Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 16:19   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I would prefer a TCS, speed-independent, override switch to turn it off on demand in 2h as well as 4h. TCS on gravel/sand trails in 4H is not ideal. If there are uphill/downhill gradients I wouldn't want power getting cut without my input.
TCS on/off toggle switch is available on most cars today, including the Jimny (please see the second switch here).
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 16:22   #1097
Team-BHP Support

Sorry, I was driving since morning. Catching up with all the messages now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I think they are referring to tractive force, whenever traction is mentioned.
Yes, you are right. That is an engineering definition, which is confusing, especially when the commonly used meaning is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Correct, I think he is going with the literal meaning of Traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baristyro View Post
What I feel is happening here is that Samurai is sticking to the first definition while Suzuki might be meaning to convey information using the second definition.
Obviously... I always use the common English definition of traction while describing offroad techniques. Turns out Suzuki is using the engineering definition, which has the opposite effect here.

Traction (English) is the grip on the road surface. When I saw "No Traction", I read it as no grip, which means tyre is spinning.

Traction (Engineering) is the force required to pull an object over a surface. Here "No Traction" means it isn't getting enough torque, which means tyre is not spinning. This can happen if the other wheel is spinning.

While Suzuki brochure is technically correct, I wish they used more descriptive words than "No Traction" which can be easily mistaken for "No Grip".
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 16:37   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
TCS on/off toggle switch is available on most cars today, including the Jimny (please see the second switch here).
It is linked to speed. Above a certain speed it will kick back in regardless of switch use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayan_Ice View Post
]
Early times still. But I'll still put my money on the car being available at more rational pricing in a couple of years.
Unlikely. Cars will only get more expensive over time, not less.

Quote:
Guys, I booked and WAITED for the JIMNY for six months before the price launch
as did many of us here as well.

Quote:
I believe that by not addressing the price and customer service attitude of MSIL, we are letting paid hacks, bloggers and corporate implants hijack the conversation on to a different tangent.
The problem with conspiracy theories is that the believer stops focusing on what should be important to him/her and gets sidetracked by imagination and speculation.

Nobody likes the pricing. Those who have come to terms with it are just moving on either by cancelling or continuing with their bookings.

Quote:
It will also do the industry disservice when quality products become an indulgence and the majority market is reduced to products that offer bare minimums in terms of features.
"Feelings" don't drive an industry. Hard cash and bottomline is everything. The cars are still selling and the exponential inflation boggles the mind. Are salaries also increasing with similar trajectories? When a Wagon R nudges 10L rupees you have to question the value of the currency. It is very quickly turning into toilet paper. Great for a "make in India" export centric market.

Quote:
Also, this whole "booking without pricing/details and then waiting" business is absolutely horrible.
I don't think anybody likes this. Even for Maruti it must be disconcerting if 30K bookings turned to 20K cancellations on the day of the price announcement. I don't think that's what happened but what if that had happened? The low volume of production and long waiting times is there so the factory can absorb these potential shocks. If it doesn't happen, the brand value is perceived to be higher as it "appears" there is high demand for the product.

In both cases the manufacturer wins.

Quote:
I would request the admins / mods to mark the profiles of members who work in in the industry / with industry related content generators, so there can be, for a layman like me, a clearer picture about opinions that are shaped by interests other than pay-checks.
So you would automatically perceive a message posted by someone tagged as an employee (direct or indirect) of MSIL as dishonest?

Just trying to understand where you stand on this. Had Behram Dhabhar sir been around this discussion would have taken a very interesting direction.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th June 2023 at 18:30. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:12   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, I skipped most of the things. The dealership is insisting on these and the mats. I think should be ok, else will peel off.

Attachment 2469266
The lower door trims does help to break the slab side profile and gels well with the grey wheel arches while also being functional providing protection to the lower door panels.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:18   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
A general awareness message to the Jimny buying community here - please be aware of NEXA dealerships’ extortionist attitude for customers lining up to take delivery of their vehicles and by all means resist it so that this doesn’t become a norm like most other things in our country. I will elaborate.

Unsurprisingly, the two elements in the quotation that I immediately baulked at - insurance premium that was twice that of a Policy Bazaar quote for the same model (I had already done my homework) and a ‘compulsory’ accessory package.
Cheers
This is a practice for long. One of my friend got his Toyota Hyryder booking delivered in a month ( the modus operandi was the same. He was asked to take the the full accessory packahe and showroom insurance) . He went ahead and took the offer. He now rides a hyryder with a roof rack that you see on mumbai kali pili. looks teriible. He says he paid for it so, will not take it down.
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:36   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I wish they used more descriptive words than "No Traction" which can be easily mistaken for "No Grip".
Even though (in the user's manual), the quality of Japanese to English translation is pathetic, in this context, traction and grip are exactly the same, no traction DOES mean no grip.

The term 'Traction Control' refers to the technology used to control the amount of grip a tyre has on the road or sand or ice. A vehicle loses grip when any one wheel begins to slip. This happens because the differential sends 100% of the power to the spinning wheel. Earlier (1990s/2000s), traction control would kick in and actually reduce the amount of power sent to the wheels and momentarily stop wheel spin (thereby restoring grip/traction on that axle). Unfortunately, this also meant a momentary loss of power.

Modern vehicles may or may not reduce the power output to stop wheel spin. However, they heavily rely on ESP or electronic stability program to brake the spinning wheel (and again, send power to the wheel with more grip). This is exactly the same thing that the Jimny's brake lock differential does.

Guys, it's the same ABS sensor that makes all this possible. One electronic component or part, and so many fancy terms to advertise a vehicle.

A bit off topic here.

This BLD/B-LSD was here even earlier. Remember the real Hummer (the HMMWV-H1)? The USA used it in every battlefield they entered. That monster had a technology called ABM (Accelerator Brake Modulation). Here too, a sensor detects spin and the ECU slams the brakes, transferring power to the wheel with more contact to the ground.

Now, inspite of all these different terms and techniques, nothing comes even remotely close to a proper full-fledged differential lock when your AT's and MT's begin to lose grip in the slush or the rocks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2023 at 18:01. Reason: Please proofread and don't add ....dots!
aravind422 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:49   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Previously, invoking Mr. Anurag Mathur, the then MD of Ford India, seems to have set right some nuisances experienced with Ford.
If my memory serves me right; isn't this Anurag Mehrotra?
Iconoclast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 18:21   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Unlikely. Cars will only get more expensive over time, not less.
Yes. That's why I used the word rational. Almost everything gets expensive but a 5% increase vs a 20% increase when inflation is at a 10% has two very different meanings in terms of increase. Relative Vs. Absolute.

Quote:
as did many of us here as well.
The point was to underscore my intent and not serve as a comparison to what anyone else did.

Quote:
The problem with conspiracy theories is that the believer stops focusing on what should be important to him/her and gets sidetracked by imagination and speculation.
I have worked in marketing and communications and thankfully aware of seeding, astroturfing and community management. If anyone believes that corporate giants aren't actively managing online chatter, I would consider them blissfully unaware at best.

Quote:
Nobody likes the pricing. Those who have come to terms with it are just moving on either by cancelling or continuing with their bookings.
Which I did and got another car. However if there is a point of view that I want to express I don't think anyone rational would ask me to "shut up and move on". We see enough throttling of opinion nowadays to have another space where you'll be cowered into silence. Let's not go there.

Quote:
"Feelings" don't drive an industry. Hard cash and bottomline is everything. The cars are still selling and the exponential inflation boggles the mind. Are salaries also increasing with similar trajectories? When a Wagon R nudges 10L rupees you have to question the value of the currency. It is very quickly turning into toilet paper. Great for a "make in India" export centric market.
I agree with currency devaluation but are automotive prices mirroring inflation trends? In absence of hard data, it's your word against mine so debating this would be useless. I will hold on the my opinion that cars are priced ridiculously right now.

I've worked in real estate for a bit and was able to witness the crash and burn of the industry after the 2008-2013 bull run. I see signs of plateauing growth and even degrowth in the auto industry. Won't be as spectacular. But the signs are all there. (Again, it's an outsider's view, and if I were so brilliant I'd already have an SL. I don't.)

Quote:
I don't think anybody likes this. Even for Maruti it must be disconcerting if 30K bookings turned to 20K cancellations on the day of the price announcement. I don't think that's what happened but what if that had happened? The low volume of production and long waiting times is there so the factory can absorb these potential shocks. If it doesn't happen, the brand value is perceived to be higher as it "appears" there is high demand for the product. In both cases the manufacturer wins.
Fool me once...
Strictly speaking for myself.

Quote:
So you would automatically perceive a message posted by someone tagged as an employee (direct or indirect) of MSIL as dishonest?
Dishonest is not the word I will use. Influenced? Absolutely. Coloured? Yes.

It'd be naive to not expect otherwise.

Exceptions will exist, but we don't navigate by exceptions.

Quote:
Just trying to understand where you stand on this. Had Behram Dhabhar sir been around this discussion would have taken a very interesting direction.
I think I have made my stand amply clear.

Also, this could potentially turn into needless needling while a certain gent in his faux camping jacket will be grinning at the amount of chatter being generated for his product.

If I may suggest chatting about this over frothy beverages if you're around these parts?

I keep coming back to this thread because, and I don't know why, I feel like having been taken for a ride by MSIL. Which has had the same reaction of hitting a huge pothole on one of our highways. I should have expected it, but it pisses me off regardless.

This far and no further. Unless I buy this car in the future, I swear off this thread here.
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 19:09   #1104
Team-BHP Support

Insurance breakup.

The dealership has added a couple of useless benefits like a return to invoice and engine protection (I usually skip) and forgot to ask for a breakup. But they passed NCB without any issues. If done directly with New India, maybe a couple of thousand less. It took a while to complete the documentation, so if everything goes fine, the delivery should happen tomorrow.

I am sharing this for the benefit of other potential customers.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230628-7.05.10-pm.png  

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230628-7.22.01-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2023 at 19:58. Reason: minor spell
Turbanator is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 19:57   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-- the delivery should happen tomorrow.
Congratulations and eagerly awaiting your impressions on the Jimny.

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th June 2023 at 19:58.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 20:06   #1106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It took a while to complete the documentation, so if everything goes fine, the delivery should happen tomorrow.

I am sharing this for the benefit of other potential customers.
What tyres have you upsized to?
Old 28th June 2023, 20:10   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
If my memory serves me right; isn't this Anurag Mehrotra?
My bad. Mehrotra.
Old 28th June 2023, 20:36   #1108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
The term 'Traction Control' refers to the technology used to control the amount of grip a tyre has on the road or sand or ice.
How do you control the amount of grip a tyre has on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
A vehicle loses grip when any one wheel begins to slip. This happens because the differential sends 100% of the power to the spinning wheel.
Sorry, this is all very confusing. When you say vehicle loses grip, you mean the wheel loses grip? Yes, then the wheel begins to spin. However, you say it happens because the differential sends 100% of the power to the spinning wheel? The 100% torque transfer to any one wheel can only happen in fully locked differential, and it goes to the wheel with grip. The wheel without grip doesn't get any torque in a fully lock differential.

You can refer to the link provided by Turbanator here, it gives very clear descriptions of different kind of differentials.

We have a separate thread for this discussion, please continue there if you are interested to discuss this further.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 21:07   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the instrument cluster have the option to show the engine temperature, or is it missing on the Jimny? Why can't Maruti simply have the temperature gauge since it is so important?
I too feel that the temperature gauge is too important to be replaced simply by a warning light, that may get lost in the jungle and may escape notice.

I would have liked analog temp and fuel gauges under the tacho and speedo -- many cars follow that pattern.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 21:22   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What tyres have you upsized to?
215x75x15- Yokos. The dealer replaced himself and asked for 20K, which looks reasonable. 235 would have been about 30K, but I think it will be overkill.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks