Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2024, 17:30   #3391
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I have owned the Jimny Alpha AT for 13 days now and have covered 3150 KMs.
Great! This is the way cars should be used. I hate when people buy cars and use it for 1000-3000 kms/year. People should buy cars only when their running is more than 10k kms/year or else they should use public transport or cabs.
LMOO2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 22:10   #3392

I wonder if someone can help me out here. I ordered a fog lamp stay from Automods but as usual, after sending me the wrong one, they sent me the one I'd ordered, except it didn't fit.

I sent them back a video showing the problem [the welded bolts are too long to allow the unit to slide into the slots inside the grill frame] but all that they keep repeating is "Sir, go to a sensible garage." Harman Impex which imports these stays also keeps repeating the same.

I have a feeling if I just trim the bolts down by a cm or so, it ought to slide in. Has anyone fitted one of these things? Some help would sure be appreciated.

Maruti Jimny Review-fog-light-stay-not-fitting.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th July 2024 at 15:33. Reason: fixed image
Old 19th July 2024, 10:31   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
City is Mumbai. The only reason why I am in doubt is question if there is a facelift on the cards? Also electric Jimny will be launched in Europe.

Anyways this will be probably my last ICE car. in next 3-4 years my harrier will be up for upgrade and will probably be replaced by a long range EV (hopefully SUV if available)
I wouldn't count on a facelift, given that the numbers are bad I also don't know if the EV will come to India soon. I'd say don't put the pressure of this being your 'last' ICE car. You never know what the future holds. And if you're happy with the Harrier, the EV version of that will surely suit you more. If the Jimny is something you love, go for it. Like I said the price, especially in Mumbai, is killer!

But buy it only if you LOVE it because there are too many things that might bother you. It's a utilitarian vehicle, not really a 'family' car, and of course the look-feel/road presence which is already a massive talking point all around!
Old 19th July 2024, 14:44   #3394

Booked Jimny after a year of showroom visits

The first time I sat in a Jimny was in Jan 2023 in a village in Oman that used to be a RAF base in WWII. The knight in the kinetic yellow armor helped pull our rented Rental Megane out of some sand.

End of the story:

Booked the bluish black Alpha AT Jimny at Rs 15.6 lakh (a discount of about Rs 2.15 lakh) without financing. Added Rs 10,000 worth of accessories (mud flaps, floor laminates, & floor mats). They added another Rs 10,000 worth of services for free (Underbody anti-rust coating and some other coating for the exhaust).

After this they tried to convince us to accept a car from the Pune stockyard (which would be driven to Mumbai). But we stood firm on getting one delivered from the Bhiwandi stock yard (without raking up additional km)

Booked on July 9. Delivery is expected on July 28.

Back story:

Ras Al Hadd is the eastern-most point of the Arabian Peninsula and that was one of the reasons why the Brits chose it as an air force base. The 80-year-old cratered runway is the only road in that village, which is now popular for sightings of Olive Ridley turtles, among other turtles.

Me, my partner and a friend were on a road trip in Jan 2023: We reached the village after dark (as we stopped on the way to swim in some gorgeous canyons). After a point, the blacktop road was no more, and I continued to drive slowly on gravel with some sand towards our Airbnb (located via Google Maps). About 300m from the villa, there was a fork, I took a left as that was the shortest route and the road quality looked the same. I was wary of the sand in some places (it is a windy place - leading to mounds of sands in places). Within a few seconds, the front tires got stuck in the sand.

Tried to reverse but since it was a front-wheel drive I ended up digging a dipper hole.

I gave up and called the Airbnb owner for help - and out came this Oman person in this cute car cursing the French car we were in. He got a one belt out... I attached it to the towing point in the Megane and he went to the Jimny. He had warned me to stamp on the breaks as soon as I was out of the sand. The Jimny pulled this sedan out without any drama - that was the beginning of the desire to have this car.

Soon after the Jimny was launched in India, we went to have a look in Nexa Vashi. Test drive wasn't available then. So, our first test drive happened in Nexa Thane a week or so later (July 2023) - the quote for the top variant with automatic transmission was just over Rs 18 lakh.

We decided to wait a bit to see the reviews. The key drawback that people flagged that time was the 1.5L engine - not enough and so on.

Around the same time, we decided to not sell our Volkswagen Polo GT TSI (2017). The alternative was to sell the Polo and go for the Compass or the Tiguan. But months after test drives of all these vehicles, the Jimny kept coming back to mind though the Tiguan and Compass offered creature comforts beyond comparison.

We were travelling abroad in Dec, so we didn't see the offers on Jimny then. When we went back to a showroom (Nexa Lower Parel - Sai Service) in April 2024, they refused to give any discount. The final quote Rs 17.93 lakh.

We decided to wait again. In May, in Nexa Bhandup (KTS Auto), we got a quote of Rs 17.13 lakh. It just didn't seem sweet enough.

Finally, this month I got a verbal offer of Rs 1.5 lakh discount from Nexa Chembur (Excel Autovista). On visiting the showroom, they tried to push the Maruti financing deal (offering Rs 3.3 lakh discount), which I resisted due to lack of transparency.
asgujar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 16:47   #3395
BHPian

Re: Booked Jimny after a year of showroom visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgujar View Post
The first time I sat in a Jimny was in Jan 2023 in a village in Oman that used to be a RAF base in WWII. The knight in the kinetic yellow armor helped pull our rented Rental Megane out of some sand.

End of the story:

But months after test drives of all these vehicles, the Jimny kept coming back to mind though the Tiguan and Compass offered creature comforts beyond comparison.
Congratulations on booking the Jimny. It does have this stickiness, doesn’t it? Once you fall for it, always keeps coming back to your mind, even displacing cars with more creature comforts and features and even cheaper more ‘VFM’ ones!

Wishing you a speedy and timely delivery of the car and millions of miles and millions of smiles per mile in it. Do keep updating the thread with your ownership review.
Evyas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 14:18   #3396
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: IO Pedal Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
One Question: Doesnt the difference these throttle controllers bring are only below WoT (Wide Open Throttle, Full Acc Pedal) and not really with respect to fueling right? i.e., if you do an immediate Pedal to Metal with one of these and without one of these, both should be same, right?
Factory setting for WoT condition in Jimny is set at around 90% pedal, probably to control fuel economy / emissions. Within ECU, WoT is a predefined logical condition and not what you think. For example, I have set my WoT condition at 73% pedal instead of 90% - something that external controller cannot do. That means when my pedal is pressed at 73%, it goes in WoT mode - meaning the Lambda is now aimed at rich 0.8, instead of 1.0 as shown, regardless of where the throttle plate is.

Throttle controlling is a different condition altogether. With an external controller, you are only opening the throttle plate % early (imagine increasing 43.25% to 50% in blue box). It still wont go into WoT logic until it has crossed the predefined threshold of 73% pedal (that blue line, y axis, somewhere between 50 and 80).

This is based on observations in data log I collected and logic can differ from manufacturer. Thats why i prefer to edit my ecu manually, so I have total control of what is going on. Gamification features like valet mode or 'i felt the push/zhatka' etc dont really excite me
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatever.jpg  

aerohit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 15:29   #3397
BHPian

So this won't be a long post since the long post is becoming REALLY long. So I want to take my time and get it just right.

This is just a small announcement to share we are now the proud owners of a Jimny.
Born in Feb, red and lovely and bright and happy - say hello to our little Love Bug

Maruti Jimny Review-birthday-bow.jpeg

It's my birthday today and this was my wife's gift to me. Planned it and got a lot of things done in advance. Those were also full of adventures which I will list in my longer post!

Maruti Jimny Review-birthday-message.jpeg

We've been without a car for 3 years. Our last car - the Duster.

We have been test driving and booking-cancelling cars for 1.5. Finding the Jimny was the happiest day for us. It meant we could go on our long drives and adventures again..

Maruti Jimny Review-drive.jpeg

A grand adventure awaits..

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3773.jpeg

And let me tell you, it is an absolute pleasure to drive. I've genuinely not had so much fun driving - even in traffic! This is my first automatic so I guess I'm not finicky about a lot of the lack of power/engine specs. I've only drive AMTs which made me hate auto boxes but this one is SO smooth and relaxed. Exactly the kind of way I drive.

Maruti Jimny Review-int.jpeg

Like with everything in life, I've realised you have to find a car that matches you, connects with you. And the Jimny has imprinted with me like no other car. I have no idea how or why - I just love it.

Maruti Jimny Review-wheel-cladding.jpeg

And not just me, my wife loves it. Firstly because it's red, which was her primary criteria for our new car - it has to be bright red. And bright it is! I've never seen a happier looking car.

I mean, just look at it!!

Maruti Jimny Review-tail.jpeg
Maruti Jimny Review-headlight.jpeg

It's red all over!
So many little red hints even inside the cabin.

Maruti Jimny Review-red-hint.jpeg

Oooof!!
Maruti Jimny Review-red-blue.jpg

In its natural habitat. Tell me you don't see it grinning with the front wheel arch, because I do!

Maruti Jimny Review-side-profile.jpeg

Couldn't resist a glam shot.
Maruti Jimny Review-glam-shot.jpeg

Thank you to all the members here who have talked about and discussed the Jimny at length.

Especially Shankar Balan, the original defender of the Jimny's honour!, gsferrari whose YT videos were so great to watch and helped me decide since I'm as tall as him, Ksingh544 for his travelogue pics and of course Samba for his incredible ownership report. These I can remember of the top of my head but anyone and everyone on this thread - thank you. Especially the naysayers and the ones who didn't like it - made me understand the shortcomings going in!

Maruti Jimny Review-allgrip.jpeg

I am not a modder nor an off-roader. This is for me and my wife primarily a city car with some highway trips planned as of now. But we're willing to venture out once I get more comfortable with it.

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-logo.jpeg

Maybe it's not an ideal car, maybe it's not a VFM car, maybe I could have found a better car in the budget.
But this is the perfect car for me and my wife. We love it and look forward to many many adventures in it.

Maruti Jimny Review-through-rain.jpeg

Will see you soon with a detailed choosing, buying and ownership report.

Take care and keep on keeping on.
Evyas is online now   (118) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 16:07   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
Maybe it's not an ideal car, maybe it's not a VFM car, maybe I could have found a better car in the budget.
But this is the perfect car for me and my wife. We love it and look forward to many many adventures in it.
A very happy birthday to you! What you have written above is really all that matters. It will raise the eyebrows of "the rational man", but some of us know exactly what you mean, and how you feel!
Lone Ranger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 16:10   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
So this won't be a long post since the long post is becoming REALLY long. So I want to take my time and get it just right.

This is just a small announcement to share we are now the proud owners of a Jimny.
Born in Feb, red and lovely and bright and happy - say hello to our little Love Bug
Congratulations on the lovely acquisition Evyas and a really happy birthday
Jimny looks just too out of this world(IMO) and this is what I exactly like about it. It doesn’t looks brawny and it’s not gonna win any beauty pageants either. Still, it has a funky charm which is irresistible.

Wishing you thousands of kms of not just touring but some exploration as well.
What was the booking to delivery timeline?

Mine is coming on a train and it’s taking eternity.

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 20th July 2024 at 16:12.
abhi_tjet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 19:22   #3400

Re: Booked Jimny after a year of showroom visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgujar View Post
which I resisted due to lack of transparency.
Hey, congratulations on booking the Jimny. I am very close to finalising mine and it would be great if you could elaborate on the issue with the MSIL financing option.

I am getting a quote of around 13.90 on road in Delhi if I go with the additional 1.5 discount on the financing option.
Motolysis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 21:58   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Which variant are you going for? Manual or Automatic?
Way2Jimny is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 23:26   #3402

Hello everyone,

Took the delivery of my Jimny today from Nexa Roorkee. The experience was alright. I went alone as my wife and parents were not very happy with the decision to buy another 4wd after Duster AWD. Even the showroom guys were not super excited hence everything was a low key affair. I asked them to explain the automatic gear box for me once and someone came but knew nothing regarding the L and 2.
Nowadays they don't give user manual and have an app instead which could not be installed as usual
Finally I became wiser by watching some YouTube videos. It took them two hours to finish the formalities and then the Jimny was all mine.
I am attaching a few pics. I will follow it up with my driving experience later.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-20240718_162109.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20240718_162051.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20240720_230325.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20240718_151254.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20240718_162029.jpg  

drrashmisaurabh is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 12:25   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
A very happy birthday to you! What you have written above is really all that matters. It will raise the eyebrows of "the rational man", but some of us know exactly what you mean, and how you feel!
Thanks so much for the wishes Lone Ranger. So glad I found this forum where both can co-exist, the rationalists and the romantics

In fact the title of my longer post is about feeling, which is what led me to this car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations on the lovely acquisition Evyas and a really happy birthday
Jimny looks just too out of this world(IMO) and this is what I exactly like about it. It doesn’t looks brawny and it’s not gonna win any beauty pageants either. Still, it has a funky charm which is irresistible.

Wishing you thousands of kms of not just touring but some exploration as well.
What was the booking to delivery timeline?

Thank you for all the wishes abhi_tjet! And despite the not so brawny looks, the amount of people who check it out is unbelievable. They'll be passing or overtaking and take a long hard look at it before going off! I can't see a lot since I'm concentrating on the road, but my wife tells me hey look, they're checking out our car!

Yes, looking forward to joining some explorers group to learn about off-roading and getting the know-how to do it well.

The delivery was actually almost instant since they had the colour and variant I wanted in their stockyard, like literally the last piece in Mumbai is what my wife was told. The finance formalities and taking a choice number is what we had to wait for.

Here's wishing your Jimny comes soon - sabra ka phal meetha is true. It will be worth the wait. We waited 3 years for a car and now can't wait to go out at the smallest excuse, even in these Mumbai torrential rains! What colour and variant have you booked?
Evyas is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 12:34   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrashmisaurabh View Post
Hello everyone,

Took the delivery of my Jimny today from Nexa Roorkee. The experience was alright. I went alone as my wife and parents were not very happy with the decision to buy another 4wd after Duster AWD. Even the showroom guys were not super excited hence everything was a low key affair. I asked them to explain the automatic gear box for me once and someone came but knew nothing regarding the L and 2.
Nowadays they don't give user manual and have an app instead which could not be installed as usual
Finally I became wiser by watching some YouTube videos. It took them two hours to finish the formalities and then the Jimny was all mine.
I am attaching a few pics. I will follow it up with my driving experience later.
Congratulations on getting your Jimny! And welcome to the club

The yellow looks lovely. Other than red, yellow is the only colour I felt drawn to. Great choice! And the accessory in the last picture: is it the illuminated door sill guard? Very cool looking, do share details.

I'm really sorry the showroom experience was muted but I hope your family will come around to loving the Jimny once they give it a chance. Like the dog memes we have - 'day 1 of my dad saying no dog will enter the house to day 30 of the dog sitting on his lap all the time' The Jimny is a wonderful little car and your family will love it soon!

The showroom experience was quite dull in my case too, tbh. Forget L and 2, they didn't even tell me where the toolkit is! It was almost they felt - we've ticked all the boxes, taken a few pictures, had an 'unveiling' now let's move on to more margin-giving and volume moving cars!

But like they say on this forum, don't let the showroom dampen your love for the car, which I'm sure hasn't happened.

Here's wishing you millions of miles and millions of smiles per mile in your new car. And do update on your journey as you go forward.

Last edited by Evyas : 21st July 2024 at 12:40. Reason: Missed a line
Evyas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 20:06   #3405
BHPian

Congratulations to both drrashmisaurabh and Evyas. Excellent colors both of these.

Quote:
Congratulations on getting your Jimny! And welcome to the club

And the accessory in the last picture: is it the illuminated door sill guard? Very cool looking, do share details.
It looks good but I would simply suggest to avoid it. Its installed by splicing the front cabin light cable. Atleast in my case that is how they did and I wouldn't even have known as it was part of thunder kit and they installed it in my absence, when I was about to take the delivery I noticed the sil guard light not going off even when the door is closed, upon highlighting this the acc. installer was called, the guy removed the panel on the front left pillar and adjusted the wiring connections which is when I saw that installation was done by tapping into the existing wire by splicing it ! But what was done was done by then, hence please do verify how they will install it.
AVL500 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks