Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 05:34   #2146
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
So what happens to spares of Maruti decides to pull the plug in India?
Even if it bombs in India, pretty sure they will ramp up the exports. It’s in high demand all over. So, spares should not be a problem at all. Enjoy your car! You are pretty used to some really exclusive cars
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 06:54   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Hi All.

What is the alignment procedure for the Jimny ?

I heard it’s done individually to the front wheels ? Is that correct ?

Also does anyone have the readings for the alignment specs.
The service centre doesn’t seem to have.
arjunrudra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 08:18   #2148
BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

I am not sure why we are even discussing about discounts. I always buy the top end models . I bought Scorpio top end VLX in 2009 and I was given 40K discount without asking. I bought Crysta automatic Z top end in 2021 and I was given 40 K discount without asking. I bought Jimny alpha automatic top end last month and I got 40 K without asking.

I am not sure if I am an exception and really donot care for a few thousands of discount but more emotionally connected with the car itself and living to drive.

As an example, I bought a Stepney cover from NEXA and they charged 13K . People are throwing the stock HT tyres for peanuts on the delivery day itself and fixing AT tyres costing 35 K without thinking twice. Why are they doing this?

The above video done for comparison of Jimny by auto car is long due for Indian audience. This has been done internationally 4 years back .

Japanese cars are small and efficient in size with almost zero niggles. Once you experience a Japanese car, one never goes to buy any other car.

I personally feel that time only will tell who wins on the long run especially when Diesel is banned by Government in the next couple of years.

Indians already missed an opportunity of enjoying 2 door Jimny manufactured in India and exported and I won’t be surprised if the same happens to 4 door Jimny also.

Last edited by Mystic : 22nd October 2023 at 08:46.
Mystic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 08:56   #2149
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I am not sure why we are even discussing about discounts. I always buy the top end models . I bought Scorpio top end VLX in 2009 and I was given 40K discount without asking. I bought Crysta automatic Z top end in 2021 and I was given 40 K discount without asking. I bought Jimny alpha automatic top end last month and I got 40 K without asking.

I am not sure if I am an exception and really donot care for a few thousands of discount but more emotionally connected with the car itself and living to drive.

As an example, I bought a Stepney cover from NEXA and they charged 13K . People are throwing the stock HT tyres for peanuts on the delivery day itself and fixing AT tyres costing 35 K without thinking twice. Why are they doing this?
Any modification we do after delivery, we do consciously out of our own free will. But what we get from the company is not in our hands. And that price is set. Everyone and their uncle knew that
1. Maruti had priced the Jimny REALLY optimistically.
2. It was charging excessive premium for the Aplha variant as well as for the automatic.

Market response as been likewise. The car has always been available on discounts, from the very beginning. Maruti has now made it official to push sales. My take is that they should proactively correct the prices, like how MG just did with the ZS EV.

Exceptions aside, this bubble of huge demand and insane waiting periods for everything has burst. Many cars like even Scorpio and XUV700 and new Nexon are available for immediate delivery if you are open about choice of variant and colour. Many cars are back to carrying some discounts as well. Maruti just overplayed its hand with the Jimny’s pricing, and is now having to defend. Just because Creta and Seltos have been getting away with it doesn’t mean everyone will.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd October 2023 at 09:03.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 09:00   #2150
Senior - BHPian

How the Jimny is made at Maruti Suzuki plant in Gurugram.

Quote:
It is the newest line in the company & is fully automated.

Two separate lines due to ladder frame architecture - for cabin & chassis.

Interesting to see the merging & demerging of the two.
Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085747.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085725.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085727.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085729.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085731.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085749.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085752.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20231022_085754.jpg

Quote:
This line has a capacity of making 1 lakh vehicles each year.

Fun fact: A total of 93 variants of Maruti Suzuki Jimny are manufactured here including many for left hand drive markets. India gets just 4 of these variants.

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd October 2023 at 09:02.
Venkatesh is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 09:15   #2151
BHPian

Jimny is no doubt a niche product that turn heads. When a product of a mass market manufacturer is visually so appealing which is a lifestyle offering and mechanically well sorted out as well, it is expected that it will be priced with a premium. What’s the amount of premium will be determined by the market and there is nothing wrong in price corrections based on the market reactions. We see lot of introductory prices to woo customers initially and based on the demand, the same undergoes a change/upward correction. The converse also holds good.
But what I expect from Maruti is that given so much of interest in the car from cities, they should now be looking to offer a 2WD with more useful features which will enable the car to retain its secondary core strengths (niche/exclusivity/lifestyle/small footprint etc…) that will also offer more practicality for the urban use-case as a daily driver and above all will bring the price down considerably.
CArspeed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 11:10   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
Yours truly was fortunate enough to take delivery of his Yellow Jimny Alpha MT today. The adrenaline is still not fully worn off as I write this post. I really enjoyed driving it around ~35 kilometers so far, from the showroom to home. So far I haven't shown it off a lot but everyone I met has really liked the looks of this. Plus, it has a cute vibe instead of the masculine vibe of other jeeps. Will post an initial ownership review thread soon.

Attachment 2519093
Congratulations. Your green Jimny & shirt both are akin to Goa! Wish you an amazing ownership. Jimny + Goa, let's swap our lives

Last edited by VWAllstar : 22nd October 2023 at 11:11.
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 12:46   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Nexa is showcasing the Maruti Jimny at various shopping malls recently. Given the dwindling interest and general demand for the vehicle, discounts are high on offer.

I had a chance to step inside the Jimny and for my height of 5,11, the footwell felt cramped even compared to Maruti's own Ignis.

Don't get me wrong, but this is not a family vehicle or a primary vehicle.

The only use case that I can see of this vehicle is the Army (need a 4x4 yet agile and light vehicle) and as an alternative to 4x4 That until the Thar 5 door is out.

Nail on the coffin is the lame engine and gearbox and lack of features, the discounts were coming.
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 16:04   #2154
BHPian

I must say I would feel a bit cheated if 2 months down the line someone is buying the same car a lakh cheaper. Atleast Maruti should do an official price cut and refund money.
IB290 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 17:36   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Off-Road Day 2023 ft. Jimny, XUV700, Hilux, Grand Vitara, Tucson and more!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=dAuF...l=AutocarIndia
It was very painful to see such below average drivers testing such capable cars and then giving their views on them. Some of those cars could not make it through obstacle 1 because of their lame driving skills rather than the car's capability. Having said that, it is obvious that long wheel base soft roaders will not perform as well as the 4x4s.

I have some fairly extensive experience of driving the Hilux and the Jimny. Needless to say, they are effortless to drive through bad terrains. I am going to Meghalaya in Nov end and will be driving through regions where there are no roads so I intend to hire a Thar 4x4 through FuFu cars. Lets see how that goes. First time driving the Thar.

About my garage, I am very careful on where I invest my money on cars. Therefore, I intend to wait till 2025-26 to see what kind of new car tech comes and will then buy a great allrounder (4x4 + highway drive). Until then, I contend with hiring great cars for my tough road trips and have a humble Grand i10 automatic (the older model with torque converter) and an even more humble but SUPERBLY FUN to drive Tata Nano Genx. I just love changing those gears in the Nano and taking it on drives through narrow state highways at slow but such fun speeds that allows one to soak in the views.
sjain2054 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 18:52   #2156
BHPian

Even with the current discounts, the Jimny still feels a lakh or two overpriced.

Wonder what the folks at MSIL were thinking while pricing this product. Just because you added 2 extra doors doesn't mean that you can price it at a premium. A true blooded Jimny user with the hardcore 4X4 usage would have bought the 2 door version also had you introduced it, the extra 2-doors will only appeal to the wider audience if you price it right in the first place.

I am glad the sales number reflect the sub-standard demand that the Jimny is enjoying.

That said it won't affect MSIL much IMO, as in the future they will produce Jimny that's more export oriented. The discount right now I feel are only so as to get rid of the inventory that the dealers are sitting with.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 01:19   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Nexa is showcasing the Maruti Jimny at various shopping malls recently. Given the dwindling interest and general demand for the vehicle, discounts are high on offer.

I had a chance to step inside the Jimny and for my height of 5,11, the footwell felt cramped even compared to Maruti's own Ignis.
I am a 6 feeter and 93 kg body weight driver. Drove the Jimny Alpha AT from Gurgaon to Dalhousie, Khajjiar to Gurgaon, Gurgaon to Lucknow, Lucknow to Gurgaon without getting tired. I never felt the driver's footwell is too cramped.

During the expressway drives for these above mentioned sections, drove my Jimny at 100 kmph on cruise control. And there was absolutely no problem. I am a sedate driver and don't need German/ Czech sedan characteristics and dynamics in my BOF 4x4 boxy shaped Jimny. Otherwise, I can do zig zag through the trucks or overtake slow moving trucks safely with OD-off.

Enough of these pseduo reviews after checking out the stationary Jimny at Shopping malls or NEXA showrooms. Please get a real test drive for 20-30 kms or ask your Jimny owner friend to lend it to you for a day and then post a proper review instead of posting your perception about this 4x4 vehicle.

I am not an off-roading enthusiast. I needed a relatively well built vehicle which can easily be driven through extremely bad roads of Gurgaon and an occasional AWD capability for not so aggressive off-the-tarmac adventures, with Automatic Transmission, within my budget of 14-15 lakhs. There was no Petrol engine AWD+AT available in India below 20 lakhs. Hence, I am driving a Jimny today.

This is my primary and only car.

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd October 2023 at 06:10. Reason: Please don’t mention illegal speeds.
RijuC is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 10:39   #2158
BHPian

First, Jimny has some ergonomic issues I feel. No driver seat height adjust, no place to hold water bottles, cramped rear seats, 80-profile tyres which has increased the GC to a larger extent. Now you may ask how this is going to affect off-road enthusiasts but then people are quite surprised that Maruti is doing this, as they are generally known for having things in place.

Secondly, I was in a NEXA dealer showroom for many hours on 3 different days, while buying my XL6. Surprisingly, I didn't see much footfalls in the showroom, it was very sparse. Maruti showrooms used to be busy with customers but here I was seeing the opposite. There was only one delivery in 4-hour timeline I saw and probably 3-4 people coming in to enquire about new car. Is it a general trend or is it only that people find NEXA cars unappealing - I am not sure.
gopalnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:36   #2159
BHPian

I believe the initial MOJO of buying a 4X4 as a show-off (even though people are having 100% city driving usage) has dwindled. Thar took advantage of it to the most, but Jimny could not.
Old 23rd October 2023, 14:44   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I am not sure why we are even discussing about discounts.......
Seriously? A product which was hyped to have more bookings after price launch offering discounts within months is normal?

https://www.cartoq.com/maruti-suzuki...-announcement/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
I must say I would feel a bit cheated if 2 months down the line someone is buying the same car a lakh cheaper. Atleast Maruti should do an official price cut and refund money.
The above quote sum up my grievance. Most of the Jimny owners now (especially in this forum) would have bought the Jimny any which way. These are the brand loyalists. I find it painful that Maruti would have deceived these loyalists intentionally with false information regarding the massive bookings and the long waiting periods of more than a year when clearly, that was not the case. I'm pretty sure that Maruti would have known about the stock and demand scenario as soon as the prices came out. I'm also sure that Maruti would have known about the cancellations. It is a very bitter pill to swallow when Maruti treats it's product loyalists this way. And I repeat again, I still love my Jimny to bits.
Neil Roy is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks