Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 16:42   #1801
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

While going through some previous posts in this thread it seems there is much confusion regarding the ESP system of Jimny. Let a few things get clarified first.

• There exists no separate button to disable HHC (hill hold control/assist). HHC can only be disabled in 4L mode using the ESP switch.

HHC and HDC are two different functions that leverage the same electronic hardware.

• When HHC is disabled, HDC can not be activated as per the controller programming.

• If HDC is working, the brake lamp may blink sporadically. This is normal and functional element.

ESP and the so-called TC symbol (orange in colour) are the registered trademarks of Mercedes Benz. Many OEMs use their proprietary systems for ESP functionality implementation with varying complexity.

(Various electronic aid and their differences in implementation b/w Thar and Jimny is described in this post. Vide point no. 10
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5600327 (Maruti Jimny Review)

• A common user/driver often uses ESP and TC terminologies interchangeably to purport the same thing.

‘TC off’ and ‘TC’ are different symbols and convey different messages. Refer picture enclosed at the end of this post.

‘TC’ symbol when permanently on (engine running conditions) implies major issues in one or more components of the ESP systems. Sub-components of the ESP systems in Jimny are mentioned in the previous post. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5613332 (Maruti Jimny Review))

‘TC’ symbol when blinks rapidly, means one or more component(s) of the ESP system is/ are activated due to the demanding situation. It doesn’t signify any error.

e.g. 1. Stability control module may be activated while manoeuvring a high-speed turn. During this event, the TC light may blink rapidly.

2. Traction control module may be activated while navigating through slush/mud or launching the vehicle quickly with high acceleration from stand-still.

‘Brake assist’ and 'Brake Traction Control' (BTC) marketed by Suzuki as BLSD (Brake Limited Slip Differential) are two different things in Jimny. The former assists the driver with emergency braking for a quicker stop, and the latter is useful for self-recovery in tricky situations when one or more wheels have lesser traction and a tendency to spin.

BTC cannot be switched off manually and remains functional below 30kmph (approx.) speed in 4wd transfer case positions (4H and 4L), while 'ESP Off' essentially disables the engine power modulation by the onboard TC controller. On the contrary, ESP is switched on automatically once the speed is more than 30 kmph (approx).

Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-esp.jpg

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 28th August 2023 at 17:06.
Blooming Flower is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 20:49   #1802
BHPian

My observations with a recent 750 km trip with Jimny over three days

Before that, my reasons to buy one

1. Had a liking for the vehicle ever since MSIL disclosed it's Indian plans for Jimny.( That's to say I was never a big gypsy fan)Used to closely follow the media for the titbits ever since

2. My wife was a big Gypsy fan. She always wanted to own one. Since her other love was a mini Cooper, I thought this one made sense

3. Before buying a Jimny, I had a choice of buying a Thar and a Scorpio N at the launch( first lot)- I cancelled both since something inside me was telling the best is yet to come

4. And of course, the teambhp review made it easier( as with my previous cars)

At last a month ago, got our Kinetic yellow Alfa AT. Delivery was delayed although we had the very first bookings at two different dealers( that's a long story- may be I'll disclose it someday.)

Now my idea of buying Jimny was NOT to use it as a pure off roader. For that matter, I detest the idea of off roading for the sake of off roading- I hope you understand what I mean.I love travel by road. And I had instances where I felt handicapped with the vehicles I had( with an Ecosport initially- which led me to buy a Jeep compass 4x4. But even with Jeep there were times I hesitated to do certain things- though I should admit that Jeep had given wings to my dreams. I could do a lot of adventure drives across India, find the best of like minded friends...).

So my idea of buying one was to have a vehicle for my wife which can be used for small drives in and around the city, our not so infrequent drives to the hill stations near by and to the occasional drives to the Himalayas .Somehow I badly wanted to have drone shots of my Kinetic yellow Jimny driving through the snow..

About this trip

First the drive on the good roads- at speeds around 60-90, it was doing a decent job. Stable, planted but Very VERY sluggish. It was a pain to see all those hatchbacks zoom past. The remedy?- handed over the steering to my better half

In the winding mountain roads it did an excellent job. Taking curves was not at all an issue. I was very apprehensive about this coming from a compass which was very good at this. Felt the lack of power uphill anyway. But was not very bothersome

Now coming to the best part. The way to the resort was steep uphill climb spanning over a few kms. Google maps showed 2 routes with similar ETA and to my luck I chose the road less travelled. It was a gravel road with pot holes, big stones, narrow and steep. I wouldn't have tried this in any of my previous vehicles. It was a cake walk for Jimny. Travelled effortlessly over the terrain without any hitch. Wifey was also super impressed. We also climbed a few big rocky hillocks on the way.
Another instance- we were driving through a forest and they were building a new bridge with the approach road yet to be completed - quite steep and high with big boulders. Again it was effortless for Jimny( other vehicles were taking a detour)

These are the small things which made me feel that I made a good buy. Of course it's heart over the head anyday. But there are times when you should listen to your heart
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-fullsizerender.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_1276.jpeg  

jojoinassi is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 09:25   #1803
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone installed the OEM Front Parking Assist System Part No: 990J0M80T21-010 ?
I would like to know how it integrates to the existing system? Does it need a separate screen/LED indicator?
Old 29th August 2023, 09:50   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I would like to know how it integrates to the existing system. Does it need a separate screen/LED indicator?
It comes with a small, separate display which can be placed on the dash. Similar to an aftermarket reverse parking sensor display, but with a proper coupler-to-coupler fitting.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 09:58   #1805
Senior - BHPian

I am in the last leg of convincing myself to get the Jimny as put down on this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5606246

While talking to a few dealers here in Pune, it looks like the Jimny is available off the shelf now. While one dealer said 2-3 months, another has many in stock for ready delivery. Heard the same from a friend who just picked up his Jimny in Bangalore.
Old 29th August 2023, 10:47   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I am in the last leg of convincing myself to get the Jimny as put down on this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5606246

While talking to a few dealers here in Pune, it looks like the Jimny is available off the shelf now. While one dealer said 2-3 months, another has many in stock for ready delivery. Heard the same from a friend who just picked up his Jimny in Bangalore.
Which dealer Bangalore please? Could you find out?
Old 29th August 2023, 10:59   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Which dealer Bangalore please? Could you find out?
This was at Bimal Auto in Marathahalli and was the situation about 2 weeks back.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 16:02   #1808
BHPian

Quote:

I went through this process. What helped was an objective analysis of what I really want without the VFM thoughts clouding the mind. After all, how many times in life do we buy a vehicle like this. Truly and totally happy with my purchase, I smile like an enlightened person when someone says that you could have bought this or that. Each to his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3636.jpeg  

IB290 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 20:03   #1809
BHPian

Greetings,

Need advice by senior members.

I see this blue coolant temperature light upon starting my Jimny and it disappears after few seconds.
My doubt is,
1) Is it ok to drive while it's still showing?
2) Will it subside eventually after few thousand kms or should I be worried??

Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230813_091515.jpg  

Last edited by matchvan : 29th August 2023 at 20:04.
Old 29th August 2023, 20:27   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings,

Need advice by senior members.

I see this blue coolant temperature light upon starting my Jimny and it disappears after few seconds.
My doubt is,
1) Is it ok to drive while it's still showing?
2) Will it subside eventually after few thousand kms or should I be worried??

Thank You.
1. Perfectly ok to drive with this on. It just shows that coolant temp isn’t up to optimal operating levels, so ideally don’t operate the car at high rpm until it goes out.

2. No it won’t go away after a few thousand kms. It’s a standard feature from the indications pack in the car and very useful to have around too.

Enjoy your car
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 20:34   #1811
BHPian

I have the same blue light on my Ignis 2022 model. The light goes off once the engine (or coolant) has reach the operating temperature. It then does not come on again until the engine cools down sufficiently.
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 07:50   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, its a similar case in Mumbai too, the kinetic yellow Jimny is available for ready delivery, while white and other colours aren't.
Old 30th August 2023, 09:37   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
My observations with a recent 750 km trip with Jimny over three days
Could you please share details about the dashcam you have installed on your Jimny.
Old 30th August 2023, 11:46   #1814
BHPian

Rear seat belt alarm fix-

Here's what I did -

Removed the rear bottom seat cushion by opening 2 bolts under the boot carpet and pulling it out from the restrainers in front.

Unplugged the alarm joint.

Maruti Jimny Review-rear_seat_belt_fix.jpg

That's it.

Yes, I understand that if I have passengers in the rear they should be belted and I'll take care of that.
But since 90% of the time there's just two of us and sometimes we fold the rear seat to get more luggage space - this should help remove an irritant.
dileep is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 12:21   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazeer_ahamed View Post
Could you please share details about the dashcam you have installed on your Jimny.

70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dash Cam
I opted for the front cam only
From Amazon
jojoinassi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks