Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 12:47   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
TCS tones engine power output down to prevent vehicle getting out of control the moment it detects spinning wheel(s). That is why TCS is turned off automatically in almost all modern 4wd cars the moment you switch to 4L - you don't want the engine to power-down on you when you need it the most to get out of a sticky situation.
I would prefer a TCS, speed-independent, override switch to turn it off on demand in 2h as well as 4h. TCS on gravel/sand trails in 4H is not ideal. If there are uphill/downhill gradients I wouldn't want power getting cut without my input.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:08   #1082
Team-BHP Support

Showtime, Yea or Nay ??
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230628-1.01.25-pm.jpeg  

Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:12   #1083
Team-BHP Support

Now where did this TCS WIPRO come in?

Does Jimny has any sort of ESP working on Offroad? I thought it was a safety feature primarily for onroad safety on a Jimny.

For Offroad only Brake Limited Slip Diff (BLSD) and Hill descent are the trick bits that this vehicle has. Personally I love the idea of BLSD, no mechanical part that can give away and less chance of breaking axles and all. Brake pads are anyways consumable and Maruti ones are usually darn cheap also. Would be interesting to see if there are any aftermarket Mechanical Locking Differential for rear for Jimny. That will make it pretty capable vehicle along with a Turbo kit add on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Showtime, Yea or Nay ??
BIG NO! for my preference. And BIG Congratulations!

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th June 2023 at 13:31.
Jaggu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:19   #1084
BHPian

I pulled the the definition of "traction" from dictionary.com

What I feel is happening here is that Samurai is sticking to the first definition while Suzuki might be meaning to convey information using the second definition.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7425.jpeg
Baristyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:26   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Showtime, Yea or Nay ??
He is holding the RHS mirror trim upside down on the LHS mrror
Mirror trims are Nay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Would be interesting to see if there are any aftermarket Mechanical Locking Differential for rear for Jimny. That will make it pretty capable vehicle along with a Turbo kit add on.
Yes, both limited slip (clutch and gear types) and locking diffs are available.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th June 2023 at 13:27.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:49   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsai View Post
Hi,

Do any of the experts suggest a 1000km Oil change for the Jimny or just an inspection is enough?
I got this message from Maruti:
Sir/Mam
Service reminder-
For 1st free service 1000km or 1month jo pahle ho jaye.
For 2nd free service 5000km or 6months jo pahle ho jaye.
For 3rd free service 10000km or 12month jo pahle ho jaye.
For paid service har 10000km or 12month jo pahle ho jaye.

I will definitely be changing the oil 1000, 2500 & 5000 and then on every 5-7k depending on yearly usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Please get the spare wheel also as per same specs as other 4 wheels. Its very important to have same tire diameter /width in a 4x4 car to avoid any damage to drivetrain due to differences in tire diameter. Else no point in keeping that 195 hanging on rear door either. I hope rear door will handle the weight without any issue as many owners doing that internationally.
Not required unless you are running it in AWD mode, for normal usage and even some emergency off road 4x4 usage it should do fine as overall diameter has delta of ~1.5% and width isn't too different either. This was one of the main reasons I went for 215/75 instead of the 235 width which is quite a popular choice. I also intend to put a tire cover on the rear tire so it won't be visible anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
It won't do anything as long as the gear is 1-2-3. Only if the transmission moves to 4th, it will drop a cog when OD is switched off.

Cheers
This is incorrect, in my experience the responsiveness of the car is meaningfully changed when I press the OD OFF button. It feels much more eager to drive, almost like a pseudo sport mode for the Jimny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Shouldn't this be a positive? Or was this sarcasm

If it's a positive, I am a little surprised. I am sure the On road ride quality should be better than Thar, but it shouldn't be better than the other road specific sub 4 meter SUV styled cars? Do correct me if I am wrong.
Yes my bad, I think I had started writing that comment and then changed the tires anyways so forgot to move it to positives, have sent a request to edit the post.

On road ride quality is much more closely comparable to normal road cars than the Thar, the only differences I feel is that this isn't as planted feeling and rear bounces at times. But pure ride quality wise I honestly can't fault it and it will be quite usable for both roadtrips on tarmac and off the road bad paths. Speaks a lot about the suspension tuning from the factory. Before I got the car I had already enquired to get Koni FSD for the car. Now I don't feel that you need them at all unless you are thinking of competition (rally etc.) use.

Last edited by quickdraw : 28th June 2023 at 13:51.
quickdraw is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 14:11   #1087
BHPian

Jimny 5 Door retro sticker set project

Jimnys and the other global variants in the past came with some cool stickers from the factory. I really wanted to recreate them for the modern Jimny . Made these initially for the 3 door version and decided to redo them to work with the 5 door. Found a handful of cool variations after going through vintage brochures and pictures from different markets. Added my own twist to some of them as well

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_nexa_blue.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_bluish_black_decal2.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_bluish_black_decal3.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_red.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_white.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_white_decal3.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_white_decal4.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_grey_decal2.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_5_door_grey.jpg
b16h22 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 14:19   #1088
BHPian

Small cracks, but cracks nonetheless.

Did The Maruti Jimny Prices Miss Their Mark?

Really panders to the brand (who wouldn't in the face of that marketing might?). But such little apologies trickling in this early say a LOT.

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230628-1.39.15-pm.png

Early times still. But I'll still put my money on the car being available at more rational pricing in a couple of years.

(Didn't want to sully the thread with more "opinions", but this seemed like important information.)

Guys, I booked and WAITED for the JIMNY for six months before the price launch, and my wife still holds a grouse against me for not getting her that Neon Green number. So while my fanboy status might be in question, my genuine enthusiasm for the product cannot be.

I believe that by not addressing the price and customer service attitude of MSIL, we are letting paid hacks, bloggers and corporate implants hijack the conversation on to a different tangent.

In the long run not only will this do injustice to current customers who are being charged a needless premium by car companies, it will also do the industry disservice when quality products become an indulgence and the majority market is reduced to products that offer bare minimums in terms of features.

Yes, the market has absorbed a lot of irrational pricing right now because COVID based reduction in supplies and the sudden surge in pent up demand made cars sell at a premium, and automobile manufacturers turned those into a baseline going forward.

Also, this whole "booking without pricing/details and then waiting" business is absolutely horrible. Reminds me of people getting out of their seats on a plane even before the doors open in hopes of getting out first (for what?). Charge me guilty as well.

I understand that this horde mentality can be expected from people who don't know better. But what's surprised me is a lack of indignation regarding the frankly-by-me insulting behaviour from manufacturers (in this case MSIL) in a group of people who KNOW their cars and are truly passionate about the automotive scene.

This will also go a long way in helping establish further, the stamp of authority that team-bhp carries.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
Off topic reply but had to.

It makes every sense for you to own a litre class in India, especially if you are from Gurgaon. Take it to the track man. You will somehow see that your litre class is out of breath at the end of the back straight when a V4S passes you buy. (Assuming you dont own a V4)

Coming back to the Jimny- no matter the prices it a better car all round than the competition
I've a sports tourer and don't like the idea of being on track. I got simply because I've always wanted a big bike. Really enjoyed taking it to Jaisalmer and the mountains, but still don't think super bikes make sense in India because of one singular factor. Our roads are very VERY dangerous.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2023 at 09:06. Reason: PM coming up
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 14:20   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

This is incorrect, in my experience the responsiveness of the car is meaningfully changed when I press the OD OFF button. It feels much more eager to drive, almost like a pseudo sport mode for the Jimny.

Did you check this in the manual?
The car 'feels' eager since the revs will increase (taking the engine further into the rev range) as you are restricting the vehicle from going to the next gear. Obviously this will make the vehicle more sprightly at the cost of FE. You can check this out next time you turn OD off.

I have this same transmission in my i10 AT Kappa and I have seen many folks claiming this to be a 'sports' mode.

Please take a pause before claiming that someone is outright 'incorrect'.
Old 28th June 2023, 14:23   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Showtime, Yea or Nay ??
Nay! My Personal choice is black. Makes the car look bold.
Old 28th June 2023, 14:26   #1091
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely, I skipped most of the things. The dealership is insisting on these and the mats. I think should be ok, else will peel off.

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230628-12.54.22-pm.jpeg

Getting ready.

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230628-12.26.21-pm-1.jpeg
Turbanator is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 15:31   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayan_Ice View Post
Small cracks, but cracks nonetheless.
=======
I believe that by not addressing the price and customer service attitude of MSIL, we are letting paid hacks, bloggers and corporate implants hijack the conversation on to a different tangent.
=====
I would request the admins / mods to mark the profiles of members who work in in the industry / with industry related content generators, so there can be, for a layman like me, a clearer picture about opinions that are shaped by interests other than pay-checks.
While I agree to your thought process, I do believe the forum still has a fair amount of people who share straight forward opinion about these products. It is upto other members to take these opinions and make use or not. On the other hand expecting large manufacturers to heed anything based on forum opinion is too much to ask for. For example if they had to they would have already priced the Jimny below 15 on the road for India. But no they choose to take more margin and export route instead.

As far as influencers and marketing folks are concerned, we do keep a watch and take actions as and when someone is suspected to be.

Quote:
Absolutely, I skipped most of the things. The dealership is insisting on these and the mats.
Tell them you will take it but keep it in the boot! and not spoil the clean looks of that yellow cutie.
Jaggu is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 15:39   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Quick update from my side, got the car finally last Friday and have driven it 400kms so far. Here are some quick thought & observations from my perspective.

If you want better comfort then set tyre pressure to 26 psi for front tyres & max 29 psi for rear tyres. However if you are using with just 2-3 persons load then keep 26 psi in all four tyres. This is also recommended. I am keeping 26 psi pressure in all tyres & the ride quality has been very good.

Regarding engine getting auto stop start frequently, you can change IS A/C (ENG A-STOP system setting) from three modes ie economy, standard & comfort to Comfort mode in Instrument Cluster settings. With this the engine will not switch off so often as compared to other two modes. Refer to Owners Manual page 4-11.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2023 at 15:54. Reason: Fixed quote.
Rahul Lal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 15:52   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsai View Post
Hi,

Do any of the experts suggest a 1000km Oil change for the Jimny or just an inspection is enough?
Pl see page 9-3 of Owner’s Manual. Oil change is at 10,000 kms.
1000 kms free service is just an inspection.
Rahul Lal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 15:56   #1095
BHPian

Driving experience with 235/75 R15 tyres in the mountains (Barot Valley)..He is all praise of the vehicle and yes Jimny is looking amazing with these tyres ! This guy is a seasoned offroader and have lot of experience driving 4*4 vehicles, hence his views about the off-road experience with Jimny carries weight !

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks