Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2023, 16:50   #2041
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

A short video covering the installation of Ironman 4x4 Nitrogas 50mm suspension lift kit and an ARB off-road metal bullbar bumper replica.

Old 6th October 2023, 17:33   #2042
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

3) gravel/broken roads ride - A bit too stiff in my opinion, we are planning to adjust the dampers and check. Will update here once had a chance to do that

Thanks for the sharing. Please do update once you have had a chance to drive the Jimny after adjusting the damping of the shocks.

Another question - Has your friend upgraded tyres? To what size? If he has upgraded to 235/75/R15 - then is the 20 mm lift enough to fit snow chains, etc?

Old 7th October 2023, 01:28   #2043
BHPian

How is the car doing in terms of sales? I do not see many on the road. Also got a call from the dealer for a Jimny promotional event and some discounts on offer.

Really love the car. But other than the enthusiasts, I am not seeing it gain much enthusiasm. Possibly due to the pricing.
Old 7th October 2023, 07:26   #2044
BHPian

Jimny has been consistently doing numbers above 3000 units per month. I can’t understand how a manufacturer can skimp on so many useful features. Off late I see buyers seeing value even in overpriced cars (which Jimny is) provided it gives them niche or exclusivity (which Jimny gives).
I believe the Jimny should see a ‘feature’ upgrade in case the volumes are not doing enough compared to the internal target volumes.
Old 7th October 2023, 10:02   #2045
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
How is the car doing in terms of sales? I do not see many on the road. Also got a call from the dealer for a Jimny promotional event and some discounts on offer.

Really love the car. But other than the enthusiasts, I am not seeing it gain much enthusiasm. Possibly due to the pricing.
It will remain an enthusiast car.

Average Indian car buyer will buy one of the dozen other options in the market - bigger cars for the same price loaded with features. Even if they wanted a Jeep kind of car, they will go for the 'badi gaddi' jeep option (you know which one).

But to the question whether it's priced high - I will say that it's underpriced. Two reasons for that. Firstly, its built to export spec and not to typical Indian car standards. When you drive it, you know it's more like an imported CKD car, than like an Indian manufactured Creta or Grand Vitara or Thar. Secondly, in terms of capability - it beats every car even two or three segments above.

But these are finer nuances which will only be noticed by enthusiasts. The average car buyer will never understand. And that's perfect dynamics for an enthusiast owner of a Jimny. You know that you belong to an exclusive club of owners who bought their car for what it is. Not to a club of wannabees who mostly bought their car to show off to family, friends, relatives and colleagues.
PYSO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 11:01   #2046
Distinguished - BHPian

For those looking at Jimny sale figures, here is the data. Internal set figures were 2500-3000/month.

Name:  Screenshot 20231007 105943.png
Views: 1186
Size:  3.3 KB
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 15:30   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For those looking at Jimny sale figures, here is the data. Internal set figures were 2500-3000/month.

Attachment 2514032
My guess is that the sales will fall further in the coming months. It might settle around 1000-1500 units a month unless Maruti gives some good discount to push the Jimny.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 19:41   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
It will remain an enthusiast car.

Average Indian car buyer will buy one of the dozen other options in the market - bigger cars for the same price loaded with features. Even if they wanted a Jeep kind of car, they will go for the 'badi gaddi' jeep option (you know which one).
From a buyers perspective, it will always have a section of owners who will want to get it. However enthusiasts have never kept a brand alive. It is the overall sales.

I am talking from a business perspective. If Suzuki wanted to just target the niche segment, they would have simply launched the 3 door version. Which they have not. They have invested substantially to get this car out in India.

If the sales are dropping by ~15% MoM, it is concerning for me. If it is not as per their targets, I think we will have more discounts and a price reduction happening.
omar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 20:58   #2049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From a buyers perspective, it will always have a section of owners who will want to get it. However enthusiasts have never kept a brand alive. It is the overall sales.

I am talking from a business perspective. If Suzuki wanted to just target the niche segment, they would have simply launched the 3 door version. Which they have not. They have invested substantially to get this car out in India.

If the sales are dropping by ~15% MoM, it is concerning for me. If it is not as per their targets, I think we will have more discounts and a price reduction happening.
A paradox nevertheless - enthusiasts or sales?!, imagine if 2 door Jimny was available and it was a popular vehicle , most likely its biggest drawback for those who are not it's target market would be - lack of 2 more doors

If Maruti adds 2 more doors, now Jimny appeals to those who want a 4x4 SUV in terms of utility however ends up buying the Jimny instead , largely due to lack of choice at that price. It's not the right market for it.

I hope M&M understands this and adds plenty of creature comforts and SUVize Thar 4 door, in other words as close to ScorpioN as possible while looking like a Thar.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 01:35   #2050
BHPian

Quote:

May be Suzuki had anticipated it but they must be banking on the sales figures in other countries like ANZ and SA where Jimny is a cult and 5 Door Jimny will be a hit. May be they wont reduce Indian prices but will keep domestic production low and target more for export to compensate.

Just want to see how they manage the niggles found by Indian customers like Seat belt sensors missing at rear, Option for engine auto start/stop, cold weather braking and also interested to know if build quality will be any different etc. compared to those International markets where 5D is launched.
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 01:47   #2051
BHPian

Quote:

Thankfully, India is not the only market for the Jimny. Jimny 3 door is already selling at a premium in international markets. They can't wait enough for the 5 door to launch there. Once the Indian demand fizzles out, Maruti will look at international waters to fill their numbers. We should be thankful for the privilege of having this launched first in India while the world waits with eager eyes!
R.Daroga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 02:33   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A paradox nevertheless - enthusiasts or sales?!,
I agree, if the two door variant was launched, some would also complain about it not being practical. Since Suzuki have added the two doors, and made it more practical. I hence feel, they are perhaps also looking at sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
May be Suzuki had anticipated it but they must be banking on the sales figures in other countries like ANZ and SA where Jimny is a cult and 5 Door Jimny will be a hit. May be they wont reduce Indian prices but will keep domestic production low and target more for export to compensate.
I would hope for the benefit of the Indian consumers, that is not the case, and they are concerned about their sales numbers, not just exports.
A well priced Jimny will have many takers. There is simply more perceived value for money in the current price range, from the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Thankfully, India is not the only market for the Jimny. Jimny 3 door is already selling at a premium in international markets. They can't wait enough for the 5 door to launch there. Once the Indian demand fizzles out, Maruti will look at international waters to fill their numbers. We should be thankful for the privilege of having this launched first in India while the world waits with eager eyes!
The international markets do not have a competitor such as the Thar in the price range. It will hence do well. India is very different. I disagree it is a privilege. The car was launched two years too late. They should have launched it after the 2020 Auto expo. No one other than the enthusiasts or fans see such cars with rose tinted glasses. VFM is the name of the game for the general public, which the car does not seem to be at the current price point. All this is invalid if Suzuki see it as a niche product and are happy with the sales numbers, of course.
omar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 10:38   #2053
BHPian

The dichotomy, though, is that it still has a long waiting. I had to chase them continuously for 2 months to get the delivery last week.
Old 8th October 2023, 13:07   #2054
BHPian

Quote:

The international markets do not have a competitor such as the Thar in the price range. It will hence do well. India is very different. I disagree it is a privilege. The car was launched two years too late. They should have launched it after the 2020 Auto expo. No one other than the enthusiasts or fans see such cars with rose tinted glasses. VFM is the name of the game for the general public, which the car does not seem to be at the current price point. All this is invalid if Suzuki see it as a niche product and are happy with the sales numbers, of course.

I'll tell you where I'm coming from. I was all set to buy the current Thar. It's just me, my wife and my little daughter in my family and this would be our only car. My wife didn't budge and I understand why. She would be the one having the adjust the most, getting up every time someone needs to enter or exit from the rear seats. Basically, the lack of a usable boot and the rear doors were the major deal breakers. She was ok waiting for the Thar 5 door. Given that a top end Scorpio N 4*4 goes to 30 lakhs on road, even if the Thar 5 door massively undercuts it, the Thar would be priced nothing less than 24-26 lakhs on road. I test drove the Jimny just for the heck of it and got blown away by just how well it is built and how well it rides. It ticks all boxes for me except for brute power. I was ok making that sacrifice and got home the Jimny.

The point is, Thar vs Jimny is not an apples to apples comparison. There will be at least an 8 lakhs delta between the two.
R.Daroga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 19:13   #2055
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny now goes after Ford Bronco:

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231008-190129.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231008-190102.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231008-185924.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231008-185959.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20231008-190200.png

Quote:
The kit that converts the boxy Suzuki Jimny into a mini-me Ford Bronco includes a custom grille, a pair of headlights with LED strips, and a redesigned front bumper.
Quote:
Beyond its impressive off-road chops, this tiny SUV has another trick up its sleeves; it’s like a chameleon when it comes to changing its looks. It’s been transformed into a pint-sized Mercedes G-Class, a Land Rover Defender, and even a mini-classic Ford Bronco.
Quote:
The Jimny Bron55 kit includes a distinctive grille proudly bearing the “BRON55” emblem, which from a distance could easily be mistaken for “BRONCO.” It also comes with a new set of round headlights featuring horizontal LED strips and a rugged bumper that exudes off-road toughness. It’s like viewing miniaturized versions of the actual Bronco components.

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks