Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2023, 19:23   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
And what about the talk about L and 2 ? Am sure that can’t be correct and exclusive to Jimny?
L is for Low gear only, given Jimny has only 3 + 1 gears, I think L means 1st gear only. 2 is limiting gears to 1 and 2 though shift will toggle automatically. The gearbox is similar to 2012 Fortuner 4AT if am not wrong, though in Fortuner I don't think one had to toggle switch(but move sideways to D) to move to overdrive.

Last edited by PrideRed : 26th June 2023 at 19:26.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 19:25   #992
BHPian

Quote:
This means Jimny will be in 3rd gear always if Overdrive is off?

Really?

And his explanation of L and 2 where he says in L car will be in 1st gear always & in 2 car will toggle between 1 and 2n depending on the requirement, and I used to think 2 is for a direct start in 2nd.

What's this going on?
Its correct and I have been driving Also see snippet from service manual. Note the arrow directions.

2nd is a bit tricky and I wasn’t able explain further. Will try in a new video.

Maruti Jimny Review-f2fa459fc6a846fa9bf91f7cb155c26d.jpeg

Last edited by purohitanuj : 26th June 2023 at 19:28.
purohitanuj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 19:30   #993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Its correct and I have been driving Also see snippet from service manual. Note the arrow directions.

2nd is a bit tricky and I wasn’t able explain further. Will try in a new video
I can't make arrows. For me, 2 means - Direct start from 2nd or at least that's what I understand.

Edit - I think this is what is happening in Jimny

https://www.autodeal.com.ph/articles...20transmission.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th June 2023 at 19:31.
Old 26th June 2023, 19:37   #994
Team-BHP Support

Does the Jimny OD stay ON or OFF upon starting?

Quote:

Really?
This is a very common setup in many AT hatches. My 2011 i10 has the same setup, but it is always in Overdrive mode unless you turn it off. It will revert to OD every time it is turned on. Even the earlier Santro, same setup.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 19:40   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does the Jimny OD stay ON or OFF upon starting?

This is a very common setup in many AT hatches. My 2011 i10 has the same setup, but it is always in Overdrive mode unless you turn it off. It will revert to OD every time it is turned on. Even the earlier Santro, same setup.
Gets OD on every restart.

Quote:
I can't make arrows. For me, 2 means - Direct start from 2nd or at least that's what I understand.

Edit - I think this is what is happening in Jimny

https://www.autodeal.com.ph/articles...20transmission.
The arrows shows that in 2, The gearbox can move back and forth <-> in 1 and 2 but will shift down <- from 3.

For 2, 2nd is preferred and it will start to crawl in 2nd but will move to 1st as per requirement.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 26th June 2023 at 19:42. Reason: Use multiquote feature
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 19:58   #996
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

There is a little tiny button on the gear stalk located perfectly for the driver’s thumb, which brings OD on if pressed and switches it off if pressed again.
L is a bit like what we have in my Dads 2019 Glanza CVT. It holds rhe lower gear. It does increase the gearbox whine though. But this is useful in overtaking on hillsides and to keep up the revs and grind up the hills on steeper inclines.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 22:15   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
There was an emp parking spot just beside the brand new Jimny TD vehicle. Parked the Gypsy beside the Jimny and took couple of pictures
The Jimny looks taller (windscreen top edge, headlight and bonnet) compared to the Gypsy although the latter seems to be running slightly longer shackles and 215/75R15 tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Does anyone have the front and rear speaker dia?
It will take 5.25 inch speaker with spacer. Also takes a 6 inch custom fit speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post
/watch?v=sgxkMSVYUOA
The door panel seems to have undergone mutilation to install those 6.5 inch speakers

Quote:
... Also he explains the working of 4 speed AT properly...waiting for next part of the series to see Jimny at Sach Pass in the snow !!
I know these are different vehicles and boxes but if one has driven the old Hyundai i10 4AT (PRND2L) then one will find the Jimny 4AT behaviour to be exactly the same i.e., will hold the gear forever without upshift in L/2 and in D the OD is ON by default (shifting from 1 to 4) and if one does not need the 4th use the OD OFF button to limit the box to 3 gears.

Quote:
/RS75FpmIiBM
Same result as drag racing an i10 Kappa AT with i10 Kappa MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Got the first pictures of the Jimny alloted to me in the yard. Stoked. It looks great! Doesn't Maruti send black cars with those white stickers on the bonnet and large panels etc to prevent scratches like other manufacturers do?
Congrats! Which dealer? When is the delivery?
--

Jimny colours from L to R: KYellow, BBlack, BBlack, NBlue, PAWhite, GGrey.
Maruti Jimny Review-01.jpg

Bonnets
Maruti Jimny Review-02.jpg
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 22:36   #998

Visited Nexa Andheri East on last Saturday to complete payment formalities for a family friend who’s buying a Grand Vitara. Noticed the change in the display car for Jimny which meant that the earlier one is now a TD vehicle.
Our SA Aman was prompt to grab the keys of the Kinetic Yellow Jimny Alpha AT and offered it to us for a TD.

Here are my few observations after a good 10 kms TD (drove it purely in 2H throughout):

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5307.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5305.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5347.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5304.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5302.jpeg
  1. May not have the sheer size of the Mahindra Thar but definitely looks the part. People and I mean everyone on the road gives it a second glance especially in this kinetic yellow shade.
  2. The overall design still looks cohesive with the 5 door layout.
  3. The boot space is pretty limited but enough to pack in a couple of bags and some nick knacks.
    With the rear seats folded there’s plenty of space to haul luggage.
  4. The rear seat experience is best described as satisfactory with the legroom being decent but the seat base lacking under thigh support.
    Also the rear bench is best suited for two with the third person being best avoided.
  5. The front seats are good enough and provide good range of adjustments to find a balanced driving position with a good view of what’s outside.
    The flat bonnet here helps gauge the front end of the car.
  6. The interiors are nothing to write home about but feel built to last with hard wearing plastics all around. Special mention to the large rotary dials which make the operation that bit easier.
    The touchscreen feels smooth to operate with negligible lag paired up to a decent audio set up that will suffice the most average users.
  7. The MID is reminiscent of the gypsy(orange backlit) with some modern flair in the form of an MID.
  8. The driving experience is a mixed bag with some strong positives and some obvious negatives:
    1. The K15B with the grandpa 4-speed TC is well tuned for use within the city confines and only till early triple digits.
    2. The engine feels smooth throughout with better punch than the newer k15C engines helped by the slushbox giving smooth shifts throughout.
      There’s some initial hesitation in building momentum but goes up to highway speeds fairly quick( managed to hit 110 on the elevated airport corridor).
    3. This brings me to the most important aspect of the Jimny: THE RIDE QUALITY
      Suzuki have nailed the suspension setup with this one as it rides over most of the city roads without much unsettling. Yes, you do feel the road imperfections but these are minimal feeling much better than the Mahindra Thar.
      The Jimny is simply in fazed by anything the GREAT INDIAN ROADS throw at it. The ride quality is a highlight of the package IMO.
    4. The smaller size which is often regarded as lack of lack of agreed cred shines within the city with the Jimny feeling light on its feet and managing to squeeze in gaps when required with minimal planning( the wide arches do require some attention though). Also tight U-turns are doable with one single reverse.

Overall the Jimny has a distinct charm which despite it’s shortcomings makes it not only a car worth getting our hands on but and Experience worth indulging into! With this I head back to my grind to earn some moolah that’ll bring this cute little dream of mine closer to reality.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th June 2023 at 08:06. Reason: Spacing between text and images and added indented lists.
themotohead_doc is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 22:38   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Really?

And his explanation of L and 2 where he says in L car will be in 1st gear always & in 2 car will toggle between 1 and 2n depending on the requirement, and I used to think 2 is for a direct start in 2nd.

What's this going on?
If it is in 2, then it means it won't shift up above 2nd gear.
If you want to start in 2nd, then you must use the seperate second start button (not sure if Jinmny has this)

Generally, torque converter automatics also feature a clutch lockup at higher speeds where the 2 turbines will get locked together to run at the same speed to maximise efficiency. It basically acts as a mini 5th gear ratio. This might be the one getting turned off via the overdrive button but I'm not sure since different manufacturers implement this differently.

Last edited by Cresterk : 26th June 2023 at 22:40.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 00:07   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
My take from a short ride on the Jimny's rear seat.
Nice report ! How many Jimnys do you expect in the Kolkata community in next 2 yrs ? And the bigger question is, who will be the first to scale Sandakphu ?
Samfromindia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 04:59   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what about the talk about L and 2 ? Am sure that can’t be correct and exclusive to Jimny?
Let me summarize the gear shift for you. I assume my parents Ciaz has the same/similar gearbox.

D: Depending on load, the transmission will automatically use any gear from 1 - 4.

D (with overdrive off - you will see an "O/D off" light on your dash): Same as above, expect the gearbox will only use gears 1 - 3. This feature is meant for towing where the tall 4th gear means you can't keep up highway speeds.

2: Uses only gear 1 & 2 depending on inputs & load.

L: Locked to first gear.

Quote:
and I used to think 2 is for a direct start in 2nd.
No, this transmission is ancient. :P

You maybe confused as modern transmissions allow you to use "+" (if you have triptonic/manual shifting) to start moving in 2nd gear if you're on a low traction surface like snow.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 27th June 2023 at 05:04.
landcruiser123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 07:49   #1002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Let me summarize the gear shift for you.

Quote:
and I used to think 2 is for a direct start in 2nd.
No, this transmission is ancient.

My confusion is due to this, ancient or not but I thought, it works the same way
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230627-7.45.27-am.png  

Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 08:06   #1003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My confusion is due to this, ancient or not but I thought, it works the same way
It will require a really torquey engine or very different gear ratio to start in 2nd gear. If I am not wrong, among passenger cars below 50L, only Gurkha is usually started in 2nd gear.

I had to explain the same OD thing 12 years ago, when someone thought it was a sports mode button.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 08:29   #1004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had to explain the same OD thing 12 years ago,

We are discussing starting in Second, which has a technical reason; I thought it was the exact implementation in Jimny. The second start (in the manual) is an age-old practice in demanding conditions.

Quote:
when someone thought it was a sports mode button.
This is what that guy wrote

Quote:
There is a button on the shifter lever (Overdrive switch maybe), not the regular shifter button. Press that, and the car is ready for a spirited drive
I have never experienced such a gearbox, but based on comments here, RPMs and the resultant behaviour of the drivetrain should change depending on the position of the OD switch.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2023 at 09:55. Reason: Minor edit.
Old 27th June 2023, 08:34   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Nice report ! How many Jimnys do you expect in the Kolkata community in next 2 yrs ? And the bigger question is, who will be the first to scale Sandakphu ?
That should be easy for this tiny bundle of joy.
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks