Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2023, 19:55   #2626
BANNED

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChauhanSaurabh View Post
Don't go by Youtube reviews. I was shocked how much Youtubers cursed the XL6 6AT combination.

Can you please elaborate on how the XL6-AT experience feels like on highways and hills? I am confused between the manual and auto.

Mod Note - Do not use any SMS language. Proofread your posts and quote only relevant parts while replying.

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd December 2023 at 21:01. Reason: Grammar/ Short words/ Quote trimmed.
Old 23rd December 2023, 21:07   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlover View Post
Can you please elaborate on how the XL6-AT experience feels like on highways and hills? I am confused between the manual and auto.
The XL6 under full load with the AT will tend to strain going up the hills. I believe that this vehicle will derive benefit from the Throttle Controller just like the Jimny too, will.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2023 at 21:22. Reason: Quote trimmed.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 21:54   #2628
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The XL6 under full load with the AT will tend to strain going up the hills. I believe that this vehicle will derive benefit from the Throttle Controller just like the Jimny too, will.
What do you suggest if maximum driving is in hills but accessing them from Punjab plains for 4 adults for frequent road trips to Himachal / Uttarakhand? Nearing 40 years and sole driver in the family hence was inclined for AT but unsure if that would be the right choice for the driving scenario.

Mod Note : Dear BHPian, please go through Team-BHP's Posting Etiquette before making any fresh post on Team-BHP, request you to strictly adhere by the pointers.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th December 2023 at 08:20. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 23rd December 2023, 22:10   #2629
Senior - BHPian

I had driven the 3 door Jimny overseas, (and that was made in Japan). The Indian made one isn't as smooth (Took a TD at NEXA JP Nagar, 5000 Kms on ODO). The engine is rough, gears are hard, suspension was not soaking up the craters like how the Japanese one would do, so have dropped the car for now. Found the difference in quality drastic. Anyone else has had same experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I drove the Jimny 2D, overseas and it was such a hoot to drive.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 22:24   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
On highways as long as you are a steady cruiser it is one of the most refined engines for 90-120 kmph. Engine noise is negligible inside cabin. I would recommend an AT specially for 6 gears and paddle shifters. In case of any highways overtakes, i just flick a gear down with finger and it overtakes without much drama, unless you are overtaking somebody running at higher than 100kmph. On hills it does start making noises because it starts holding the gears. Becomes a bit noisy but manages the climbs. Biggest of all, this AT gearbox I felt manages steep inclines with gravel much better than manual. I would recommend getting an AT at all costs in XL6.

Quote:
Uglare, the importer of Windbooster is close to my home. I kept pushing him to get a Jimny box and try with my XL6. He did not respond positively, hence could not really test it. But you are right XL6 would definitely benefit from it.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th December 2023 at 09:50. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't put Mod Notes within posts. Use the Report Post button to get a Moderator's attention. Thanks!
ChauhanSaurabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 23:29   #2631
BANNED

Quote:
Uglare, the importer of Windbooster is close to my home. I kept pushing him to get a Jimny box and try with my XL6. He did not respond positively, hence could not really test it. But you are right XL6 would definitely benefit from it.
So kind of you for such an elaborate explanation. One thing I did feel was during downhill drives, AT tends to shift to next gear with building RPMs and I need to downshift by paddle shifters. If I don't do that and use engine breaking, I feel the car is not under my complete control. Is this because of constant driving of manual over the years? In the long run and frequent hill travel, with this be the scenario with an AT?

Last edited by aah78 : 24th December 2023 at 09:53. Reason: Typos fixed, spacing fixed.
Old 24th December 2023, 07:49   #2632
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
*On hills it does start making noises because it starts holding the gears. Becomes a bit noisy but manages the climbs. Biggest of all, this AT gearbox I felt manages steep inclines with gravel much better than manual. I would recommend getting an AT at all costs in XL6.

These modern AT vehicles, on steep inclines, also take inputs from the ABS, TCS, driving pattern, in built Inclinometers and gyros and so on, to choose the best gear for that ascent or descent. Yes one can and should manually over ride using the Paddle Shifters or S Button or OD Button as needed to hold a lower gear if required.

The Throttle controller reduces lag and adjusts the responses to the Throttle inputs by sensing 'accelerator push' and controlling things better. It helps also in holding a lower gear for longer, so as to build up revs and power. That's why it is very useful in these relatively inherently less powerful naturally aspirated vehicles like the Maruti XL6, Jimny, Baleno and all. (We find it massively helpful in my Dad's Toyota Glanza.)

Quote:
One thing I did feel was during downhill drives, AT tends to shift to next gear with building RPMs and I need to downshift by paddle shifters.
On those long downhill inclines which may 'flatten out' for a while, indeed one's driving pattern as well as vehicle's sensors readings will change. That's when the AT box tends to move to a higher gear unless manually over-ridden.

All this is perfectly normal. You just have to be sensitive to your machine and to the operating conditions that you are in, at any given point in time.

If you want the EVC X Ultimate 9 controller for XL6 or Jimny, you can call Ajit of Tapasvi on +91 99307 77800. That's the one Im using and am happy with. He should give you the basic one for about 16-18K and the 'Ultimate' one for about 21-22K. It is an easy fix on all these 'drive by wire' vehicles.

This is not only my experience but the experience of several others too, on this forum itself.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th December 2023 at 09:54. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 10:26   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I did feel was during downhill drives, AT tends to shift to next gear with building RPMs and I need to downshift by paddle shifters. If I don't do that and use engine breaking, I feel the car is not under my complete control. Is this because of constant driving of manual over the years? In the long run and frequent hill travel, with this be the scenario with an AT?
In Jimny, you can selectively set the shifting range higher limit. In D mode, it can shift to 4th gear. Press OD off button on the shifting lever, you are limited to 3rd, shift to position 2 for 2nd, and L for the lowest gear only- all in 2H mode.

Jimny owners drove their AT vehicles to Umling La and many other toughest terrains of Ladakh and Spiti already without any trouble, except the infamous brakes issue. As per the resolution provided by MSIL (also mentioned in the owners manual), you have to keep the engine rpm in higher range when you go beyond tree line (> 3500 meters) where ambient air pressure is much lower than Mean Sea Level barometric pressure.

I drove Jimny only upto 2500 meters elevation approx. without any reportable issue; except the spongy brake (common issue with Jimny).
RijuC is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 11:02   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
In Jimny, you can selectively set the shifting range higher limit. In D mode, it can shift to 4th gear. Press OD off button on the shifting lever, you are limited to 3rd, shift to position 2 for 2nd, and L for the lowest gear only- all in 2H mode.
Had some questions around 2 and L modes. Can they be selected while on the move, provided RPM is low. Can the box be put back in D from 2 or L while moving. Or the vehicle has to be stood still and then shift. (Both scenarios in 2H).
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 13:05   #2635
BHPian

Quote:
AT tends to shift to next gear with building RPMs and I need to downshift by paddle shifters.
Since I am only an year old with AT, not sure if this phenomena applies to all sort of AT boxes. But at least with Maruti TC this will happen and it will try to move to higher rpms on downhill while moving to higher gear on its on. But this is only in D mode. During my trip to Spiti this year, what i learnt is better to put it in M mode and leverage the engine braking and control over gear changes. Similarly 2/L in Jimny. You might feel it a but cumbersome but it is quite intuitive with paddle shifters. Also it outweighs the manual with 100kmph @2k rpm and seamless shifts.

Quote:
These modern AT vehicles, on steep inclines, also take inputs from the ABS, TCS, driving pattern, in built Inclinometers and gyros and so on, to choose the best gear for that ascent or descent. Yes one can and should manually over ride using the Paddle Shifters or S Button or OD Button as needed to hold a lower gear if required.
Yes, the way all of these work together on a TC AT just elevates the capability of a FWD car. I realized this only when I was in situations which involved steep incline and gravels. Not saying any close to a AWD/4WD car but much better than a manual FWD car. That is one of the main reason I have been suggesting everyone to get the 6AT equipped car against 5MT from Maruti stable. I guess that in enough venturing off the Jimny track from me on this thread.
Old 24th December 2023, 15:38   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Had some questions around 2 and L modes. Can they be selected while on the move, provided RPM is low. Can the box be put back in D from 2 or L while moving. Or the vehicle has to be stood still and then shift. (Both scenarios in 2H).
You can shift between D, 2, L (and OD on/off) on the move. Think of this as using gearbox in manual mode or the triptonic feature in more modern auto trannies.
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 19:39   #2637
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
You can shift between D, 2, L (and OD on/off) on the move. Think of this as using gearbox in manual mode or the triptonic feature in more modern auto trannies.
And here is the snippet from Manual as when to use the gear knob botton while shifting in automatic
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_20231221_132150_onedrive.jpg  

HTC is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 19:45   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot_tsi View Post
I am however looking for recommendations on the colour as I am not very sure on how Suzuki colours age and the road presence of each coour. Any long term holder of a Suzuki (Maruti) car could please help here.
I have an almost 18 year old silky silver metallic colour WagonR. The paint finish is as good as it was when it left the showroom in 2006. Special care done - none! No polish, ceramic, PPF or any such things. The car is washed once a month, that's it. The metallic colour really shines after a wash or if it has rained. Cars of that era had very thick, rich quality paint. Not so sure about today's Maruti cars. But I have checked out the Jimny and it's paint finish feels superior to other Maruti's.

Last edited by RD410 : 24th December 2023 at 19:53. Reason: Added more info
RD410 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 07:57   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuggn View Post

Final price received was 12.82 lakhs for Zeta Automatic with Maruti Alloys and Fog Lamps.

With this price it was a non brainier for me. So booked the car and expecting delivery on Weekend.
Would you mind sharing details of Dealer/ SA if possible. My elder brother is also considering the same.

Thank You!
Old 25th December 2023, 12:51   #2640
BHPian

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0192.jpeg

Hi guys. Wishing all my Jimny brothers and sisters a Merry Christmas. And while at it, entering a random observation of what appears to me a most referred complaint with the Lovebug of our times - poor fuel efficiency.
As borne out via the attached image (this one taken an hour back today, on the way back from a hearty Christmas breakfast, with 4 onboard), my ‘Kali’ continues to thrill me with above-expectations efficiency even about town. Admittedly, traffic was easy today morning and shifts down from the higher gears were rarely called upon. But therein lies the charm of this much vilified motor-‘box combo. In the manual guise at least, judicious use of the gas pedal, almost always lets the car stay in-gear without lugging the engine.
My in-town efficiency has rarely strayed below 13, even in peak traffic.
While rhapsodising about it, I might as well add - how one breaks-in the motor while new, has always helped me gather peak engine performance in all cars past and present. My Virtus GT, continues to enthral with a ARAI beating 20 KMPL on highways, 15+ KMPL about NCR. My departed Endeavour never gave worse than 10 in town and nudged 13+ routinely on longer runs. And coming back to the Jimny - after 6000 kms on the clock now, sustained 120 kmph feels smooth and non-thrashy, contrary to popular expectations.
There are a few things that I did or continue to do:

1. Replace the first engine oil at 5000 kms instead of the factory specified 10000/15000 (depending on make).
2. Never move the car on morning starts, before the car has idled a bit and the tach has settled below 1000 rpm.
3. Do not speed the car for the first 15 mins of startup.
4. Finally, do not ever switch off the car for at least 30 seconds after a trip has ended. This last step isn’t as important for NA engines, but absolutely crucial for turbo-charged motors, allowing the oil to flow around and cool the turbo impeller before supply is cut off.

Hope a few of you find this information helpful and derive even more joy out of your Jimny-ing than you already are.

Cheers!

Last edited by SUVolens : 25th December 2023 at 12:55.
SUVolens is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks