Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:27   #1216
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

A week back we happen to pass by the Nexa showroom in Chrompet (Chennai) so casually popped in to check out the Jimny for the first time, no test drives were available that time. First look, loved the compact footprint and the timeless boxy design. The SUV feel is evident as you try to get up and into the front seat, the front seats felt comfortable and offered great all round visibility and loved the truck like view of the entire bonnet. The cabin width is narrow and comparable to my Alto K10. It felt similar length to reach the passenger door from the driver's seat just like in my Alto. Me (5.6) and my friend (5.9) both of us average build checked out the back seat, once seated the leg space was good but the under thigh support was poor due to short seat base length which again felt similar to Alto K10. The two-step rear seat recline is a nice touch. The narrow cabin is evident at the back seat and adding a 3rd passenger in any sense of comfort is just impossible, attached image for reference. Overall, loved the Jimny's compact footprint, superb all round visibility and looks. Currently I'm not looking for a new car so the Jimny in its current price and 4x4 equipment felt irrelevant to me. May be a Jimny AT 2WD with 1.2L engine with sub 10L OTR price tag might be an attractive proposition but that's just my imagination

I understand that the Jimny isn't about space or comfort. This quick takeaway on the Jimny's space and comfort is to help someone to select or drop Jimny off their new car shortlist .

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230621-17.02.472.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230621-17.02.47-1.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230621-17.02.47-2.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230622-06.28.122.jpg
Torino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:30   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Cruise at 110k/h RPM is around 3100 does not feel strained, and eager to do more. Around 130k/h it rides stable and sure, but in strong crosswinds feels a bit skittish. With two up it will easily do 120+ which will surprise other folks because everyone expects it to be pathetically slow. It isn't fast, but not pathetically slow either. Tyre upgrade is probably good for even on-road usage if speeds are high. Being recirc ball steering it does not feel precise as a rack & pinion, but it is totally expected and the recirc type is a superior option for the type of vehicle it is. Also has nice return to center action. Did not find the large turning radius to be a problem during the drive probably because its a short & narrow vehicle and me used to a longer vehicle. Visibility is good due to slightly curving windscreen with vertical A pillars. When driven fast its a dipsomaniac.

PS: With E12 (current) and E20 (on the horizon) fuels, dipsomaniac is an appropriate term.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:11   #1218
BHPian

The Mrs. and i test drove the Jimny on a whim this weekend and boy did we come back impressed! The itch for a 4X4 started after we rented a Thar in Goa and that opened up to us the potential having such a tool in our garage. Much has been said about the pricing of the Jimny with people feeling that it is overpriced for what it offers. This got me curious and i spent some time this rainy Sunday looking up how it is priced in other markets (3 Door version) and the results are below. I think the India pricing is fair considering that we get the 5 Door version OR am i missing something?

PS: All prices are Top Spec AT models and are MSRP in most cases.

1 Australia-AUD $33,490/ INR 18,26,880
2 NZ- NZ $ 36,500/ INR 18,28,140
3 UAE-AED 78,000/ INR 17,39,400
4 South Africa-Rand 419,900/ INR 18,34,936
5 Mexico-USD $21,000/ INR 17,20,740
6 Portugal-Euro 28,000/INR 24,98,160
7 India (Bangalore) INR 18,40,000 (Alpha AT Single Tone)

Cheers!
Caadmara is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:55   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
To all the new owners and prospective customers, can there be a thread that has all the details of the accessories for Jimny? It can have details of all the accessories as well as the place/website from where it was procured alongwith the price and expected shipping time. .
As expected, the Jimny comes with a plethora of options to customize the interior space, spend some time strolling and choose the ones for you (while still waiting for a call from dealership :-))
Maruti Jimny Review-jimnystyle.png

LINK : Jimny Style
mpant05 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:41   #1220
BHPian

Here is an another option for the armrest to added in Jimny which is really easy to install out of the box itself. No screws, nothing is required ! This shall be available soon in India (if not available already!)

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:44   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's the same in all automatics of this era and technology. There is simply no transmission in regular cars that changes throttle map when you select OD off. The old 4 speed boxes have always been this way.
This text is from the 2012 Hyundai i20 user manual:

"O/D (Over Drive) system (if equipped) Pressing the O/D button cancels and engages the overdrive system. When the O/D system is cancelled, the O/D OFF indicator illuminates and the transaxle gear range is limited to 1st through 3rd. The transaxle will not shift to the 4th gear until the O/D button is pressed again to release the switch. When driving down a sloping road with the transaxle in O/D (4th), you can decrease the vehicle speed without using the brakes by pressing the O/D button. When the ignition is switched OFF, the O/D OFF mode is automatically cancelled."
Old 3rd July 2023, 17:02   #1222
BHPian

Took a test drive** of AT / Zeta / Red [~221 km on odo]. Some observations:

Looks/Interiors:
1. It is not that small a car. But it is a 4-seater for sure. Placing 3 adults in the back will not work -- maybe 2 adults + 1 child (below 10 years)
2. Looks smashing in red, and has a presence. Though the stature is low, but the vehicle will hold it's place amongst many on the road.
3. Interiors are well formed, and have most of the functions. Though I did miss an arm-rest in the middle.
4. Not sure about the off-roading mechanics, but the stock tires look good, and do the job well.
6. Is a unique design [extremely], and nothing like this is available on Indian roads as of now. I guess that is why it demands a premium price.
7. Body panels are well placed, but there are some wide gaps at places.
8. Overall the vehicle looks solid and well put together. Plastics / hard objects are tightly bolted in, and portray a sense of function over form [at times].
9. Decent boot space, but cannot place an airport suitcase horizontally. Just will not fit.

Drive / Ride [had never driven an AT before, so was quite smitten by the ease*]:
1. The mode shifter is smooth and does not give the feel of 'gear gates'. It seems more like a button. The shifter does the job, and immediately the car is ready to roll.
2. Moves forward without throttle input, and the pickup is linear and there is no surprise factor. Smooth pickup and the gears transition fluidly. [up or down]
3. Found the brakes to be really spongy in response. (are all ATs like this?) ; takes eons to engage and actually bring the car to a standstill.
4. Commanding and comfortable driving stance, but the steering is too thin on the Z variants. Bonnet visibility adds confidence, and minimal blind spots.
5. Road gaps, body undulation/sway could not be felt. Runs planted and firm, exhibiting stability.
6. Small vehicles give way -- well some [this is Gurgaon]!
7. With one passenger in the back, almost 50% of the inside rear view mirror's capture is killed off. Was not happy about this.
8. Reverse camera is handy and even shows an outline for the 5th wheel. Amazing.
9. Really robust suspension. The vehicle shines in this department. Just does.

----The dilemma: Is this worth the 17L.
-------The answer: Depends case to case. It is unique, 5 door, tested worldwide many years, offers experiential driving, is a life style altering device [for sure].

----Overall:
The vehicle has the ethos and spirit of an off-roader which will go anywhere/anytime. Urban or Jungle. Family or Single.
-------Verdict:
Will book, once the waiting simmers down. Is 24 weeks as of now.

*the car salesman sitting next to me: kept telling me to not rest my hand on the shifter while driving. Habit from manual driving life long. I honestly did not know where to keep my left hand.
**Competent Nexa, Sector 34, Gurgaon. Well behaved staff, and friendly. Showroom was mostly empty, so had a good time with the car, and test drive. No rush for anything. Am Happy.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2023 at 22:01. Reason: As requested; typo
asingh1977 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:28   #1223

Had a chance to take a brief look at the Jimny when we visited Nexa - Vipul Motors, Noida to TD the Baleno as my cousin's first car. This is a beautiful car having just the right size & looks to stand out on roads.

This car can make for a great daily driver with the ground clearance advantage & compact dimensions. Haven't driven it yet but planning on doing it shortly. I am actively following this car as a replacement for our new 5 year old Petrol Auto Creta. Though, the two cars are poles apart, but with our use case of single user commutes within NCR, it makes for a great addition to the garage.

I mean no offence to its off road ability & intend to try my hand at it if we go ahead with the purchase. But, looking at this vehicle from a different point of view & the versatility it offers.

The dealer told me a waiting period of 7-8 months when I asked casually but I believe it would come down once the initial hype settles.
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:34   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny opens its sales/ dispatch numbers in the Indian auto segment.

Does a respectable 3500+ units while Fronx does 8000+ units.

Quote:
FRONX for which we have some limitation of supplies about 8,000 to 10,000 and Jimny, which did about 3,500 plus last month.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd July 2023 at 18:36.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:51   #1225
BHPian

Finally test drove the Jimny today very briefly in Alpha MT guise. We have a booking since early Feb, for use in the hills. The engine performance was honestly a bit disappointing. The rest of the vehicle lives up to the promise. Indestructible and compact like the Gypsy, but with the ride comfort, build quality and safety kit of a Gypsy fan’s dreams. And the ride quality in particular is honestly beyond my wildest dreams. It’s ironic that the worst riding car we’ve ever had could have turned into this absolute beauty.

I remember driving from Dehradun to Barkot and back in a day in the Gypsy, just after the tragic 2013 floods, roads completely destroyed, with a bad back. I would lift my behind off the seat, one foot planted on the floor, and the other on the gas. It was so bad I nearly turned around halfway to take the Duster instead. This Jimny is so good you’ll know you’ve taken the right car out even on roads like that!

But I was expecting more from the K15 engine given my recent test drives with the new GV and also the S-Cross. This felt closer to the Punto 1.2 which has always been a dog in the uphill overtakes on the Mussoorie climb. While overtakes are best avoided, especially if there is a series of vehicles, you sometimes get stuck behind overloaded vehicles or unskilled tourists. The Punto is a ~15 seconds 0-100 car. It’s a fun car, so long as you’re going downhill! The S-Cross K15 is 12.3 seconds in Bunny Punia’s GPS test. Subjectively it is quite adequate if revved hard uphill, and any reasonable overtaking demand will be met. The 3-door Jimny is a similar performer in international VBOX tests, despite being about 100 kg lighter than the S-Cross (and 130 kg lighter than the 5D Jimny.) Clearly there is a performance penalty with a 4x4 vehicle. I’m worried that the 5D Jimny subjectively felt closer to the Punto, although I didn’t have enough time with it. Moreover, the engine felt and sounded strained, and there is a prospect that it will be a tiresome companion uphill. I hope my brief impressions will be belied in a longer drive later. I didn’t like the shift quality much either, which could again be a hassle as you shift down to second for each overtake, but if the MT felt slow the AT is best avoided altogether.

It feels like the move from the 3-door to 5-door Jimny has compromised two things rather more than I had hoped: engine performance and turning radius. We’ll still be getting it, but uphill overtakes could be dicey. I hope I’m wrong.
Vikram9193 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 22:45   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki Jimny opens its sales/ dispatch numbers in the Indian auto segment.

Does a respectable 3500+ units while Fronx does 8000+ units
Is it only me who is waiting for the Jimny despite of booking on 12th January, 2023; and in the same city where Jimny is manufactured?
Old 3rd July 2023, 23:02   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
Finally test drove the Jimny today very briefly in Alpha MT guise.
Thanks for the review. Feedback from your longer test drive is eagerly awaited.

I have booked a manual but have’t got to see one yet. How is the ergonomics in terms of dead pedal vs travel and hardness of clutch?
IB290 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 23:10   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
We’ll still be getting it, but uphill overtakes could be dicey. I hope I’m wrong.
This sums it up perfectly. A person who wants a Jimny will buy a Jimny, end of argument ! All this review and test drive 'drama' we are doing is just to find one more reason to buy it. If it works in our favour, give us something to cheer about, the drive is worth it, otherwise we are buying it anyway
mpant05 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 07:26   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Is it only me who is waiting for the Jimny despite of booking on 12th January, 2023; and in the same city where Jimny is manufactured?
This is surprising. All this while I was wondering the deliveries are happening fast in the North, owing to transportation delays for the south.

I was wondering it's just me waiting for my Jimny booked on Jan 12th like you sir. What colour and model did you book?

The only relief is I got the call from the SA team lead yesterday asking me whether I was aware that Sizzling Red Alpha comes with black roof from factory.

I said I know that.

To which he replied back about a mail they are sending to the Company requesting a Sizzling Red.

I said thank you and asked the reason for mail.
He said they are getting random allocation of the colour and models in limited number.

Requests have to be made as they have backlogs and few customer colour choices.

Hope mine is delivered in this month.

Too much of TeamBhp Jimny thread, YouTube videos of Jimny mods and browsing accessories every day is leading to Jimny phantasmagoria.

Not that I'm bored or complaining of these 3 things.

Drive Safe.

Last edited by matchvan : 4th July 2023 at 07:35.
matchvan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 08:09   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I'm still waiting. Booked on launch day at noon.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks