Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 22:51   #1066
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
A general awareness message to the Jimny buying community here - please be aware of NEXA dealerships’ extortionist attitude for customers lining up to take delivery of their vehicles and by all means resist it so that this doesn’t become a norm like most other things in our country. I will elaborate.
Same is happening with me for last 2 days.

I booked with PASCO NEXA Sikanderpur on 12th Jan first half. Hence was hopeful that I will get my Jimny in first or
Second lot. But that never happened. I changed colour from KY to PAW though email communication in second week of June (before 17th June cut-off).

Yesterday PASCO called me to check out a BB (Bluish Black) at their stockyard. However, we found few deep scratches on bonnet hood, harsh engine noise and interior plastic panel scratches, empty water bottles inside the car, shoe marks on every corner of the door frame. And driver's footwell and carpet area were pretty dirty (white smoke from engine start-up was perhaps due to moisture accumulation inside silencer. We had heavy rain and high humidity in Gurgaon for last few days). Hence we didn't show any interest.

Today, another fellow called up from Rana Motors NEXA, Rajeev Chawk. And almost same incident happened like your case. I asked them for final price negotiation for signing the cheque and loan part disbursement. Then the SA went somewhere and came back with the news that the PAW unit is allocated to someone. I need to book with them first then there will be waiting period and no commitment on delivery. It was total waste of time for us.

Last edited by RijuC : 27th June 2023 at 22:53.
RijuC is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 23:55   #1067
BHPian

Hi,

Do any of the experts suggest a 1000km Oil change for the Jimny or just an inspection is enough?
chsai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 00:00   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
1. BFG was out of the question for me because I've observed a lot of road noise from them in my friends cars, and NVH, Safety & Comfort was the primary use case for me. I was actually keen to get AX6 model of CrossContact but it was only available in 235 width for 15 inch. The Geolander AT is an excellent tire and reviewed well for longevity and off road prowess, but again my use case negated the need. They looked hella cool with white lettering (only available for 235 width)

2. No rattle from rear, and I was conscious to not get 5 tires and left the 195 on the spare wheel since I didn't want to add any weight to the rear door.
Please get the spare wheel also as per same specs as other 4 wheels. Its very important to have same tire diameter /width in a 4x4 car to avoid any damage to drivetrain due to differences in tire diameter. Else no point in keeping that 195 hanging on rear door either. I hope rear door will handle the weight without any issue as many owners doing that internationally.

BTW. Regarding the discussion about the BLSD image and wording, Just change the 'No Traction' part on stuck wheels to 'No Movement' , then it should all make sense.
offroad_maniac is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 03:07   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsai View Post
Hi,

Do any of the experts suggest a 1000km Oil change for the Jimny or just an inspection is enough?
Congratulations on your Jimny
Inspection is fine
I have clocked 500 kms
Where have you taken delivery from ?
Old 28th June 2023, 06:41   #1070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
BTW. Regarding the discussion about the BLSD image and wording, Just change the 'No Traction' part on stuck wheels to 'No Movement' , then it should all make sense.
Oh, just brilliant.

I fixed it as per your suggestion. Also replaced traction with torque. Now it is perfect.

Maruti Jimny Review-202306272.jpg
Samurai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 08:20   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I was looking at the Jimny brochure to understand the 4WD system better. I was disappointed to see it has the brake chewing traction control system instead of LSD. They incorrectly call it Brake LSD, even though both differentials are fully open all the time. I suppose it is the marketing department decision to call it that.
Well, the end result of Brake Locking the wheels are similar to LSD and not Mechanical Locking. I presume, thats why they call it that. Also, customers are only familiar with Diff Locks and LSD's, so, how do you add value and convey a message? Atleast for me, I think B-LSD is much better than BLD (Brake Locking Differential) like some companies call.

Quote:
Then I looked at the image and I was very confused. When the left wheel loses traction, why does the right wheel slip? It is the wheel that lost traction that spins, the other will remain stationary. Then they are applying brake to the right wheel, and somehow left wheel gains traction?

The whole premise is wrong.
Sharath,

I think they are referring to tractive force, whenever traction is mentioned.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 08:41   #1072
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I think they are referring to tractive force, whenever traction is mentioned.
Correct, I think he is going with the literal meaning of Traction.

Traction, per this wiki, is a force.

Traction, or tractive force, is the force used to generate motion between a body and a tangential surface, through the use of dry friction, though the use of shear force of the surface is also commonly used.[1][2][3][4]

Traction can also refer to the maximum tractive force between a body and a surface, as limited by available friction; when this is the case, traction is often expressed as the ratio of the maximum tractive force to the normal force and is termed the coefficient of traction (similar to coefficient of friction). It is the force which makes an object move over the surface by overcoming all the resisting forces like friction, normal loads(load acting on the tiers in negative 'Z' axis), air resistance, rolling resistance, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_(engineering)

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2023 at 09:45.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:03   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Brake Locking Differential is an incorrect term because a locking differential locks both half axles making them turn in unison, once locked there is no slip between the axles. A brake can never do that i.e., it can never make both halfaxles turn in unison, it can never be a locking differential.

Limited slip differential limits the slip between both halfaxles but it cannot make them turn in unison (unless its a locking lsd). Braking the slipping wheel is doing exactly that, i.e., limiting the slip between the free spinning wheel and the other wheel. So calling it the BLSD brake limited slip differential is apt.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:11   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a test drive of the Jimny yesterday (Zeta AT variant). There was not any rush at the showroom and the sales guys were fine with relatively longish test drives as per MSIL standards. Even the cars were readily available (just waiting for some RTO formality in Karnataka before the deliveries can officially start.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_6408.jpg

Coming to the Jimny,

Suspension set up is amazing. It will run circles around a Thar (even with modded suspension). The speeds at which we tackled the undulations in the Jimny, the Thar will be jumping all over the place. The inherent busy and jumpy quality of the Thar is non existent in the Jimny.

Driving on a rough patch
Maruti Jimny Review-img_6411.jpg

It was a new TD car but the NVH was very good. Quiet and no rattles at all. Hard to make out that the engine is running unless pushed to the red line.

Interior dash layout and quality is way better than Thar. The 4WD lever is much easier to engage than the Thar. I did drive on a small rough stretch of road but it was all in 2H. I didn't get a chance to drive in 4H or 4L.

Boot space is nice, has a 12v socket as well.
Maruti Jimny Review-img_6403.jpg

Body roll is well controlled again much better than Thar. Took an expressway ramp curve at around 70kmph and it stayed flat.

Dislikes:

Seats are too narrow. It will be terrible for someone with a bigger frame. Two large guys up front will have a difficult time.

Outright power is terrible. It struggles to pick up speed. The gear box holds the gear for long to help things but absolutely pathetic power. Till 80 it is somehow tolerable but not sure how it will be in the highway runs like the new mysore expressway.

The gear box in the Thar is much better tuned. The Jimny AT feels like those outdated AT boxes where you need to play around with the accelerator to change gears. It is not intuitive at all.

No height adjustment in the seat. I love seating as low as possible but couldn’t find a good position in the Jimny. Steering doesn’t have telescopic adjustments and for some weird reason the accelerator pedal is placed at the extreme right (almost touching the plastic cladding). It will annoying to drive with large footwear.

Steering has play for the off road stuff and the turning radius is huge. But the overall feedback from the steering is much better than the Thar.

Test drove another cute little car with even worse ergonomics.
Watching the Jimny on road
Maruti Jimny Review-img_6418.jpg

Overall, Jimny is a nice car for the city and occasional off road stuff. The biggest downside is the lack of power and the absolutely outdated AT gearbox. If they had launched the 3 door version, I would have got one just to play around with the modifications. Being a global car, some awesome aftermarket kits are available. The first priority should be to get 215 section AT tyres and turbo kit.

Looking forward to drive it in some off road events soon.

Last edited by robimahanta : 28th June 2023 at 11:13.
robimahanta is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:11   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
A related question - does OD OFF make any difference to the engine response, when the car is in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears? Say you are driving at around 50 kmph, when the car would be in 3rd gear - and you switch OFF the OD - does it have any impact on engine response?

It won't do anything as long as the gear is 1-2-3. Only if the transmission moves to 4th, it will drop a cog when OD is switched off.

Cheers
Old 28th June 2023, 11:23   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Brake Locking Differential is an incorrect term because a locking differential locks both half axles making them turn in unison, once locked there is no slip between the axles. A brake can never do that i.e., it can never make both halfaxles turn in unison, it can never be a locking differential.

Limited slip differential limits the slip between both halfaxles but it cannot make them turn in unison (unless its a locking lsd). Braking the slipping wheel is doing exactly that, i.e., limiting the slip between the free spinning wheel and the other wheel. So calling it the BLSD brake limited slip differential is apt.
Very true.. But, like I've mentioned somewhere, it might just be a word Marketing has used to portray the end result.

A more ideal name for it would be - Brake Limited Slip Traction Control. But, then again more confusion and education required for TCS and all..

Quote:
In summary, if I got my theory right, the TCS and BLD actually work in opposite ways - TCS cutting power to wheels with traction to prevent overload and BLD cutting power to wheels without traction, to avoid wastage. Did I get that right?
Umm.. I'd like to say that TCS has control over the Engine systems as well as the Brake systems, whereas BLD works only with ESP system.

Last edited by dhanushs : 28th June 2023 at 11:31.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:49   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I tried to fix by deleting the offending words, and its now half fixed. The graphics alone would do a better job.
Thank you for saving the thread from further bombardment Goes on to show the havoc that can be wrecked by incorrect translation!

Quote:
In summary, if I got my theory right, the TCS and BLD actually work in opposite ways - TCS cutting power to wheels with traction to prevent overload and BLD cutting power to wheels without traction, to avoid wastage. Did I get that right?
Almost there Just to add, both TCS and BLD systems use same set of sensors but work independently in different (intended) ways.

TCS tones engine power output down to prevent vehicle getting out of control the moment it detects spinning wheel(s). That is why TCS is turned off automatically in almost all modern 4wd cars the moment you switch to 4L - you don't want the engine to power-down on you when you need it the most to get out of a sticky situation.

BLD, on the other hand, does not affect engine power in any manner. It just brakes the slipping wheel to "leverage" the inherent behavior of a differential to send more torque to the opposite wheel on the same axle, assuming that it will have traction and can get the vehicle out if supplied with more torque.

Sorry for going OT - we have a dedicated thread on 4WD systems and this should be discussed there but could not resist chiming in on an interesting 4WD-related discussion.

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th June 2023 at 11:52.
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:00   #1078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsai View Post
Hi,

This is a completely personal choice, if you go by the manufacturer recommendation it is not at all required. Some of us still prefer to get it done, usually to use a better oil and just to rule out any fine metal particle that may have come out during running in (super rare on modern engines).
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:03   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Quick update from my side

Downsides/Negatives
[list][*]Excellent ride quality, the air pressure was set to 40psi and once I reduced it to 34 it become even better. Once I switch the tires will go even lower. I have been recommended to run it at 32 front and 28 in back to alleviate the bounciness from back
Shouldn't this be a positive? Or was this sarcasm

If it's a positive, I am a little surprised. I am sure the On road ride quality should be better than Thar, but it shouldn't be better than the other road specific sub 4 meter SUV styled cars? Do correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by 07CR : 28th June 2023 at 12:04.
Old 28th June 2023, 12:37   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
When asked about the NCB discount - they first refused and then said I’ll have to buy at full price and then apply for refund from UII and “that might require a couple of visits to their office” to collect Can you believe this level of customer service in modern India?
I had followed the same process though that was years ago. Given the NCB certificate to Ford dealership and the refund for NCB discount came into my account directly from the Insurance company, I think after 3-4 weeks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks