Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 15:39   #1141
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayan_Ice View Post

I keep coming back to this thread because, and I don't know why, I feel like having been taken for a ride by MSIL. Which has had the same reaction of hitting a huge pothole on one of our highways. I should have expected it, but it pisses me off regardless.

This far and no further. Unless I buy this car in the future, I swear off this thread here.
While venting out your disappointment regarding Jimny/ other Over-priced Cars in the Indian Market, it would have been great if you had also listed out 10 rightly-priced cars (in your opinion) too. However, that discussion might also have drifted off-topic.

Notwithstanding, "Moving On" from Price-related discussions of Jimny is a great decision you have taken; since this thread seems to be now focusing on other relevant aspects of the vehicle.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 15:43   #1142
Team-BHP Support

I got to see the invoice; the Basic value is 10,37 Lac. So Maruti gets this amount and the rest to the government. Out of this, they have to absorb the freight across India, pay margins to the dealership, and take care of warranties. And this is the same product (maybe minus some features) sold everywhere: 6 Airbags, steel of the same thickness that goes in export models. Keeping aside expenses in distribution, the company itself has to make money.

No wonder Suzuki will be happy to sell more via export, where they can sell more than twice the prices here.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230629-3.43.52-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th June 2023 at 15:45.
Turbanator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 15:51   #1143
BHPian

The bluish black colorway with Evo Corse bronze wheels looks sublime. PC - 6th Mile Customs on Instagram.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230629_155004.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th July 2023 at 04:16. Reason: Added some. EDIT: Typos fixed, picture inserted in-line.
kesh4munni is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:08   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I got to see the invoice
Quick question, is this billed with a GST registration directly from Maruti? I'm asking as usually there is CGST and SGST and not IGST.
Old 29th June 2023, 16:15   #1145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Quick question, is this billed with a GST registration directly from Maruti? I'm asking as usually there is CGST and SGST and not IGST.
No, it will depend on where you are buying and where it is consigned. I should have been a little more clear, we got this from Zirakpur ( Punjab) and the invoice is to our Chandigarh address. So out of state, implying IGST. Within the state, it would be CGST & SGST.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:43   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
The bluish black colorway with evo corse bronze wheels looks sublime. PC - 6th mile customs on Instagram
HotWheels vibes.
Looks delicious indeed. But what size are those tyres?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:56   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
The bluish black colorway with evo corse bronze wheels looks sublime. PC - 6th mile customs on Instagram
I like this evo corse dakar zero wheels over the enkei rpt1, but the dakar zero is heavy at around 11-13Kg each as they are made to motorsports specs. They also have steel inserts for the lug nut seat saving the surface the lug nuts grind into whilst tightening.

With deep pockets one will actually be spoilt for choice* when selecting Jimny wheels!!!

*Not the donks!

Last edited by Sankar : 29th June 2023 at 17:03.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 17:46   #1148
Team-BHP Support

I finally managed to get a test drive of the Jimny and came back pleasantly surprised.

Since my earlier post was about the interiors and seating, I will only cover the highlights of the drive.

What's good:

- NVH levels are very good. The petrol engine is super refined and only when pushed do you get a whine from the drivetrain. Surprise was outside noise into the cabin was less. Usually tinny Maruti's like Baleno always have this feeling of the window open by a few mm. This was well insulated.
- Ride quality is sublime. It smothers anything you throw at it. Sharp joints, speed breakers, craters, nothing is felt. It's doesn't thud and with the suspension travel you can simply glide over at whatever speed you want carefree.
- Steering was surprisingly decent. It does have play and needs more turns lock to lock but its very car like. The Thar steering is heavier and more nervous as speeds build up. This felt very good. It's almost as light as my Ecosport steering and effort was similar, just that play was more and more turns lock to lock.
- City pep from standstill is good. You won't feel wanting of power at low speeds when closing gaps in traffic.
- 4 speed AT is not tuned for mileage and will hold gears as well as redline. Rare for a maruti where I have seen gearbox behave too conservatively.
- City driving is easy, you can chuck it around and easily slot in gaps with less planning. With the Thar you are always weary of the width and even passing a car requires a lot more space vs the Jimny where you just slip through narrow gaps.

What's not good:

- Outright acceleration is poor. No push back into your seats and no urgency. Drive relaxed and enjoy the plush ride and refinement vs looking at outright pace. The Thar owns the Jimny when it comes to performance. Reaching 100kmph took its own sweet time. It got there but with a lot of huffing.
- Turning radius is large and you need to get used to it. For such a small car not being able to take a U-turn at one shot catches you by surprise.
- The ride quality has a downside and that is body roll. It's prominent. The NICE road ramp you can easily see the car leaning and then understeering to the outer lane. Ofcourse this is for those who are coming from a compact crossover like me (Ecosport). If you have a Thar then this is better.
- The seats are not the most comfortable. Even though I mentioned earlier it was fine, when driving you feel it could have gone lower for the taller folks. It's not uncomfortable but I felt I'm sitting 2 inches higher than I would usually.
- 4 speed AT is just acceptable. It's fine for city use but really if you are planning for long trips then this will be frustrating.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th June 2023 at 11:16.
Vid6639 is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 18:52   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs123 View Post
Hi, did you get to test drive in Mumbai? Could you please let me know which dealer is it? I checked with several dealers but none has a jimny for test drive. Thanks in advance!
Sai Service Nexa Lower Parel at Phoenix Mills
R.Daroga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 19:21   #1150
BHPian

Saw a Jimny in my condo close up. Totally floored. It has the jeep thing! Any outlet offering test drives in GGN ?
Old 29th June 2023, 20:36   #1151
Team-BHP Support

I got at home and went for a small drive locally. This thing is beautiful, everyone gives way and glance or simply stop to look. Will drive more in the morning.

I don't know if it's a miss by Maruti or something not right on mine, but the gear selection lever is not illuminated, and I have this habit of pushing the Auto lever to end, which in this case meant " L"

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230629-8.20.24-pm.png

Thankfully, I found it pretty soon and realised my mistake but the engine feels peppy at high RPMs. If the missing illumination is standard, it is a glaring miss. Will have to find a fix for the ambient lighting as the cabin is very dark.

The average from Chandigarh to Gurgaon was decent at speeds less than 100 per my office person.

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230629-8.31.04-pm.png
Turbanator is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 20:55   #1152
BHPian

Quote:

I don't know if it's a miss by Maruti or something not right on mine, but the gear selection lever is not illuminated, and I have this habit of pushing the Auto lever to end, which in this case meant " L"
While an illuminated gear shift position is certainly helpful for ease of operation Jimny AT already displays the exact gearshift position in the MID. Ergonomically, looking at the MID is better and safer way than looking down at the shifter lever.
Blooming Flower is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:14   #1153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
Jimny AT already displays the exact gearshift position in the MID. Ergonomically, looking at the MID is better and safer way than looking down at the shifter lever.
Yes, but I am now 50+ and love things the old way. Big miss, I will say in my opinion. Any basic light that I can plug into the cigarette lighter or USB? Amazon is showing a lot of options, but those are all fancy strips.

Any pointers to illuminate the interior, especially the lower part of the cabin? And what sort of bulb is used in the main cabin light?
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:16   #1154
BHPian

Quote:

Will have to find a fix for the ambient lighting as the cabin is very dark.
It is by design.

Below is a DIY solution :

https://geordiejimny.com/led-light-f...box-jimny-jb74

Below is a retrofit solution provided by aftermarket vendors:

https://streettracklife.com/products...c-transmission
kesh4munni is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:25   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers to illuminate the interior, especially the lower part of the cabin? And what sort of bulb is used in the main cabin light?
Any accessories shop will be able to do a simple rig of a pair of small LED lights for the footwells. And for the cabin. I'e done that in my Thar and Gypsy.
Helps no end when getting in and out in the dark.

Another excellent option is this battery operated from IKEA which I ve actually placed in my Thar boot area which is woefully dark at night and another one in my Gypsy too on the B Pillar to augment the interior light in the dark of night.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3102.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th July 2023 at 04:17. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks