Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2023, 11:08   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

I visited the local Nexa showroom along with my father, brother and nephew to have a look at the Jimny. We don't have any serious intention to buy the Jimny, so this visit was more a family outing than anything else. Take my views as those of someone evaluating a Rs.18L car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
• Build quality is more solid than you’d expect of a Maruti. Even the interiors feel hard-wearing (note: plastic quality is nothing to write home about)
Agree with this completely. It took me by surprise. The doors have some heft and the interiors also feel solid. After looking at the Jimny, we also checked out the other new(ish) car, the Fronx, and the Jimny certainly felt better built.

The other surprise, was how narrow it is on the inside, even though I already knew that it's a small car. We went to the showroom in a Dzire, which is not a big car either. But it still has much more room than in the Jimny, in terms of width. In terms of legroom, the Jimny has enough in both the front and rear for a person of my height (5'8").

Lack of driver's seat height adjustment is a miss. In terms of visibility, the seat height was OK for me. But I would prefer to sit a bit lower. With the fixed seat height, the armrest on the door was useless to me.

All around visibility is a definite plus.

The rear seat is again set high and I would've preferred a slightly lower seating. Under-thigh support is lacking. Lack of width means that accommodating three in the rear seat will be uncomfortable for all.

The rudimentary MID and especially the retro instrument cluster feel out of place in a car launched in 2023, but of course, I get the nostalgia it is trying to invoke.

Overall I think unless you have a lifestyle that suits the purpose the Jimny is built for, your 18L are better spent elsewhere.
StarrySky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 12:06   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsai View Post
Hi All, what is the correct PSI for the 215 Geolanders? i asked the tyre shop guy to put 26PSI but i think he put 22 PSI, drove with around 22 PSI for the first few hundred KMs including a highway run, car was bobbing on highway and was not feeling planted at all,even the drive train felt a little strained, will it cause any mechanical damage? after i put in 26 everything is great!
Hi Jimny owners who have upgraded to 215 Geolanders, look forward to your suggestions!!
Old 9th July 2023, 12:12   #1308
BHPian

Something I'd like to request BHPians, who promote law abiding behaviour: please don't mention ability/disability to fit 5 people in Jimny back seat. It is RTO approved for 4, will be unlawful/dangerous to attempt otherwise.
dsr001 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 13:53   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaycruizer View Post
Not painted. The Yoko Geolanders come in two versions, normal & LT.
The LT version has white lettering & costs couple of hundred more than the non-LT.

Attachment 2473161
The white lettering on the LT tyres sure look good. The LT tyres will probably be heavier, stiffer and noisier. Its a pity that the regular tyres (P) don't have this option.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 21:30   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Jimny Speaker Upgrade

Stock jimny speakers are about 5 inch in diameter and speaker upgrade was amongst the top priorities and thats been done. Plug n play, no cutting, no splicing. Speakers 6 inch are Pioneer TSC1630S-II components. I have only done the front door, and did not get time to do the rear doors. Have not done any damping and don't intend to do that. The speakers sound a hundred times better than the stock. Maybe I will add a discrete amp later, but for now I don't feel the need.

Maruti Jimny Review-1.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-2.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-3.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-4.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-5.jpg
Sankar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 02:23   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jimny Speaker Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Stock jimny speakers are about 5 inch in diameter and speaker upgrade was amongst the top priorities and thats been done. Plug n play, no cutting, no splicing. Speakers 6 inch are Pioneer TSC1630S-II components. I have only done the front door, and did not get time to do the rear doors]
Fantastic,I have been longing to upgrade the speakers on my Jimny and still on research mode.
You made it easy for us.
Please let us know the source and cost of the component set.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 09:09   #1312
BHPian

Anyone has Jimny's ARAI approval document. I am curious to know the dimensions declared by Suzuki.
Is the height including roof rack approved?
Old 10th July 2023, 09:23   #1313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Fantastic,I have been longing to upgrade the speakers on my Jimny and still on research mode.
You made it easy for us.
Please let us know the source and cost of the component set.
The 6 inch Pioneer is a rare speaker and you would need to find a way to import it.

I think the best option is to get a 5.25 inch component set for the front doors and a rear coax.

Not all 6 inch components will fit except for custom designed ones for Jimny like what Sankar got.

I'm planning on 5.25 components but still deciding on the brand. I have an amp and subwoofer already from my older car.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 12:18   #1314
BHPian

JImny Modified by Azad 4*4, New Delhi. Interesting looking bumper and stealth Snorkel is just superb ! Interior accessories are also shown !

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 12:40   #1315

I took delivery of my Jimny a few days back. Drove around 400+ kms. I am extremely satisfied with the vehicle, except for the below reason.
I found my vehicle pulling itself towards the left while driving. Seems to have an alignment issue. But found in some Facebook & WhatsApp groups that it's a manufacturing defect & is reported by owners across India. Curious to know whether it's true. Also, would like to hear opinion from dear members on how to tackle this issue.

PS: I haven't done any mod on the vehicle. It's in stock condition.
I have informed my dealer about the issue. They asked me to take my vehicle to the service center for a fix. But as per a user experience which I came across in a WhatsApp group, he did give his vehicle at the dealership for a fix and dealer is now testing the vehicle extensively without a direction.
ganeshrcp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 13:19   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshrcp View Post
PS: I haven't done any mod on the vehicle. It's in stock condition.
I have informed my dealer about the issue. They asked me to take my vehicle to the service center for a fix. But as per a user experience which I came across in a WhatsApp group, he did give his vehicle at the dealership for a fix and dealer is now testing the vehicle extensively without a direction.
Get the alignment checked from a reputed third-party shop. This could probably be a simple alignment issue.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 13:28   #1317
Senior - BHPian

I recall my old Zen would take 5.25 inch and I got it from Dubai. Is this the same dimension or 6 inch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 6 inch Pioneer is a rare speaker and you would need to find a way to import it.
Old 10th July 2023, 16:47   #1318
BHPian

Initial driving impression after two weeks of ownership

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2982.jpeg

Have done around 650 km on my Jimny AT in the past couple of weeks including a drive to a farmhouse near Sariska. The early impressions after driving the Jimny on city roads, expressways, some broken state highways, a small ghat section, heavy downpours, and a tiny bit of track are extremely positive. I absolutely love my decision to go for the Jimny.

While the numbers (104 BHP and 134.2 Nm torque) don’t sound very promising, after driving it on different types of roads and conditions, I find it quite adequate for its purpose. It cruised effortlessly on the expressway at 110-120 kmph. At 100, it’s around 2900 rpm and there seems to be enough power on tap to overtake the trucks and other slow-moving traffic. I like the fact that the car has been tuned for staying in the peak torque range rather than fuel efficiency. So, unless one is a hypermiler, the performance is adequate enough for cruising on our highways and expressways. I turned the OD (overdrive) off on ghat sections and never struggled to overtake slower traffic on it. The car seems eager to drop a gear on the inclines and while overtaking. It does get loud during the overtakes and climbing inclines thus, I am considering adding sound deadening to the bonnet. Wind noise is well-contained, however, the roof rails are making a booming noise. I believe it’s because of two plates on the rear roof rail. Not sure about the function of those plates so, planning to get them removed soon.

Jimny really feels at home on the broken state highways and internal roads. Nothing seems to faze it and the car always feels in control. The ride quality for a body-on-frame SUV is phenomenal. My Fiats (Linea T-jet and Punto) spoiled me with their ride quality and I am glad I wouldn’t need to change that part of my driving style in the Jimny. The change of tyres has improved the ride quality even further. The rear doesn’t seem to bounce as much as it did on the first day (perhaps I am getting used to this car and have learnt how to manage it).

The steering weighed up at speeds but the resistance it offered seemed unnatural almost as if the system is overcompensating. All my previous cars have had amazing and direct hydraulic steerings thus, I may find the effect more pronounced. It seems to require more steering wheel turns than what my Linea requires. However, taking the hairpin turns or U-turns wasn’t difficult as the long Linea has prepared me well. It’s light and easy at parking speeds. Overall, it’s better than what I expected from an electric power steering but I wish it came with hydraulic power steering.

I haven’t tried taking corners at speed as I don’t feel comfortable pushing a high-ground clearance SUV around corners. The physics of it doesn’t make sense to me. So, that’s one adjustment I have had to make. The fuel efficiency in the city is around 9 and highways between 11-12 kmpl with my driving style. Which may improve with time but even now it’s good for me.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3055.jpeg

Overall it is adequately powered and feels in total control at reasonable speeds. Jimny has the potential to be a good touring car for solo drivers, couples, and small families. I read a few opinions that stated it would be torturous to reach mountains from the plains on this. As someone with the experience of considerable long-distance touring on the Linea T-jet, I can confidently say, that’s not the case. Yes, it would have been nice to have more power and perhaps many owners would bump up the power once reliable aftermarket solutions reach our shores but it’s certainly not the slouch that many are calling it.

The upgrades made until now:

Switched the tyres to Continental Cross Contact AT (215/75/R15)

Maruti Jimny Review-tyre-comparison-.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2942.jpeg

Evaluated multiple options for 215/75/R15. The salesperson suggested the 235/70/R15 size, saying another Jimny he’d worked on looked great with those tyres. I stuck to 215/75 as it seemed a more reasonable choice to me.

Yokohama Geolanders were the lightest, with Continental Cross Contact and Goodyear Silentrac being about the same. The dealer recommended the Continental tyres as the Yokos have softer sidewalls, making them more prone to punctures. Since both brands were similarly priced and in stock (from the 13th/14th week of 2023), I saw no reason to doubt his advice on this. Replaced four tyres, given that the spare wheel cover I’d bought wouldn’t fit a wider tyre.

Got JK Tyre TPMS installed. It’s an app-based system and works with Apple CarPlay. So, quite convenient.

Installed bespoke seat covers

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2999.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2998.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2951.jpeg

I was skeptical about the seat covers, since they required the removal of the seats and some tinkering around. However, the owner of the manufacturing unit showed the work being done on various vehicles (a Hycross, Grand Vitara, XUV 700, and a Fronx) with airbags, all of which were at different stages of completion. After some deliberation, I decided to go ahead with the custom fitment. The seats offer much better support and comfort now particularly, the under-thigh support has improved considerably. The OEM seats, despite being comfortable, were a bit too soft for my liking. Moreover, my wife wasn’t happy with the position of the seatbelt. The elevation of the seat due to additional foam seems to have fixed the issue. The best part - There is no rattling from the seat rails and, fortunately, no airbag-related warnings after the installation.

Pending upgrades:

I am yet to find an armrest that’s both aesthetically pleasing and comfortable. The seat cover manufacturer is confident that Jimny-compatible armrests will become available in a month or two. Will get it installed as soon as it becomes available as I sorely missed it during yesterday’s drive on the expressway.

May get the doors damped as the speakers are jarring. Would get the speakers upgraded to components that would fit the OEM location.

Closing thoughts

Although it’s still early days, I am delighted I chose the Jimny. It complements the Linea T-jet exceptionally well and may prove to be a reliable car to travel to places where taking T-jet induces anxiety. For a happily married, non-smoking, teetotal man with middle-class values, there are very few things one can legally spend on and feel good about. For me, it’s my car and watches. They bring me joy and make my weekends enjoyable after five workdays. Thus, I prioritised the smile that the Linea T-jet and Jimny bring to my face over many other practical considerations. Keeping my fingers crossed for the journey ahead.

A word of caution for those considering buying this car - I’d recommend waiting if you’re introverted. Let this car become popular or allow the initial euphoria to die down before buying it. There’s too much attention for comfort at this stage. While some attention is nice, some can be annoying. Particularly, the ones braking in front of the car to capture a photo/video through their IRVM.

Pics from the recent trip

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2954.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2957.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2960.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3059.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3057.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-sunkissed.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2986.jpeg

Gave the car some motivation

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3736.jpeg

Approved by Beegu

Maruti Jimny Review-img_2989.jpeg
Biraj is online now   (69) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 17:13   #1319
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Congratulations on your new ride!

I really love the color of your Jimny. Is this the Nexa Blue color? Or the bluish black?

Looks like the Nexa Blue of Jimny is a much darker shade than the blue offered on XL6, Baleno, etc? Or is it simply the camera playing tricks, and the color is same as that offered on other Nexa cars?

Last edited by PYSO : 10th July 2023 at 17:18.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 17:15   #1320
BHPian

Drove an upgraded JIMNY in the Ghats

As a Thar owner, I was curious to experience the Jimny in India ever since the launch date. I recently had the opportunity to drive my friend Akshay's customised Jimny on the Lonavala-Aamby Valley ghats. This particular Jimny (top spec manual) is the very first Jimny delivered in Navi Mumbai and it has been upgraded with the following goodies:-

1) Tanabe Japan adjustable suspension
This suspension setup has a 14 click damping adjustment (front & rear) along with front lift (adjustable 10-40mm approx) & rear lift (adjustable 5-35mm approx) which offers best of both on-road stability and off-road capability. Damping is currently set to 7 and lift currently set to +20 mm (front & rear).

2) Tanabe Japan steering damper
This provides an increased damping force while going over ruts, bumps and undulated surfaces.

3) Continental ContiCrossContact CCAT 215/75/R15 100T
These tyres are an ideal upsize over the stock HT tyres, offering better handling & stance without appearing too loud. I strongly believe that all 4x4's must have AT's at the very least, this is a must have upgrade for every Jimny!

The Tanabe suspension and steering damper was purchased from AM Racing, they're the official distributors for Tanabe & few other Japanese aftermarket brands. Installation was carried out at D&O Motorsports. (I'm not affiliated with these companies, merely sharing these details in case anyone needs further information).

I had the pleasure of driving this upgraded Jimny from Aamby Valley to Lonavala on the ghats. I drive a 2023 Thar with stock suspension (6000 kms on the odo) and right of the bat this suspension setup was mighty impressive! The way it absorbs bumps & yet provides ample feedback is just hard to believe! After the Thar, this felt like driving a go-kart thanks to the compact dimensions, lower kerb weight & upgraded suspension.

On this downhill stretch, i drove through fairly empty bits where i could carry decent speeds and experienced some heavy weekend traffic as well. Coming from a 2.0turbo + 6speed torque convertor equipped Thar, the lower bottom end grunt was evident (amplified by the manual gearbox) in heavy traffic conditions. However, this engine is very tractable on the move and once we get used to its power delivery characteristics it does a splendid job of maintaining good pace on the highways. Overall, i was positively impressed with this adorable little 4x4!

My friend will be getting some more tasty mods in the near future, such as a turbo/supercharger kit, big brake kit, off road bumpers, etc. This for sure is gonna be a fire-cracker build!

Maruti Jimny Review-picsart_230710_152629996.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-picsart_230710_153058763.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-picsart_230710_153453404.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-picsart_230710_153916391.jpg
Nair.V8 is offline   (47) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks