Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2024, 12:21   #3646
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Our Jimny completed its first 100+ km trip this week, (More about it here (Weekend Trip to Mekedatu) ) and I’ve got more to share about it. Attaching some photos of the Jimny for you all to check out.

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240913wa0041.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240913wa0042.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240913wa0043.jpg
Shining Eyes

I have to say, I’m really starting to love the whining sound—it’s a nice reminder of the car’s potential. As for fuel efficiency, it’s not too bad overall, although the mileage display on the infotainment went a little crazy.

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240913wa0031.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240913wa0032.jpg
Average FE rose from 7.5 to 10.9kmpl

One thing I am disappointed with is the brakes. Believe it or not, our 20-year-old Santro has better braking power than this! The first 10% of brake travel feels loose, like it doesn’t do much at all. Is this just an issue with our Jimny, or is it something common during the run-in period?

Also, the automatic headlamps seem super sensitive, almost acting like DRLs. It’s not really an issue for me, though, since I can easily tell when the headlights are actually needed.

After driving the Santro, where you can practically shift to 2nd or 3rd gear and keep going forever, the Jimny’s gearbox takes some getting used to. I find myself having to shift down to 1st at every speed breaker.

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240914wa0005.jpg
Unwrapping the day before the trip

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20240914-12.01.36_7b8e5491.jpg
Monkeys at Sanghama have Diarrhea. I remembered Clarkson saying this.

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240914wa0002.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240914wa0003.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240914wa0007.jpg
NutHead1270 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 19:07   #3647
BHPian

After a lot of delays I finally took delivery of my Jimny. It is Alpha AT model.
Maruti Jimny Review-purchased-jimny-1.jpeg

I had taken a 5 hours long drive of forum member "TheWhiteKnight"'s Jimny (MT) so I had a fair idea of how it would behave. But still I am pleasantly surprised by the smooth ride and decent handling.
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-side-view.jpg

I was aprehensive as to whether my father would be able to sit in the front seat. But I was pleasantly surprised to see him easily get into the front seat. Amazing considering he is 95 years old with serious spine and hip issues. Spot on ergonomics!!!
Maruti Jimny Review-appa-jimny-3.jpeg
sridhar-v is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 09:48   #3648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Tyres

I upsized the tyres to Continental CrossContact AT 215/75/R15 and maintain a pressure between 27-29 psi. The ride quality has been really nice, and the road noise hasn’t increased much from the stock condition. I liked the way these tyres performed on broken, muddy, and wet patches. It may have reduced the fuel efficiency a bit, but I much prefer the incremental grip and, of course, the aesthetics.
Hello! I noticed you've installed the full spare wheel cover from Suzuki. I upgraded the stock tyres on my Jimny to the LT215/75R15 Yokohama Geolandar AT but refrained from getting the full spare wheel cover as I did not know if it will foul with tyres.

Did you have any issues installing the full spare wheel cover with the larger 215/75 tyres? Thanks!
Old 16th September 2024, 11:01   #3649
BHPian

My Suzuki Jimny Granite Grey Alpha AT

Not a full fledged review, but a short commentary and very little mods I have done to make it convenient.

Why did i buy a Jimny ?

I have been changing cars too often, and I am sure I have lost quite a good amount of money, but that is part of it - buying used, selling it, buying another one etc., - In the recent past, I have owned XUV500, Fortuner, Crysta, Thar Crde etc., which are all quite big and intimidating vehicles. Finally I wanted to buy a cuter car which can be my second car with a proper 4x4 and I ended up with a Jimny, that too only after those discounts (3L) as I wanted to match the value of the car to my heart. I am also a person who like DIY and Jimny is a capable contender for that sort of a stuff.

Ride Quality - It is really good at descent speeds and the suspension is great and I have started loving to go over defective and pot holed roads intentionally - some sort of a fun, which can be described only when driving this little car.

Acceleration - Many people suggested to go for the Throttle Controller, but I hesitated and I am sure, I am getting used to the stock one which is very comfortable to drive in the City. - rev it, take off, upshifts, smooth, cruise. When required, push it, drops down, catch up - Unless we want to overtake a car already moving at 100 kmph - adapt a little, we will love this car - my take at this moment.

Air Conditioning - One Word - Awesome ! It is a chiller and at 25 C, it nicely cools the cabin and great. There is no complaint from rear seat passengers too, as it is a small cabin and pretty efficient.

Front Seats - Great and I have no major complaints, except for the footwell to be a little small to keep my left foot (mine an AT). I am sure we can travel long distances and front seat passengers will not have an issue

Rear Seats - Not that great due to lesser under thigh support and strictly for 2 Adults and possibly only for short distances (say 100-150 kms max) - It could be OK for young kids, then can be considered a single car too. The reclining angle is poor as well, an I am breaking my brain to find out a mod to increase the reclining angle. If there is a way to remove and re-position the twin slots, then it could recline much better. Will have to figure out without spoiling anything.

Boot Space - Since this is not considered as a 4 people long distance tourer, the boot space is adequate for short trips. In case just two people for long journeys, yes, fold the rear seats and you have a much larger space. If that is the case, we can infact make it better - simply remove the rear seat bottom (just 2 bolts from behind), fold the backrest which levels, create a small storage solution (a box lined properly) to match the height of the folded backrest, make it a flat floor and that is it - we will have all the space.

Tires - I am contended to use OE tires for now and have no intentions to upgrade in the near future. This is purely for my use case as I am not going any hardcore off roading and this should be adequate.

Steering - I like the steering little heavy and this suits my taste. The only problem is the turning radius which is little too much for this car. We have to act a little faster for the steering to respond and not react at the last minute like driving an EPS vehicle - again a question of few days to get used to.

Audio - Adequate from a Head Unit perspective with all the features, but not from a speaker perspective. At the same time, since this is a small car, I just do not want to invest too much on an Audio Upgrade. I know a little about Audio and wanted to "just" move to the next level with a least expensive option. Bought a pair of Pioneer 5 1/4 Coaxials @ 2.7 K, bought 4 damping sheets (STP) and did the DIY yesterday.

One sheet per door, minimum damping of Outer skin of the door, Plugged the large and small holes/openings of the inner skin - This is to reduce the resonance of bare metal and I was actually not "sound deadening" the door by doing 2/3/4 layers !
  • Added a spacer ring, fixed the new Speakers. Cut and remove the terminal from the old speakers (you can just break it), solder the new speaker terminal and the removed adapter terminals using a short wire. Then just plugged the OE wiring harness terminal to this one - No cutting, strapping, simple method as anyway, I am going to throw off the old speaker. While doing this, I remembered to having a pair of Kicker Tweeters lying around, which I connected using a 2uF cap in series and placed it on the door pad close to the rear view mirror.
  • Just damped the rear doors similar to above and did not change the speakers, may be I will soon with the same set of Pioneers to complete the upgrade.
  • As sound, looks are all subjective, I do not want to cross reference with anything or anything others do, but I would want to say one thing - For this car, this itself is enough with crisp highs, tight bass, a descent mid-range. I think I can make the mid bass weight even better once I replace the rear speakers as well. I am sure there will be incremental benefits as we move higher up, adding Amplifiers, Sub woofers etc., but not sure whether they will return that much value. I am very happy with what i have achieved with a total of 7K investment, + another 3k for rear speakers to round it off.

Storage - topic beaten to death and I went for the following :
  • Molle panel with few pouches, water bottle holder etc.,
  • Magnetic Mobile phone holder
  • Canvas storage solution around the Centre Consol
  • Visor Sunglass holder (pouch)
  • Armoro rear seat organiser which i put it behind the rear seat
  • Adding a Canvas seat cover from Armoro

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny1.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny2.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny3.jpg

The pouches etc., I bought it from Oliveplanet.in, FYI

Dashcam - Qubo PRO, does a good job for around 4K

As this vehicle is mod friendly, our thought process can continuously be engaged and for me this is a very entertaining vehicle to keep myself busy.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 14:19   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutHead1270 View Post
... the brakes. ...The first 10% of brake travel feels loose, like it doesn’t do much at all. ...
I think, it is "as designed". Long pedal travel "helps" to actuate the engine start-stop feature. At standstill, keep the pedal pressed lightly and the engine will keep running. Press it harder (pedal goes down a few more mm) and engine turns off. After ~8500 kms, I'm now used to this, and it works like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
  • Armoro rear seat organiser which i put it behind the rear seat
How is the quality? Please post a review, if possible, with pictures.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 16th September 2024 at 14:24. Reason: combine replies
bj96 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 15:48   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk172 View Post
Did you have any issues installing the full spare wheel cover with the larger 215/75 tyres? Thanks!
I replaced only four tyres. The spare is stock. While the diameter of the upsized tyre is marginally smaller than the OEM, the extra width would have made the cover an eyesore or a difficult fit. So, I stuck to replacing only four tyres.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 19:06   #3652

I noticed that layer in the wheel well seems to have peeled off or scratched off today after a wash. I don't know if it is due to the jet spray. Has any one else noticed this? Is there anything to be done now?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-pxl_20240916_111851430.jpg  

asgujar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 21:22   #3653
BHPian

Hi team,
Hope you and your Jimnys are doing good.

It looks like slowly people are seeing value in Jimny. If only Maruti had priced it better, we would have seen many more Jimnys on the road.
The sales have declined again given less discount and less number of ready stocks.

On a side note, in our family and friend's circle, we have almost 6-7 Jimnys. Since we belong to a rural area, and surrounded by coffee plantations, farms and narrow roads, most of our households will have at least one 4x4 in our garage, to be used for farm/estate/city runs and few of them even venture out for off-roading often.

Note: All Jimnys were bought in different timelines and different dealerships.
If only we had discussed or group planned correctly, we could have done bulk booking.

So thought of sharing some pics of us welcoming our Jimnys. (Have added a side note of our ex/current 4x4s as well)

1. My White Rhino Alpha AT : (I sold my MM540 recently)
Maruti Jimny Review-dlc-jimny.jpg

2. My uncle's Black Alpha AT : (He sold his Gypsy long back and has a bolero pickup 4x4 now)
Maruti Jimny Review-dbm-jimny.jpg

3. My close friend's Alpha MT : (ex owner of gypsy)
Maruti Jimny Review-m-jimny-mt.jpg

4. My cousin's White Alpha AT delivered last week. (He has a MM540 as well)
Maruti Jimny Review-sam-jimny.jpg

5. My Uncle's friend bought his Alpha AT last month. (He still has Thar 3D and the last batch of Gypsy and a few others) I don't have direct contact with him though.
Maruti Jimny Review-sr-jimny.jpg

6. Additionally, my father's friend booked his Jimny AT last month and is awaiting delivery next week. (He also owns a bolero pickup 4x4)
Maruti Jimny Review-last-jimny.jpg

PS:
Sharing this, to showcase, if the usage is there or if your heart desires, then Jimny will surely find its way home.

As most of us are aware, it's no way a competition to Thar 3D and ROXX especially in engine spec. But nonetheless, it's a pure joy and fun to own and drive it. "A heart vs head decision".
It's much more practical for us and can work as an all-rounder, the additional doors are a boon for ladies and kids to get in comfortably to the back seats.

For below 15L onroad(discounted) Bangalore, Jimny is a terrific buy and we all are loving it. And knowing ROXX 4x4 Mid/Topend will surely cost 26L/30L onroad Bangalore, is making us appreciate Jimny even more.

Regards,
Chandan

Last edited by DLC5005 : 16th September 2024 at 21:37. Reason: Typo
DLC5005 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 21:24   #3654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post

Got myself a printed User Manual, from printster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
... had the user manual printed from Printster.in, and the quality is superb...
+1 satisfied printster.in customer.

Submitted a downloaded user manual PDF from NEXA, took a week or so from order to delivery.

For the 550 rupees it cost with shipping included, quality is great. Customer service is prompt and helpful with questions too (I only tried over email).

Happy camper.
Maruti Jimny Review-pxl_20240916_133341322.jpg
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 08:13   #3655
BHPian

Cross posting from the Thar ROXX thread -

This video has a comparison between the Roxx, Gurkha and Jimny. But more than the comparison, it's the statistics that are interesting. Especially the 'speed accuracy' bit - watch from about 28 minutes.

According to their tests the Jimny speedometer is about 4-5km off from the actual speed of the vehicle - means that if your speedo is showing 60 kmph, the Jimny is only doing about 56 kmph and this gap is more or less there across higher speeds too.

A question - does this mean that the ODO will also show few extra kilometres - say 105 km instead of 100 km actually travelled by the car?
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 08:37   #3656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
A question - does this mean that the ODO will also show few extra kilometres - say 105 km instead of 100 km actually travelled by the car?
Thats a long term cheating many car companies have been doing since ages, especially Maruti and Honda.

Most of their cars are not much cheaper to run for actual kilometers covered compared to other cars in similar categories with the accurate speedometers. Anyways, it doesn't matter as long as it keeps people happy when they see the boosted mileage on the MFD.

But then an advantage in case of Jimny is that the speedo error will reduce when tyres are upsized inste4ad of going into negative.

----------------

Coming back to Jimny, I wonder why the retro mods haven't yet took place in India? Everyone here seem to be following the same monotonous mods. Sharing some photos of retro modded Jimnys from @megajimny insta page:

Loving this blue boy with these old school chrome wheel covers on the retro white rims and tyre combo
Name:  Retro 08  megajimny.png
Views: 307
Size:  520.2 KB

Name:  Retro 02  megajimny.png
Views: 327
Size:  674.1 KB

Name:  Retro 01  megajimny.png
Views: 326
Size:  648.0 KB

Name:  Retro 03  megajimny.png
Views: 325
Size:  570.9 KB

Name:  Retro 04  megajimny.png
Views: 333
Size:  559.9 KB

Name:  Retro 05  megajimny.png
Views: 330
Size:  508.1 KB

Name:  Retro 07  megajimny.png
Size:  474.4 KB

Name:  Retro 09  megajimny.png
Size:  451.5 KB

Name:  Retro 10  megajimny.png
Views: 334
Size:  670.7 KB

Name:  Retro 06  megajimny.png
Views: 311
Size:  553.8 KB
Image credits: @megajimny insta page

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th September 2024 at 08:41.
tbppjpr is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 12:41   #3657
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Adding a Canvas seat cover from Armoro[/list]
Did you buy these seat covers? Sorry, I could not gather that from pics. Even I am eyeing these, but Armoro has to be the least responsive ecom seller I encountered. They do not bother to answer the query on airbags.

From the looks, it seems to be perfect match for my requirements but this airbag concern is holding me back since a long time

Last edited by ChauhanSaurabh : 18th September 2024 at 12:42.
Old 18th September 2024, 14:27   #3658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChauhanSaurabh View Post
Did you buy these seat covers? Sorry, I could not gather that from pics. Even I am eyeing these, but Armoro has to be the least responsive ecom seller I encountered. They do not bother to answer the query on airbags.

From the looks, it seems to be perfect match for my requirements but this airbag concern is holding me back since a long time
Hi, I have just received the parcel yesterday and I will install the seat covers during this weekend. Just call them and speak to clarify your doubts - agree, they are slow on whatsapp. They responded to me quite well. I checked on the Airbags too and their explanation is - They have made these seat covers as per international standards for seats with Airbags, i.e., the stitching on that particular seam where the Airbag would come out is of a special light thread which will give up incase the need arises. More than that, it is up to us whether to go for it or not, I went ahead with it.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 15:31   #3659
BHPian

Evo India has made a nice comparison of Thar vs Gurkha vs Jimny.

Way2Jimny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 17:38   #3660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Coming back to Jimny, I wonder why the retro mods haven't yet took place in India? Everyone here seem to be following the same monotonous mods.
Some of us have to drive through Chandigarh to get to better places. Our police and RTO don’t take modifications very kindly.

Quote:
They have made these seat covers as per international standards for seats with Airbags, i.e., the stitching on that particular seam where the Airbag would come out is of a special light thread which will give up incase the need arises. More than that, it is up to us whether to go for it or not, I went ahead with it.
I was given a similar explanation by the manufacturer from whom I got the seat covers stitched. They claim to use breakaway stitches on the panels where airbags are situated. Just to be on the safer side, I asked them to keep the airbag section exposed. It isn’t visible when the seat is in its normal position and doesn’t become an eyesore. At the same time, offers better peace of mind.

Sharing it in case others want to go for a similar approach.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3617.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3658.jpeg

Last edited by Biraj : 18th September 2024 at 17:46. Reason: Multi-quote
Biraj is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks