Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 22:31   #2071
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Made-in-India Jimny 5-door exports commence.

Jimny 5-door is expected to be showcased at the Japan Mobility Show later this month.

Quote:
Jimny 5-door exported to the Middle East, Africa and Latin America regions
Will not be sold in Europe with petrol engine
Gets the same 1.5-litre petrol as the India-spec car
Suzuki Jimny EV will go on sale in Europe first.

Quote:
The SUV will go on sale with an electric powertrain in Europe first and will initially come in the 3-door body style. A 5-door Jimny EV is expected to follow suit later.
Maruti Jimny Review-20231011074651_asdadadsasda.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 09:18   #2072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
You don’t need MLD with the BLD present in any car - it is either/or not both. The Eaton is not compatible with any Suzuki cars with 25 splines axle. It may work with the Mahindra Thars though.
They can work together, or lets say BLD gives up and then its up to the MLD \ E-Diff locker to take care of things afterwards.

A nice article to read

Quote :

"When a wheel loses traction in a traction control system this does not indicate how much traction is available at the other wheel. How hard should the system apply the brakes? Only after the brake actuators are activated and the results are measured does the processor know whether too much or too little braking was applied, by checking the relative speeds between the two wheels when the brakes were applied. This system may initially not brake hard enough and under utilise the wheel with more traction. In this case the vehicle does not advance as well as it could have and loses some momentum. The system may brake too much and under utilise the wheel that had less traction, stopping it from spinning. Although having less traction, that wheel can still contribute to the motive force of the vehicle. Again the vehicle does not advance as well as it could have and loses some momentum.

What if one wheel has massive traction available and the other wheel has completely no traction? In this case the actuators on the traction control system may saturate (reach the limit of their braking capability). The wheel with massive traction might never receive sufficient torque and the vehicle is stuck."

Note : The author of this article prefers lockers but my own experience is that they both are required depends on what you are trying to do.
Old 12th October 2023, 11:22   #2073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They can work together, or lets say BLD gives up and then its up to the MLD \ E-Diff locker to take care of things afterwards.

A nice article to read

Quote :

"When a wheel loses traction in a traction control system this does not indicate how much traction is available at the other wheel. How hard should the system apply the brakes? Only after the brake actuators are activated and the results are measured does the processor know whether too much or too little braking was applied, by checking the relative speeds between the two wheels when the brakes were applied. This system may initially not brake hard enough and under utilise the wheel with more traction. In this case the vehicle does not advance as well as it could have and loses some momentum. The system may brake too much and under utilise the wheel that had less traction, stopping it from spinning. Although having less traction, that wheel can still contribute to the motive force of the vehicle. Again the vehicle does not advance as well as it could have and loses some momentum.

What if one wheel has massive traction available and the other wheel has completely no traction? In this case the actuators on the traction control system may saturate (reach the limit of their braking capability). The wheel with massive traction might never receive sufficient torque and the vehicle is stuck."

Note : The author of this article prefers lockers but my own experience is that they both are required depends on what you are trying to do.
Off-roading is highly dependent on momentum of the vehicle. The problem with BLD is - it waits for one wheel to spin freely before applying brakes. This happens when momentum is lost.

Torsen LSDs are helpful in such condition. The design Automatically transfers more power to wheel spinning at lower RPM before loosing the momentum and coming to standstill. Torsen LSDs behave like an open differential once stationary. So once vehicle is stationary and one wheel has lost traction, the other wheel will stop. But there is a way to still activate it by either pulling hand brake or tapping the brakes while giving power.

My Torsen LSDs are ready for Installation in my Jimny. I am waiting for new Gaskets in case old ones get damaged on opening. The rear Torsen LSD also has an E Lock. The front is only Torsen LSD. I just hope the Splines and Gear holes are the same as the international models and not changed by Maruti in India.
Lavs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 11:39   #2074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
Off-roading is highly dependent on momentum of the vehicle. The problem with BLD is - it waits for one wheel to spin freely before applying brakes. This happens when momentum is lost.

Torsen LSDs are helpful in such condition. The design Automatically transfers more power to wheel spinning at lower RPM before loosing the momentum and coming to standstill. Torsen LSDs behave like an open differential once stationary. So once vehicle is stationary and one wheel has lost traction, the other wheel will stop. But there is a way to still activate it by either pulling hand brake or tapping the brakes while giving power.
BLD or lets say offroad traction control systems from my observations, they act immediately hardly 1/4 of a turn, provided momentum is maintained. As the article says it may not be able to perform effectively all the time and that maybe true depends on the load and terrain. At this point the mechanical lockers are needed to either auto lock or manually lock the diff.

I have not heard of offroad vehicles using Torsen (in general), I think you are doing something amazing - please post pictures and give us more details, this is an interesting project.

I do not think you need to tap the brakes if BLD is doing it for you, perhaps it would help the functioning of Torsen diff.
Old 12th October 2023, 13:05   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
BLD or lets say offroad traction control systems from my observations, they act immediately hardly 1/4 of a turn, provided momentum is maintained. As the article says it may not be able to perform effectively all the time and that maybe true depends on the load and terrain. At this point the mechanical lockers are needed to either auto lock or manually lock the diff.

I have not heard of offroad vehicles using Torsen (in general), I think you are doing something amazing - please post pictures and give us more details, this is an interesting project.

I do not think you need to tap the brakes if BLD is doing it for you, perhaps it would help the functioning of Torsen diff.
Exactly dear. Torsen LSDs I understand have been used in US Army vehicles where BLD was not there. So they used to tap brakes for power transfer to stationary wheel.

In our case BLD does the job.

But for extreme conditions lunch box lockers would be great.
Old 13th October 2023, 00:37   #2076
BHPian

An extremely odd event occurred with the HSRP for my Jimny. The hologram sticker carries the right registration number but the corresponding plates have a different registration number (although the serial number on the plates matched the ones mentioned in three sticker). Had someone ever seen something like this?
Old 13th October 2023, 16:23   #2077
BANNED

Quote:

A nice article to read

I think you are confusing MLDs with Lockers - they are two different things!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
My Torsen LSDs are ready for Installation in my Jimny. I am waiting for new Gaskets in case old ones get damaged on opening. The rear Torsen LSD also has an E Lock. The front is only Torsen LSD. I just hope the Splines and Gear holes are the same as the international models and not changed by Maruti in India.
I already use Torsten LSD in my Gypsy. They saved my life once at Pangong lake where I risked falling backwards off a 7ft ledge on a 40deg incline due to bad reversing decision in fading light (together with a tempo load of laborers that stopped to help put rocks under my wheels - my respect and regards for them) Which one did you get?
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 19:30   #2078
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki to export 5 door Jimny to Japan.

Although the Jimny will be making its way to Japan – the made-in-India model is even slated to debut at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show. The 5 door Jimny will also be launched in Japan, but in some time.

Quote:
5-door Jimny to be showcased at Tokyo motor show
3-door Jimny production stopped in India
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231013-193242.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231013-193300.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231013-193213.png

Maruti Jimny Review-20231013071411_webai_1_-_1_.jpg

It's also being exported to markets in Africa and South America.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th October 2023 at 19:36.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 19:32   #2079
BHPian

Quote:

I already use Torsten LSD in my Gypsy. They saved my life once at Pangong lake where I risked falling backwards off a 7ft ledge on a 40deg incline due to bad reversing decision in fading light (together with a tempo load of laborers that stopped to help put rocks under my wheels - my respect and regards for them) Which one did you get?
The ones that sell in Japan and Phillipines. Probably made in China.

Will share pictures once I unbox them.
Old 13th October 2023, 21:27   #2080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am familiar with MLD \ Lockers etc but Torsen is different. I was not aware that Torsen retrofit kits are available in the aftermarket - Or - we are talking talking about a normal LSD which is not Torsen.

Old 13th October 2023, 21:52   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
I am familiar with MLD \ Lockers etc but Torsen is different. I was not aware that Torsen retrofit kits are available in the aftermarket - Or - we are talking talking about a normal LSD which is not Torsen.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A&t=254s
This is what we are talking about. Now add an E Lock to this and you have something perfect.

The gears can be differently placed in different designs. I will share anotger design picture here.

Maruti Jimny Review-torsen.png

The gears in red are torsen gears

Name:  LSDElectric Locker2.png
Views: 774
Size:  90.3 KB

Another picture.

Cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2023 at 15:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Lavs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 13:20   #2082
BHPian

Hi. Does anyone here know how to silence the radio in the Jimny? Once radio/FM is selected, I can’t seem to stop playback other than by reducing volume or muting it or switching on CarPlay and stopping the played song. Doesn’t the radio have a similar ‘stop’ button?
Old 14th October 2023, 13:21   #2083
BHPian

Glad to see that Jimnys are being exported from India to Australia and Japan. That's great for Indian manufacturing.

I wonder to what extent there is version parity between the cars we get in India and the ones being exported? Would be interesting to see the reviews of these cars from these two countries.
Old 14th October 2023, 15:07   #2084
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hi. Does anyone here know how to silence the radio in the Jimny? Once radio/FM is selected, I can’t seem to stop playback other than by reducing volume or muting it or switching on CarPlay and stopping the played song. Doesn’t the radio have a similar ‘stop’ button?
I saw the same problem once when I accidentally switched to the radio. I was trying concentrate on driving while fiddling with it so I don’t remember how I managed to break out of that stuck menu - but I suspect I disconnected and reconnected. Looks like a software bug.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 18:08   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
I saw the same problem once when I accidentally switched to the radio. I was trying concentrate on driving while fiddling with it so I don’t remember how I managed to break out of that stuck menu - but I suspect I disconnected and reconnected. Looks like a software bug.
It’s not so much of a bug as an UI issue. There is no off-button for the radio. In other cars, switching off the head-unit switches off everything. In here, it just goes to a screensaver mode with the audio continuing in the background. Or that’s how it seems to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks