Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2023, 01:31   #1861

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Thanks. But want to get some more clarity around this. Have you connected your 4 door speakers directly to the DSP and is it powering it sufficiently or are using an amp after your DSP to power your speakers? If former, how is the sound from your speakers? Is it good and rich sounding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Yes, absolutely.
6 Ch out means -> 4 to the speakers and 2 for whatever I want

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd September 2023 at 04:45. Reason: Minor edit.
Old 3rd September 2023, 12:49   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by degakc View Post
Thanks. But want to get some more clarity around this. Have you connected your 4 door speakers directly to the DSP and is it powering it sufficiently or are using an amp after your DSP to power your speakers? If former, how is the sound from your speakers? Is it good and rich sounding?
Unfortunately, with the scorpio N, there is no good harness available in the market to splice and insert a DSP behind the head unit. With my Marutis this wasn't a problem. Thus, I've used wires coming out of each door panel to the DSP and then back to the door speakers. Frankly, had I known this was going to happen, I'd probably skip the DSP since the stock speakers aren't bad at all, and I could have L padded the tweeters to solve most of the problems. The sound is very similar to stock since I haven't tuned the DSP. Getting the same baseline is a good first step. The DSP will look after the rest. There is a degree of tuning that gets lost to speed dependent volume and frequency response control, but that should get eclipsed by the value add of the DSP later.

There are other Nakamichi amps as members have pointed out. They may have stronger inbuilt amps if that's what you're looking for.

Note - I swapped my speakers out too, from 25W RMS rated to 90W RMS. They'll last longer (actual rubber surrounds) and can be driven harder later. Now adding a 4 channel amp next to the DSP is child's play, no extra wiring to the speakers required =)
Old 3rd September 2023, 13:47   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hmm I am surprised you found it comfy at 6’2” and a 100kg body mass… .
I wonder why you say this. I am 6.2. Big built. Long legs. But pretty light on my feet if it comes to that.
I am comfortable in my Gypsy. And I am comfortable in the Jimny too. Its just a matter of finding the right sitting position.

My Dad who is also big built was in the front passenger seat while I was driving and we didn’t find it intrusive.

For big persons considering the Jimny, it is best to go and try the vehicle and decide for yourselves if it is comfortable or not.

After all, these Jimnys have been selling in EU and ANZ and UK and all for 5 years or so and those people there are definitely on average taller and larger than us Indians. Of course, we are prone to larger girth around the equator but thats it.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 11:52   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
Hello, friends,

Now, let's talk about my initial impressions of the vehicle after driving it for 300 kilometers (I also own a 2005 ex-army Gypsy, customized to my liking, so some points might be in comparison with that):

I strongly object to your incomplete post. You must post pics of your Gypsy too. Without that, your post is like an indie movie where the viewer himself has to imagine the story and the conclusion.
Jokes apart, lovely choice of colour and wishing you plenty of smiles. But pls, post pic of Gypsy too.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 12:09   #1865
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a white one outside Bangalore for the first time. Awesome how well-proportioned this vehicle is, doesn't look big at all. Wonder how the 3-door version will look on the road. Loved it, very classy and looked right at home in the rocky terrain I saw it on. Infinitely more desirable than the Thar (IMHO- I like my vehicles understated).

Last edited by am1m : 4th September 2023 at 12:10.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 12:37   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I strongly object to your incomplete post. You must post pics of your Gypsy too. Without that, your post is like an indie movie where the viewer himself has to imagine the story and the conclusion.
Jokes apart, lovely choice of colour and wishing you plenty of smiles. But pls, post pic of Gypsy too.
Hello Neil,

I sincerely apologise for not posting the pics of the Gypsy with the initial post. However, as I am not able to edit the original post now, I will post them here

Here are the pics of my other beast
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20200815_120040_660.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20200621_180927_805.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20211021_135341_513.jpg  

Akash_1806 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 14:22   #1867
BHPian

I noticed something strange while cleaning the Jimny this morning.

The front door frames have a sort of squinch - seems that this part is not a whole but welded together and painted after.

Please have a look at the photos.

Driver side
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230904_072957978.jpg

Passenger side
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230904_073032912.jpg

Anyone else who has a Jimny noticed these?
Or is it only my car that has these.
dileep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 15:22   #1868
BHPian

So raise your hands. Who wants this?

Yes the new shocks might take an edge out of the ride quality offered by Jimny. But should be more fun in the corners.
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 15:53   #1869
BHPian

Hello All,

Can someone please clarify what is the advantage of using a lift kit of 2inches with Jimny without changing the suspension ? is this useful ? what I am asking is does the ground clearance like the differential height from the ground go up by 2 inches ?

Also, does the ride quality get affected badly after raising by 2 inches.

Photo attached for clarification
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230904-3.51.48-pm.jpeg  

Old 4th September 2023, 19:57   #1870
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I wonder why you say this. I am 6.2. Big built. Long legs. But pretty light on my feet if it comes to that.
Hmm.. my neighbor looked terribly cramped and uncomfortable in the drivers seat for sure. It looked like a terrible choice for that sized person to me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Hello All,

Can someone please clarify what is the advantage of using a lift kit of 2inches with Jimny without changing the suspension ? is this useful ? what I am asking is does the ground clearance like the differential height from the ground go up by 2 inches ?

Also, does the ride quality get affected badly after raising by 2 inches.

Photo attached for clarification
I think You will lose some coil spring travel thus reducing ride quality.

Last edited by Ragul : 4th September 2023 at 19:59.
Old 4th September 2023, 20:37   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hmm.. my neighbor looked terribly cramped and uncomfortable in the drivers seat for sure. It looked like a terrible choice for that sized person to me as well.
I am the reviewer who spoke about the fact that plus size drivers can find room inside and I also own a Jimny now. I am 6'2" and have no problems driving long distances as well.

It might have looked like a terrible choice but the reality is that it is perfectly serviceable if not luxurious/roomy.

Last edited by gsferrari : 4th September 2023 at 20:54.
gsferrari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 20:59   #1872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
So raise your hands. Who wants this?
I guess, no one?

People aren’t happy with a 15 lakh Jimny. This one costs 52 lakhs* with 2 doors less!!

*On road UK cost = £49,500 plus 20% VAT

Source
Old 4th September 2023, 21:23   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
I noticed something strange while cleaning the Jimny this morning.

The front door frames have a sort of squinch - seems that this part is not a whole but welded together and painted after.

Please have a look at the photos.

Driver side
Attachment 2499229

Passenger side
Attachment 2499230

Anyone else who has a Jimny noticed these?
Or is it only my car that has these.
Same in all the cars. This is the door frame, not a structural member.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 22:04   #1874
BHPian

Did Dehradun to Delhi and back in the Jimny AT. One person in the car, AC on, 215 AT tyres, sunny afternoon conditions.

Drove with a heavy foot to Delhi and a light foot on the way back to assess performance and fuel efficiency.

Performance: On the way to Delhi I had no trouble at all making overtakes since the AT kicked down willingly and, revs allowing, a second kick down was available for tighter overtakes. The first kick down produced audible noise but with the road noise and music it wasn’t an issue. I think in company it might’ve been an issue, and this is really a turbo’s trump card. The second kick downs were very rarely deployed and definitely made a huge racket. That said, I don’t think I was ever overtaken by anyone doing legal speeds - there were a few people who did serious triple digit speeds for brief stretches. The Jimny felt like it could keep up until 120-140, but I refrained. I also didn't have any real trouble with sweeping corners on the highway, bumpy concrete surfaces or expansion joints. I wasn’t happy with the spongy brake pedal feel, but there weren’t any panic braking moments to really test the brakes.

Fuel efficiency: On the way back I tried cruise control at 70 kmph with AC off for a few kilometres, which gave an indicated 18.5 kmpl, while 90 kmph with AC on yielded 14+ kmpl. For the rest of the drive I allowed the car to shift up at 3000 rpm (no kick downs whatsoever, but enough pressure on the pedal to keep it from shifting at 2000 rpm - this is fine in town but on the highway you have to let it rev just a little) and topped out at 95 kmph. Fuel average was sadly well below 14 kmpl even before I hit the hilly climb entering Dehradun, where the numbers went lower. I’m a little disappointed with the fuel average and don’t think 15+ is remotely possible in a highway run unless you have an MT and preferably stock tyres, or are willing to stay below 80 kmph max.

Comfort: The Jimny many not have the monocoque or the stiff, tied-down suspension to ride properly flat over poorly surfaced roads, or the right sort of aerodynamics, but is perfectly capable of triple digit cruising in reasonable peace and comfort. The AT may be slower 0-100 but the ease and predictability with which it kicks down makes it faster in the long haul. The AC and tinted glass kept me comfortable. The narrow dimensions and high seating position were a plus. I had a metal water bottle standing in as an armrest, and definitely think an armrest would be helpful. Even the awkwardly placed dead pedal was less of a bother than I had anticipated. That said, it isn’t a patch on the quietness, fuel efficiency or sense of reserve power that many other, more low-slung and modern cars offer.
Vikram9193 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 04:48   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I am the reviewer who spoke about the fact that plus size drivers can find room inside and I also own a Jimny now. I am 6'2" and have no problems driving long distances as well.

It might have looked like a terrible choice but the reality is that it is perfectly serviceable if not luxurious/roomy.
Brother GSF,
Maybe I need to trundle along in my Gypsy to Madras or you need to toodle down in your Jimny to Bangalore OR meet up at Aaryaas near Vellore for a Dosa, (being a sort of halfway point) and you and I, both being big-built, broad-spec, 6.2 footers of a similar persuasion, should stand next to and sit inside our respective vehicles, and sit together shoulder-to-shoulder in each vehicle and have some photos taken. Perhaps such a demonstration may once and for all, disabuse people of this rather erroneous ‘notion’ of ‘no-space-for-big-fellas-in-the-Jimny’.
As I have also said earlier, the average size of the blokes in the UK, MENA, ANZ, ZA and all is a size or three larger than the average Indian. And the Jimny works very well indeed for those blokes, considering the waiting list. And that is the 3 door Jimny, to boot!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th September 2023 at 04:49.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks