Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 12:13   #1021
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Restricts - I meant- max 3. What I imply is that it cannot be just restricting the top gear to 3rd. Some other parameters like throttle response or RPMs in the same gear- are my assumptions are not correct.
You can rest assured as everyone said it just restricts the max gear to 3 and nothing else. This is old school way and that is why the button is on the gear lever and not on the dash. It's literally a mechanical button that is only associated with the transmission and never changes the throttle or engine response.

It's the same in all automatics of this era and technology. There is simply no transmission in regular cars that changes throttle map when you select OD off. The old 4 speed boxes have always been this way.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 12:19   #1022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's the same in all automatics of this era and technology. There is simply no transmission in regular cars that changes throttle map when you select OD off. The old 4 speed boxes have always been this way.
Yup. My last two AT cars from 2003 & 2011 works this way. If I get the Jimny, same saga will continue...
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 12:29   #1023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Restricts - I meant- max 3. I imply that it cannot be just restricting the top gear to 3rd. There should be some other parameters like throttle response or RPMs in the same gear- are my assumptions are not correct.
Your assumption is correct for certain transmissions. But Jimny is the most basic box, it is a simple traditional slush box that starts from 1 and move upwards. L limits it to 1, 2 limits to 2, D with OD off at 3 and D all the way to 4. Based on engine RPM and speed achieved by impeller inside the box, speed ratio of the box change. Basic idea is it will keep the engine and wheel spinning at most optimal speeds for max torque to wheels as per the system.

In short - No complicated hardware that can lock the system in a gear and start off. Yes this can be useful in certain slippery conditions where L may actually land up losing traction, but in this (Jimny) case the ECU should manage the overall output with changes in transmission speed and brake locking available with the all grip pro setup. Hey my archaic GV also has same system and has a "Power" switch which can be triggered for more aggressive RPM and shift points for the box, that Jimny misses lol.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th June 2023 at 12:31.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 13:24   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The points, I was trying to ask were related to the implementation of position 2 which I assumed was the same as on my LC-200 Now, if someone tries to relate this with OD or sports behaviour, I can't help.

Starting in the second is the age-old way, your dad may be more versed probably.
Your landcruiser has a seperate button for 2nd start. The 2 in the gearbox shown here is not a second start button.
https://imgd.aeplcdn.com/642x361/n/c...ig=0&wm=1&q=75
It is equivalent to you putting your landcruiser shifter in S and then downshifting to select 2nd gear in instrument cluster. It will prevent the car from upshifting beyond 2nd. Useful mainly for engine braking when going downhill.

Maruti Jimny Review-frame0.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-indiators1.jpg

This is from an older landcruiser which still had the normal old school shifter rather than the electric one that your's has. Even here, the 2nd start is a completely seperate button. It is the one that says 2nd, not the 2 in the gearshifter. It starts the car in 2nd gear so you can crawl out of slippery ice without breaking traction whenever you touch the accelerator. Our old Prado had this setup.

Quote:
Regarding the OD, it will be interesting if someone can find out RPMs in OD "Off" and then "On" position in 3rd gear (I don't know if it's even possible to keep manually in 3rd on such gearbox at all) or how to measure "Throttle response", perhaps an enquiry to the manufacturer can clear this. I know it (throttle response) works on 200 in sports and sports + mode. Maybe, someone taking a test drive of Jimny and understanding this can try.

I am not 100% convinced that OD mode just restricts the gear to 3rd and nothing else. But I will like to find out.
The OD button prevents the torque converter clutch lockup.

Last edited by Cresterk : 27th June 2023 at 13:25.
Cresterk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 14:01   #1025
BHPian

A general awareness message to the Jimny buying community here - please be aware of NEXA dealerships’ extortionist attitude for customers lining up to take delivery of their vehicles and by all means resist it so that this doesn’t become a norm like most other things in our country. I will elaborate.

Vipul Motors in Faridabad, called me out of the blue to inform me that they have the exact model of my booking readily available with them if I wished to buy. My original booking is with Rohan Motors, Noida and they have been typically ambiguous about when I can expect the one I booked in Jan. Naturally, I was keen to take up Vipul’s offer. I drove over, inspected the vehicle and satisfied myself before getting down to discussing their quotation.
Unsurprisingly, the two elements in the quotation that I immediately baulked at - insurance premium that was twice that of a Policy Bazaar quote for the same model (I had already done my homework) and a ‘compulsory’ accessory package. When I put my foot down on these, the SA quietly disappeared under the pretext of getting me an accessory list to choose from and returned 15 mins later to tell me that the car had been already booked by someone else �� I wanted to create havoc, but quietly got up and left.

The next day, the SA calls me and says he felt miserable about what transpired and if I would like to reconsider since they can make ‘another’ car available. I stuck to my guns, reiterating my stance - match insurance premium or I buy outside of NEXA and modify compulsory accessory pack to ‘pick and choose’. Naturally, as I had expected, the ‘contrite’ mood changed to negative.

This is clearly NEXA (with or without MSIL complicity) trying to milk customers based on demand (quoting the SA “Sir, we are making available an in-demand car to you at short notice”), indicating that we haven’t really moved too far from the pre-liberalisation mentality.

I have written a strongly worded description of this to Maruti Regional Sales Head Mr. Anurag Dutt, hoping he can shed some light on the matter. Previously, invoking Mr. Anurag Mathur, the then MD of Ford India, seems to have set right some nuisances experienced with Ford. Let’s hope his namesake at MSIL is as proactive.

My request to all here - please do not give in to the seller’s trap that NEXA seems to be laying for all of us. If we don’t protest, we only solidify the corruption.

Cheers

Last edited by SUVolens : 27th June 2023 at 14:17.
SUVolens is offline   (93) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 14:49   #1026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
I stuck to my guns, reiterating my stance - match insurance premium or I buy outside of NEXA and modify compulsory accessory pack to ‘pick and choose’. Naturally, as I had expected, the ‘contrite’ mood changed to negative.
Appreciate you have taken a firm stance. This is completely a dealer drama that is being set forth and as consumers no one should agree to such arm twisting. I had faced similar instances and always either walked away or negotiated back to my terms. Going via leasing companies is another way to counter this, since they do the hard balling for the employee purchase.

I can understand basic mats and mudflaps being insisted for as accessories pack, beyond this everything is a customer prerogative. Another scam is delivery charges, for what?
Jaggu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 14:59   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

I can understand basic mats and mudflaps being insisted for as accessories pack, beyond this everything is a customer prerogative. Another scam is delivery charges, for what?
Thanks. I think this forum should talk about these malpractices as faced for a change instead of hosannas for the product, which has it’s merits obviously. MSIL need to know that there are consequences for taking customers for granted and bad publicity can reverse fortunes as easily as built by positive word-of-mouth.
SUVolens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:02   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quick update from my side, got the car finally last Friday and have driven it 400kms so far. Here are some quick thought & observations from my perspective.

Downsides/Negatives
  • I am getting a fuel economy of >10 km/l with non-sedate driving in city. You can see when the driver drove it average improved. But this is early reads.
    Maruti Jimny Review-73cadcd7555447db95cdde9ea0359694.jpg
  • Due to the auto start stop system many times I got down from car and tried to lock it only to realise I forgot to switch off ignition
  • Stereo quality is decent but you can hear the door rattle once you go over 11 volume. Intend to do some door damping to fix this and I'm sure stereo will sound even better
  • Fog lamps can be stronger but usable
  • You would accidentally put in 2nd instead of D on automatic model, my friends put it in L
  • Couldn’t source mats yet, don't want to order online
  • Black dual tone roof in hindsight is a bad idea, always seems dusty compared to body colour
  • Bad rear view mirror, its small and not auto dimming
  • No digital speed display on centre dial, this is absurd since it hard to keep track of speed on those lovely looking analog dials
  • Clunky CarPlay experience if one connects phone with cable, it doesn't switch to wireless mode easily
  • Bad plastics and gaps in centre console, not happy with the quality and fit + finish on those, doors are OK. Dashboard quality is good.
  • Brake Pedal feel isn’t good but brakes are adequate
  • Have to be careful to reverse as the tire sticks out and I accidentally hit a kia even though there was space visible on the camera

Positives/Good
  • Excellent ride quality, the air pressure was set to 40psi and once I reduced it to 34 it become even better. Once I switch the tires will go even lower. I have been recommended to run it at 32 front and 28 in back to alleviate the bounciness from back
  • Excellent driving dynamics, I am really happy with the way the car drives
  • Ride quality is great but rear bounces over breakers/bad roads if you are going fast
  • Nice horn
  • Nice cruise control and will be used often since I won't be going fast in it ever
  • Wind noise and tire noise is acceptable at cruising speed. It dies once stereo is on
  • Very big and great responsive screen
  • Excellent visibility and hanging hand on door driving feel of SUV with windows down
  • Road presence? I am being chased around, videod and everyone wants to know about this car. Reminds me of the ecosport days when I had an Ecosport pre production car and got chased around (Urban Discoveries - I WON a Ford EcoSport)

Tires changed to Continental CrossContact AT in 215 width after a lot of deliberation, will add longer term review once I've spent sometime with it. Steering has gotten a tad bit heavier and I'm unable to know if it's straight or not while parking and marginal increase in road noise. Ride quality is similar and car doesn't feel any less responsive.

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230626-6.55.57-pm-1.jpeg

Quote:

Regarding the OD, it will be interesting if someone can find out RPMs in OD "Off" and then "On" position in 3rd gear (I don't know if it's even possible to keep manually in 3rd on such gearbox at all) or how to measure "Throttle response", perhaps an enquiry to the manufacturer can clear this. I know it (throttle response) works on 200 in sports and sports + mode. Maybe, someone taking a test drive of Jimny and understanding this can try.

I am not 100% convinced that OD mode just restricts the gear to 3rd and nothing else. But I will like to find out.
OD OFF mode makes the car much more responsive and fun to drive, and its not just about restricting to 3rd gear. Infact I dont feel the car is lethargic while driving on gurgaon faridabad road going through uphill sections and filtering between trucks etc. And bad road patch of golf course extension. If you plan it right just press the OD button when you need to tackle some obstacles and then press it again when you want to go back to chill mode. I will text you and let's go for a spin in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post

It makes every sense for you to own a litre class in India, especially if you are from Gurgaon. Take it to the track man. You will somehow see that your litre class is out of breath at the end of the back straight when a V4S passes you buy. (Assuming you dont own a V4)
OT but I own a V4 1100 Factory and it's absolutely sublime on the road, you don't have to take it to the track to enjoy machines like this

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th June 2023 at 16:43. Reason: Moved point as requested.
quickdraw is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:18   #1029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the two elements in the quotation that I immediately baulked at - insurance premium that was twice that of a Policy Bazaar quote for the same model (I had already done my homework)
How much should be the correct premium and what is Nexa charging? I thought, Maruti has a centralised way of issuing insurance and it's actually Maruti that benefits the most. I know this because we regularly get our policies from New India but they won't give me any competitive rates as they have some agreement with Maruti. Or at least that used to be the case around 2 Years back.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:18   #1030
BHPian

There is a news around 5 Door Thar to be unveiled on 15-Aug in South Africa !! It is set to launch in early 2024 !

https://www.news18.com/auto/mahindra...w-8164045.html
VivekWalia1986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:37   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
How much should be the correct premium and what is Nexa charging? I thought, Maruti has a centralised way of issuing insurance and it's actually Maruti that benefits the most. I know this because we regularly get our policies from New India
Here’s where it gets a bit complicated. Depending on which dealer you enquire with, based on my model of choice Zeta MT (ex showroom price: 12.74 lacs), I’ve been quoted in the region of 45-50k premium that includes Zero-depreciation as add-on.

When I checked on Policy Bazaar the same entered values return a premium of 30.5k (with zero-dep add on, from the same insurer - United India Insurance). I have with me a NCB certificate from the Endeavour and once that’s slapped on, my premium is reduced to 22.5k, payable online for an instant policy.

Now here’s the kick - Vipul NEXA will not only not accommodate this obvious customer benefit of 25k+ by letting me buy the policy online. When asked about the NCB discount - they first refused and then said I’ll have to buy at full price and then apply for refund from UII and “that might require a couple
of visits to their office” to collect Can you believe this level of customer service in modern India?

Clearly, somewhere higher up the chain, the dealers have been told to mop up as much profits as possible from this model while the euphoria lasts.

Last edited by SUVolens : 27th June 2023 at 15:39.
SUVolens is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:00   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Does the instrument cluster have the option to show the engine temperature, or is it missing on the Jimny? Why can't Maruti simply have the temperature gauge since it is so important?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th June 2023 at 16:01.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:05   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clearly, somewhere higher up the chain, the dealers have been told to mop up as much profits as possible from this model while the euphoria lasts.
Why do I get a feeling that the euphoria is almost down and out and I’m thinking the bookings are not going through the roof either.

I got a sense of it when I went for the TD. I could just walk in and the SA gave me a TD inside 10 minutes. Mentally, I was comparing to the crowds in M&M showrooms for seeing the cars and for TD back then.

Massive crowds during Thar times. Very quiet Jimny days.
jkrishnakj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:05   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the instrument cluster have the option to show the engine temperature, or is it missing on the Jimny? Why can't Maruti simply have the temperature gauge since it is so important?
It can never go missing. Most cars these days provide a warning light if the car overheats and hence desist from providing analog gauges, rather they have moved away from analog gauges.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:34   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I checked on Policy Bazaar the same entered values return a premium of 30.5k (with zero-dep add on, from the same insurer - United India Insurance). I have with me a NCB certificate from the Endeavour and once that’s slapped on, my premium is reduced to 22.5k, payable online for an instant policy.

Now here’s the kick - Vipul NEXA will not only not accommodate this obvious customer benefit of 25k+ by letting me buy the policy online. When asked about the NCB discount - they first refused and then said I’ll have to buy at full price and then apply for refund from UII and “that might require a couple
of visits to their office” to collect Can you believe this level of customer service in modern India?

While dealer quotes are most cases higher compared to online, there are few benefits like guaranteed cashless claims, dealer assistance in claims and additional coverage at times. There is also scope for some discount on dealer quoted price.

If you have NCB reserving letter, then dealer has no reason to not give NCB discount. However is letter is not available, they usually won't give discount upfront, but payback once you submit the letter. In policy Bazaar I think you get upfront discount irrespective of having letter or not, but unless you submit the NCB reserving letter to them, Policy is not fully valid.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks