Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2024, 18:25   #3181
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

This past weekend - from 10th May to 13th May, I made an impromptu trip up to Lahaul Valley from Delhi.

On Friday, May 10th, I was in Chandigarh for a work meeting and decided to head up to the mountains. I booked an Airbnb ahead of Kullu and stayed there for Saturday and Sunday nights. Saturday morning at 7 a.m., I left for Sissu village and had no real plan other than to keep going as far as the road would allow. I was driving alone, so I wanted to be a little careful, with the weather looking like it could turn anytime. There were multiple snow warnings on my phone as I approached Keylong.

From Keylong to Jispa, there was heavy rain, and the locals at Jispa told me there was a good chance of snow ahead of Darcha at Deepak Tal or Zing Zing Bar.
I am so glad I listened to them and continued on to Deepak Tal and a bit beyond, where the road was shut by BRO due to heavy snowfall. I encountered fresh snowfall and the most incredible landscape and topography that I have ever seen in India.

The best part was that most of the tourist traffic was turning towards Koksar from Atal tunnel. At Deepak Tal there were 2 Tempo Travlers full of noisy tourists from Delhi. But other than that it was quite empty. A couple of Thar boys flagged me down, surprised to see a Jimny with a solo driver all the way from Delhi. Ended up chatting with them exchanging notes and some photos they wanted to take with the Jimny.

A local Manali taxi driver had bought a new Jimny (the white one in the photos). We ended up chatting, too, and drove back together for a bit in a convoy until Jispa.
Fun Fact - Between Mandi and Darcha i counted 25 Jimnys, mostly brand new. The market knows what it wants !!

Here are some photos to give you a peek at the preview of the drive. It was a 1500 km round trip done in 2.5 days. I am so impressed by the Jimny; its suspension and engineering are next-level.

My only complaint (if I really had to scratch it) is that it could use a little more power. There is a remap on the cards, for sure.

Route Map -
Friday - New Delhi to Chandigarh
Saturday - Chandigarh to Seobagh (ahead of Kullu)
Sunday - Seobagh-Solang- Atal Tunnel - Sissu - Keylong - Jispa - Darcha - Deepak Tal - Zing Zing bar and back same route to Seobagh
Monday - Seobagh to Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-lahaul-may-24.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-lahaul-may-24_1.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-lahaul-may-24_3.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-lahaul-may-23.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-lahaul-may-24_2.jpg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th May 2024 at 19:30. Reason: Spell, grammar. Please proofread before posting.
Ksingh544 is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 07:40   #3182
Team-BHP Support

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5754192 (BHPian-owned cars for Sale | Pics & details)

I am updating the thread with sales of Jimny to a fellow enthusiast, Vivek.

He is part of a regular 4x4 group that our fellow member Anshuman manages. I guess the first thing he will do is a suspension change

I am glad it will be used for the purposes it was built for. I wish the new owner good luck with his purchase.

Though his daily drive is Defender 110, a toy like Jimny can bring a smile to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20240515-07.34.30.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th May 2024 at 07:43.
Turbanator is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 18:16   #3183
Senior - BHPian

Go anywhere. Fit anywhere.
Never a problem to park anywhere.

Maruti Jimny Review-pxl_20240515_052325552.jpg

A very tight spot in the office premises where my colleagues would not squeeze their cars in.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 10:55   #3184
BHPian

I agree on the ease of parking. Tight space, heap of gravel or a block of concrete - absolutely no worries.

Very happy with the Jimmy choice for the better half!
dingolphie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 11:49   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Go anywhere. Fit anywhere.
Never a problem to park anywhere.
Haa, that brings a smile to the face! Wish the turning radius was also a little smaller.
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 11:49   #3186
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

[quote=Ksingh544;5769877]This past weekend - from 10th May to 13th May, I made an impromptu trip up to Lahaul Valley from Delhi.

I did the same stretch last year (first week of June) in good old Brezza.
I have one question, how frequently you were required to engage 4X4?
Just give me total KMs travelled VS total KMs in 4X4 mode, if possible.
Even a ball park figure will do.
Old 16th May 2024, 12:14   #3187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I have a question for owners of the manual transmission variants of the Jimny.

When I drive my Jimny Zeta MT in 4th and 5th gears and accelerate, I hear a faint rattling noise as if something underneath is loose or perhaps like a broken bearing. It's continuously audible for as long as I press the accelerator and I don't lug the engine.
Has anyone else experienced this noise?
Hi i have a Zeta Manual, January 2024 purchased model, just clocked over 7200 kms.
I havent faced this issue that you have listed. Sometimes in first gear when picking up speed, there is a slight noise from the shaft below as it rotates. But other than that its fine.
The two recurring issues i face are, Android Auto needs to be unpaired and reconnected atleast once a week and the start stop functionality can stall the car at low speed or at standstill. I anyway keep it turned off as it hampers with my driving style.

[quote=Rohitthebest;5770837]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
This past weekend - from 10th May to 13th May, I made an impromptu trip up to Lahaul Valley from Delhi.

I did the same stretch last year (first week of June) in good old Brezza.
I have one question, how frequently you were required to engage 4X4?
Just give me total KMs travelled VS total KMs in 4X4 mode, if possible.
Even a ball park figure will do.
Hi Rohit it was a 1500 kilometer round trip in which i engaged 4x4 ZERO times. It was just not needed, even while it was snowing above Darcha.
Near Sissu there was a landslide, which had a lot of wet, thick mud and slush. I thought i may need 4x4, but the Jimny got through with no issues.
I am sure after Baralacha pass there could be places where its needed but its for specfic use case scenarios.
I am digressing slightly from your question, but there is this hype built across Youtube and Instagram by influencers (hate that term) like DCV expeditions etc about how 4x4 is needed always, they trash vehicles like the Jimny with an agenda. While promoting the ones that pay them on the side.
BRO has made such amazing roads through Ladakh, Zanskar and Himachal that most cars can get through with ease. There is a reason the Alto is called the "King" in the mountains. It goes anywhere and everywhere.
Having a 4x4 is like having a trump card in the back pocket, the day you really need it, then it comes handy.
Like you said you did this circuit in your Brezza and im sure didnt face any issues.
Previous to the Jimny i had the Thar CRDE 2015, and clocked over 1L kms in that all over India. The low end torque in that with amazing articulation would do the job in the 95% of the use case scenarios.

Hope this helped.
Ksingh544 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 12:40   #3188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Though his daily drive is Defender 110, a toy like Jimny can bring a smile to anyone.
Jimny might look like a toy but it is mighty capable, and in many instances can easily outclass the Defender as-well. So calling it a toy might not be appropriate, I have a lot of respect for this car.

Here are some great youtube videos which demonstrate the fact.
quickdraw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 12:46   #3189
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Super thanks for the quick and clear response. Your response has tilted me towards Martuti Jimny quite a bit.
Although I am in no hurry for my next buy which has to be a 4X4.
Eagerly waiting for New Thar with ADAS hopefully, rest all features I can live with in the old Thar.
And the all new Duster which I believe should be launched by this year end if not early.
Post that I will take the final call as Jimny is big time in contention for its size (I myself am 5' hardly 3") it will match my built as well and is a terrific city drive as I have taken a few test drives in city.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

PS: Between Sarchu and Manali I actually got stuck at Paagal Naala crossing and one more spot big time in Brezza where I regretted bringing it to those passes for its Diesel engine and Autobox which kept on slipping to second gear, I had to drive it on manual mode on first to cross most of those points and it kept bringing my heart to my mouth especially the way it kept sliding here, there and everywhere being a FWD car on snow, slush and water crossings.

Last edited by Rohitthebest : 16th May 2024 at 12:49. Reason: Missed adding one important line.
Rohitthebest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 14:37   #3190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitthebest View Post
Super thanks for the quick and clear response. Your response has tilted me towards Martuti Jimny quite a bit.
Although I am in no hurry for my next buy which has to be a 4X4.
Eagerly waiting for New Thar with ADAS hopefully, rest all features I can live with in the old Thar.
And the all new Duster which I believe should be launched by this year end if not early.
Post that I will take the final call as Jimny is big time in contention for its size (I myself am 5' hardly 3") it will match my built as well and is a terrific city drive as I have taken a few test drives in city.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

PS: Between Sarchu and Manali I actually got stuck at Paagal Naala crossing and one more spot big time in Brezza where I regretted bringing it to those passes for its Diesel engine and Autobox which kept on slipping to second gear, I had to drive it on manual mode on first to cross most of those points and it kept bringing my heart to my mouth especially the way it kept sliding here, there and everywhere being a FWD car on snow, slush and water crossings.
You are welcome. Honestly ADAS is a waste of time & money in indian conditions. Its not capable to handle the chaos that our indian roads have. I have tried it out on the XUV700 and its a first world luxury.

Example -
1. https://www.team-bhp.com/news/adas-c...my-2022-tucson

The situation you described is exactly why i only drive Manuals, i like having the control in the drivers hand.

Good luck with your 4x4 hunt, I would suggest checking out a good used Petrol Thar HT MT 4x4 or the new 140 BHP Force Gurkha 3 door.
Ksingh544 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 15:54   #3191

How tall are you guys? Can a 6' 1" person fit comfortably in a Jimny with good leg space?
gentlemandriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 16:53   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemandriver View Post
How tall are you guys? Can a 6' 1" person fit comfortably in a Jimny with good leg space?
I'm 6 ft tall, while I have plenty of headroom, leg space is adequate at best with low thigh support since the seat isn't height adjustable. That being said, I've done day long drives quite comfortably.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 17:51   #3193
BHPian

Quote:
I'm exactly 6 feet tall (183 cms) and there is ample head room above me.
While driving both legs are comfortable, though there is no dead pedal; there is room on the left of the clutch to place your foot comfortably. And enough space to lift the foot, bring it to the clutch and back into the empty space.

With the drivers seat pushed all the way back for my height, a 5'10 person can sit comfortably behind me with their knees not touching the drivers seat.

The Jimny is larger on the inside than the perception of its external shape.

On a trip to Dehradun in February, I had an American gentleman in the front passenger seat. He was taller and wider than me, close to 95 kgs. Our arms didnt touch on the arm rest in the middle of the front seats.

Hope this gives an idea of the internal dimensions.

Last edited by Ksingh544 : 16th May 2024 at 17:52. Reason: typo
Ksingh544 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 23:45   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
I know one gentleman from Kolkata who is 6 feet 5 inches tall and drives his Jimny MT everyday. He already made trips to challenging routes of Nepal and few more in North Bengal. Recently he drove Jimny for almost 19 hours during one return journey.

I met another experienced rally enthusiast in Kasol. He was taller than me (perhaps 6'3"). And he already drove approx 20k km in his Jimny MT.

I am 6' and Jimny AT is my only car (9400 km on ODO). My maximum stretch was for approx 890 km (Pahalgam to Gurgaon), total driving time was 16.5 hours, journey time= 19 hours.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 18:02   #3195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
A couple of Thar boys flagged me down, surprised to see a Jimny with a solo driver all the way from Delhi. Ended up chatting with them exchanging notes and some photos they wanted to take with the Jimny.
On the off chance, did they offer any advice on how you should modify the Jimny to 'butchify' it? . Some of them are really very sincere about it!
Lone Ranger is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks