Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2023, 13:12   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Here's what I did -

Removed the rear bottom seat cushion by opening 2 bolts under the boot carpet and pulling it out from the restrainers in front. Unplugged the alarm joint.

That's it.

Yes, I understand that if I have passengers in the rear they should be belted and I'll take care of that.
But since 90% of the time there's just two of us and sometimes we fold the rear seat to get more luggage space - this should help remove an irritant.
Any confirmation/documentation that this is NOT linked to the airbag deployment? Particularly at the rear?
gsferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 13:16   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Any confirmation/documentation that this is NOT linked to the airbag deployment? Particularly at the rear?
if you disconnect anything related to the airbag system, the warning lamp will light up on the dash.

This is a short cut solution for rear belt alarms as along with the missing occupant sensor, there is also no sealt belt indicator blinking on the MID for the rear seats, so no info is being sent on the vehicle network regarding rear seat belt status.
fiat_tarun is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 13:20   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
if you disconnect anything related to the airbag system, the warning lamp will light up on the dash.

This is a short cut solution for rear belt alarms as along with the missing occupant sensor, there is also no sealt belt indicator blinking on the MID for the rear seats, so no info is being sent on the vehicle network regarding rear seat belt status.
Cool. Just to be safe I got the dummy seatbelt clips. The hard part is tracking where they go when the rear seats are occupied
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 15:32   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
My observations with a recent 750 km trip with Jimny over three days
Congratulations on your Jimny and the process which you undertook to take this decision.

Noticed the nice front grille that you have.

Please share the details of where you got it; price, etc.?

Thanks

Last edited by dileep : 30th August 2023 at 15:34.
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 16:06   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

My neighbour’s new Jimny with Super Sized Tyres.

(And my stock Gypsy just for contrast.)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_4918.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4905.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 19:09   #1821
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
My doubt is,
1) Is it ok to drive while it's still showing?
2) Will it subside eventually after few thousand kms or should I be worried??

Thank You.
This is normal warning that coolant is not optimal, just the usual drive sedate instead of hard accelerations till it switches off is good enough. Same as in ignis.

Mind you there is similar red light that comes when it overheats, that you should pull over and switch the vehicle off to avoid damage
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 19:39   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
From one MT owner to another:

1. At cold start and before turning on the ac, the car fires up and stays at 1100 RPM. This is held silently and smoothly for about 30 secs before the engine starts dropping RPM gradually till it settles at an even 800 RPM, no judder. I wait for this phase before I start rolling the car and never fire the ac till the blue ‘running cold’ lamp has gone out.

2. This point is partially familiar. This engine feels fairly rev-happy till 4.5K RPM and even a light jab on the throttle sends the needle swinging up. That, combined with the early bite from the clutch, makes it tricky for the driver not to stall the car when new. In my case, it grew a habit where I inevitably end up racing the engine a bit at takeoff. This overtly sensitive clutch also causes a jerky progress while driving between shifts, until I force-trained muscle memory to ‘release clutch-tap gas’ to improve matters. Is that familiar?

Is this idling rpm ok? The service centre says yes. I still feel it's a tad bit too slow.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-pxl_20230827_134300092.jpg  

R.Daroga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 21:19   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Is this idling rpm ok? The service centre says yes. I still feel it's a tad bit too slow.
It’s as they say, perfect. Most normal cars idle between 800-900 rpm. Why do you feel it slow?
Old 30th August 2023, 23:16   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
It’s as they say, perfect. Most normal cars idle between 800-900 rpm. Why do you feel it slow?
Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this idling between 500 and 750 in the pic?

Light judders are felt when it drops to these levels. That's what makes me feel it's idling too low.
R.Daroga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 23:26   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post

Noticed the nice front grille that you have.

Please share the details of where you got it; price, etc.?

Thanks

Thanks
I got it from a vendor from Mumbai. I'm not sure if the forum rules permit me to post details here. Can anyone throw some light on this?
Old 31st August 2023, 01:29   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this idling between 500 and 750 in the pic?

Light judders are felt when it drops to these levels. That's what makes me feel it's idling too low.
Even our 2012 Dzire used to idle around 700 rpm and created vibrations. It's normal for newer Maruti cars to go lower. Yes those judders are annoying and it almost feels as if the engine will stall, but it doesn't. The reason is obvious, fuel saving .
YD14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 06:16   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your car is a Automatic and you're in Drive or Reverse, then Yes. In-gear Idle is slightly lower than idle rpm, say when left in Neutral or Park.

Note that this does not apply for all car models. Behavior can vary for vehicles equipped with a different gearbox.
Old 31st August 2023, 06:48   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
I got it from a vendor from Mumbai. I'm not sure if the forum rules permit me to post details here. Can anyone throw some light on this?
Yes, there is absolutely no problem in sharing details like these with other members which will help them. You are not marketing this item, just informing others who have requested for it.

Here's from the Forum rules:
. Strictly NO marketing on the forum for automotive goods / services. Also, no third parties are permitted to make any commercial offers to members, via the Private Messaging (PM) or email facility. Note that Team-BHP does NOT accept a single marketing / advertising rupee from the Auto Industry. Vendors are free to use The Team-BHP Classifieds to sell their wares.
Old 31st August 2023, 10:02   #1829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think it is just fine. Am not sure there is a manual adjuster for this engine, if so you can add another 100 to the RPM to solve vibration at idle. But you will need to give a tad bit of throttle to get the car moving without any judders, even then.

Quote:
Thanks
Absolutely fine to share, please do will be helpful to others. If you want you can create the vendor listing also under TeamBHP directory section.
Old 31st August 2023, 12:46   #1830
Senior - BHPian

A few pics of my Jimny. I've completed 3000 Km so far. Plenty of off-road driving (mostly sand / dunes / cross country) and a trip from Chennai to Bandipur/Masinagudi via Bangalore. Very happy with the vehicle and the reality is faithful to the observations made during the media drive.

For the Masinagudi trip we were 4 adults with luggage for 5 nights - 6 days. The car was quite heavily loaded with close to 500kg including passengers and luggage. Highway performance was adequate, not exciting. Climbing from Krishnagiri to Hosur was an exercise in patience and being submissive to the faster vehicles out there.

I must make a mention of the insane rumble strips on the road between Krishnagiri and Hosur. These really throw the little Jimny off line, particularly when the suspension is overwhelmed with the load in the vehicle. The first one was so unpleasant I started to slow to a crawl for the ones that followed.

While I feel the engine is adequate, I think this platform would really come on song with a 2L or 2.4L engine, like the one in the original Grand Vitara. It wouldn't be unjustified at this price point either.

Annoyances in order of severity:
1. Auto start stop
2. Traction control is atrocious in 4H off-road. Even in 4L it feels like there is some loss of engine power even when TCS is held down for 4-5 seconds and the MID goes orange.
3. Gearbox should/could have had a manual/tiptronic option
4. Rear seat belt chime. I have installed dummy clips but when they are misplaced, it will be another irritating reminder of the cost-cutting by MSIL.
5. Rear door hydraulic strut might smash the rear door into parking lot pillars / cars nearby if you aren't careful.
6. IRVM is too low on the windscreen and obscures a large chunk of forward left visibility. This holds true for taller drivers. If I could get a shorter stalk for the IRVM, it would make a huge difference.

7. This deserves to be told. People gawk at the vehicle and often when they are turning across the road in front of me, preventing me from merging. I have lost count of the number of times someone has started to turn in front of me, spotted the Jimny and either slowed down or come to a complete halt while they inform everyone in the car that there is a Jimny here. They start moving again once they've had a good look, discussion, cup of coffee and concluded that I am an idiot. To hell with the rest of the road users or to the fact that I am sat there waiting for them to vacate the intersection so I can get on with my day. Actually this annoyance should top the list but some of you may enjoy the celebrity status the Jimny affords. It is just not for me.

I have no idea how to upload videos here. I will share some off-road videos once I figure that out.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-untitled9412editeditedit.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-untitled9417editeditedit.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-untitled9422editedit.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny_wallpaper_1.jpg  

Last edited by gsferrari : 31st August 2023 at 13:01. Reason: Added pics and one more point
gsferrari is offline   (118) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks