Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2023, 17:48   #2551
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
Hi folks, looking for suggestions on how to do this.
I've also been looking for solutions to blacken out the chrome on my Jimny front grille.

Most of the DIYs I've seen recommend the following steps and materials:

Remove the chrome grille.
  1. Spray the grille with water.
  2. Apply scuffing paste onto a grey scuff pad.
  3. Scrub the chrome grille with the grey scuff pad.
  4. Use a 3m sanding sponge to scuff the surface.
  5. Use a wax and grease remover and wipe off the scuffing paste.
  6. Spray on adhesion promoter to the chrome grille.
  7. Wait ten minutes.
  8. Next, apply two coats of primer to the surface.
  9. Apply a base coat of paint.
  10. Apply a clear coat.
  11. Let the surface dry, and replace the chrome grille.
So it's quite a cumbersome process and the materials could be around 2000-3000 Rupees. Most of the stuff is available off Amazon or your local paint store.

The idea is to make the paint stick permanently onto the chrome which is not possible unless the chrome is able to absorb the paint. This will happen only if we sand it down and apply some base which will stick to the sanded chrome.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 19:31   #2552
BHPian

Took the Jimny to the base of Nandi hills today, to explore some off road paths...very, very basic stuff, just to try engaging 4H.

Found a couple, one was a bit steep and craggy...close to 30 degrees of incline...it so easily clambered up and down, very impressive and effortless !

Maruti Jimny Review-jimnynandigrass.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-jimnynandi.jpg
rhsakarp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 20:03   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Questions
Completed 5000km. Was planning to replace engine oil, though the recommended interval is at 10K km.
The service centre did not have the 0W-20 grade oil which is recommended for the Jimny in the owners manual. So decided to put it off. The manual also lists 5W-30 grade oil which the ASS had. Has anybody done an oil change? Was 0W-20 available?

Also, I couldn't find wheel alignment parameters in the manual. So, how does one get it done outside of ASS?
These are the figures available in any shop with a Hunter Machine. All they need to put the Jimny model with the year 2018 onwards in the options. My vehicle alignment was done at Madhu's in Bangalore - and they do a fine job. In case required these target data in the central column can be used as a baseline.

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-alingnment-21062023.jpeg

Vehicle mounted for alignment with the Hunter machine in the background:

Maruti Jimny Review-img_6342.jpg

The figures match with the ones for given in the JB74 Service manual:
Maruti Jimny Review-13217.pngMaruti Jimny Review-13218.png

Almost all Maruti dealers are now tying up with Castrol for their synthetic 5W30 Fully Synthetic Oil - which is suitable for all Jimny's abroad and should be for India as well. The reason for MSIL to put 0W16 seems to be more cost based. 3.5 Liters of Ecstar Fully Synthetic costs Rs. 1,650.00 whereas the Castrol 3.5 Liters cots Rs. 4,351.20 - a huge difference. The only issue is that the Ecstar will mostly always be put taken from a drum. The Castrol can be put if requested from the 3.5 Liter jar. Will try and see if Ecstar can be sourced by the Service Center in a 3.5 liter jar - if so will get that put in the 3rd Service - I have 5W30 Castrol now changed at 1000 Kms. If so good otherwise it is back to Castrol.
ShivC is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 20:32   #2554

I've got these two quotes from local Nexa Dealers for Alpha MT. What are your thoughts on these two quotes? Am I missing something in quote of 13 lacs + RTO 63 K charges ?
Any kind of guidance will be much appreciated as I'm not planning to buy Alpha MT instead of Zeta MT, and need to save as much as possible in the variant upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20231216-20.02.49.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20231216-20.02.43.jpeg  

Old 16th December 2023, 21:30   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
The idea is to make the paint stick permanently onto the chrome which is not possible unless the chrome is able to absorb the paint. This will happen only if we sand it down and apply some base which will stick to the sanded chrome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
Any ideas on how to make the chrome bits matte-black at a minimal cost
Process shared by dileep is the correct process for best results. Below is a quick and dirty shorter way which will get you 95% of above result

1. Sand the chrome part lightly with ~400 grit sandpaper. Ensure the chrome gets scratched up and dull. No need to remove chrome entirely
2. Clean with rubbing alcohol
3. Spray paint with 3 coats of good quality matt black paint.

Nippon paint available on amazon is good. One can will suffice for all chrome parts though I recommend doing the entire grill in matt black. It looks better that way.

cheers
vishwaschettri is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 22:16   #2556

Quote:
Originally Posted by chheringpal View Post
Any kind of guidance will be much appreciated as I'm not planning to buy Alpha MT instead of Zeta MT, and need to save as much as possible in the variant upgrade.
I meant I'm now planning to buy Alpha MT instead of Zeta MT.

Pardon my typo.
Old 16th December 2023, 23:16   #2557
Senior - BHPian

I drove the Jimny 2D, overseas and it was such a hoot to drive. Took it on all sorts of undulations, rocks, sand etc, and it put a big smile on my face. This particular car was 100% Japan made. Hope the Indian version is as good. I'm so much in love. Every time I tried the JP Nagar dealership they were dodging me, hopefully this Christmas time I'll try once again to get a TD. Maybe they will give me one!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_4251.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 10:56   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChauhanSaurabh View Post

May be I am over estimating the pros of a body on frame over such terrain. Would love to learn more on this from experienced folks here on the forum.
Well, since you asked...

There is not actually much that can be said *universally* re: benefits / demerits of unit-body/monocoque vs. body-on-frame, and I feel much is being overstated about it in certain threads lately.

Both designs have been around since anyone's grandparents' time, and we can find examples of excellent on-road and off-road driving dynamics in each. Might add that there have been combinations of both, also, such as early Camaros/Novas and their corporate cousins, that had a front subframe attached by four bolts/rubber bushings to a monocoque rear/main body shell.

I grew up in a time when things were transitioning on a broader scale to full monocoques and have owned many, many vehicles of both types. As an engineer formerly in the automotive field and reasonably well-read, what I can say is that the transition was done largely for cost-cutting, weight savings (thus fuel economy), packaging considerations, and maximizing interior space, etc, things like that.

Granted when you save weight you generally help performance / driving dynamics, so right, no exotic is going to have a separate frame now... that's there. But then again some examples of relatively lighweight full-frame cars and relatively heavy monocoques could also be found, and there have been plenty of ill-handling monocoques!!!

What I'd venture is that most people here, given "blind" driving/riding tests in the two categories, would most often not be able to tell the difference in overall feel and driving experience on or.off-road, if comparing otherwise similar vehicles in same segment.

As far as off-road goes, what matters most performance-wise is ground-clearance, gearing, turning radius, traction, etc. NOT construction type.

Probably the main reason monocoques are seldom used for anything with potentially more serious OTR applications is that there's nothing as solid/ easy to mount a winch on, or comparatively, even to mount a tow-cable/strap to!!! But I have seen sedan/hatchback-like monocoques performing brilliantly off-road, out-doing much more purposeful-looking stuff sometimes, in those cases likely due to more power and more advanced traction-control systems...

Will say that the fact of body-on-frame vehicles' complete passenger compartments being mounted on rubber generally helps a lot in reducing road/tyre noise on highways. Am sometimes shocked at the noise levels in some modern monocoque vehicles, even our 1950's design Marshal does better in that regard!!!

Full-frames also tend to be easier to repair in terms of accident damage... though of course there are quite a few variables there.

As it comes to comparing a Jimny with, say, a Hycross AWD, I think it just comes down to what sort of budget and compromises you can live with. As I said, probably best and most satisfying car I've ever driven was the Yeti, because it was quite brilliant both on and off-road. Compromises, yes, but I think a good AWD station wagon/ MPV is hard to beat for most people, assuming it has decent ground clearance. A Yeti with the Duster AWD's GC would have been even better. Not sure how the Hycross will compare to either of these.

-Eric.

Last edited by ringoism : 17th December 2023 at 11:14.
ringoism is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 16:43   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Has anybody done an oil change? Was 0W-20 available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivC View Post
The only issue is that the Ecstar will mostly always be put taken from a drum.
I recently had the oil changed during the second service at the newly opened Nexa centre in Sector 57, Noida. Initially, they said changing the oil wasn’t necessary at this stage but then pitched Mobil 5W30. I insisted on 0W16 and that too from a jar, or else I’d get it changed elsewhere. After some confusion and discussions with their inventory manager, they found a jar of 0W16. The car feels smoother after the oil change, though it might just be a placebo effect.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4858.jpeg
Biraj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 00:55   #2560
BHPian

Jiomotiv in Jimny

Hey Bhpians as you know i purchased my Jimny on Monday from Nexa with a great discount thanks to Maruti and dealership. First things on my mind was to get upgrades from the money saved. Below mentioned is the total list of upgrades I got.

- Maruti Alloys from Dealership 40k for 5 alloys
- Tyres upgraded to 235/70/15 Yokohama 28k after replacement for 5 tyres
- front Grill 5k
- LED in headlights and projector fog lamps 20k
- damping morel 6 sheets 6k
- Morel component speakers 5 inch 20k
- 4 channel blaupunkt amp 13k
- Underseat woofer Nakamichi -13.5k
- seat covers hand stitched 12k

Last and most important jiomotiv for 5k

I was looking a device for live tracking of car with basic alerts and jiomotiv fits the bill. Additionally it gives Wi-Fi in your car and you connect upto 8 devices.

Ordering the same was easy I ordered from Amazon and got delivered same day in Gurgaon.

I installed the JioThings app and setup the device was easy just connect the device in your car OBD port and follow the instructions on the app.

In order to use the device eSIM needs to be activated which takes around 1 day after you configure the device in app.

Once activated the app let you track the car real time and shows basic car details like - speed, rpm, battery level etc.

It also shows history of all trips with driver rating for each trip.

You can also jeofence and timefence the car.

App also give you option to maintain fuel logs and add car docs which is a good feature.

Wi-Fi speed is really good and it’s free for 1st year with the device.

Overall really happy with the performance and I think it’s a good buy.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4478.png

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4479.png

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4480.png

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4481.png

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4482.png

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4483.png

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4473.jpeg
Manuggn is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 08:48   #2561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuggn View Post
Jiomotiv in Jimny
I guess yours is the first report about Jiomotiv on the forum. Request you to kindly share it with all details in it for help of prospective buyers in this thread (Car Connect by Reliance Jio).

Last edited by BoneCollector : 18th December 2023 at 08:50.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 10:03   #2562
BHPian

Hello peeps , i’m one of those who has been sitting on the fence about buying one or passing on it .
My friend who happens to own a nexa showroom have informed me that they are willing to give a discount of 3,00,000 on Zeta AT variant. I was offered a similar deal from a Nexa dealer in NCR , is there more space to wiggle some more discount/benefits in or i have hit rock bottom?
Your valuable inputs would be appreciated as this will only be a decision made from the heart.
Rajjaiswal92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 10:16   #2563
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajjaiswal92 View Post
Hello peeps , i’m one of those who has been sitting on the fence about buying one or passing on it .
My friend who happens to own a nexa showroom have informed me that they are willing to give a discount of 3,00,000 on Zeta AT variant. I was offered a similar deal from a Nexa dealer in NCR , is there more space to wiggle some more discount/benefits in or i have hit rock bottom?
Your valuable inputs would be appreciated as this will only be a decision made from the heart.
3.25 lakh is the maximum discount I have been able to avail for my friend who was looking for the Jimny Zeta AT variant along with the Thunder Edition Kit, so you more or less have reached the maximum discount, and I think there is little room for further negotiation. As regards Alpha AT, I have been able to get discounts to the tune of 2.5 lakhs. All these discounts only apply to variants and colours currently in stock.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 11:12   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuggn View Post
Jiomotiv in Jimny

Hey Bhpians as you know i purchased my Jimny on Monday from Nexa with a great discount thanks to Maruti and dealership. First things on my mind was to get upgrades from the money saved. Below mentioned is the total list of upgrades I got.
- front Grill 5k
Your Jimny looks amazing. Did you get the Front Grille from Maruti themselves? Or is this an aftermarket grille which they agreed to install for you? If you got it from Maruti themselves, can you give me the part number please?

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 18th December 2023, 11:14   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Your Jimny looks amazing. Did you get the Front Grille from Maruti themselves? Or is this an aftermarket grille which they agreed to install for you? If you got it from Maruti themselves, can you give me the part number please?

Thanks,
Rahul
I got it from aftermarket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks