Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2023, 19:14   #1381
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

"Powered ECU" now available in Japan for the Jimny Sierra (JB74).

Maruti Jimny Review-22222224132_68f1.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-22222224085_cf79_o.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-22223007859_9db8_o.jpg

Quote:
If you feel that the power of Jimny Sierra (JB74) is "not enough", we recommend Showa Garage's "Powered ECU"
Quote:
Even though it has a displacement of 1500cc, the power is not enough on the highway" and "It is not light when starting in the city.
Quote:
For Sierra owners who are struggling in the same way, I would like to recommend the ECU rewrite menu "Powered ECU" at Showa Garage.
In the case of Jimny Sierra, it is easier to solve the "unsatisfactory" by rewriting this ECU

Information such as what characteristics the engine will have when replaced with a "Powered ECU" and how to rewrite it.

We have further increased power and torque by changing the settings of the programs that control the engine, specifically the fuel and air-fuel ratio, ignition timing, cam timing, and required torque.

Two types of Powered ECUs are available: the Powered ECU Spec1, which is compatible with regular gasoline, and the Powered ECU Spec2, which is compatible with high-octane gasoline for those who want aggressive driving. Both versions are programmed to match the potential of the engine, bringing out the inherent power of the 2cc engine.

Graph showing the change in torque and horsepower due to the installation of the stock ECU and the "Powered ECU".

Maruti Jimny Review-22222224032_b454_o.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-23103402404_29f7_o.jpg

Quote:
The Jimny Sierra AT specification acceleration when driving in the city and the engine speed at 100km / h cruising are about 3000 rpm, but both "Powered ECUs" have improved torque of 3000 ~ 3500 rpm, and you should feel the power when you step on the accelerator. As if the displacement has increased, you will be able to enjoy "roominess" so much that you can feel the room even in one gear higher.

Since the power check graph is measured with the accelerator fully open, you may feel that there are few power-ups in appearance, especially for regular specifications. However, you can experience the torque increase and good luck in areas not displayed in the graph, such as when you start to step on the accelerator, in the partial range, and when you step back on the accelerator.
Quote:
see in the graph of the second high-octane gasoline "Powered ECU Spec2", the torque and power have increased significantly from more than 2 rpm. For those who are looking for strength in the entire area, we recommend the "Powered ECU Spec2500".
Setting it to "Powered ECU", the upper speed limit of cruise control can be changed to 120km / h (JC grade only).

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th July 2023 at 19:16.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 20:04   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Finally 3 weeks after seeing my Jimny in the flesh laid my hands on the critter. Took delivery earlier today. First impressions in no particular order.

1. Awesome ride and the perfect tool for ignoring all those idiosyncratic flaws thrown at us in the name of road building.
2. One of the few vehicles in which the sight of a rough road actually makes you excited!
3. The engine and gearbox are made for a laid back style of driving.
4. The transmission whine. It's a sound that I am really not used to. Made me stop the car a few times and engage and disengage the 4WD just to make sure I was not driving in 4wD.
5. Creature comforts are top notch given the type of vehicle it is. Wireless Android sent me into raptures.
6. The tyres look perfect to me. Not planning an upgrade in the near future.
7. Steering weight feels fine to me. Not very hard not very light.
8. Felt easy and agile to pilot.
9. All round visibility is great. Especially the wing mirrors.

Maruti Jimny Review-polish_20230715_200337812.jpg

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 20:53   #1383
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I got some time yesterday to test drive the Jimny Alpha AT.

Below are my observations:

Visibility:
  • I am 5'3" and I adjusted the seat for my comfort and I was able to see the bonnet. If the seat height adjuster was then it will be much better. In my Alto I use a pillow on the seat to get clear view.
  • Since the A-Pillar is almost straight, there was no blind spots.
Ride Quality:
  • I did not felt any vibration when going on the rumble strips. The suspension is great.
  • At one point of the straight road I felt that the Jimny was pulling a little towards the left. Most probably there must some alignment issue from the factory.
Engine Power and Noise:
  • Since I test drove the AT, the response was sluggish. I will definitely test drive MT when it's available.
  • There was some engine noise even when all the windows were rolled up. This may be because of the AT as it tries to maintain higher RPM. I did not find time to press the OD button.
Seating Concern:
  • The seating capacity of the Jimny is defiantly for 4 people. The belt buckles at the middle in the rear seat will be touching the back side of the person who wants to seat there.
Colour options:
  • I wanted Silver but it's not available on the Indian version of the Jimny even though other Nexa cars have silver colour.
Engine Bay:
  • Since the engine and transmission are mounted in longitudinal, the space at the battery is cramped whereas on the other side its fully empty.
  • There was some soft carpet type material mounted on the fire-wall. If too much dirt gets accumulated then it will be very difficult to clean and dry it.
Observations:
  • On the rear dip real there were 2 plastic clips provided and I don't whats the usage of it. I have highlighted these clips in yellow boxes. Picture courtesy: T-BHP review.
    Maruti Jimny Review-jimnydiprailclips.jpg
Safety:
  • The indicator at the rear is positioned at a very low level and it will very difficult for the rear vehicles drivers to see it. It should have been positioned at a some higher position.

Last edited by bobbyblr : 15th July 2023 at 20:54.
bobbyblr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 08:25   #1384
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the best grills I have seen on the Jimny.
It is a genuine Suzuki accessory available in many countries but not India.
Part number SKU 9911C-78R00-ZSC.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20230715wa0055.jpg  

ecosport rules is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 13:34   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. If you don't mind sharing, what did you pay for MCP. They just asked me to pay Rs 8800 (typed 8100 by mistake) for 2yr/20000 Kms.
I negotiated the total amount for insurance, extended warranty, etc. and didn’t focus on itemisation. I managed to log in to the Maruti Rewards app. Instead of entire VIN try TEMP<last six digits of VIN>. This was mentioned in the sms that MSIL sent for service reminder. Extended warranty is updated in the app but MCP isn’t. I will visit the dealership on some weekday to check the status of MCP.

——

Managed to find a bottle that fits the door pocket of Jimny.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3772.jpeg

And some clicks from recent drives. Quite fun to drive this in the monsoon. Reassuring grip and no anxiety about water logging although, there’s none in Noida.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3771.jpeg
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3247.jpeg
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3260.jpeg
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3261.jpeg
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3259.jpeg
Biraj is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 16:20   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post

Managed to find a bottle that fits the door pocket of Jimny.

Are those illuminated door sill guards? How are they powered? Did it require any cutting-splicing of wires?
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 17:18   #1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Are those illuminated door sill guards? How are they powered? Did it require any cutting-splicing of wires?
Even I wanted to know about this. My accessories in charge told me that splicing of wire is required. I asked him not to splice & hence I have the illuminated sill guard connected without any illumination! Why there is no coupler available is what I am wondering!
Old 16th July 2023, 18:19   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Sharing a friend's hilarious take on his Jimny.

"I recently embarked on an epic journey of automotive absurdity when I became the proud owner of a yellow Jimny 5-door. If you’re wondering why I chose a colour that screams “hello, world!” in the loudest possible way, well, my friends, I believe life is too short to drive around in dull shades. So here I am, basking in the glory of a car that can light up a dimly lit room just by parking outside.

Now, let me share the ups and downs of my vibrant ownership journey with you.

Colour : Let’s start with the obvious: the colour. Yes, my friends, I own a sunshine-yellow Jimny that is impossible to miss. It’s like driving around in a big, friendly banana on wheels. People’s reactions range from confused stares to instant grins… It’s a guaranteed mood booster! It’s impossible to go unnoticed in this sunny beast. Pedestrians stop and stare, cars slow down just to get a better look, and let’s not even get started on the number of banana-related jokes I’ve endured. But hey, it’s all worth it for the attention, right? . The Jimny has the power to illuminate an entire neighborhood during a power outage. Picture a sunny day, and suddenly this yellow titan comes into view, turning heads and causing sunglasses to fog up from the sheer brilliance.

Design : Jimny’s shape is nothing short of adorable. It’s like a pocket-sized SUV on steroids, making all other cars on the road feel like they’re compensating for something. It’s like owning a four-wheeled ray of sunshine that brings a smile to my face every time I step into it. The moment I laid eyes on this cute little box on wheels, I knew I had to own it. One thing I must highlight is the attention to detail in the Jimny’s design. The round headlights make it look like a determined little creature, squinting at the world with determination. And the boxy shape? It’s like driving around in a Lego car! I half expect to see little plastic bricks falling out every time I turn a sharp corner. It’s a nostalgic reminder of my childhood days, and the kid in me just can’t stop grinning.

Driving Experience: Driving this thing is an absolute blast. It may not be the fastest car on the road, but it compensates with its charm and nimbleness. Whenever I zoom around town, it feels like I’m riding a roller coaster designed by LEGO. The Jimny’s compact size and responsive handling make it perfect for navigating narrow city streets, and parking in cramped spaces is a piece of cake. Plus, the elevated driving position allows me to see over other cars, giving me a sense of superiority (or so I like to think). The engine under the hood is like a caffeine-addicted squirrel on steroids. It might not break any speed records, but it’s zippy and agile, making it perfect for city driving. Plus, the Jimny’s handling is so responsive that it feels like you’re driving a remote-controlled car. Driving this yellow beast feels like being the star of a high-speed chase scene in a classic comedy movie.

Off Roading: This pint-sized warrior surprises everyone with its capabilities. With the Jimny’s 4WD system and excellent ground clearance, it tackles trails that would make mountain goats tremble.

Interiors: The interior design is simple and utilitarian. Don’t expect fancy gadgets or cutting-edge technology. Don’t expect to fit a circus troupe in here, but it’s cozy and functional. The yellow theme continues inside, with bits of sunshine sprinkled all over the cabin. It’s like driving in a never-ending summer. And while the legroom isn’t exactly ample, who needs legroom when you can have a panoramic view of the world from the elevated driving position? You’ll feel like a king surveying their yellow domain. And let’s not forget the rear seats — more like a space reserved for your friends who are on a quest to find their long-lost flexibility.

Engine Power: Now, let’s address the elephant in the room—the engine power. The yellow Jimny won’t win any drag races, that’s for sure. It’s not built for speed demons but rather for those who enjoy the journey itself. Embrace the slow pace, and you’ll find yourself appreciating the scenery and the puzzled faces of drivers stuck behind you. The Jimny may not be the fastest car on the planet, but it makes up for it with its undeniable charm. It handles corners like a playful puppy chasing its tail, and the ride is so bumpy it could rival a roller coaster. Whenever I hit a pothole, I can’t help but let out a gleeful “Whee!” as if I’m on a theme park ride. It’s therapeutic, trust me.

Fuel Efficiency : In terms of fuel efficiency, the Jimny surprisingly performs admirably. I suspect it draws energy from the sheer joy it exudes, as I’ve yet to see the fuel gauge move significantly. It’s like a perpetual motion machine, except instead of defying physics, it defies the need for frequent gas station visits Let’s just say that a thirsty camel in the Sahara has nothing on this bad boy. But if you are planning a long road trip, be prepared to stop at every gas station known to mankind. But hey, at least it gives you a chance to stretch your legs, grab a cup of coffee, and show off your charismatic ride to fellow fuel station patrons.

Space: One of the first things you’ll notice is the interior space—or lack thereof. Unless you’re a contortionist, fitting five full-sized adults into this little box is a challenge. Legroom becomes a luxury, and elbows will inevitably collide. But hey, it’s a small price to pay for the joys of owning such a funky vehicle.

Boot Space: Let’s not forget the practicality of this mighty vehicle. The boot space may not be enormous, but it’s big enough for a suitcase or two, which means spontaneous road trips are always on the cards. I call it my “instant vacation mobile.”

In conclusion : if you’re in the market for a car that radiates sunshine, conquers off-road trails like a champ, and squeezes every ounce of joy out of life, the yellow Jimny 5-door is the one for you. Just remember, you’ll be driving a car that attracts attention like a celebrity in a sequin suit, so be ready for the occasional thumbs-up, waves, and even requests for selfies. Embrace the yellow fever, my friends, and let the world bask in your automotive radiance! Owning a yellow Jimny 5-door is like having a never-ending source of smiles, laughter, and good vibes. It turns heads, brings joy to strangers, and injects every journey with a healthy dose of quirkiness. It may not be the flashiest car out there, but it has a personality that’s larger than life"

Note: Shiv, a friend from bangalore is the Proud Owner of the Yellow Jimny 5 door.

Mod Note: Link to original article: https://forum.simplyjimny.com/t/livi...-adventure/252
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230716_181906_852.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th July 2023 at 17:16. Reason: Adding source
ecosport rules is offline   (121) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 19:05   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
I didn’t supervise it, however, it generally is drawn from the cabin light. I was told no splicing is done as the required harness and couplers are included in the packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshrcp View Post
My accessories in charge told me that splicing of wire is required.
These are being sold directly by Maruti and with the level of part sharing/optimisation they do, I would be really surprised if they don’t have the required couplers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Illuminated Door Sill Guard - Tread Metal Jimny….pdf (599.4 KB, 288 views)
Biraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 19:23   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Sharing a friend's hilarious take on his Jimny.

"I recently embarked on an epic journey of automotive absurdity when I became the proud owner of a yellow Jimny 5-door. It may not be the flashiest car out there, but it has a personality that’s larger than life"

Note: Shiv ,a friend from bangalore is the Proud Owner of the Yellow Jimny 5 door.
What an absolutely lovely, light-hearted piece of descriptive prose. I enjoyed reading every single word. Please compliment your friend on his excellent penmanship! And yes! It appears that more and more people are beginning to appreciate the plucky little Jimny for what it is! And that makes me very happy indeed because all the earlier negativity aired in multiple posts is melting away like mist in the sunshine.
shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 19:47   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I negotiated the total amount for insurance, extended warranty, etc. and didn’t focus on itemisation. I managed to log in to the Maruti Rewards app. Instead of entire VIN try TEMP<last six digits of VIN>. This was mentioned in the sms that MSIL sent for service reminder. Extended warranty is updated in the app but MCP isn’t. I will visit the dealership on some weekday to check the status of MCP.
Thank you very much for the reply. I too got my MRA access sorted. For me, it was DMY<Last six vin digits>. And yes, I too can't see the MCP and was told by the dealership that it will be resolved in the coming week.
Old 16th July 2023, 22:12   #1392
BHPian

Trying to connect Smartplay Pro Sync App to check OTA updates.
Tried connecting this app through iPhone & also through Android phone. However either Bluetooth doesn’t get connected or wifi fails to connect. If by any chance both get connected, then message stating ‘Incorrect vehicle details’ flashes.

I understand that updates, if any, can also be downloaded on a pen drive from Suzuki Global Infotainment System Portal website & then it can be transferred to Head Unit. To do so one has select model code/software version. However software ver: 80TA of Jimny Smartplay Pro + Infotainment System does not appear in Global Infotainment System Portal.

If any of our members have connected this app then please let me know how it has been done.
Old 17th July 2023, 00:25   #1393
Team-BHP Support

I took a test drive with a view of replacing my Polo

The test drive vehicle had completed 2000+km but rear tyres were worn. Interiors were a little grubby but there was not a creak or a squeak.

Took it onto the beginning of the NICE Road. I had jumped into this from a Mini Cooper S so the contrast effect meant that the understeer and roll was evident. Performance was a bit underwhelming under acceleration. We took it off-road to a muddy area and an adjoining construction site. It was like driving on a normal road. I even took a U Turn and drove over a mound of building material on an incline, scaring a fellow mod, there was not even a scrape.

The transmission is whiney and I felt the driver seat was a little cramped. Dont talk about the rear seats. I still dont think it is worth Rs 19L unless you use the four wheel capability and rough road ability.

Maybe, I should try it again within the city centre to get more context. It was fun but am not sure if it is something for me to live with.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th July 2023 at 08:29.
ajmat is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 14:17   #1394
BHPian

Hi all,
More than 5 months of booking the Jimny, I had a test drive of the same. By now the expectations have turned from euphoria to anger at the pricing and finally settled into mild curiosity of whether I really need the Jimny to replace my Thar. Initial looks were very promising as the side profile of Jimny seemed longer

Maruti Jimny Review-tharjimny.jpg

From then on it was not looking so good. For instance, road view of kids in front is definitely lesser than Thar because of the seat height.

Maruti Jimny Review-bonnet.jpg

Side view of my 7 year old son for reference.

Maruti Jimny Review-bonnetside.jpg

Finally took the test drive which turned out to be a real deal breaker for two reasons. One is that the test drive vehicle is not registered yet and hence cannot be driven for long distances to see what the Jimny is really capable of and two, driving a slow moving snail on reasonably good tarmac leaves more negatives than positives in the mind of the potential buyer or sucker depending on how you look at it. One has to literally catch the Jimny by the scruff to wrangle out any semblance of pick up. The mileage indicator was reading 5.9KMPL which meant that all the test drives was on a half kilometre circle where the customer has only option to do and that is to floor it to the max to see what it can do.The commitment or the lack of it from the Sales Adviser did not help matters much. I think that the high amount of bookings for the Jimny has made Maruti in general very lethargic.
I haven't yet cancelled my booking but I think I will given that it might not be a capable replacement for my Thar. Truth be told, I have put Rhino suspension and fibre hard top on my Thar which makes it a relatively silent and comfortable ride, and has the lowest efficiency of 7KMPL on 4L 4WD and I'm pretty sure that I cant expect the same from the Jimny. I think the current lot of bookings have more to do with anything other than the true purpose of Jimny. For now, it is way over priced and underpowered to suit my requirements.
Given my predicament the famous Eagles song " After the thrill is gone" comes to mind.
Same dancers in the same old shoes
Get too careful with the steps you choose
You don't care about winning, but you don't want to lose
After the thrill is gone....
Neil Roy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 15:00   #1395

Completed 675 Km in my KY Jimny AT . This was a replacement for my Santro AT and the primary purpose was as a city car and for weekend farm/fun trips.

Its a great fit for my need.

As a City Car :

As easy as driving a Santro but much more exciting . I have done multiple airport and railway station drives with family and elders , no one seemed to complain other that the obvious difficulty for parents with getting in and out.
Its a great car for relaxed driving around 80-100 range. Engine will be around 2.5K RPM. The suspension setup is great , it can handle almost anything thrown at it. I did not consider Thar since I usually have rear passengers and have parking space constraints.

Few observations :

- Larger turning radius , need to be ready for 3 point turns.
- Steering is on the heavy side and its a tad slower to respond.
- Easy to handle bumper to bumper traffic (lack of turbo helps here IMO)
- Head lights are great
- Great visibility , really wished they provided a height adjustable seat.
- FE is around 10.5 Km/L (90% City driving) .
lrpetrolhead is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks