Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2023, 01:40   #1951
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Got to drive an Alpha Manual for quite some distance.

Nexa sales staffs were courteous and pretty eager to show the car.

A small fun part to begin with.

The sales guy : Sir, four Team-Bhp members came and test drove this car few days back, & they certified this car, so you should not have any doubts regarding this car.

Me: What is Team-Bhp?

The sales guy : Sir, that's a very renowned automotive magazine.

Me : How can people be a member of a magazine?

The sales guy : Sir, you can Google about Team-Bhp. They are quite big, and popular. If a Team-Bhp member certifies a car, you can buy that car eyes closed.

Me : Great, let's go for the test drive then.

The sales guy : I can only give you a couple of kilometers test drive.

Me : But I am not an expert like the Team-Bhp members. So I need a longer TD to understand the car. Can I get a longer TD?

The sales guy- Okay Sir, let me take an approval then.

Me : Thank you.

The TD car-

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7201.jpg

Everything has been shared about the Jimny umpteen number of times, but still am sharing my bit.
The drive was with three people on board.

Few on-road observations-

The gear lever vibrates while starting the car.

The clutch is light and the clutch travel is perfect, it's not too long or too short.

Slotting the first gear was not seamless, had to push it a bit hard. Rest of the gears including the reverse were fine.

By no means it's a fast car. When pushed hard, the engine makes sound, but it takes it's own sweet time to build speed.

Best to drive it in a relaxed way. Give some time to reach 90-110 km/hr, then this car can cruise at this speed for the whole day.

The low end power delivery is good. The car climbed a small incline in 1st gear without touching the accelerator.

Crossing speed-breakers in 2nd gear is easy. One do not have to slot the 1st gear.

In moderate traffic, the 3rd gear can be used as an AT!

Best to up-shift at 2200 rpm.

I tried slotting to 5th at 40 km/hr, but with my driving style, I was more comfortable in slotting the 5th gear at 60. For sedate driving the 5th gear can be slotted at 40 km /hr, but I felt it may lug the engine.

The engine is very refined, but on accelerating hard, the engine gets loud. Though I liked the sound, but for many this can be a deal breaker. The overall NVH level is just okay.

The brakes felt a bit spongy, but on pressing hard, the brakes worked as desired, plus on down-shifting, the engine braking was good.

Took a couple of 'U' turns, the turning radius was not a bummer for me. With a proper approach, the turns were completed in one shot.

The steering feedback is just okay, & the auto centering is slow. The steering needs a bit of more turns than I am used to.

At triple digit speeds the steering constantly needed small corrections.

I tried to drive in between two barricades at a higher speed, the body roll was sorted, but again the steering needed more than the required input to keep the car on my desired path.

On driving over rumble strips over 30 km/hr the rear tends to get unsettled or sway side-ways. Though this is not scary, but one can feel it.

I intentionally crossed a speed-breaker at a high speed, just to replicate what may happen if we miss one while driving at high speed. I was satisfied the way this little car handled it. The rear definitely got unsettled, but the car didn't lose it's overall composure. So in-case a driver misses out a speed breaker or some big pot hole, regaining the control won't be an issue.

The overall ride quality is bumpy, but it's acceptable for a body on frame vehicle. The front seats are much more comfortable than the rear seats. Plus the rear seats lack under thigh support.

For a 500 to 1000 km highway drive this car won't be as fatigue free as your regular sedan/hatchback/crossover.

The AC is good.

The music system has a lot of features, but the sound quality is just okay. Music lovers need to upgrade the speakers. With more bass, the sound gets boomy.

The led headlights are awesome with perfect spread and cut off. Night driving will be easy.

To sum it up, one must not forget, this is basically an updated Gypsy. By DNA it's a true blue offroader which can do the duty of a regular car too.

I have shared my Off-road observations about the Jimny over here-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5605079 (Maruti Jimny Review)

Last edited by Samba : 20th September 2023 at 02:00.
Samba is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 06:42   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
[b][u]
For a 500 to 1000 km highway drive this car won't be as fatigue free as your regular sedan/hatchback/crossover.
Very practical to the point review.

I have done quite a few 500 km drives till date with my Alpha MT. The fatigue factor has not been an issue for me yet, as long as I kept the speeds around 90-100. It becomes a bit more busy above 100 and fatigue sets in early.
sadnabrina is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 07:24   #1953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Enjoyed the first part of the review much more than the rest
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 08:03   #1954
BHPian

@samba one question:
How did you feel driving your Duster after the TD of Jimny?
delix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:52   #1955
BHPian

Quote:

The sales guy : Sir, four Team-Bhp members came and test drove this car few days back, & they certified this car, so you should not have any doubts regarding this car.

Me: What is Team-Bhp?

The sales guy : Sir, that's a very renowned automotive magazine.
Thanks for a very practical review.

I guess you too need to be courteous and send him the review link published on the magazine and he would be surprised that a D-BHPian indirectly mentioned him and indeed certified the car.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:35   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivC View Post

Its plug and play with just the module connected to the accelerator module and the wiring routed of the EVC. Its DIY for those slightly technically inclined.
I got quotes from two different brands - Ultimate 9 EVCX and Wind Booster GT931. I'm not sure if I can quote prices here that I received from them. However Wind Booster is almost 50% cheaper than Ultimate 9 with similar features. Not able to make a decision, which one to buy. If someone if is familiar with these brands, please suggest which one is better and which one to go for.
nazeer_ahamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 14:51   #1957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazeer_ahamed View Post
I got quotes from two different brands - Ultimate 9 EVCX and Wind Booster GT931. I'm not sure if I can quote prices here that I received from them. However Wind Booster is almost 50% cheaper than Ultimate 9 with similar features. Not able to make a decision, which one to buy. If someone if is familiar with these brands, please suggest which one is better and which one to go for.
I suggest neither and please look into a full remap with someone like Wolf. The prices do not seem far off and with a remap you genuinely get to open the engine up.

I might be wrong if remaps are not possible on this car.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:19   #1958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I suggest neither and please look into a full remap with someone like Wolf. The prices do not seem far off and with a remap you genuinely get to open the engine up.

I might be wrong if remaps are not possible on this car.
It's an NA engine, not much can be done to it without physically adding bits which would feed more air and fuel, but then you may need to strengthen various hardware to handle the load at various points - one thing leads to another and the whole idea of this cute off-road vehicle is lost.

Making peace with it, letting Maruti service take care of it is perhaps the best thing to do.
Kosfactor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 19:40   #1959
th2
BHPian

Today, for the first time after around 7 weeks of ownership, I checked the tire pressures to see if they needed to be topped up. The tag at the front door mentions recommends 27-29 psi. The dealership in its infinite wisdom has the tires inflated to 40 psi all around. Should I drop it to the recommended value? What are the problems if I just let them be as it is? I am a bit embarassed to say that I seem to have got used to over inflated tires and don't have any complaints as such.
Old 21st September 2023, 20:09   #1960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
Today, for the first time after around 7 weeks of ownership, I checked the tire pressures to see if they needed to be topped up. The tag at the front door mentions recommends 27-29 psi. The dealership in its infinite wisdom has the tires inflated to 40 psi all around. Should I drop it to the recommended value? What are the problems if I just let them be as it is? I am a bit embarassed to say that I seem to have got used to over inflated tires and don't have any complaints as such.
How about some reading?

Link TBHP article on overinflation (Over inflation of tyres)

Always maintain recommended cold air inflation pressure, please.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 21:05   #1961
Distinguished - BHPian

Demand for Jimny soars in Australia: With pricing yet to be revealed and is due for sale only in the first quarter of 2024, 1500 units of 5d jimny are entered as pre-order bookings.

2024 Suzuki Jimny three-door auto sold out in five hours, 1500 five-door orders and counting.

Quote:
A limited batch of 500 examples of the 2024 Suzuki Jimny three-door automatic made available on Monday have sold out in less than five hours, as the order books are closed once again.
Quote:
In addition to the 500 three-door automatics, the company says it took 34 orders for the three-door manual – which was never affected by the order pause – in the same five-hour period, and 62 more pre-orders for the upcoming Suzuki Jimny five-door.

Suzuki Australia says it is now holding more than 1500 pre-orders for the five-door, which is due in Australian showrooms between January and March 2024.

Link

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd September 2023 at 05:33.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 23:47   #1962
BANNED

Quote:
Just order online the EVCx from it's manufacturer in Australia. Gets delivered in less than a week. No customs duty to be paid (I didn't have to pay). They ship via DHL, and DHL will make you do eKYC when package arrives in India to avoid customs duty.

If you order it online from Australia, it costs only 2k more than the Wind booster. Note: Wind Booster is a Chinese brand. EVCx is from an Australian company, but the hardware is very likely manufactured in China.

Last edited by PYSO : 21st September 2023 at 23:49.
PYSO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 06:45   #1963
BHPian

Has anyone got a fix on how to secure the spare wheel from theft?

I'm going to be travelling and the Jimny may be parked at places that are not secure. Was thinking of a simple chain lock - like the ones used on bicycles - that can go around the spare wheel mount and into the wheel.

I saw @Hirohito use one (enlarge to see the spare wheel)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...-img_6712.jpeg

Would appreciate if anyone has a better idea.

Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 11:22   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Has anyone got a fix on how to secure the spare wheel from theft?
Thanks
Assuming the Gypsy and Jimny have the same wheel nuts, maybe you can try https://www.faradshop.in/pc/wheel-lo...ypsy-1985-2018 .
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 11:33   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
I got the windbooster GT installed 2 days ago. Supplier is Uglare and his number is 9818952900. I got the items delivered to chennai within 2days of making payment.There is another company in kerala who supplies GTE tuning which is supposed to be a German company. His number is 9895940194. Windbooster quote is Rs.17000/- and the GTE tuning chip was quoting between 25000 to 30000, but he didn't have stock. I think the price is on the higher side but the performance is really good. It wont make your Jimny a polo GT but the acceleration will be more than sufficient for city drives. I'm yet to take a highway trip and hence can't comment on that now. The Bluetooth interface is really helpful and pairs immediately. The greatest difference is that the acceleration is very linear and progressive in all the modes. I used the eco mode and got a mileage spike of more than 2 kmpl. Initially I was getting 6-7 inside chennai in peak bumper to bumper traffic. Now it is hovering between 8-9. You also have the option of setting a secret PIN on the Bluetooth app which will lock the acceleration. It's like a security feature which is cool.
One more thing to note. Flooring the accelerator of the Jimny in stock form is not going the make it go any fast. It only increases the noise of the engine. With the throttle controller, there is a definite difference. Mine is a Zeta AT.
Neil Roy is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks