Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2023, 16:29   #1846
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Has anyone installed the OEM Front Parking Assist System Part No: 990J0M80T21-010 ?
I would like to know how it integrates to the existing system? Does it need a separate screen/LED indicator?
I had mentioned it as a niggle in a seperate thread here (Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles). It sits on top of the dashboard as a separate analogish display with a large red digital read out. I am unhappy with the way it works and would not recommend it.

Last edited by astrodex : 1st September 2023 at 16:30. Reason: spell and url correction
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 18:40   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post
Accident video in which Jimny's build quality is being questioned !
It's interesting to see these Youtubers 'reporting' on accidents when they have absolutely no idea about anything.

It is also interesting to note that when the Baleno was launched similar accidents were happening and Baleno's were getting crushed in a similar way.

Here are some links from our own forum:

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/baleno...d-drags-it-bus

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-180.html (Maruti Baleno : Official Review)

or this Mercedes S Class-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...rders-fir.html (Mercedes S-Class Accident : Owner dead, Airbag doesn't activate and Court orders FIR)

I'm no expert on this, but I think the A pillar is not designed to take such an impact and the result of such kind of crash would be quite debilitating even for an S Class Mercedes.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 20:40   #1848
BHPian

Can we just drop this matter of conducting the post-mortem of the extremely unfortunate Jimny accident involving the Bolero pick-up goods carriage and mangled Jimny, please? And, the Jimny driver (perhaps the owner) also died on spot. It's really heart wrecking incident.

All sensible members do know why and how this happened to the Jimny. It could happen with any other best built and well engineered car/ SUV if they collide with a metallic block (Bolero pick-up) having illegal, unscientific and extraordinarily strong non-automotive grade anchoring extension, metal sheets etc.

Last edited by RijuC : 1st September 2023 at 20:43.
RijuC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 20:43   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Rear seat belt alarm fix-
A very temporary 'quick fix' would be to buy these seat belt clips, and keep them fitted when there are no rear passengers. Can be simply removed and kept in the glovebox, or anywhere else, when seat belts need to be worn.

Available on amazon.in, and maybe in a nearby car accessories' shop ! Low priced.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-seat-belt-clip.jpg  

Old 1st September 2023, 22:02   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
A very temporary 'quick fix' would be to buy these seat belt clips, and keep them fitted when there are no rear passengers. Can be simply removed and kept in the glovebox, or anywhere else, when seat belts need to be worn.

Available on amazon.in, and maybe in a nearby car accessories' shop ! Low priced.
These clip extenders may be a more functional and "safer" option. They will shut off the alarm but will still allow the use of belts when required without having to remove and stow them.
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_20230901215533.png

https://amzn.eu/d/3wU1lPV
cogWheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 23:03   #1851

Hi, are you able to power 4 speakers high level (60W) + get a low level channel out for an active sub with your 4065AU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
I am unsure of the default wattage but it generally is in the 16-20W RMS range for the majority of factory HUs..

Mod Note : Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd September 2023 at 12:22. Reason: Mod note attached.
degakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 00:17   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
A few pics of my Jimny. I've completed 3000 Km so far. Plenty of off-road driving (mostly sand / dunes / cross country) and a trip from Chennai to Bandipur/Masinagudi via Bangalore. Very happy with the vehicle and the reality is faithful to the observations made during the media drive.

I have no idea how to upload videos here. I will share some off-road videos once I figure that out.
Congratulations Guru.

So Geoff Returns or is it Geoff 2.

White looks stunning. Much better than the darker shades and definitely better than that over funky neon green.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 00:59   #1853
BHPian

Hello, friends,

I've been following this thread for a while and have gathered a lot of information about the Jimny. I received my Arctic White Zeta AT on August 30th from Fairdeals Nexa, Sector-10, Noida.

As for the booking and delivery experience, there's only one word: awesome. I booked the vehicle on August 10th, and it was delivered on August 30th. I didn't have to pay any extra amount, and there was no pressure from the dealership to buy extended warranties or accessories. The vehicle arrived at the dealership on August 26th, and payment was made after a thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). No one objected to this, and the Customer Relationship Manager (Mr. Manoj) was extremely helpful throughout the process. I had accessories fitted on August 29th while I was present, and I must say, she looks awesome!

Now, let's talk about my initial impressions of the vehicle after driving it for 300 kilometers (I also own a 2005 ex-army Gypsy, customized to my liking, so some points might be in comparison with that):

1. Looks, looks, and more looks. The understated, no-nonsense, boxy design looks even better in person, and some might argue it looks better than the Thar. The Zeta model's steel wheels and high tire profile add to its charm.

2. The K15B + 4AT combination is decent and provides great driveability. There's hardly any instance when the gearbox seems confused. It always seems to be in the right gear (maybe due to the fewer number of gears?). The combination of a proper 4x4 system with low range and a naturally aspirated petrol engine feels like a match made in heaven, especially after driving the Gypsy for four years.

3. This vehicle is not a street scorcher or a long-distance cruiser by any means. It's a thoroughbred off-road machine, best driven at sedate speeds and with caution due to its Body-on-Frame (BoF) structure and body roll. However, it's designed for off-road adventures that most street-oriented vehicles wouldn't dare to explore.

4. 195/80 R15 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires on a capable off-road machine? Seriously? I'm not sure what Maruti was thinking when selecting these tires. A tire change to All-Terrain (AT) or Mud-Terrain (MT) tires is a must for anyone intending to tackle moderate or extreme off-road terrain. The stock tires offer adequate grip on tarmac and mild off-road trails.

5. The fuel economy statistics on the infotainment system and Multi-Information Display (MID) seem erratic. For example, the range shows 135 kilometers, and within a few meters, it drops to 125 kilometers without any change in throttle input. The fuel economy is hovering around 9.3 to 9.8 km/l, which is slightly below my expectations. However, I believe it will improve once the engine has been broken in and the first service has been completed.

6. Contrary to some responses in this thread, the K15B engine in the Jimny sounds delightful around 3-4k rpm. It's not harsh, and the Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) levels are well-controlled. There are no unusual suspension, tire, or engine noises inside the cabin at city speeds. Coming from a 1.5 K9K diesel, the K15B engine seems quite refined.

7. The steering, instrument cluster, and driving ergonomics remind me of my Gypsy, which aligns with the primary purpose of the vehicle. However, the Jimny is much more comfortable and convenient compared to the Gypsy.

8. With its compact body structure, light weight, and 103hp on tap, this vehicle is fun to drive and handles small bumps and potholes exceptionally well.

9. It checks all the boxes for my family. An automatic transmission, 4x4 capability, comfortable seating for four, four doors, six airbags, and a compact structure, all for under 17.5 lakhs on the road? There is no competition; no other car in this segment offers all of that.

10. The MID is highly informative and displays all the necessary details along with the infotainment system. The four-speaker setup is much better than my previous car, so no complaints there. The functional but feature-rich interiors are great compared to the vehicles I've owned previously.

That's all for now. I'll update the thread once I've taken the car on the highway and on off-road tracks (like ORAZ or any other place) once the run-in period is completed. I plan to keep the vehicle stock for the next few months to understand its strengths and weaknesses as a 4x4 AT.

To answer a few questions:

1. Did I need the Jimny?
Ans: No, not at all. Any compact SUV would have met my needs where 4x4 wasn't necessary; for situations where it was needed, I could use the Gypsy.

2. Did I WANT the Jimny?
Ans: This one is a no-brainer. Yes, I did. After driving the Gypsy for about 4 years and 25k kilometers, the Jimny seemed to be the only suitable option.

3. Am I satisfied with the Jimny/Am I happy with my choice?
Ans: Yes, ABSOLUTELY. I couldn't be happier. It has its own set of pros and cons, but the pros outweigh the cons, at least for me and my family.

Ending the post with two beautiful shots of this incredible vehicle:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20230831230804.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230831230920.jpg  

Akash_1806 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 08:35   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this idling between 500 and 750 in the pic?

Light judders are felt when it drops to these levels. That's what makes me feel it's idling too low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
It’s as they say, perfect. Most normal cars idle between 800-900 rpm. Why do you feel it slow?
Quote:
Is this idling rpm ok? The service centre says yes. I still feel it's a tad bit too slow.
Seems to be the new norm in petrol cars, our brand new Verna settles down to 650 rpm during idling (the digital meter shows 6.5), it is absolutely and remarkably free of any vibrations whatsoever though.
(Strangely 2/10 times there are some idle vibrations even when warmed up but if you drive a bit and then stop to idle again, they go away - in the same conditions (AC on and same idle RPM)

What is different from a couple of Maruti cars I have experienced is in those cars if we turn on the AC, the idle RPM increases (presumably to take the extra load of the compressor), Verna stays put at the same RPM irrespective of AC being on or not.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 2nd September 2023 at 08:46.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:22   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
These clip extenders may be a more functional and "safer" option. They will shut off the alarm but will still allow the use of belts when required without having to remove and stow them.
I agree to your use of these seat belt extenders.

But please do try to lower the backrest of the rear seat with these extenders in place.

Does the rear backrest fold completely?

If it does and you load your car with stuff on top of the folded seat - does this clip eat into the cushion of the seat?

And will this eventually over a period of time destroy the cushioning of that area?
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:46   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Attachment 2498210

https://amzn.eu/d/3wU1lPV
In my opinion, I would not recommend these. Seat belt components are all thoroughly tested to meet safety norms/standards. These aftermarket clip extenders may not meet safety norms/standards and are not ARAI certified. Most of the individual components of a vehicle need to meet their own homologation standards before the vehicle gets its approval. They could even be used against the person in the event of an insurance claim involving say serious injury or death of a person wearing such seatbelts.
pjbiju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 18:47   #1857

Took TD of the Jimny today. Am a good 6'2'' and close to a 100kgs worth of load on earth or the car.
It was a fairly detailed TD within city roads of Bangalore and we had statistically significant representation of all types of roads - potholes, good roads, traffic, narrow lanes and some no roads.

Observations
- Seating position is very good. Huge visibility all the way to the bonnet.
- Steering is way better than my expectations. Coming from a Polo GT - did not expect steering to be as sensitive as the GT and having tested a Thar was almost scared that this will be a let down. But boy o boy! Steering feels so good. Not as sensitive as Polo but allows you to manoeuvre the vehicle with ease and holds steady at high speed (80+). Was super impressed
- Brakes - were average. There was huge play. Brakes need to be the first upgrade on this vehicle. Was a let down on the brake responsiveness - felt spongy.
- Acceleration - does not and will not accelerate like a 1.2 TSI in a Polo body. Here is the thing - I do not need it to. I was happy cruising along without the urge of pedal to metal. For that I have the GT - this is not the car for that. It was clear within a few minutes of the TD.
- Footwell - placing the dead pedal foot is a pain and needs getting used to.
- HUD and dash - I am driving a 2014 TSI. This is way better. Speakers are okay.
- Plastic quality- better than what I have seen on Thar
- Road presence- people do look and some people give-way.
- Build quality - doors have a thud and also got the bonnet opened and closed with a good thudd. Quality is good considering its not a 100+ speeds vehicle.
- Space - The RSA and his friend sat at the back while me and my wife in the front - all four were comfortable.
- Climbing in and climbing out - could get in and get out without bending my frame into half.
- Bad roads - the same roads that feel like craters at each step on my polo felt nothing on this.

Overall, I was super impressed with the vehicle build, handling and road comfort. Brakes were a let down - has anyone faced this/solved this?

Its close to 20L OTR in Bangalore - I do not need a car now. There is a child inside me that grew up looking at Gypsies and Thars. That child shed a quiet tear today as he sat behind the wheel of a vehicle with a square bonnet and that gypsy hud.
Maybe the adult does not need the car but the child does as eventually we grow old enough to be children again.

Folks looking for TDs in Bangalore, please contact Bimal Nexa. They have few colours in stock as well ready for delivery.
dot_tsi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:11   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I've been driving my Jimny with 215 AT tires and I definitely feel there is a negative impact on performance, ride quality and handling. If you have no plans to do serious off-road driving (going off-road on complex rock/slush/sand sections for the sake of going off-road), please stick with the stock tires.

In short, the stock tires are the BEST option for 90% of the Jimny buyers who will do trails, explore the wilderness but given the option of an easier path around a difficult obstacle, they will take the easier path always.

Hope this makes sense.

I took delivery a few days back and I am not sure I am enjoying the negative effects of the tire change.

This looks like a venomous green pit viper / bamboo viper. I wouldn't mess with this reptile.

1. Which brand 215 AT tyres are you on?

2. Can other owners running 215 AT's also share their experiences?

3. Any possible warranty issues if one goes for 215s?
Old 2nd September 2023, 22:28   #1859
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot_tsi View Post
Took TD of the Jimny today. Am a good 6'2'' and close to a 100kgs worth of load on earth or the car.
Hmm I am surprised you found it comfy at 6’2” and a 100kg body mass… I had my neighbor who is similarly built sit in the drivers seat of my car and boy did he look cramped! There was no gap between steering wheel and thighs until we raised the steering and his body posture was similar to being crouched in the backseat of an autorickshaw… frankly I would vehemently not recommend this car to any large people or as a primary car for a family of five, despite the positive feedback some tall and large reviewers seem to give …

Quote:
1. Which brand 215 AT tyres are you on?

2. Can other owners running 215 AT's also share their experiences?

3. Any possible warranty issues if one goes for 215s?
I see no negative impact with my 215/75/15 upgrade at all… I am on Apollo Apterra AT2s which I like because I had a good impression of their ride quality and off-road terrain capabilities from my Gypsy. Other good tyres you can consider are the CCAX6 but a few dealers showed me their phone dealer ordering app from Conti where it is not possible to order it in 215/75/15 profile although it seems to be available online shops….

Last edited by Ragul : 2nd September 2023 at 22:29.
Old 3rd September 2023, 01:22   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by degakc View Post
Hi, are you able to power 4 speakers high level (60W) + get a low level channel out for an active sub with your 4065AU?
Yes, absolutely.
6 Ch out means -> 4 to the speakers and 2 for whatever I want

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th September 2023 at 11:39. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion while replying.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks