Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2023, 18:13   #2086
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
It’s not so much of a bug as an UI issue. There is no off-button for the radio. In other cars, switching off the head-unit switches off everything. In here, it just goes to a screensaver mode with the audio continuing in the background. Or that’s how it seems to me.
The power button on Maruti Smartplay ICEs double up as display off buttons. Single tap for display off/screensaver mode, tap & hold to power off.

These also seem to love starting up in radio mode by default.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 20:23   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hi. Does anyone here know how to silence the radio in the Jimny? Once radio/FM is selected, I can’t seem to stop playback other than by reducing volume or muting it or switching on CarPlay and stopping the played song. Doesn’t the radio have a similar ‘stop’ button?
Click on the ♫ button at the bottom left. There are multiple options such as FM, AM AV and an off option. It was not very intuitive to find at first.
kesh4munni is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 08:11   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The power button on Maruti Smartplay ICEs double up as display off buttons. Single tap for display off/screensaver mode, tap & hold to power off.

These also seem to love starting up in radio mode by default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
Click on the ♫ button at the bottom left. There are multiple options such as FM, AM AV and an off option. It was not very intuitive to find at first.
Both these suggestions work! Thanks guys. Yeah, not the most intuitive, but I should’ve also explored harder
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 12:23   #2089
BHPian

Has anyone installed side steps for the Jimny or rock sliders with a side step? Some of the shorter family members are voicing the need for one, especially for the back seat.
Old 15th October 2023, 15:18   #2090
Senior - BHPian

A 3000+ Km update by your's truly!
gsferrari is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 16:28   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
https://Youtu.be/U5IGGZKfRI0?si=0Z4UWgNexcVyp5Za

Very useful and relatable review. Thanks for sharing.
Can you provide details of the EVC throttle controller as to how you sourced it? Direct from manufacturer or from a Indian dealer?
cogWheel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 16:33   #2092
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to set the voice assistant button on the steering wheel to pull up Google assistant when Android auto is being used ? The inbuilt Suzuki assistant is the one waking up now.
Old 15th October 2023, 17:32   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Is it possible to set the voice assistant button on the steering wheel to pull up Google assistant when Android auto is being used ? The inbuilt Suzuki assistant is the one waking up now.
Long holding the voice control button used to do the trick in my old Baleno with the older Smartplay unit. I assume the same should work for the Jimny as well.
Abhinav_2502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 19:16   #2094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Very useful and relatable review. Thanks for sharing.
Can you provide details of the EVC throttle controller as to how you sourced it? Direct from manufacturer or from a Indian dealer?
Someone here had posted a contact for the EVC dealer based in Bangalore "Tapasvi Racing".

I called the phone number shared in that post and got the unit in a few days: 9930777800
gsferrari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 10:22   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:

This is a balanced and factual review.
Looks like your carefully thought out additions and enhancements are providing the desired results.
The Jimny is at the end of the day a proven and accomplished vehicle in its own right. These enhancements only help to make it better.
Thanks for sharing this Guru.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 13:27   #2096
BHPian

Quote:

Really enjoyed the video especially as a new Jimny owner. I am glad that we have you in teambhp representing truly “Live to Drive” slogan. You are good at articulating the true driving experience from the sophisticated features in modern cars and identifying the pros and cons.

I have a great respect to the R&D of the Japanese cars and I had an opportunity to be amongst them as part of my IT consulting job in USA facility. They take their passion to another level. They make sure that the products they launch are the most efficient and functionally very effective to the most of the end users. I hope the next facelift of Jimny would consider some of your thoughts to make it a better product.

One more important aspect, I want from you is your perspective on how bad is the big turning radius for Jimny in city driving and tight parking places. The turning radius is bigger than my 2 previous cars such as Scorpio and Crysta. May be the 4X4 hardware is forcing the large turning radius to an apparently small looking Jimny.

I have my doubts on how many Jimny owners growing at 4000 per month including me know how to correctly use the 4D and 4L in every day situations. For e.g. I saw in one of you tube videos that it is a blunder to take a u turn in 4D option.

Last edited by Mystic : 16th October 2023 at 13:36.
Mystic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 14:34   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
... I saw in one of you tube videos that it is a blunder to take a u turn in 4D option.
Never engage your 4WD on surface where there is good traction. Taking a u-turn on such surface is a big no.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 15:22   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Never engage your 4WD on surface where there is good traction. Taking a u-turn on such surface is a big no.
Thanks for your advice. Can you pls also clarify in the below video as I don’t seem to understand at 8:40 in the video. What I understand is that never turn in 4WD.How can we switch off 4WD during turning and engage when driving in straightforward. Isn’t this difficult to remember in an off road situation?

Last edited by Mystic : 16th October 2023 at 15:27.
Old 16th October 2023, 15:26   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is a balanced and factual review.

Thanks for sharing this Guru.
Thank you Shankar!

Quote:
Really enjoyed the video especially as a new Jimny owner. I am glad that we have you in teambhp representing truly “Live to Drive” slogan. You are good at articulating the true driving experience from the sophisticated features in modern cars and identifying the pros and cons.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
One more important aspect, I want from you is your perspective on how bad is the big turning radius for Jimny in city driving and tight parking places. The turning radius is bigger than my 2 previous cars such as Scorpio and Crysta. May be the 4X4 hardware is forcing the large turning radius to an apparently small looking Jimny.
The turning radius is definitely something to be aware of and position your car accordingly whenever you need to make a u-turn. The problem in India is that when you go wide, even if you indicate your intent to make a turn, our fellow citizens cannot resist going for that overtake or taking up the space you just vacated, often preventing you from making the u-turn while they wait for the traffic up ahead to move.

As a "people" we haven't grasped the concept of right-of-way and driving etiquette. You will frequently be in this situation with the Jimny.

These days I don't baulk at the prospect of doing 3-point turns and potentially blocking traffic in the process because it is every man for himself on our roads.

Quote:
Can you pls also clarify in the below video as I don’t seem to understand at 8:40 in the video. What I understand is that never turn in 4WD.How can we switch off 4WD during turning and engage when driving in straightforward. Isn’t this difficult to remember in an off road situation?
When you are off road it is ok be in 4L on as the surface will afford "slip" for the drivetrain. We don't disengage 4L once we head into the trail.

Last edited by gsferrari : 16th October 2023 at 15:29.
gsferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 16:05   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Excellent review post usage, Guru.

You mentioned the soft suspension at the rear ending in the car bottoming out under load. Would an addition like the Rogerab suspension buffer help improve the situation?
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks