Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2023, 10:58   #2131
BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Facebook post from a Kerla Nexa salesman claims a cash discount of INR 60k and exchange benefits of 50 k on Jimny. Are the offers rolled out for other states as well?
hydraulicsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 11:04   #2132
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Facebook post from a Kerla Nexa salesman claims a cash discount of INR 60k and exchange benefits of 50 k on Jimny. Are the offers rolled out for other states as well?
Yes, festive offer for the Zeta variant!

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0929.jpeg

Link (Maruti Jimny Review)
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 12:41   #2133
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I just received this a moment ago in the whatsapp from the local Nexa chaps.
I don't really want to speculate but can’t help thinking; is it that Maruti is unable to sell Jimny at the present price?
Or is it the general pre-disposition of the Indian Consumer-at-large, towards ‘Road Presence’ and ‘Butch-ness’ that drives people ‘Thar-wards’ rather than ‘Jimny-wards’?
A hundred Grand off is nice and attractive for sure.
As I kept wailing from the first time that the prices were announced, the Jimny is priced by atleast a couple of lacs higher than what it is worth for the Indian mentality?
Do I regret buying the Jimny? -No.
Do I regret buying the Jimny as soon as it was launched?- hell yeah.
Jimny will bomb in the Indian market. I'm 100% sure of that. The typical indianness is not there in the Jimny. The Jimny is small, underpowered and has abysmal city mileage in it's stock form.
I only wish that I had waited longer to lay my hands on the Jimny. A premium of 1 lac with indications that it will not set the sales charts on fire is a sure indicator that irrespective of the price, it wont sell huge numbers and further dealer discounts can be easily expected. I blame Maruti for giving the false narrative that bookings are going through roof when, barely within 5 months of launch, they are offering huge discounts. Makes us early owners look like Jackasses. And i repeat again, I would have bought the Jimny anyway.It is a no nonsense, go anywhere with basic comforts cute little toy which does not have a space in our market.
Jimny once again proves that the Indian market is a totally different kettle. The international demand and waiting periods for Jimny is crazy but here in India, they are doing stock clearance.
Neil Roy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 14:44   #2134

there will be more discounts coming in a few days, also expecting a few year end offers too
Jimny is a must own car before MSIL decides to pull the plug
Old 21st October 2023, 14:48   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Jimny will bomb in the Indian market. I'm 100% sure of that. The typical indianness is not there in the Jimny. The Jimny is small, underpowered and has abysmal city mileage in its stock form.
I only wish that I had waited longer to lay my hands on the Jimny. A premium of 1 lac with indications that it will not set the sales charts on fire is a sure indicator that irrespective of the price, it wont sell huge numbers and further dealer discounts can be easily expected. I blame Maruti for giving the false narrative that bookings are going through roof when, barely within 5 months of launch, they are offering huge discounts.
I feel your pain, as an early adopter as well. I too have always maintained that MSIL misjudged the potential of the Jimmy just because they managed to add two more doors to the international hit. I’m not debating that going by international prices, the 5-door for India is quite well-aligned, but experienced as they are from their own sales failures of brilliant models, Maruti really needed to gauge the response with an ‘introductory offer’ instead of being brash about. Going for a price correction doesn’t help consumer perception in the long run - and one doesn’t need to look further than the S-cross to know that.

The Jimny already came with a few obvious Achilles Heel for the Indian market - no diesel, compact form and a non-turbo, mild motor. A quick look at successful SUV’s/crossovers in the price segment will reveal that every one of them have at least a diesel or a turbocharger. And even the lower selling petrol Thar has turbo and size on its side. So, that basically leaves the Jimny as a far outlier. All’s not over though. The Jimny can still remain a slow-burn lower volume seller and gradually gain traction in the next two years as more and more buyers move away from diesel. I have no Buyers regret though. Hit or not, I wouldn’t have bought any other option in the current market. It’s just got so much character and legacy. One thing I can’t understand is why so many complain about poor city-mileage. I live in the NCR and regularly get above 13 on weekdays and above 15 in weekend traffic. In my case, I achieve this by simply being relaxed on the throttle. There’s really no point in wringing the neck on this mild mannered Clark Kent. There’s no one in red underpants beneath

Last edited by SUVolens : 21st October 2023 at 14:50.
SUVolens is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 15:09   #2136
Team-BHP Support

They've got too many Zetas in stock, while most urban sales seem to be Alpha ATs. There are no offers being made on Alpha variants except their bog standard 20k exchange bonus, which is in line with most of their model line-up.

Maruti seem to have overestimated their variant production mix one way while buyer preference seems to have swung the other.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 15:52   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They've got too many Zetas in stock, while most urban sales seem to be Alpha ATs. There are no offers being made on Alpha variants except their bog standard 20k exchange bonus, which is in line with most of their model line-up.

Maruti seem to have overestimated their variant production mix one way while buyer preference seems to have swung the other.
Aha! The Soup has thickened then.
Personally I love the Zeta and its cool Steel Wheels.
But I prefer the Alpha only on account of the Headlamp Washers and the Cruise Control.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 16:48   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Aha! The Soup has thickened then.
Personally I love the Zeta and its cool Steel Wheels.
But I prefer the Alpha only on account of the Headlamp Washers and the Cruise Control.
All the more reason for you to have a Jimny addition to your garage. Steelies are really good looking and I would prefer them over the OE alloys.
Old 21st October 2023, 16:54   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the more reason for you to have a Jimny addition to your garage. Steelies are really good looking and I would prefer them over the OE alloys.
I like the Jimny. But don’t have a need for it.
In fact I definitely don’t need all the vehicles I have.
I only need one all rounder.
Right now it is all pure passion indulgence.

For now, I’ll play with my WRONGLER….(Thar)
Maybe when I get tired of that, the Jimny will be the next.

But then, as an aside, there is some talk of a new Toyota Small Land Hopper or something. From the pictures it looks like a baby Bronco..

That may also be a worthy buy.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st October 2023 at 16:56.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 17:05   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Jimny once again proves that the Indian market is a totally different kettle. The international demand and waiting periods for Jimny is crazy but here in India, they are doing stock clearance.
Sell it starting 9L instead of 13L, I am sure the roads will be choked with these goats.
It would gobble up the sales of many other (highly profitable) models.
NT_GT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 18:34   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quick test drive feedback on the Jimny AT.

We are not actively looking out for a new car, bought a Compass Diesel AT 4x4 a year ago and my wife has a 2018 Elite i20, ideally we replace cars between 5-6 years so the i20 is due for replacement next year, preferably with an AT.

So, my wife’s 10km daily city run doesn’t really call for a car like the Jimny, but i was bombarded with calls from Nexa and I just thought lets take a test drive anyway ( obviously the festive offer of 50k exchange bonus plus 50k customer discount played on my mind).

The test drive was a short one, but this was on a bad stretch in which I had tried out the Scorpio-N, XUV700 and the Jeep Compass before finally settling down on the Compass. So its a road that that im sort of accustomed to. The ride in the Jimny is a bit bumpy, and if you are in the back seat you would get tossed around as is the case with most ladder on frame cars.

Anyway, the Jimny felt reasonably well built relative to say something like a Fronx or the Baleno etc. The petrol engine is smooth, the gearbox even though outdated is more than adequate for city runs and it even responded well when i floored the pedal. Extremely smooth combination.

However, the interior space management is not that great, ergonomics are a bit off. The rear seat is a joke, not because its a 4 seater overall, but the rear seats dont have any thigh support at all.

The Jimny is a great car if you want it for its utility. Its not an all-rounder by any stretch. Families are better off buying cars like the Nexon and saving a few lakhs.

I couldn’t just comprehend that the Jimny base AT costs nearly 18 lakhs on road in Bangalore! The top end is nearly 19.5 lakhs!

Before anyone jumps the gun, yes, I know, the jimny is great as an off-roader, and it is. I just want to caution the family folks not to fall for the Jimny based on its looks. Your use case should be very different if you buy the Jimny. City runs? Look elsewhere!

Last edited by motorworks : 21st October 2023 at 18:42.
motorworks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 20:14   #2142
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-Road Day 2023 ft. Jimny, XUV700, Hilux, Grand Vitara, Tucson and more!

volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 23:46   #2143
BHPian

Well as a proud jimny owner I have no regrets buying the vehicle early. However, my only worry is I plan to drive this for the next 10 to 15 years atleast..
So what happens to spares of Maruti decides to pull the plug in India?

On a side note I have seen that good vehicles never succeed in India... I owned Tigor JTP and now also own Nano... But Indian public never appreciate good stuff for some strange reason . Some guys may blame marketing etc... All i am saying is most people don't see great value.
power ranger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 23:55   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
If Maruti pulls the plug in India, then we must have got air taxis and a fit country who prefers to walk or jog to places.
VWAllstar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 04:55   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post

On a side note I have seen that good vehicles never succeed in India... I owned Tigor JTP and now also own Nano... But Indian public neveru appreciate good stuff for some strange reason . Some guys may blame marketing etc... All i am saying is most people don't see great value.
Maruti Suzuki India alone is bigger than their ‘Parent’ in their world wide operations. No immediate danger of Suzuki vanishing from the sub continent.

To your point on these ‘good vehicles not selling in India’; our Indian mass market consumers (irrespective of whatever impression they seek to create about being knowledgeable, sophisticated enthusiasts and all), in general, will always look for a combination of size, utility, convenience, prestige, lots of features and gizmos, lots of freebies and fanfare at the time of purchase, absolute reliability, superlative, yet inexpensive after sales service and ongoing running costs and maintenance, all packed into a mouth-wateringly accessible purchase price.
And this segment provides the bread and butter volume to any manufacturer.

It is also true that Maruti per se, is not expert at handling ‘Premium/ Prestige’. That’s why they have brought very few of Suzuki’s successful International models here and several of those that they did bring, simply sold in smaller numbers and only sold to an appreciative ‘niche’ consumer. Example; the two or three generations of Grand Vitara, the Kizashi and now perhaps the Jimny too.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd October 2023 at 05:04.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks