Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2023, 06:59   #1981

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimny_svm View Post
Just found both left side alloys bent in my Jimny! Maruti Suzuki didn't improve their quality even for a global product. My car has just done 4900 kms. Such cheap quality not expected for a global product. Please guide me how to proceed. I have already raised the issue with dealer, they will raise FTIR. Please help!
Just an update guys, my rims got changed under warranty as there was no hitting marks!
Jimny_svm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 13:02   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
Request you to provide with all the deets on the tough dog suspension. Prices, what all included in the kit et al.
What I was looking for : An aftermarket suspension for the Jimny to help improve its overall ride quality , handling & off-road performance.

Buying Decision : The factors considered were :
  1. Ride Comfort
  2. Handling and Stability
  3. Off-Road Performance
  4. Durability and Reliability
  5. User Feedback
  6. Local Warranty and Spares availability
Three brands were considered primarily : Iron Man, Old Man EMU & Tough Dog. All reputed Australian Brands with wide install bases in the 4X4 world.

All were almost identical in prices in Australia – all around AUD 1800 for similar configurations and 40 mm lift kit.

The general feedback on multiple forums and Facebook groups for Jimny was that Iron Man was that it was stiff on tar/city riding so dropped it.

Between Old man and Tough Dog was a divided house with Tough Dog having a slight edge as there was some feedback as well as feedback on Old Man EMU developing sag with time.

Also Tough Dog has Foam Cell Technology whereas Old Man EMU as well as Iron Man use Nitrogen Gas charged shocks a huge positive as it would most certainly effect the performance of the shock as foam cell shocks are developed for high heat environments and they typically do better than Nitrogen Gas charged shocks.

Also Tough Dog ticked all the boxes in the buying factors listed. Have dealt with Blue garage in the past many years back and the transaction was a pleasure. Had confidence on their support as well in times to come.

Purchase : Iron Man and Old man EMU were both priced around 1.40 lakhs whereas Tough Dog was at 96K. Really a no brainer on which one to choose.

Promptly ordered a Togh Dog 40 mm lift kit with Blue Garage – the Official Exclusive Partner for Tough Dog in India. Avinash (the owner of Blue garage and a fine gentleman) understood the urgency of the situation and promptly scheduled an installation the next day morning. Installation is another 8K - optional from them or your choice of installer, I chose to use their services.

We were all set to convert the “Little Jimny” to a not so little anymore Jimny……

The Kit: 40mm lift and included the following:

- Front & rear foam cell shock absorbers
- Front raised coils
- Rear raised coils
- Headlight module kit
- Brake hose kit (rear left)
- ABS relocation kit
- Crossmember kit
- Caster Correction Bushes

Installation : A time consuming but simple process – best explained in the photos below:

The Kit
Maruti Jimny Review-kit.jpeg

Shocks Comparison
Maruti Jimny Review-shocks-comp.jpeg

Springs Comparison
Maruti Jimny Review-springs-comp.jpeg

Front Shock
Maruti Jimny Review-front-shock.jpeg

Front Shock Install
Maruti Jimny Review-front-shock-install-.jpeg

Cross Member Drop Kit Installed
Maruti Jimny Review-cross-member-drop-kit-2.jpeg

Cross Member Drop Kit Installed
Maruti Jimny Review-cross-member-drop-kit-.jpeg

ABS Relocation Kit
Maruti Jimny Review-abs-relocation-kit.jpeg

After the installation went to Madhus for a must do alignment. The necessary corrections in alingment were made and we were all set. The ride is now heavenly. To misquote Kapil Dev's famous Palmolive advert with a twist : "Tough Dog da jawab nahi".

Result: The suspension is now firm but not hard resulting in much better road handling and lesser body roll even if it is 40 mm taller then before. Cornering has far less body roll and confidence inspiring even at high speeds. Where it shines is at descent speeds on the highway - it just sticks to the road. Travelling on gravel roads is much much smoother even at high speeds. Off road is to experience to believe the difference it has made. Getting the body a bit further away from the ground made clearing rocky obstacles much easier and less harsh on radial cups and side sills. It’s made the mountain goat now the one that a better goat than most – a pro if there was ever one.

Looks now: Jimny: Will let the photos do the talking - and did hear my Jimny whisper to me : "I'm no longer just a Jimny; I'm a Tough Jimny !"

In case you would like to contact Avinash his number is 98863 68999.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-rear-after-install.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-after-install-2.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-after-install.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd September 2023 at 14:59. Reason: Only two smileys allowed.
ShivC is online now   (71) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 19:48   #1983
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivC View Post

The Kit: 40mm lift and included the following:

- Front & rear foam cell shock absorbers
- Front raised coils
- Rear raised coils
- Headlight module kit
- Brake hose kit (rear left)
- ABS relocation kit
- Crossmember kit
- Caster Correction Bushes
Is there a steering damper included in the Tough Dog 40 mm kit? If not, then can it be purchased separately?

I think the Iron man 50 mm kit includes a steering damper.
Old 23rd September 2023, 20:42   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Is there a steering damper included in the Tough Dog 40 mm kit? If not, then can it be purchased separately?

I think the Iron man 50 mm kit includes a steering damper.
The Tough Dog standard kit does not have a steering damper and can be purchased separately.

I in fact did some digging up and don't think a 40 mm lift kit warrants one. This is purely my opinion and had kept the option open after fitting the standard kit. Do not think I need one after driving the Jimny both on road and some off road. Realised also the correct installation of the castor correction bushes is critical after whose installation the return to center performs really well.

However Tough Dog has 3 options's in steering dampers for the Jimny:

EXT STEERING DAMPER : Starting range and priced at about 10K.
Maruti Jimny Review-ext-steering-damper.png

RETURN TO CENTRE STEERING DAMPER : Mid Range priced at 12K - in stock currently
Maruti Jimny Review-return-centre-steering-damper.png

SV 9 STAGE ADJUSTABLE STEERING DAMPER : Top of the line and priced at about 14.2K
Maruti Jimny Review-sv-9-stage-adjustable-steering-damper.png

Iron man equivalent should be the first one in the range.
ShivC is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 20:53   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0831.jpeg
Jimny in valley of 5 colours. Pin Valley National Park, Spiti

Just completed a 2200km road trip in my Jimny in which we went from Gurgaon to Manali. Then Spiti via Kunzum Pass. I will try and find sometime to write a trip log and add it to the forum. Jimny was the perfect car for this adventure and we had a great time.

Last edited by quickdraw : 23rd September 2023 at 20:54.
quickdraw is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 23:54   #1986
BANNED

Quote:

Realised also the correct installation of the castor correction bushes is critical after whose installation the return to center performs really well.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I had two more questions.

(1) Are the front and/or rear shocks adjustable - Can the firmness of the shocks be adjusted?

(2) The website of Tough Dog doesn't mention Castor correction bushes as part of the standard kit. Did you order that extra or it came part of the kit?

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_2023092323240133_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 16:47   #1987
BHPian

Has anyone removed the catalytic converter? Wanted to know the performance improvement it brings and how much more sound it makes. Can it still stay under the legally permitted decibel levels?

Also, has anyone installed an aftermarket performance replacement filter? Wanted to know the performance improvement.
Old 24th September 2023, 18:59   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I had two more questions.

(1) Are the front and/or rear shocks adjustable - Can the firmness of the shocks be adjusted?

(2) The website of Tough Dog doesn't mention Castor correction bushes as part of the standard kit. Did you order that extra or it came part of the kit?

Attachment 2507550
  1. The only suspension kit providing adjustable dampers and adjustable lift to my knowledge is Tanabe in India. Was not part of my final three shortlisted ones though.
  2. In the international kit for Tough Dog caster correction bushes are not part of the kit. They can be ordered separately. The India Dealer for Tough Dog is however giving this as a standard in the kit and I had to pay nothing extra for it.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by graaja : 24th September 2023 at 19:16. Reason: Capitalisation fixes
ShivC is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 20:16   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Dear Team-bhpians,
Our SimplyJimny team of 10 Jimnys have made it to the "India book of Records" for successfully reaching the world's highest motorable road,19024 feet,on top of the world,literally.
Thanks for all the best wishes showered on us.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230924_201452_864.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 24th September 2023 at 20:22.
ecosport rules is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 21:57   #1990
BANNED

Quote:
The only suspension kit providing adjustable dampers and adjustable lift to my knowledge is Tanabe in India. Was not part of my final three shortlisted ones though.
Could you please elaborate why you didn't shortlist Tanabe? Personally, my usage of the Jimny would be more than 95% on road and less than 5% off-road. Do you think Tanabe suspension kit would make sense for such a Jimny user?

Quote:
In the international kit for Tough Dog caster correction bushes are not part of the kit. They can be ordered separately. The India Dealer for Tough Dog is however giving this as a standard in the kit and I had to pay nothing extra for it.
Thanks for clarifying. I specifically asked about the caster correction bushes because - in the photos you have shared - the springs have curved like a banana. I think the caster correction bushes should remove that curving of the springs. Most likely those photos were clicked before the caster correction bushes were installed? How is it after the full kit installation - is there any curving of the front or rear springs, OR are they perfectly straight?
Old 24th September 2023, 22:09   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Also, has anyone installed an aftermarket performance replacement filter? Wanted to know the performance improvement.
Sometime back replaced OEM air filter with K&N 33-3151 air filter & OEM spark plugs with NGK Premium RX spark plugs DCPR6ERX-11P
With this throttling at initial stage has gone & pick up much better. Also overall engine running has become quite smooth. Even the fuel efficiency has improved.
Rahul Lal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 06:18   #1992
BHPian

Free wheeling hubs

Has anyone changed the hubs of the Jimny. I believe the currently installed hubs are always locked for the car to be driven in 4x4 on the go. But since 95% of the times we drive in 2x4 and off-roading is more or less a planned affair, wouldn't it be better (for several reasons) to install free wheeling hubs that can be locked manually?

Saw these and wondering if they would fit the Jimny?

https://swastikfabs.in/index.php?rou...product_id=921
Old 25th September 2023, 06:48   #1993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
[b]... I believe the currently installed hubs are always locked for the car to be driven in 4x4 on the go..
I dont think so. The current hubs in the Jimny are also free wheeling hubs. Vacuum actuated IIRC.

Why would you want to get down from the vehicle to engage the front hubs at all times, when just slotting the lever to 4x4 engages the front hubs?
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 08:09   #1994
Distinguished - BHPian

One of India's best modified Maruti Jimny 5-Door from Bimbra 4x4.

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230925-080644.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230925-081112.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230925-081215.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230925-082259.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th September 2023 at 08:24.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 09:42   #1995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Rear seat belt alarm fix-

Yes, I understand that if I have passengers in the rear they should be belted and I'll take care of that.
But since 90% of the time there's just two of us and sometimes we fold the rear seat to get more luggage space - this should help remove an irritant.
I don't own a Jimny but wondering why would alarm go off for the rear seat belt if there are no occupants? AFAIK, alarm goes off only when it detects passenger and no seat belt worn.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 25th September 2023 at 09:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks