Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2023, 19:26   #2536
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
My sales advisor just sent the pic of car allotted to me from dealer stockyard. Odo says 46 kms but run time is 5 hrs plus. Is this normal?
@HTC, personally, would not consider this a deal breaker(if the rest of the PDI is fine). However, it is on the higher side, needs an explanation.
I had got the car with 12kms on the odo. Did not know about the run time, so did not check that at the time.
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 22:41   #2537
BHPian

Questions
Completed 5000km. Was planning to replace engine oil, though the recommended interval is at 10K km.
The service centre did not have the 0W-20 grade oil which is recommended for the Jimny in the owners manual. So decided to put it off. The manual also lists 5W-30 grade oil which the ASS had. Has anybody done an oil change? Was 0W-20 available?

Also, I couldn't find wheel alignment parameters in the manual. So, how does one get it done outside of ASS?
Old 15th December 2023, 22:44   #2538
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
https://Youtu.be/U5IGGZKfRI0?si=0Z4UWgNexcVyp5Za

A 3000+ Km update by your's truly!
Hi Guru,

Thanks for your reviews - probably if not for them, I might just have skipped booking Jimny

I did a lot of search on Throttle controllers where some tests have been done vis-a-vis stock.

Here is a Dyno test video on Throttle Controllers and exactly how they work vs Stock. There indeed is a difference - properly tested and measured, even with full pedal pressed.

Last edited by RDS : 15th December 2023 at 22:45.
RDS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 23:52   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Questions
The service centre did not have the 0W-20 grade oil which is recommended for the Jimny in the owners manual.
As per manual the correct engine oil is 0W-16
Old 16th December 2023, 06:14   #2540
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
Got

Somehow, it reminded me of the IPOD classic, some bits are questionable, but it all comes together so beautifully

Few queries for fellow Jimnyasts

1. Found the window glasses to be highly reflective on the inside...like, the drivers side glass on the inside, reflects everything on the left side of the car (and vice versa), gets pretty confusing at times, especially when taking turns in bright sunlight...anyone notice this ?
]

Such a nice comparison. Indeed the original iPod as well as the iPhone 4S came together so beautifully and yes the Jimny is a bit like that.

I like your descriptor very much - ‘Jimnyasts’ - a well-coined usage! I too, shall use this!

Ref the window glass reflecting things inside. I think you’ll find this is an issue in most cars in bright sunlight and not only the boxy ones like the thar and jimny. I think with a little time, one simply ‘tunes it out’.

Good luck with your Jimny. I hope one day to also join the tribe.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 06:41   #2541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
As per manual the correct engine oil is 0W-16
For Jimnys sold outside of European Union and Israel, the recommended first choice is 0W-20.
The following excerpt is from page 6-24 of the owners manual.

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_20231216063228.png

5W-30 has the same operating temperature range and is in the recommended list.

0W-16 is preferred choice for EU and Israel.
cogWheel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 06:58   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
For Jimnys sold outside of European Union and Israel, the recommended first choice is 0W-20.
The following excerpt is from page 6-24 of the owners manual.

Attachment 2544842

5W-30 has the same operating temperature range and is in the recommended list.

0W-16 is preferred choice for EU and Israel.
Refer to the Indian manual available for download from Nexa website (image attached below)

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/maruti...t-free-service
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_20231216_065620_samsung-notes.jpg  

Last edited by yadavsid21 : 16th December 2023 at 07:10. Reason: Added link to relevant post
yadavsid21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 07:29   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
https://Youtu.be/U5IGGZKfRI0?si=0Z4UWgNexcVyp5Za

A 3000+ Km update by your's truly!
Thank you so much @gsferrari ! A precise and practical review, amidst all the noise out there . I was on the fence for a long time about getting the Jimny...your reviews really helped decide to get it. Just got delivery of a white Zeta AT.

Happy Jimn(y)astics !
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 07:38   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
1. Found the window glasses to be highly reflective on the inside...like, the drivers side glass on the inside, reflects everything on the left side of the car (and vice versa), gets pretty confusing at times, especially when taking turns in bright sunlight...anyone notice this ?
ZETA AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ref the window glass reflecting things inside. I think you’ll find this is an issue in most cars in bright sunlight and not only the boxy ones like the thar and jimny. I think with a little time, one simply ‘tunes it out’.
The window glare is indeed irritating. I have mentioned the same s in my ownership review too. It is more than what I have seen in my other cars (all sedan / hatchback bodystyles).
The glare is obvious in bright sunlight as well as when it is completely dark outside. Recently, when I was driving down some ghats at night, I felt visibility out of the drivers window was next to nothing during tight right turns. So much so, I had to roll down the window at times.
I thought it may have to do with the UV cut glass in the Alpha variant. But @rhsakarp is reporting this in the Zeta too. So is this due to the vertical nature of the window glasses? Is such glare more in other boxy cars like the That or Bolero too?

Last edited by cogWheel : 16th December 2023 at 08:06.
cogWheel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 07:56   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
Refer to the Indian manual available for download from Nexa website (image attached below)

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/maruti...t-free-service
You are right. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had downloaded both the global and India-specific manuals and hence the mix-up.
I wonder about availability though. As of now, Nexa service centers seem to be stocking only 5W-30 and unless you are particular, will simply use that.

Thanks again
Old 16th December 2023, 07:58   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
The window glare is indeed irritating. I have mentioned the same s in my ownership review too.
The glare is obvious bright sunlight as well as when it is completely dark outside. Recently, when I was driving down some ghats at night, I felt visibility out of the drivers window was next to nothing during tight right turns. So much so, I had to roll down the window at times.
I thought it may have to do with the UV cut glass in the Alpha variant. But @rhsakarp is reporting this in the Zeta too. So is this due to the vertical nature of the window glasses? Is such glare more in other boxy cars like the That or Bolero too?
I thought the window glasses on my car had some issue...However, not a good problem to have for all of us.

Like @shankar.balan said, it seems to be more of an issue with upright glass in boxy cars.

Till the time I manage to tune it out, I've been driving with windows down too @cogWheel.

That is also something I am quite enjoying in the evenings and early mornings here...The window sill is really low, feels good to rest your elbow there and keep pottering around, nice and easy.

Feels good giving the to the patient driver(s) who let me go at a round about, putting out the 'read-between-the-lines' sign to an impatient tanker driver honking from behind when the light is red and a quick 'tiffin aaithanna ?' to the auto guy next to me at a loooong red light !

After using the start/stop button in my other car since a few years now, loving the 'twist-key-to-crank' start too
rhsakarp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 08:00   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
The window glare is indeed irritating. I have mentioned the same s in my ownership review too.
So is this due to the vertical nature of the window glasses? Is such glare more in other boxy cars like the That or Bolero too?
Its there in Thar too. It used to startle me initial when peripheral vision sense something moving on passenger side but it used to be reflection in the glass.
You can try polarized glasses, they do reduce such glare.
yadavsid21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 08:23   #2548
BHPian

Hi folks, looking for suggestions on how to do this.

Disclaimer - this is a personal preference (to each his own)

In the front grill, want to make the rectangular inserts matte-black in color and retain the gray rest of the grille as is.

Rustoleum peel coat matte black is not easily available, plasti-dip each can is costing a fortune (not sure of my abilities to use it effectively), local sticker shop says it is not possible.

Do not want to buy a new grille, since this existing grille will go to waste (cannot think of any other effective use for it).

Any ideas on how to make the chrome bits matte-black at a minimal cost ?

Illustrated below (first element is blackened)

Maruti Jimny Review-jimnygrille.jpg

Last edited by rhsakarp : 16th December 2023 at 08:26.
Old 16th December 2023, 14:21   #2549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuggn View Post
Here are pics of first few customisations.

- upgraded tyres to Yokohama 235/70/15
( 235/75/15 will touch the body but 235/70/15 will not)
- upgraded the front grill.

Attachment 2543545
Got the same tyres yesterday, was advised to upgrade to wider alloys.
Will run stock alloys for a few days and then decide.

Where did you source the grill from?
Old 16th December 2023, 14:43   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevItUp View Post
Got the same tyres yesterday, was advised to upgrade to wider alloys. Will run stock alloys for a few days and then decide.

Where did you source the grill from?
Got it from Gurgaon. Batra car care it’s close to sector - 14 gurgaon
Manuggn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks