Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2024, 11:09   #2731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
Unfortunately, this is the only way that the bicycles can be mounted on this and other back stands. The wheels protrude because Jimnys width is less than the wheelbase of most bikes.[/url]
Why not take off the front wheel and appropriately reposition the frame such that it doesn’t stick out so much?

Don’t know about other states but I believe KA is mandatorily penalising such protruding setups.
Old 10th January 2024, 15:28   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Why not take off the front wheel and appropriately reposition the frame such that it doesn’t stick out so much?

Don’t know about other states but I believe KA is mandatorily penalising such protruding setups.
With such bikes, it's hard to mount the bicycle from anything other than the main center top tube. By removing the front wheel and trying to mount it proporitonally on the center, I would have the left side mount of the stand on the center of the main tube and the right hand side mount would be somewhere on one side of the rear tyres downward tubes. Such a setup would be more unstable than mounting both points on the bike's center tube, which is how these stands are intended to the used.

Here's the link to the BNB rack's installation video and mounting instructions. Even in their video, you can see the rear tyre protroding beyond the vehicle on the right side.

On their spare rack installation video, the bicycle is protruding on both ends.

This kind of wheel protrusion is inevitable on wider vehicles. The Jimny being much skinnier guarantees that the tyres will jut out from either or both sides. Either we adjust our driving to carrying this kind of load, and maintain appropriate distance from vehicles closer to our back, or there's always the option to get the roof rack from Nexa accessories for 32k. I might go for that option in the end, but I would like to experiment with the cheaper options first.

If and when I do get stopped by the police, I'll present the same arguments to them, that this kind of protrusion is inevitable. If this is allowed under Motor Vehicles Act India, then all good. If it really ends up being a problem, then I'll have no choice to go for the roof mounted cycle stand.

Best wishes,
Pepega
Old 10th January 2024, 23:38   #2733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
With such bikes, it's hard to mount the bicycle from anything other than the main center top tube. Such a setup would be more unstable than mounting both points on the bike's center tube, which is how these stands are intended to the used.

This kind of wheel protrusion is inevitable on wider vehicles. The Jimny being much skinnier guarantees that the tyres will jut out from either or both sides.

If it really ends up being a problem, then I'll have no choice to go for the roof mounted cycle stand.

Best wishes,
Pepega
I've been using the BnB spare rack carrier on the Jimny for about three months now. I use it to take my road bike to a designated spot about three times a week.

The instructions provided by BnB in the pdf copy are good vis-a-vis the video which is shot from a distance and does not really capture the challenging part of mounting it especially on the rear of the spare wheel and the straps that need to be looped in to tie it down.

Pros

1. Easy on and off in 15 seconds with tie down straps

2. Stability of the rack and bike on it

3. Retractable arms which is not a hazard when not in use

Cons

1. One wheel slightly juts out but not disturbingly so

2. Water ingress after a wash. Drops of water leak out for some time. Could rust internally over a period of time

The upside to this rack over a roof rack is the safety and ease of using it. Mounting a cycle so high on a roof rack is a practical challenge coupled with low hanging wires, branches and underpasses.

I have a carbon bike and the rack is safe to use without a doubt.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_2024011016043088_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20240110wa0029.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf BEARACK BC-8409-2PN instruction.pdf (18.37 MB, 70 views)

Last edited by kesh4munni : 10th January 2024 at 23:41.
kesh4munni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 07:24   #2734
BHPian

Some months back (probably a year), I saw a news item in the Deccan Herala that the Bangalore police were banning bicycle racks on vehicles. While I am not sure if this is the case in other states, is putting a bicycle rack even legal in Karnataka or elsewhere?
Old 11th January 2024, 09:28   #2735
Distinguished - BHPian

Asking for a friend. Can the following modification be done to a 4-door Jimny in Bangalore? Would it be legal to drive such a modified car based on the original RC card? It has to be a Jimny (small AT), not interested in other cars. Serious answers only please

Maruti Jimny Review-jimnyconv.png
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 10:03   #2736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Asking for a friend. Can the following modification be done to a 4-door Jimny in Bangalore? Would it be legal to drive such a modified car based on the original RC card? It has to be a Jimny (small AT), not interested in other cars. Serious answers only please

Attachment 2557015
Please view this Gypsy. It used to live in my neighbourhood and has been modified in the manner suggested in your post. Also attached is another picture of the real ‘factory’ version which used to be sold abroad. Then a picture of the hardtop 3 door Jimny. And another picture of a scale model which I have as well. There isn’t yet, as far as I am aware, a factory created OEM convertible or soft top version of the Jimny. Im wondering if there ever will be, in fact.

I haven’t seen the neighbourhood Gypsy for some years though. I did at the time, ask a well known local garage about the possibilities of such a modification along with a shoe-horn job of the old Baleno 1.6 litre engine and attendant wiring harnesses and ECM etc, so as to create a neat little pocket rocket sleeper Gypsy as a ‘project toy’.

All of this is very well within the realms of possibility. They would simply cut the ladder chassis member by about 11 inches. Sadly owing to the positioning, this will result in the chassis number being cut away along with the rest of the metal. So they would re-stamp the chassis marking onto the end bit of the shortened ladder.

They would also cut the body shell by 11 inches and then re-weld the hinges and tailgate onto the shortened portion of the body shell. A little re-positioning of the petrol tank mouth and shortening of the attendant tubing would be necessary as well.
And Lo and Behold! We have an SWB Samurai right there!

I am sure, that at some point, were our Forest Dept, Geological Survey or Armed Forces folks to consider some kind of ‘special bulk order’ for the Jimny for their use as Safari vehicles or inspection vehicles or patrol vehicles, as an open-top or canopy-top or convertible-top, then a variant may very well be made, with some chopping and changing. But they would do such a modification if at all, only on the 5 door version here in India, because they will want that extra length.

However, as a caution, from a ‘civilian’ use point of view, this kind of modification would have been more than possible to do in the old days where there were many less vehicles on the road and much easier RTO regulations. Indeed right up to maybe 2018-2019 or so.

But in this brave new world where vehicles abound and the RTO norms are being tightened like nooses around our hapless necks, and the prevalence of Fastag and FC and PUCC and all sorts of 'Orwellian’ scrutiny, any and all such modifications would most certainly be considered illegal and will attract wholly unnecessary attention on the part of our local ‘fuzz’, with a rich 'topping’ by way of fines.

As an aside, is it at all even a possibility to ask Maruti to sell the 3 door to enthusiasts based on order and non refundable advance payment? Or failing this, pay the price and import one into India from the UK or AU or ZA.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_1406.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_8631.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_9081.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_9048.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th January 2024 at 10:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 12:42   #2737
BHPian

Observed a weird behavior with my Jimny while turning the steering to the right/clockwise. This happens when we are nearing full lock. There is a slight resistance(this is not there when turning to the left) and a click sound is heard near the right wheel. I took it to MASS and initially, they were not ready to acknowledge it but I made them check it 5 times and finally, they agreed it was an issue. After a day and a half, they told me all Jimny's have it but my car has some extra sound. How does a car have resistance and sound only while turning in one direction? They are still looking into this issue but wanted to know if others are also facing this issue/sound.
arjunsatheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 16:30   #2738
BHPian

Yes.

They are quoting 14,10,866 and 14,29,287 in Hyderabad for the Alpha MT citing higher taxes in the State of Telangana. Not sure if this is a good deal.
Old 11th January 2024, 17:16   #2739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by master uio View Post
Yes.

They are quoting 14,10,866 and 14,29,287 in Hyderabad for the Alpha MT citing higher taxes in the State of Telangana. Not sure if this is a good deal.
It is a very good deal for the Alpha MT with close to 3 Lakhs in discount.
Way2Jimny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 22:01   #2740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunsatheesh View Post
After a day and a half, they told me all Jimny's have it but my car has some extra sound. How does a car have resistance and sound only while turning in one direction? They are still looking into this issue but wanted to know if others are also facing this issue/sound.
Never noticed anything like that. Please ask them to bring a test drive car and recreate the problem.
Old 12th January 2024, 08:26   #2741
Distinguished - BHPian

'Made in India' Jimny 5d marks its presence at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2024.

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20240112-082150.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20240112-082022.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20240112-082058.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20240112-082122.png
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 09:27   #2742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Jimny View Post
It is a very good deal for the Alpha MT with close to 3 Lakhs in discount.
That’s right! I paid more than 17lacs here in Bangalore with some minor accessories. I am burning with the unfairness of it all … The things I could have done with those 3 lacs in hand…
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 12:04   #2743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunsatheesh View Post
Observed a weird behavior with my Jimny while turning the steering to the right/clockwise. They are still looking into this issue but wanted to know if others are also facing this issue/sound.
haven't noticed any such behaviour in mine. I have done approximately 2500kms since Sept 2023. Please update regarding the issue
sanhan10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 12:36   #2744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Attachment 2557015
if your friend is really serious about doing this, it is definitely possible.

There was a video of someone cutting a Jimny...Haven't seen the final status of that car but I'm pretty sure that that Jimny would look something like this now.

All your friend has to ensure is that the B-pillar is kept intact. The rest of the open areas can be neatly covered with soft top when not needed.

Shortening the chassis as shankar.balan mentioned, has been done on many Gypsies but a Gypsy is far more simpler than a Jimny. Moreover, If an open top is the main requirement, shortening is not really a necessity.

Regarding the legality, Gypsy RC had SOFT TOP and HARD TOP mentioned as they were official versions from the manufacturers. Jimny doesn't have anything and hence nothing is mentioned.

Like many other modifications, You're good until you're caught or it is left to the interpretation of the person in authority who catches this.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 12th January 2024 at 12:38.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 13:41   #2745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
That’s right! I paid more than 17lacs here in Bangalore with some minor accessories. I am burning with the unfairness of it all … The things I could have done with those 3 lacs in hand…
I have been wanting to write to Maruti regarding this from some time and did that early this week.

Maruti Jimny Review-mail1.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-mail2.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-mail3.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-mail4.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-mail5.jpg

After the January 8th email I received a phone call from CRM of the local dealer, whom I bought the vehicle from, asking what the issue is? I told them the issue is explained in the email. Post which there is no further communication from maruti suzuki.
Sankar is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks