Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2024, 10:20   #3196
sat
BHPian

Which grade engine oil for Jimny in 44C temperature

Jimny Alpha MT has clocked 3000 km, engine has been carefully ‘run-in’.

Current ambient temperatures are around 44C in Rajasthan, expected to rise to 48C next week.

Engine oil is stock factory Ecstar 0W-16 fully synthetic, SN grade. Changed once at 2000 km. Is it advisable to change to say 5W-30 SP grade or 0w-40?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-5dda09965323498aa210d5fee4dcb88b.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 18th May 2024 at 18:03. Reason: As requested
sat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 10:25   #3197

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

What do you guys think of the Jimny's safety, I love everything about the Jimny but I am seriously concerned about it's safety. Gurkha on the other hand seems like a good option. Maybe even the Thar is a better option.

Mod Note : Please go through Team-BHP's posting etiquette.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th May 2024 at 10:37. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 18th May 2024, 23:32   #3198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
On the off chance, did they offer any advice on how you should modify the Jimny to 'butchify' it? . Some of them are really very sincere about it!
lol no thankfully none of them tried to offer their "gyaan" on those topics. They were mostly amazed to see a solo driven Jimny from Delhi roaming the mountains. With no requirements of lift kits, 30 inch tyres or winches and other fluff that is peddled by Youtubers like DCV Expeditions and the rest of that ilk.
Ksingh544 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 10:28   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I have a question for owners of the manual transmission variants of the Jimny.

When I drive my Jimny Zeta MT in 4th and 5th gears and accelerate, I hear a faint rattling noise as if something underneath is loose or perhaps like a broken bearing.
I tried this out in a few situations, but I was unable to catch any sound, though I was actively looking to find it.
Also got a few passengers to tell me what sounds they hear (without context) - they didn't pick this up either.
Old 19th May 2024, 15:02   #3200
BHPian

hi, can someone help me identify where the engine temperature gauge is on the Jimny instrument cluster.
It seems like a very obvious thing, but i am not being able to locate it.
Thanks.
Old 19th May 2024, 19:12   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi, can someone help me identify where the engine temperature gauge is on the Jimny instrument cluster.
Thanks.
There is no engine temperature gauge in the jimny. It's just the coolant temperature light that you see in blue during cold start. It will keep blinking if overheating occurs.
Way2Jimny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 11:34   #3202
TSS
BHPian

I might be digressing from the core subject of this thread, " Maruti Jimny Review". However, I am still posting my query on this thread because this is where all Jimny owners are.

I am a Newbie on Team-BHP, having joined recently just to gather all required information on the Jimny, and am now almost on the verge of booking mine.

Having read all the positives and negatives of the Jimny (have diligently read the entire thread "Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment - sales tanking", I am getting a few jitters, though I would say very logical points raised in the thread), I am willing to overlook several shortcomings such as the pricing, 4-seater, plain vanilla interiors, poor FE, etc.

I have been driving a WagonR since several years. Have driven very few other high powered vehicles, or vehicles with diesel engines. My driving style is not at all aggressive. A lot has been said about the Jimny being "under-powered" and requires a lot of planning while over-taking on highways. I would confine myself to ask just one simple question to all the experienced Jimny owners who have by now clocked several thousand kilometers on the Jimny.

"Would a WagonR driving person feel the lack of power in a Jimny".
Most of my driving would be in the city but occasional highway stretches and hill drives cannot be ruled out. I am not planning any major mods, tyre upgrades, and driving would mostly be 2 people and a small dog.

Please dont ask me why I want to go for the Jimny when off-roading is not my thing. Well, despite the several identified shortcomings, me and my wife are just infatuated with it.
TSS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 12:03   #3203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSS View Post
I have been driving a WagonR since several years. Have driven very few other high powered vehicles, or vehicles with diesel engines. My driving style is not at all aggressive. A lot has been said about the Jimny being "under-powered" and requires a lot of planning while over-taking on highways. I would confine myself to ask just one simple question to all the experienced Jimny owners who have by now clocked several thousand kilometers on the Jimny...."Would a WagonR driving person feel the lack of power in a Jimny".
Most of my driving would be in the city but occasional highway stretches and hill drives cannot be ruled out. I am not planning any major mods, tyre upgrades, and driving would mostly be 2 people and a small dog.
Depends on the engine of your WagonR. if it is the 1.2l K12 or even the old F10D 1.1l, you may feel the lack of power during city drives. But if it is the K10 1.0l engine, then you will definitely feel the Jimny to be an upgrade. Most of the people disappointed with the Jimny performance have been too used to turbo diesels. And if it is the Jimny AT, many would definitely be disappointed. But the lack of performance is mostly for highway runs. In the city, it is definitely adequate.

Best way to know is just call for a TD from the nearest showroom. The Jimny is definitely not dangerously slow, but won't thrill you either, that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Jimny View Post
There is no engine temperature gauge in the jimny. It's just the coolant temperature light that you see in blue during cold start. It will keep blinking if overheating occurs.
A big bummer, considering how something like the Swift gets a temperature gauge, while something analogue and old school and most likely to get into extreme situations like the Jimny doesn't get any.

Last edited by DicKy : 20th May 2024 at 12:06.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 13:12   #3204
BHPian

Quote:
Please dont ask me why I want to go for the Jimny when off-roading is not my thing. Well, despite the several identified shortcomings, me and my wife are just infatuated with it.
I understand from your location information that you are from New Delhi, and you are not into off-roading.

Do you really need an AWD at a cheaper price as your minimum requirement? Ask yourself. If the answer is yes, then go for Jimny. If answer is No, don't buy it. Jimny is cumbersome for congested urban areas.

You have better cars with good suspension within this price which can tackle the bad roads of Gurgaon, Faridabad and surroundings.

The lack of space, features and power kills the charm of long drives with your partner.

Jimny is not trouble free. And MSIL service, spare availability and complaint resolution are pathetic nowadays.

Alternatively, wait for Renault Duster AWD. Save some money by that time to match the budget.

Last edited by RijuC : 20th May 2024 at 13:15.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 13:51   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Jimny View Post
Thank you for clarifying this, i am so surprised that an off roader like the Jimny doesnt have a regular gauge.

Quote:
Having read all the positives and negatives of the Jimny (have diligently read the entire thread "Maruti Jimny’s S-Cross moment - sales tanking", I am getting a few jitters, though I would say very logical points raised in the thread), I am willing to overlook several shortcomings such as the pricing, 4-seater, plain vanilla interiors, poor FE, etc.
hi, i have driven my Jimny Manual Zeta now for 7500 kms in 4 months.
This includes the following type of drives -
  • It is my daily driver in Delhi NCR, i drive anywhere between 25-50 kms per day in regular Delhi traffic, potholes, tight parking spaces.
  • The Jimny is more than adequate, parking is a breeze. The steering is a bit heavy but its not a deal breaker at all. I anyway feel as a society we are going too soft with comforts. So this doesnt bother me at all.
  • New Delhi - Jammu- New Delhi & New Delhi - Dehradun - New Delhi. A 2000 km round trip done mostly in the plains and low hills.
  • The Jimny is nicely planted on the highway, I have upped my tyres to 235 Yokos and cruise between 80-110 kmph when on the highways
  • Would i like another 15-25 bhp of grunt more, yes for sure. But do i feel worried, or have to plan overtakes with a pen and paper, NO !
  • I am getting a mileage of between 14-16 kmpl and thats adequate for me.
  • New Delhi - Zanskar - New Delhi.
  • The Jimny handled all types of terrain with ease (slush, snow, rain, avalanche crossing) and the suspension is a beauty.
  • Again would i have liked a little more power in the hills, Yes. Did it ruin my drive, nope not at all. It just takes a little more frequent downshifting.
  • There is ample space inside the vehicle, you wont get wirless car chargers like what a Kia will give you but you will get driving pleasure.

I urge you to test drive the manual variant and then make your decision.
If you would like a Test drive at TR Sahney in Safdarjung Delhi, I can connect you with the Sales Advisor there. He was very helpful during my purchase process.
I am in no way commericially associated with the dealership or Maruti.
But please dont blindly follow the Youtube vitriol and get "jitters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
This post has prompted me to pen down a long reply which was circling in my head for a few years. (Mods please move to a new thread if deemed suitable)
Fantastic reply and so well crafted. I have had similar thoughts going on in m head for a long time. Will reply with a detailed post on this. Thank you.
Ksingh544 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:50   #3206
TSS
BHPian

Quote:
I urge you to test drive the manual variant and then make your decision.
If you would like a Test drive at TR Sahney in Safdarjung Delhi, I can connect you with the Sales Advisor there.
Thanks. I have already taken a TD (coincidentally, from the same dealer). I tried aggressive acceleration on a short empty stretch. Apparently it seemed ok. However, the high-way style overtaking scenario could not be tested on Delhi roads.

Anyway, thanks for you assurance.

Quote:
You have better cars with good suspension within this price which can tackle the bad roads of Gurgaon, Faridabad and surroundings.

Alternatively, wait for Renault Duster AWD. Save some money by that time to match the budget.
I agree, there are several very good cars at attractive price points. However, for me very few fit in my parking space.

I am stuck with a Wagon R since several years. My parking space is very typical. The Wagon R protrudes about 2 feet on the road. I need a small length car. Jimny is 3985mm including the rear mounted spare wheel. Look at the picture below. The spare wheel would protrude beyond the tree, so the effective length is almost equivalent to a Wagon R. Opting for a 3995mm car is out of question.

Coming to the width. There is only about 2 feet passage (yellow arrow) after parking the car. The path you see on the rear of the car leads to the stairs for 6 apartments. A wider car blocks even more of the passage.

I have tried parking various cars. Small cars like Alto, Wagon R, Ignis, Tiago, Nios, etc, fit well. And then there is the Jimny. So my options are limited.

These are the circumstances (limited parking space) under which I am considering the Jimny.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20240520_135144-ed.jpg  

Attached Images

TSS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 19:08   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
I would confine myself to ask just one simple question to all the experienced Jimny owners who have by now clocked several thousand kilometers on the Jimny.

If power is your only concern, just go for it.
It is definitely not so bad as it is made it out in the other thread. It has adequate power. I have climbed the Munnar hills and never once I felt the need for more power.
The NA engine pulls beautifully. In the turbo you will be bogged down by the lag. Even at city speeds, the NA engine is effortless.
The high powered turbo engines are a pain in such scenarios.

The lack of power will be felt only on empty stretches of highways if you are planning to do illegal speeds.

Last edited by Way2Jimny : 20th May 2024 at 19:10.
Way2Jimny is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 22:14   #3208

Quote:
I might be digressing from the core subject of this thread, " Maruti Jimny Review". However, I am still posting my query on this thread because this is where all Jimny owners are.

I am a Newbie on Team-BHP, having joined recently just to gather all required information on the Jimny, and am now almost on the verge of booking mine.

I have been driving a WagonR since several years. Have driven very few other high powered vehicles, or vehicles with diesel engines. My driving style is not at all aggressive. A lot has been said about the Jimny being "under-powered" and requires a lot of planning while over-taking on highways. I would confine myself to ask just one simple question to all the experienced Jimny owners who have by now clocked several thousand kilometers on the Jimny.

I've been driving my stock Jimny Zeta MT for over 2 months now and being a sedate driver haven't felt any issues with the power it offers. It has been adequate on the highways as well as the hills, though there is a learning curve to it. The creature comforts it lacks do you bug you sometimes but having watched a zillion videos of Jimny from all over the world, it feels like buying a Jimny is more like taking up a project to make the car your own. You can add so many different accessories slowly wherever you feel something is missing. The narrow dimensions of the car proved to be a boon in city traffic and tight lanes however the turning circle will have you making one or two more maneuvers in various situations. The ride quality with the stock tyres and suspension makes you fall in love with the car every time you drive it. Finally, it is best to be aware of both the strengths and weaknesses of this wonderful little beast and bite the bullet if your gut says so.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-rum09821-copy.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-rum09807-copy.jpg  

Windingroads2 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 23:08   #3209
BHPian

i have another query, the outisde temperature that shows on the console is that from a sensor on the vehicle or is it pulling it from a data source like Accuweather or Weather.com.
Thank you.
Ksingh544 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 00:43   #3210
sat
BHPian

Maruti Jimny - Leg room

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemandriver View Post
How tall are you guys? Can a 6' 1" person fit comfortably in a Jimny with good leg space?
I am 6' 5" (196 cm) and am very comfortable driving a Jimny Alpha MT. After a 4 hour drive, I do stretch my legs.

Still drive a 1986 Gypsy.
sat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks