Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2024, 03:32   #3376
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post

This quote includes discount of 1,80,000 + 1,50,000 only. No other discount. RTO amount was 1,05,000 approx.
In which city or state can we get RTO amount of 105000? This would be very useful information for people buying new cars
Old 14th July 2024, 09:24   #3377
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Jimny is iconic.

The Jimny is awesome.

The Jimny offers an experience like no other.

But the engine is just so strained!

I test drove it and it is not the car for me. I loved the seating position (visibility for city driving), the suspension, the control I had over it in off road conditions. But the engine was so strained. Maybe it was the test drive vehicles fault (and I will go to another Nexa showroom to test drive it again) but the damn engine was so strained. It was really annoying. Even on light throttle inputs in speeds of upto 60-70, I could hear the engine building up speed. In my Nano, I understand. In the Jimny, I expected a lot better. I am not saying I expected Virtus kind of speed build up. All I am saying is that I knew the engine and gearbox are old and weak but I did not expect such a strained performance at city speeds.

Car is for my father. We wanted a car with less power but this is really less power. He drives a Grand i10 currently and it is the 1.2 liter Kappa engine with 82 BHP and 4 speed auto. Its MUCHH smoother and better to drive than the Jimny with almost similar power to weight ratio and transmission. Grand i10 autos acceleration (although not scorching fast) is far better and acceptable than the Jimny's. Grand i10 automatic is NEVER strained in normal driving conditions. Of course, if I really revv it hard then the gears get confused.

For the benefit of other potential buyers, here is the quotation received from two different dealers. I will go to a third dealer today to verify yesterday's driving experience.

1. Jeewan Motors Nexa Hoshangabad Road Bhopal -
Ex Showroom: 14,79,000/-
Consumer Offer: 1,80,000/-
MSSF offer: 1,50,000/-
Ex Showroom price after discount: 11,49,000/-
Insurance: 35,000/-
RTO Charges: 1,48,775/-
Temp registration charges: 500/-
TCS: 14790/-
Total: 13,49,065/-

2. Rajrup Motor Junction Nexa ISBT Bhopal
Ex Showroom: 14,79,000/-
Consumer offer: 1,00,000/-
MSSF offer: 1,50,000/-
Dealer margin discount: 80,000/-
Ex Showroom price after discount: 11,49,000/-
Zero Dep Maruti Insurance: 40,939/-
RTO Charges: 1,51,060/-
Extended warranty charges: 35,057/-
Accessory charges: 11,900/-
MSR charges: 885/-
TCS: 14790/-
Total: 14,03,631/-
sjain2054 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 17:03   #3378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Has anyone faced the following with 4L selection:

1. 4L not engaging on the first try; accompanied with a terrible gear crunching sound.
2. 4L engaging and the car reverses on engaging D/2/L and vice-versa.

I've felt the need to use 4L quite sparingly and always put the car in N before engaging 4L (and 4H). It was a very close shave at one occasion where the car was in 4L and suddenly lunged forward towards a cliff end even though I had put it in reverse.
1) This should not really happen if main gearbox is in neutral when switching to 4Lo, BUT almost any manual gear-set can fail to immediately mesh on occasion, care should be taken to not press accelerator too quickly after shifting to 4Lo and selecting whichever main gear.

2) Sounds very unusual; Unless maybe the car was on a slope at the time and gravity simply pulled it suddenly backwards at the point you released the brake, BEFORE torque-convertor reached "stall-speed" rpm and drove the car forward as it should.

I think a visit to the showroom and workshop would be advisable, as it sounds dangerous to both vehicle and passengers within. True whether operator error or technical issue with shift linkage, GB valve-body/solenoids, etc.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 18:00   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Samurais were a popular grey import in the US.
Seeing the popularity, suzuki officially launched with this fun ad campaign. People bought and tried having fun they interpreted it, i.e. going FAST on tarmac. Lots of samurais toppled and a bad name stuck with the car thereafter.
My elder cousin was a salesman at a dealership in that time, had a demo he took into parkland and properly scared my aged uncle with, pushing the offroad limits. Nearly flipped it over backwards with four aboard, in fact, had it teetering vertically on the rear bumper after sliding uncontrollably in reverse down the steepest of inclines and hitting the horizontal with force and not quite enough "departure" angle! Mud bogs and all that were enjoyed, too, in proper topless form.

The more complete story:

The Samurai was shorter wheelbase than Gypsy, they had come out during my high-school years, were dirt cheap ($4999 perhaps?), and had a top speed (in carb form then) of about 55-60mph.

Soooo... Parents of teenagers bought them up thinking that with such low bhp vs. a 5.0 Mustang or Camaro, they'd be quite harmless/ safe for new drivers in the over-enthusiasm of youth.

Unfortunately, the short WB and relatively high ride height made them a bit tipsy under very specific conditions of sudden steering transitions at speed... which of course should have been predictable, but since the days of pre-1965 swing-axle Corvairs, there really wasn't a U.S. market car that could be flipped over on a flat road surface without hitting something...

People weren't so much into universal seatbelt use then, either, and quite a few student-aged persons sadly died. (As my father's classmate had in a '63-ish ragtop Corvair his senior year of high school).

Whereupon two decades onwards, Ralph-Nader-ish types once again all banded together to declare the latest evil and curse upon American society in the form of that deceptively cute little Japanese Jeep...

...And that was all she wrote.

Not long after, Suzuki introduced marginally wider, heavier, more curvy vehicles like the (GM-branded) Geo Tracker that didn't flip over. They sold a fair number, but probably not many to high-schoolers. That party was over.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 14th July 2024 at 18:05.
ringoism is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 08:26   #3380
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
It cruised at 100 kmph whenever needed. It picks up speed decently till 90 kmph, post that it takes 3 business day for the car to respond to throttle input . I have been driving turbo petrols till now, but had my expectations aligned so no disappointment as far as power delivery is concerned. For cross country trips with good roads, Slavia will continue to be our choice.
I test drove the Alpha AT and I felt the car was very labored till even small speeds of 60kmph. In the city, I could hear the engine strain. Is that how it is or was my test drive car really screwed up? I am trying to source another AT test drive from another dealer but until then I thought I would pick your brains on this.

My comparison is Grand i10 with 1.2L Kappa 82BHP and 4 speed auto. We have had that car for 8 years. Also, I drive the Nano Twist MT. The Jimny AT acceleration felt as labored as the Nano whereas I was expecting it to be as smooth as the Grand i10 4 speed AT. Obviously, I was not expecting turbo petrol type performance but this was too dismal. I have 90% rejected the car because of this reason. My primary use is in the city and maybe 250km round trip once in six months. No 4X4 usage at all. Maybe 1 trip in 3 years that too only because I will own the Jimny.
Old 15th July 2024, 11:40   #3381
BHPian

So I finally booked Jimny Alpha AT. Total landed cost is 13.9 lakhs plus 10K accessories.

Insurance for me is included however I still feel its on higher side as quote was approx 51K including RTI and other other options.

I am awaiting updates on finance approval and will then take a call whether to proceed. However is the above insurance quote OK with all inclusions? Online I am getting quotes up to 40K for the same.

Also any suggestions on accessories to choose with Jimny?
shashankrt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 13:05   #3382
Team-BHP Support

IO Pedal Tuning

Had an opportunity to play around with a Throttle Control unit on a Jimny this weekend, and I should say I came back very impressed. All it takes is 2 minutes to install and another minute to calibrate the unit. This was an imported unit someone carried just to try out.

Product is from here

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7436.jpg

Has some cool features including locking, valet, fine controls within each of the pedal modes etc. Has a cheaper model which does not have the hardware remote, but instead using phone app based controls.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7437.jpg

Sport model makes a huge difference as to how the engine responds to pedal and extreme is hooligan types. You don't need to even drive to feel it, just use your accelerate with light pressure from your leg on each of the modes and you can see how the response changes.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7435.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2024 at 09:35. Reason: Fixing small typo :)
Jaggu is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 14:23   #3383
BHPian

I drive a Zeta with 215 75 R15 Contis. While searching for alloy wheels it appears that options are few and those available are in 8j. Is it advisable to run a 215 tyre on a 8j rim?
Old 15th July 2024, 16:11   #3384
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: IO Pedal Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Had an opportunity to play around with a Throttle Control unit on a Jimny this weekend, and I should say I came back very impressed. ..
One Question: Doesnt the difference these throttle controllers bring are only below WOT (Wide Open Throttle, Full Acc Pedal) and not really with respect to fuelling right? i.e., if you do an immediate Pedal to Metal with one of these and without one of these, both should be same, right?
Old 16th July 2024, 09:54   #3385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
if you do an immediate Pedal to Metal with one of these and without one of these, both should be same, right?
Fact is pedal to metal never gives that kind of pick up, same when using cruise control to accelerate in cars and bikes. My observation.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 11:35   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
So I finally booked Jimny Alpha AT. Total landed cost is 13.9 lakhs plus 10K accessories.

Insurance for me is included however I still feel its on higher side as quote was approx 51K including RTI and other other options.

I am awaiting updates on finance approval and will then take a call whether to proceed. However is the above insurance quote OK with all inclusions? Online I am getting quotes up to 40K for the same.

Also any suggestions on accessories to choose with Jimny?
I’d say a 13.9 for the Alpha AT is a steal! Which city is this? The insurance quote thought marginally higher by 15-18K is something I wouldn’t be bothered by at this price
Old 17th July 2024, 12:46   #3387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
I’d say a 13.9 for the Alpha AT is a steal! Which city is this? The insurance quote thought marginally higher by 15-18K is something I wouldn’t be bothered by at this price
City is Mumbai. The only reason why I am in doubt is question if there is a facelift on the cards? Also electric Jimny will be launched in Europe.

Anyways this will be probably my last ICE car. in next 3-4 years my harrier will be up for upgrade and will probably be replaced by a long range EV (hopefully SUV if available)
shashankrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 12:51   #3388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
One Question: Doesnt the difference these throttle controllers bring are only below WOT (Wide Open Throttle, Full Acc Pedal) and not really with respect to fuelling right? i.e., if you do an immediate Pedal to Metal with one of these and without one of these, both should be same, right?
Theoretically yes. But in real life, a big no. Pedal/Throttle Tuners/Commanders have to be experienced to believe it. I've had it on my DMax for years and it simply transforms the way the vehicle behaves. Give it a try.
Tassem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 21:03   #3389
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny Turned into a camper with new Pop-Up Roof.

Quote:
The new add-on by White House Camper makes it possible for two adults to sleep in the tiny off-roader
The five-door version of the Suzuki Jimny served as a base for an interesting camper project.
The pop-up roof by the Japanese company White House Camper can sleep two adults.
A working prototype will debut at the Tokyo Camper Show on July 20.
This is believed to be the first Suzuki Jimny with an integrated pop-up roof mechanism, making it one of the highlights of the show.

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20240717-210149.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20240717-205931.png

The company has yet to decide whether it will offer the pop-up roof option in Japan.
However, the fact they built a working prototype makes us believe that the conversion could be offered in markets where the five-door Jimny is being sold – like India, or Australia.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th July 2024 at 21:05.
Old 18th July 2024, 13:54   #3390
TSS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
I've got similar calls from 3 places.
I took delivery of my Jimny 10 days back.
Have received 2 calls / WA messages. Seems they are getting data from insurance / Nexa dealers:

(1)
Hi, sir
Lifetime Membership Plan is 4999/
Now Discounted offer available on 2500/-
Number of Services
Unlimited
SERVICE FEATURES
24x7 Roadside Assistance
On The Spot Punctured Tyre Replacement with Stepney
On The Spot Repair Service for Minor Faults
Jumpstart In Case of Weak/Dead Battery
On-Road Key Lockout Assistance
Tele Assistance for Minor Repairs
Emergency Message Relay
City Route & Map Guidance over Phone
Doorstep Vehicle Insurance Renewal Service
Battery, Coolant & Spare Parts at Discounted Price
Service Delivery within 29 Minutes After Receiving call
Complimentary Service Beyond 29 Minutes
Highway Services in ALL INDIA
In case car is not repair on road company will not taking any kind of charge for (VEHICLE TO VEHICLE) towing by the customer
Arrangement of Flatbed Trucks & Winching Service
Punctured Tyre Repair in Case of Two Flat Tyres
Free of cost
Fuel (Petrol/Diesel Only) upto 5 ltrs In Case of Running Dry
As Per Actuals
Our Roadside Assistance Network Covers
Delhi NCR + Pan India
Payment 2500 lifetime
Thank You
Team Cross India

(2)
*Mr./Mrs*
Today Luxury Country holiday Invites both of you to collect your 3 gifts Vouchers..
*1st gift -2N & 3D holidays stay voucher..*
*2nd gift-PVR movie tickets*
*3rd gift :- MEADOWS SCRACH SALON VOUCHER*
*COMPLIMENTARY bikanerwala food voucher*
*There is no terms and conditions to used and collect your gifts vouchers its totally free of cost*
*U have to just spend 30 mints. About your vouchers details*
Address. *Udman Panchshila by Ferns N Petals*
N 82, Panchshila Park, Block N, Panchsheel Park North, Panchsheel Park, New Delhi, Delhi 110017
*Regards*
MANAGER
TSS is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks