Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2023, 18:23   #1891
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Jimny manual starts with the words that this is an essential part of the vehicle and should remain in the vehicle. Least they could have done is sell it on chargeable basis for an already overpriced car. Would qualify as genuine Nexa accessory.

I am old fashioned, have progressives and would love to keep a manual in the vehicle. Has anyone found a solution to this please? Printing at home will make it too bulky.
Old 10th September 2023, 22:02   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

For those who changed oil, which one and grade did you use ?

On the manual it says 0W16 which is fine but for really hot weathers is this still okay ?

What is Nexa service using ?
Old 10th September 2023, 22:39   #1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Jimny manual starts with the words that this is an essential part of the vehicle and should remain in the vehicle. Least they could have done is sell it on chargeable basis for an already overpriced car. Would qualify as genuine Nexa accessory.

I am old fashioned, have progressives and would love to keep a manual in the vehicle. Has anyone found a solution to this please? Printing at home will make it too bulky.
I got a copy of Jimny pdf manual printed by Printster.com for myself and am happy with their price, quality and fast delivery. Got it on the fourth day of ordering (since they are located in Delhi itself). Am sure there are many other printers who would do a similar decent job.
Seeker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 08:56   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I got a copy of Jimny pdf manual printed by Printster.com for myself and am happy with their price, quality and fast delivery. Got it on the fourth day of ordering (since they are located in Delhi itself). Am sure there are many other printers who would do a similar decent job.
Unable to open this website. Can you share address & contact number of the printer.
Old 11th September 2023, 09:19   #1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
Unable to open this website. Can you share address & contact number of the printer.
My apologies. Please try printster.in
Contact number shown on site is +91-9643230482 ( call and Whatsapp 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM), though I could order online without any calls.
Seeker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 09:33   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
www.printster.in

I got one printed from them. Costs about 400/- inclusive of shipping to Dehradun. It's on A4 and quite a thick wad that I stitched together.

If you have some PDF skills you can resize it. That way it'll be smaller in size.

It now sits in one of the rear seat pockets. Will need to find a better place for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_manual.jpg  

dileep is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:03   #1897
BHPian

Anybody did engine oil topup of jimny? Mine has done 3000kms. When i checked oil level,it was exactly in the middle of max and low markings.
So should i topup to keep it in max position or leave the oil level in the middle as of now?
Old 11th September 2023, 10:20   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
Anybody did engine oil topup of jimny? Mine has done 3000kms. When i checked oil level,it was exactly in the middle of max and low markings.
So should i topup to keep it in max position or leave the oil level in the middle as of now?
The level should be in the middle of the 2 positions.
Here's from the owners manual.
Attached Images

Old 11th September 2023, 10:43   #1899

Quote:
Suggest order in A5 size, both side printing, black and white, with soft cover binding. That won’t be bulky.
Seeker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 12:36   #1900
BHPian

The people who prefer to run stock tyre size of 195 80 15, what options are there if one were to look for a better tread pattern or look for a replacement for the Bridgestone Deulers? I've exhausted my search looking for an AT replacement. Even Bridgestone does not seem to stock the one provided by the factory. Any info on this would be much appreciated.
Old 11th September 2023, 14:39   #1901
BHPian

Completed a short trip to Kasauli last week. Left on Sunday morning and returned on Tuesday. 675 odd km from Noida to Kasauli and back.

Maruti Jimny Review-da7db0e1539c4a408348abd76b1a59be.jpeg

This was the first trip to the mountains in my Jimny, and it really lived up to the expectations. NH44 has a speed limit of 80-90 kph for most of the stretch and 100 in limited areas. It cruised effortlessly at those speeds, and there was ample power to overtake slower traffic. I prefer staying in the peak torque range to ensure I can pull off overtaking moves and there’s adequate engine braking to stay in control. Thus, I turned the OD off on Himalayan Expressway and switched to “2” on steep sections. At no point did the car struggle for power or cause any anxiety.

This trip seems to have helped open up the engine and the car feels more refined than it did earlier. It idles around 750 rpm and there’s barely any vibration or harshness.

Roads in Himachal Pradesh still show signs of the battering they took last month. Given these conditions, the performance of my Jimny became even more crucial. The excellent ride quality, compact dimensions, and the bottom-end torque make it an excellent car on the hills. I was sceptical about how the autobox would react on steep sections but the old school torque converter seems better suited to such conditions than some modern gearboxes.

All in all, this trip to Kasauli highlighted the Jimny’s strengths and quirks. With each journey, I grow more fond of it.

Some observations after 75 days with the car:

Steering

After almost 1800 km with the Jimny, I find the steering quite inconsistent. It seems to have a mind of its own. There’s loss or reduction in power assistance at critical moments, especially during three-point turns, as if it proclaims, “You shall not steer!” Then it becomes perfectly normal in regular circumstances. The Auto-start-stop is always off so, that can’t be a reason for the steering to become so hard.

The self-centring too seems to be inconsistent as on some U-turns it centres perfectly well but on others it needs steering input to centre correctly. Don’t know if it can be calibrated by some software tweak. It’s manageable for an experienced driver but may be unsettling for inexperienced drivers.

Moreover, I find the steering wheel a bit smaller than what I would have ideally preferred. I may be wrong, but I feel this smaller diameter of the steering wheel adds to the increased effort in turns, particularly for drivers with a larger frame.

“Never Turn Back” is more of an instruction than inspiration. Turning back in this would take some effort.
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3736.jpeg

Tyres

I upsized the tyres to Continental CrossContact AT 215/75/R15 and maintain a pressure between 27-29 psi. The ride quality has been really nice, and the road noise hasn’t increased much from the stock condition. I liked the way these tyres performed on broken, muddy, and wet patches. It may have reduced the fuel efficiency a bit, but I much prefer the incremental grip and, of course, the aesthetics.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3381.jpeg

Pics from the trip

Kudos to the authorities for fixing the road despite such severe landslides just a few weeks ago.

Maruti Jimny Review-ph20230903121323000024.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-ph20230903122150000026.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-ph20230903123026000029.jpeg

A good hotel is one that offers a clear view of the car from the room

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3964.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3867.jpeg

The fuel efficiency for the trip was 13ish with a mix of traffic and road conditions.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4040.jpeg

The compactness helps in dealing with narrow sections

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4007-copy.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4004.jpeg

Last edited by Biraj : 11th September 2023 at 14:41. Reason: Typo
Biraj is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 17:41   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

One point to note. You have gone for the Yoko 215 white letter tyres which look awesome. However can you confirm these are LT tyres?
Yup mine are LT tyres. The tread is more aggressive and has white lettering. The non LT tyres dont give a aesthetic advantage, but i felt are better for city and highway driving as they are much less harsher on the ride.

But you are right, the braking and control is better. I have now driven another 1000kms and have some more observations with these tyres, with respect to FE, ride on roads, offroad driving, steering heaviness and more.

I will compile them soon and post here.
prashant316 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 21:45   #1903
BHPian

It has been a little over a month that I took delivery of my Jimny Alpha AT. I've covered about 1200 kms in total with one round trip covering about 700kms to Kannur, Kerala.

Coming from the Tiago JTP, this has tamed me to be a responsible driver resulting in sedate driving which I've come to appreciate. The vehicle is in stock condition.

Pros:

1. Great visibility and ride comfort

2. Minimal NVH with unrecognisable AT shifts

3. Good headroom and legroom

4. Usable infotainment system without too many gimmicks

Cons:

1. Taking U-turns on Bangalore roads requires some planning in advance

2. The range mentioned is not very accurate and keeps fluctuating based on the throttle input

3. The glass of the front windows seem to shake and rattle when open three-fourths down

4. Minimal storage space. Good in a way to cut down unnecessary items internally

5. Lack of an illuminated gear shifter indicator (apart from the MID) and the dark interiors make it challenging at times

6. Speaker quality is just about ok even with calibrated equaliser settings

Some pics of the Jimny at the Muzhappilangad Drive In Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230911_214310.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230911_214351.jpg  

kesh4munni is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 03:40   #1904
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
It
Cons:

1. Taking U-turns on Bangalore roads requires some planning in advance

2. The range mentioned is not very accurate and keeps fluctuating based on the throttle input

3. The glass of the front windows seem to shake and rattle when open three-fourths down

4. Minimal storage space. Good in a way to cut down unnecessary items internally

5. Lack of an illuminated gear shifter indicator (apart from the MID) and the dark interiors make it challenging at times
Comparing with my Gypsy, the above points hold true. After all fhe Jimny is a modern Gypsy.
1. Wide turning radius is one of the characteristics of the Gypsy too.
2. The Gypsy’s front windows ‘rattle’ when rolled down a quarter, half and three quarters.
3. The minimal storage inside which leads us to buy little storage aids. And yes, most of us tend to carry lots of things ‘on the off chance that we may need them’ but more often than not, we dont. Basically us Jeep/ Thar/ Jimny - ‘Go Anywhere Anytime SUV’ owners tend to get psychologically influenced to physically gear up for ‘Expeditions’ even if we never really leave civilization very far behind. Remember that old ad for Tata cars (carry your whole house with you…)
4. That illuminated gear shift selector indicator would certainly help. I believe there is a workaround for this as illustrated on this thread by someone else.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 16:02   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks,

Our "India book of Records" epic journey from "Hyderabad to Umling la" (world's highest motorable road) starts today. Super excited to meet the other Jimnys at Chandigarh, we need all your best wishes.

Stay tuned.
Happy Jimnying
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20230912wa00131.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230911wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th September 2023 at 11:08. Reason: Spaces after punctuation marks :)
ecosport rules is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks