engine protection cover. It is always good to have these add-ons for peace of mind.

2. You are right about the fitments. You can add both the mudflaps and the door edge guards. Shop online / aftermarket for other items in this list. I got my car cover for ₹1199/- from a car accessories shop. Also, all new cars come with underbody coating from the manufacturer, so unless you live in a area where corrosion is a big issue, you do not need any underbody coating right away.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th December 2023 at 19:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
TheZenGuy06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 19:33   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard_storme View Post
My brother is booking the Exter SX AMT Ranger Khaki soon from Advaith Hyundai on BG road here in Bengaluru.

The Standard fitments include the below adding up to 9500/-:
Head rest cushion - 1299
Mudflap or door edge guard - 329
Keychain - 149
Perfume - 276
Idol - 321
Vaccum cleaner - 1999
Under body coating - 2746
Seat belt cover - 474
Car cover - 1999

Questions:

Thanks in anticipation of advise.
Been dealing with Advaith Hyundai for several years now. The simplest way to pick something without either party having to be too fussy about it - is tell them to knock it off, refer to the Hyundai catalog and tell them to procure an accessory or two that'll actually be helpful - in my case I asked them to knock off everything and give me only mud flaps, and add on 3D mats and door scuff plates. They were happy to oblige. I got the rest from outside.
TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 17:06   #232

I would love some help from everyone on this thread! I wanna get an armrest fitted in my Exter because that is something that I sorely miss while driving the car. Being an automatic, an armrest is something that should be on offer as standard, and the fact that the car doesn't come one really makes me wonder why Hyundai took such a call with it.

If you guys have any suggestions for nice aftermarket places in Bangalore, please do let me know!
Old 28th December 2023, 13:02   #233
BHPian

Has anyone done 600+ Kms highway trips in Exter?. Could you please elaborate on the comfort levels and let me know if you found any deal breakers?. If anyone owns the Brezza also - then could you please do a comparison on the highway behavior of both cars?. I am kind of still sitting in the fence between the Exter and Brezza and your inputs would be hugely helpful as short test drives cannot give the complete highway picture.
Old 28th December 2023, 21:44   #234
BHPian

I think I can comment on this as I own Exter AMT and completed 9500kms in 4 months.

Have travelled from Jaipur to Katra (850 kms) in one go and came back same way. The drive or the car did not give me any fatigue.

I was tired but not because of driving Exter. Well, sitting idle for 15 hrs is tiring you know.

Let me tell you that it is really an under rated car. I drove it at some really high speeds. I am frequently driving from Jaipur to Delhi via DV Expressway. I use CC at 110 kmph. Few pros and cons -

1. Pros
- High seating position
- silent 4 cylinder petrol engine (till 90 kmph then started some mild noise but not intrusive)
- AMT is better than all other options.
- if you are not really racing then it is reasonable quick.
- Back seat space is surprisingly good
- paddle shifters
- Steering is better than Brezza

2. Cons

- 1.2 L engine, not good enough for some
- AMT, not as good as DCT

But in the segment at the given price, it is really a good product.

Specially, city drives are smooth, silent and quick.

Now, comparing to Brezza 1.5 L - offcourse, Exter will lag a bit but Brezza will also leave you a bit 'Unsatisfied' if you are really looking for some FUN factor. Interior quality is definitely a grade below Exter.

Interior space is almost similar, I feel back seat leg room is better in Exter.

Single line highway drive comparison - Brezza is 20% better but both cars won't satisfy you totally if you are looking for FUN.

So, difference of 300CC (1.2 Vs 1.5) will be there but if I have to choose again, I will definitely go for Exter AMT again (may be with Red color next time after Khaki Green of my present car).

Hope it helps.

Noopster.
noopster1008 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 10:00   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotdeva View Post
I would love some help from everyone on this thread! I wanna get an armrest fitted in my Exter because that is something that I sorely miss while driving the car. Being an automatic, an armrest is something that should be on offer as standard, and the fact that the car doesn't come one really makes me wonder why Hyundai took such a call with it.

If you guys have any suggestions for nice aftermarket places in Bangalore, please do let me know!
Hi itsnotdeva, I came across these options for an After market Handrest for Exter. I dont have personal experience yet but saw a few online videos of similar Armrest. This does not seem to need any drilling etc, just a simple slide on top fitting. Offcourse that means a little loose fitment but should get the job done.
Link

Now I have a few questions of my own.
I have made a booking and will take my car in April 2024.

1. Is it possible to fit an Auto IRVM in Exter ? May be the one from Creta ? Has anyone tried something like this ? I guess due to the SoS buttons etc this may be a challenge. But would be a great addition.

2. I have seen a few comments on tyre sizes. Any recommendations for the tyres ?

3. Not able to decide between Ranger Khaki DT vs White DT.

4. The sales guys was saying he can get a 360 deg camera system fitted with the existing screen as an accessory. Has any one tried this ?

Some suggestions from fellow owners would be great.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 7th January 2024 at 10:11. Reason: adding pt 4
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 23:01   #236

Bought my Exter SX AMT in Atlas White in October 2023 and have completed 2500 km. Want to share my thoughts behind the purchase and my ownership experience so far.

Cars considered

Being a new driver, I was very clear that I wanted to buy an SUVish vehicle. I felt more comfortable in the driving class if the car bonnet was visible to me . I considered Brezza, Fronx, Punch before zeroing in on Exter. The main reasons to reject other cars are the following:

1. Maruti Suzuki Brezza: Felt too big and intimidating, which was exacerbated by the incidence where the Maruti salesperson was not able to U-turn the vehicle in front of my society gate in one go. Moreover, paying a premium that MS charges for the torque converter did not seem reasonable to me.

2. Maruti Suzuki Fronx: Delta / Delta+ variants were lacking features and the Turbo variants were again too expensive. Also, despite several followups, the sales guy did not arrange for a test drive and kept on postponing . Perhaps others have had a good experience in Nexa showrooms. I did not feel that.

3. Tata Punch: I fell in love with Punch and did consider it strongly. However, went for Exter due to these particular issues with Punch:
  • Weird door locks. They might be safer in case an emergency exit is needed, but I have a very energetic toddler who would have opened the doors very easily.
  • No true TPMS. For me TPMS was a big priority. Punch has introduced indirect TPMS which only reports if the tyre pressure in any of the tyres is lower than the set values. Doesn't even say which tyre.
  • I've heard more horror stories about the Tata QC than Tata ASS. Did not want the headache.
  • Only two airbags on offer. No three point seatbelt for the middle passanger on the rear seat.
  • No hill hold assist. During my TD the car rolled down aggressively on my society parking slope. Also, the creep speed of Punch felt faster than Exter which I felt could become a problem in bumper to bumper traffic.
Ownership review

As mentioned earlier, I've completed nearly 2500 km on my Exter. I've driven it in the city in bumper to bumper traffic, on highways and on western ghats. First service (only checkup and cleaning) was done at around 1500 km which was free of any issues.

My experience has been really delightful and I haven't faced any issues so far. I agree with some other posts that Exter is an underrated car. Here are some of my key observations:

1. The AMT is very smooth. While I haven't driven any TC or CVT transmissions, I do not feel any delays / jerks in the AMT (except a slight delay when it moves from first to second gear). The paddle shifters are also useful. I've used them a handful of times on hills and on highway, and they served their purpose well.

2. The engine is absolutely silent and refined. There is slight noise about 90kmph but I haven't feel any vibrations while driving the car so far.

3. Again, about the engine, the pickup is reasonably good. Reaching 100kmph is fairly quick.

4. There is minimal body roll and the car feels very stable and confidence inspiring, be it on the hairpin bends on hills or on the highways. I am not sure if this is due to ESC/VSM system kicking in. It may have also helped that my Exter came with CEAT SecuraDrive tyres and not JK tyres.

5. The suspension is certainly on the softer side, but it can take some abuse. I drove it on a largely broken concrete road on hills and it handled it really well. While taking on the road bumps, one needs to keep the speed slow, otherwise the suspension bounces aggressively and rear passengers feel it. I also faced the suspension bottoming out a handful of times - but it wasn't too aggressive.

6. The car is spacious. I've mostly driven with 5 people + 1 kid in the car, and 200 km stretches in one go - but the rear passengers (elderly parents) always felt comfortable in the back. The boot space is also good and I can manage 1 week of luggage for 5 people in the boot.

7. Fuel efficiency I've been seeing: City 10-12 kmpl, Hills 13-15 kmpl, Highways 18-22 kmpl. I've observed that the upshifts are delayed in the City and on the hills, and currently I am experimenting with the paddle shifters to time my upshifts and thus improve the economy. I am also hoping that the mileage increases after the second (real) service.

Things I wish were available in Exter

1. Bigger tyres. While the current 15" are OK, I feel 16" rims would have enhanced the appeal of the car.

2. Safety rating announcement for my peace of mind. I am hoping that Exter gets good BNCAP rating. The car definitely feels well built.

3. Slightly firmer suspension would be welcome.

4. Stronger headlamps. While the stock headlamps do serve the purpose, in pitch dark I did feel the need for better illumination. Perhaps I can fix this by replacing the stock lamp with aftermarket units.

So far I have been very satisfied my purchase, and I wish to keep the car for a longish duration.

I hope this experience helps someone in their purchase decision, like tons of other reviews on TBHP that've helped me.

Last edited by TheZenGuy06 : 11th January 2024 at 23:07.
TheZenGuy06 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 11:11   #237
BHPian

I have the Exter too and recently did a 400km trip one way and about 1000km total over 4 days. I like the car except for the seat head position. This gives me a bad neck pain and headache. I tried the airline travel neck pillows and they helped to some extent but not practical. The fixed headrests are my issue. Not sure if it is a height thing, i am 181cms tall and end up having to sit slightly hunched.
Old 12th January 2024, 12:54   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZenGuy06 View Post
Bought my Exter SX AMT in Atlas White in October 2023 and have completed 2500 km. Want to share my thoughts behind the purchase and my ownership experience so far.

7. Fuel efficiency I've been seeing: City 10-12 kmpl, Hills 13-15 kmpl, Highways 18-22 kmpl. I've observed that the upshifts are delayed in the City and on the hills, and currently I am experimenting with the paddle shifters to time my upshifts and thus improve the economy. I am also hoping that the mileage increases after the second (real) service.

I have completed 10,000 kms in my Exter SX AMT and second service is due.

I am getting consistent 13-15 kmpl in city (Jaipur). As I have mentioned earlier also that driving at 80 kmph on highways can give you 23-25 kmpl.

One strange thing that I noticed few days after I got the car was some hissing noise from the rear. It was early morning and car was parked in the parking lot hence it was very quite there. While loading some bags in the boot, I heard some intermittent hissing sound coming from exhaust pipe. It was similar to the short whistles a pressure cooker gives just before a long continues whistle. My neighbor said it is normal from a small petrol engine. I have driven the car apprx 8000km since then. No issue at all.

Can any one throw some light on this ? Is it really a normal sound from small petrol engines ? My other cars are Diesel (Rapid, Innova) and they have many other noises coming off the engines but not like this from the exhaust. I called up SA and as expected he said "will see during service, if there is no problem in driving and no warning light, it means no problem".

Thanks in advance

Noopster
Old 15th January 2024, 14:16   #239
Senior - BHPian

I have been wondering from Day 1 why and from where the message "Children Crossing" is coming. I am sure fellow Exter owners also would have noticed this. Initially I thought the dash-cam was catching kids movement and alerting the driver, but later realised the alert is raised only at certain places consistently. Now I believe it is happening in school zones and the might be getting triggered by the inbuilt map
Old 15th January 2024, 14:33   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I have been wondering from Day 1 why and from where the message "Children Crossing" is coming. I am sure fellow Exter owners also would have noticed this. Initially I thought the dash-cam was catching kids movement and alerting the driver, but later realised the alert is raised only at certain places consistently. Now I believe it is happening in school zones and the might be getting triggered by the inbuilt map
Yes, it is from the navigation system in the digital instrument cluster. My Carens shares the same and has an option somewhere in the settings to mute/lower the volume of these alerts. Can't exactly recall where.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks