Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2023, 11:43   #1651
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why are you using wrong floor mats in your Jimny? That doesn't seem like Jimny AT driver side floor mat.
Yeah, the dealership promised to change. I pointed out when I got the car here at the time of delivery. But this is not bothering me much.
Old 14th August 2023, 14:54   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update after a month of use.

My expectations before the purchase of Jimny were very low but I started enjoying the car more than I thought I would. I was worried I might like it so much that I won't feel like shipping it off for the rural duty. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), it has fallen short on few important aspects, so I can stick to the original plan of sending this car to its natural habitat where, I have no doubt, it will serve really well.

Here is what I think of the car after using it for a month and covering close to 2000 KMs.

Within city: It's nimble and as easy to drive as a hatchback but, boy, taking U turns, tight parking or similar steering manoeuvres are a pain, something you don't want in a car of this compact size you hope to take to supermarkets or narrow streets, etc. It's not that bad but if you already have access to a small car that rule the narrow lanes of Bangalore, you will not like the fuss this car creates during tight manoeuvres.

For the highways: Small fuel tank and mediocre fuel efficiency (shouldn't have both together!). My road trips are mostly in the south India and I'm a bit OCD about where I stop for food or fuel - doing door-to-door non stop is my plan-A. With this car, I experience a lot of range anxiety as one needs to start looking for a petrol bunk just after 300KM or so. It may not bother others but fantastic tank range is a very key criteria for all the highway cars I've used.

Maruti Jimny Review-range.jpeg

I have zero problems with the much complained about engine+gearbox - it's fine and one can maintain 90-100 speed comfortably. Picking up speed (acceleration) is poor but it doesn't bother me as the overall travel time remains comparable to other cars.

In cabin experience: Far from delightful. Left foot ergonomics is bad. I've owned so many cars and never had this issue. I don't think there is a solution because the seat is wider than the footwell. It's not that bad but it does bother you every now and then while on a long drive. This car is a chatter box. Starts with a rude sounding loud "good morning" type of greeting - kind of spoils your mood for the day. Then beeps for every little thing - a second too late to put the seat belt - beep, put the car in reverse - beep beep, lock the car - beep. And the legendary braindead rear seat belt alerts. Car play hangs too often (navigation freezes and music stutters). Auto start/stop is very lousy - it shuts down the engine during a U turn manoeuvre! It's like death by thousand cuts.

I don't regret the purchase because I searched far and wide for a small 4x4 AT that's easy to live with and I am glad I have this option in the market. Nobody is going to beat Maruti when it comes to a car that's easy to live with in a small town, so I don't think I will find a better car anytime in near future. My wish list for future updates of Jimny: 1. Better footwell ergonomics 2. Better steering mechanism 3. Larger fuel tank

I do enjoy the freedom this car gives and I hope to try and fit the car into my travel needs.

Maruti Jimny Review-monkey-business.jpeg
androdev is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 15:27   #1653
BHPian

1. Get rid of that MT floor mat. AT floor mat will give you little more comfort to keep left foot on foot rest.
2. I have set the driver's seat 2 stops before extreme rear end. Left knee position is much better now.
3. Some alert sounds can be switched off from ICE/ sound levels can be reduced.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 15:54   #1654
BHPian

I remember the large turning radius was my first observation about the Gypsy. At that time people said it is because of the 4x4 system. Don’t know if that was the correct explanation. The constricted foot well will, in the Jimny, definitely take the fun out of the long drive. The gypsy too felt the same in the front seats. At that time either we were tougher, or we were not aware that this needed improvement or we were plain resigned to the limited options available in India. Even now my left knee keeps hitting my Ertiga’s central console and in 11 years, I never gave it much of a thought, though have to nurse my knee’s side after a long drive. With the Maruti 800 it was the right leg. I’m picturing what will be the position of my leg in the Alpha AT which I have booked.
Attachment 2490318[/quote]
You’ve got rear passengers to disable the alarm, but the guy on the right seems to have poked the antenna somewhere. Funny position for the antenna.
rajesh2812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 17:10   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Got the Jimny's first service done today. Odo at 1075 km. Nothing much to report post service as it is just a check up. Picked up a small scratch on the bonnet as a souvenir though.

Gearshifts and engine seems to be smoother over a month of usage and somehow things like the gear level doing a dance when you start the engine, the notchy gear shift that makes you pause a moment in neutral before pushing it into the slot with a firm hand are in keeping with it's tough character. As Sankar mentioned in the two lane highways of Kerala I too do the same time in the Jimny than my much quicker Baleno RS. The key is to maintain momentum and shift at low-medium revs. The engine has good low end torque and I am able to hold fourth as low as 30kmph with no signs of lugging.

Overall it's met my expectations. Other than for some light dug up and muddy roads that would certainly not be navigable by a hatch or sedan haven't done any off roading yet. 4WD engagement was pretty smooth.

5 people is a squeeze unless two of them are kids. No issues with luggage space though. It swallows up all the luggage than my Baleno did.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 20:54   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There is no space for 3 persons at the back. Indeed it is a bad idea to seat three persons at the back because there is no centre seat belt. And the rule is that all passengers in any car, front and rear, have to be belted up. Its just safer for everyone.

Hence any cop who is observant enough and duty conscious enough will pull you up and fine you.

From a technical point, there is no mounting point either for the third seat belt if you want to install one but I am sure there will be some kind of adapter which can be jerry-rigged if it is absolutely necessary to have three persons at the back of the Jimny. But I am not sure whether the mounting point with such an adapter will have the appropriate properly tested load rating for such a jerry-rig job.

I am also very sure that in our rural areas we will see the Jimny someday being used as a people carrier squashing in 5-6 people in the seats plus one or two squatting in the boot area. The same way we see Bolero Maxi Trucks with daily wage labourers being transported in the truck bed.

It is also entirely possible that families in the cities too may squash in 6-7 persons in the Jimny, the way they do in the Eeco and similar.
A lap belt (2-point) can be fitted, making some alterations to the two existing 3-points, the same way my Gypsy 5-door has, with Bolero second seat. But it may not be pretty. And the Bolero seat must be wider than the Jimny, as appears from all photos and videos. Have not seen a live Jimny yet on Calcutta roads, and not too keen to go to a NEXA to see one, after the disappointment it has been, to me !

Will check the Jimny out when I am ready to buy it, after all the Hoo-haa has died down, and after they stop forcing some 75K worth of accessories down the customers' throats.

One thing is for sure, it will not be a 'rural taxi' or people carrier -- owing to the size, price, or the fact that it is petrol driven. I was happy with the Gypsy for that reason too -- used to grin at the disappointment on the faces of other owners of everything from Omni, Swift, Eeco to Qualis, Innova, Scorpio, Tavera, Bolero Max etc. etc. when a sardine stuffed model of their prized possession would pass !

But Gypsy remained in the exclusive club of military/police/forest dept. vehicles, especially in Bengal where private ownership is very rare.

Jimny, at worst, will remain the pygmy in the big league (4WD club), particularly after the THAR and GURKHA 5-doors are out.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 21:18   #1657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
1. Get rid of that MT floor mat. AT floor mat will give you little more comfort to keep left foot on foot rest.
I have tried without that mat too. My forefoot is getting squeezed, and it pains me. This footrest could have been shorter. Is there any way to remove this? It should not be on the manual so this can't be part of the chassis.

I also put a cushion to increase the height, and it does help though the foot still fouls, but at least the leg positioning gets better.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_4755.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th August 2023 at 21:20.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 23:52   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have tried without that mat too. My forefoot is getting squeezed, and it pains me. This footrest could have been shorter. Is there any way to remove this? It should not be on the manual so this can't be part of the chassis.
Its probably a piece of foam or thermocol behind that hump which can be removed and the carpet leveled. Should help liberate some space to put the leg forward.
Old 15th August 2023, 02:50   #1659
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
A quick update after a month of use.
My honest opinion about your post - something tells me you haven’t taken even a modest amount of time to learn the features of the new car - perhaps because you’ve owned so many cars in your lifetime that this was just another buy for you. It took me just a few minutes of tapping around the UI to discover that all those “irritating alarms” (as you term it) can be disabled including the welcome message you so despise. And then as for me - with just a little bit of sliding the seat back and forward I could find an optimal position where my leg does not feel cramped at all in the footwell (I am just below 5’9” when barefoot FWIW). It may also have to do with how I have discovered to splay my knees out in a comfortable stance depending on my anatomical comfort, but my shin and feet never feel restricted or cramped in any way.

On the side I must say - I have watching this thread from page 1 as it evolved over many months and overall I have observed needless and perhaps motivated or just plain lazy opinion making and negativity about the car than practical viewpoints. Hence I have refrained from posting rather than engage in arguments because “somebody is wrong on the Internet”.

PS- I got an Alpha manual a few days back and I learnt very quickly how useful and convenient the auto start-stop feature is and how to easily disable it momentarily with alacrity and a click of the button depending on traffic conditions … I find it strange that so many Jimny owners just don’t get it. (Oh wait! It must be the honeymoon period of ownership!) - All said I find it quite brilliant FYI!

Last edited by Ragul : 15th August 2023 at 03:18.
Ragul is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 05:18   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
A lap belt (2-point) can be fitted, But it may not be pretty.
Jimny, at worst, will remain the pygmy in the big league (4WD club), particularly after the THAR and GURKHA 5-doors are out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh2812 View Post
I remember the large turning radius was my first observation about the Gypsy. At that time people said it is because of the 4x4 system. Don’t know if that was the correct explanation. The constricted foot well will, in the Jimny, definitely take the fun out of the long drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
My And then as for me - with just a little bit of sliding the seat back and forward I could find an optimal position where my leg does not feel cramped at all in the footwell (I am just below 5’9” when barefoot FWIW).
@SnakeMan. Adding one more lap belt will be handy only if this is going to regularly transport three persons. And a lap belt wont help much since if at all one brakes hard the middle passenger will lurch forward in between the front seats.
I like the Jimny being the David amongst the Goliaths of the Thar and Gurkha. Dont forget that David smote Goliath with a stone between the eyes and struck him down. So let the High Priests and Acolytes of ‘Road Presence’ continue to buy the Thar and Gurkha and let those who like ‘Small Footprints’ enjoy the Jimny and let those who have a liking for both breeds of horses for different courses, buy both.

@rajesh. The Gypsy has leaf springs both front and rear. And no power assisted steering. The rigid axle makes the turning radius larger. And yes most modern car users will find the Gypsy steering to be an effort and a struggle.

@Ragul. Did you get rid of your Gypsy? Or is Jimny the new addition alongside the Gypsy? I agree with your views on achieving comfort in the Gypsy and in the Jimny. Yes it has to do with how you sit, how you adjust the seat and how you splay your legs so as to be comfortable. As I illustrated a few posts before, I reiterate that it is quite comfortable even for one built like I am.
Even the Thar requires a little ‘adjustment’ to achieve that optimal comfort in the driving seat.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th August 2023 at 12:09. Reason: Don't spam with repeated contents/ pictures, Thanks
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 08:47   #1661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My honest opinion about your post - ..
Both positive and negative reviews are helpful to the community - even if they are coming from someone motivated to show the car in a bad light. Other members are free to dispute any claim or propose a work around. The worst thing is to be stuck inside an echo chamber.

P.S: If you think Jimny's auto start/stop is a good implementation, your bar is too low.
androdev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 11:31   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS- I got an Alpha manual a few days back and I learnt very quickly how useful and convenient the auto start-stop feature is and how to easily disable it momentarily with alacrity and a click of the button depending on traffic conditions … I find it strange that so many Jimny owners just don’t get it. (Oh wait! It must be the honeymoon period of ownership!) - All said I find it quite brilliant FYI!
Stop start implementation in the Jimny is "crudest" of all marutis. Its not discrete and neither is it smooth or fast. It does not have an integrated starter generator that all other stop-start marutis have which provide a very seamless, silent and quick start. There is a big difference between how baleno stop-starts and how jimny does.

If you find other ownership experiences as honeymoon period yours must be the first night
Old 15th August 2023, 12:25   #1663
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

@Ragul. Did you get rid of your Gypsy?
I am selling it now. Just in the process of editing the Ad video to post online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Both positive and negative reviews are helpful to the community - even if they are coming from someone motivated to show the car in a bad light. Other members are free to dispute any claim or propose a work around. The worst thing is to be stuck inside an echo chamber.

P.S: If you think Jimny's auto start/stop is a good implementation, your bar is too low.
It may not be the best out there but it works well for me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Stop start implementation in the Jimny is "crudest" of all marutis. It’s not discrete and neither is it smooth or fast. It does not have an integrated starter generator that all other stop-start marutis have which provide a very seamless, silent and quick start. There is a big difference between how baleno stop-starts and how jimny does.

If you find other ownership experiences as honeymoon period yours must be the first night
I find no delay in the start-stop, so far it is very prompt and responds with alacrity. Perhaps after 4-5 years when the newly engineering things start fading it might become a headache. Does the Baleno come with a tiny lithium battery for its auto-start-stop functionality? I have not driven a Baleno so I will take your word for it. However the complaints about the start-stop feature not being retained after a manual engine-off event are misplaced I feel. It is meant to be used temporarily and selectively in anticipation of traffic jam conditions that move every 30 secs or so for example and designed to not be permanently switched off. I think Suzuki was feeling the pressure of the emissions norms in EU and Japan when they designed it to be permanently on and temporarily off.

Will post my perspective first-impression review after 250 kms are done.

Last edited by Ragul : 15th August 2023 at 12:27.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 12:37   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the Baleno come with a tiny lithium battery for its auto-start-stop functionality?
The current Baleno has ISG but without any tiny lithium battery so thats moot.
Old 15th August 2023, 13:09   #1665
BHPian

Can anyone confirm 100% if the auto start off can be switched off natively. Not some hack. Even if it means pressing the setting each time the car is started. It's a total deal breaker if this setting cannot be switched off. Asking for AT Alpha.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks