Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2024, 12:17   #3151
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv_moto-Life View Post
Is this stall incident occurring with clutch fully released and without throttle inputs ?
Yes. That’s correct.
And this happens only when 4wd is engaged. 2wd is smooth (feels like there is ample torque reserve too)

If this is because of the lower cubic capacity engine, I’m surprised at the amount of power the front differential saps.
Easy way for this to be tested would be to conduct efficiency runs on 2wd vs 4wd.

Now to find a sand track. All in the name of science
blueberry is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 12:28   #3152

Hi, it Would not be wise to run 4WD Hi on firm ground/tarmac as the Jimny is a part-time 4 wheel drive (Meaning does not have a central differential, to prevent differential wind up...and will cause mechanical damage if run for extended time in 4WD mode on firm ground/tarmac).

The nature of the 1.3L Previous Gen Gypsy engine & 1.5L Current Gen Jimny engine is that the revs have to be kept high to execute maneuvers which could be done on near idle rpm on either a Mid capacity Torquey Diesel Mill (<2.5L) or a Large Cubic capacity Petrol engine (>4L).

You just have to get used to the nature of the Engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
Yes. That’s correct.
And this happens only when 4wd is engaged. 2wd is smooth (feels like there is ample torque reserve too)

If this is because of the lower cubic capacity engine, I’m surprised at the amount of power the front differential saps.
Easy way for this to be tested would be to conduct efficiency runs on 2wd vs 4wd.

Now to find a sand track. All in the name of science

Last edited by Adv_moto-Life : 25th April 2024 at 12:52.
Adv_moto-Life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 12:51   #3153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
I'm facing a curious issue in my Jimny MT. Looking for the collective advice of the forum.

In 4wd mode, at full steering lock (the last 90' of steering angle) - engine stalls if the engine speed is less than 1250 RPM. This happens in both High and Low range. Its also independant on whether I'm on an incline or on flat terrain.
Not sure why this would be.

If I keep the engine speed above 1250 RPM at full steering lock, the car moves smoothly. No jerks, shuddering or any jumpy movement.
Why are you keeping the steering wheel at full lock (unless there is a situation where you have to steer and revert to straight wheels). Ideally, 4L should have a bit of higher RPM than 4H. Whatever 4WD SUV's I have driven (haven't experienced the Jimny) they all resist full wheel lock in either 4WD modes.

Secondly, if there is no wheel slippage, please do not engage 4WD modes.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 21:37   #3154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Ideally, 4L should have a bit of higher RPM than 4H. Whatever 4WD SUV's I have driven (haven't experienced the Jimny) they all resist full wheel lock in either 4WD modes.
Thank you. This is reassuring to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv_moto-Life View Post
Hi, it Would not be wise to run 4WD Hi on firm ground/tarmac as the Jimny is a part-time 4 wheel drive (Meaning does not have a central differential, to prevent differential wind up...and will cause mechanical damage if run for extended time in 4WD mode on firm ground/tarmac).
Would you suggest a better SOP being: Get stuck in 2wd (use case is leisure, with a recovery vehicle around), then switch to 4wd - to protect the drivetrain from wind-up.
Old 26th April 2024, 17:33   #3155
BHPian

Saw this Jimny modified with Brabus kit, it looked neat, the interior was finished in bright orange leather upholstery.

Isn’t the front emblem rotated a bit

@ Mods - please relocate if this doesn’t fit in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_7678.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7677.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7676.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 26th April 2024 at 17:35.
NomadSK is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 15:05   #3156

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Saw this Jimny modified with Brabus kit, it looked neat, the interior was finished in bright orange leather upholstery.

Isn’t the front emblem rotated a bit

@ Mods - please relocate if this doesn’t fit in here.
This is one neatly done mod, Where did you spot this because afaik the jimny two door isn't sold in India
fearswag16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 12:00   #3157
BHPian

Hi,

Sharing some pictures and thoughts from my recent 700 km drive from Delhi NCR to Jammu.

Thoughts -

- I have a Zeta Manual Grey Jimny. Tyres upgraded to Yokohama 235/70/15s, front grill to matte black and Suzuki logo. Rest of the vehicle is stock.
- Vehicle bought on January 13th 2024, during the discount period.
- The Jimny is about to complete 5000 kms (4980 on odo) and as yet hasnt had its first service where the oil and filters are to be changed.
- Vehicle is performing quite well, i had a very comfortable drive. Almot no fatigue after a 12 hour journey. I break journey every 3 hours for a coffee, water, loo or stretching break.
- The main highway from Ambala to Rajpura is blocked by farmers again, so had to detour via a few pinds (village) and fields, including a section where the bridge is being built. I felt very sorry for the sedans rattling along as i glided over all this.
- The Suspension is the champion feature of the Jimny, it tackles every India road condition with such ease. I am coming from a Thar 2015 CRDE and have extensively used the Thar 2020 also. The Jimny is a class apart.
- The stretch from Pathankot to Jammu City is like a war zone, they have torn up the entire highway to build flyovers and made the worst planned diversions. I was doing this run close to midnight and had to be very alert for the sudden turn offs and on coming traffic. Again the suspension and handling of the Jimny tackled this very well.
- The headlights are very poor and i am going in for an immediate upgrade, supplemented with fog lapmps
- On the highway i got a mileage of 14 kmpl and in the city its between 10-12 kmpl depending on drivings style
- I would have prefered if the Jimny had a few BHP of grunt more, but its not a deal breaker for me at all. As soon as 1800 rmp is crossed, the Jimny can keep cruising all day long. 1800 to 3500 rmp is my sweet spot, using 2nd to 5th gears.
- One has to be a mindful in extracting the full power in each rev band and as i said if you are mindful it is a very nice & easy drive. i like to top out between 100-110 kmph at about 3200 rpm.
- A detailed ownership review is in the works, in the interim please enjoy a few shots.

Cheers
Kundan
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny5.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny1.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny2.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny3.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny4.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2024 at 22:28. Reason: Social media handle deleted
Ksingh544 is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 12:57   #3158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi,

Sharing some pictures and thoughts from my recent 700 km drive from Delhi NCR to Jammu.

Thoughts -

- I have a Zeta Manual Grey Jimny. Tyres upgraded to Yokohama 235/70/15s, front grill to matte black and Suzuki logo. Rest of the vehicle is stocck
Please check the tyre size. Actually 70 profile yokohama geolander is not available as per my knowledge. Either it is 215/75/15 or 235/75/15.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th April 2024 at 02:20. Reason: Quote tags.
Old 28th April 2024, 13:03   #3159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi,

- A detailed ownership review is in the works, in the interim please enjoy a few shots. More can be found on my instagram handle which is - @jeep.camera.action

Cheers
Kundan
Thank you for the write-up.

What were the average speeds you had on the highway? Only asking as I’ve read the Jimny is not really stable at high speeds(?) And how are the brakes?

But completely agree on the ride quality, did a short TD and literally couldn’t feel the road imperfections and craters at all. Glad to read that was not a one-off impression of mine!

Lovely pictures on your Insta. Now awaiting your detailed ownership report eagerly!
Old 28th April 2024, 13:38   #3160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
Please check the tyre size. Actually 70 profile yokohama geolander is not available as per my knowledge. Either it is 215/75/15 or 235/75/15.
Thank you, that was a typo on my part. They are the Yoko 235/75/15s without the white lettering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
Thank you for the write-up.

What were the average speeds you had on the highway? Only asking as I’ve read the Jimny is not really stable at high speeds(?) And how are the brakes?

But completely agree on the ride quality, did a short TD and literally couldn’t feel the road imperfections and craters at all. Glad to read that was not a one-off impression of mine!

Lovely pictures on your Insta. Now awaiting your detailed ownership report eagerly!
Thank you for the kind words regarding the photos, please do follow there.

The Jimny on the highway performs the best between 80-110 kmph. With its size and boxy aerodynamics, I will not want recommend going faster than that.

At these speeds the Jimny feels planted and secure on the road. no issues with stability so far
On open expressways with high crosswinds sometimes you can feel the vehicle having harder time. Other than that its fine.
I have now done about 2000 kms of the 5000 kms driven on highways and find it to be fine.

The rear stays intact while taking on bad roads at a higher speed.
I find the brakes to be fine,there was no heart attack moments like in my old Thar. Also no pumping of brakes needed.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th April 2024 at 02:21. Reason: Quote tags.
Ksingh544 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 15:48   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
[b]After the 2nd service @5000 there is a sound coming from the car.
Call me a cynic but it sounds like (excuse the pun) that "they" started/caused it. Taking vehicles to dealerships to be serviced by underpaid and untrained kids is the worst part of the vehicle ownership experience in India. Am sorry am not being very helpful here but your well written post is an absolute qualifier for an old radio talk show that I used to love.
Old 28th April 2024, 17:51   #3162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearswag16 View Post
This is one neatly done mod, Where did you spot this because afaik the jimny two door isn't sold in India
Yeh, it’s not in India, spotted it in Dubai. But compared to the sizes of the other cars I see around, it looked quite small in size. I haven't seen the 4 doors Jimny here, probably that would look proportionate.
NomadSK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 11:19   #3163
TSS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukh4030 View Post
Hello All,
I am seriously considering a Jimny Alpha AT.The local NEXA showroom (Sikanderpur in Gurgaon) is offering only 50K. Anyhow if someone knows of a showroom where better discounts are available, please share.
Hello all Senior BHPians.
This is my first post. My membership just got approved today. I joined Team-BHP.com to get all possible information and knowledge before buying the Jimny (Alpha AT).
Right now I am in the same boat as you are - taking offers from Nexa Dealers (Delhi NCR). The best offer I have received as of now is an additional 25K discount in addition to the 50K for MY 2024. Contact Prem Motors, Gurgaon. They are not budging beyond that. Lets negotiate together for two vehicles.
TSS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 13:02   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSS View Post
Hello all Senior BHPians.
This is my first post. My membership just got approved today. I joined Team-BHP.com to get all possible information and knowledge before buying the Jimny (Alpha AT). .
Please go through the classified section of the forum, one member is selling his sparingly used Jimny.
Rajjaiswal92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 13:51   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSS View Post
taking offers from Nexa Dealers (Delhi NCR). The best offer I have received as of now is an additional 25K discount in addition to the 50K for MY 2024. Contact Prem Motors, Gurgaon. They are not budging beyond that. Lets negotiate together for two vehicles.
Try from smaller pockets / outskirts of NCR like Manesar, Rewari, Jind, Sohna etc. Or Greater Noida for a better deal. Don't waste your precious time and energy in Gurgaon.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks