Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2023, 12:28   #1786
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Fellow Jimny owners:

1. What is the idling RPM of the car? Mine idles around 600-700 RPM when the AC compressor cuts off. This leads to a slight juddering at standstill.

2. I have an MT. When I take a pick up with slight throttle input, there is no torque available to get the car off the line. I have to rev up to 1-1.5k RPM and then slip the clutch a little every time I get off the line. Occassionally , when I try to save the clutch, I end up stalling the car like a novice.

I'm wondering if this is due to the low idling RPM and if I should bring this up with the service engineers during the first service?
Old 26th August 2023, 16:33   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Had a fantastic Independence day OTR.
While driving on slush/water with e height of above the door sil, water entered into the cabin through the left door. The water can be drained out by opening the drain plugs located under the carpet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
This is when water entered through the front left door. The car got stuck here for a while and it took about 5 to 7 minutes of rocking for it to finally come out. The doors in Jimny don't really stop water ingress. If you want to do lots of water wading then better remove the carpet before diving in. Ah yes also add a diff breather kit.

How deep do you think was the slush/water?
Did you have a problem of water entering the diffs?

Someone had mentioned the ARB diff breather kit but I don't know if that is available. Are there any other options that are available locally?

Also to Gypsy owners - (Since the GC is same for both, maybe the diff height is also similar - only guessing)
1. Does the Gypsy also need diff breathers when tackling water crossings deeper than the diff level?
2. And if someone has installed them could a similar setup be done on the Jimny?
Old 26th August 2023, 17:15   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Fellow Jimny owners:

1. What is the idling RPM of the car? Mine idles around 600-700 RPM when the AC compressor cuts off. This leads to a slight juddering at standstill.

2. I have an MT. When I take a pick up with slight throttle input, there is no torque available to get the car off the line. I have to rev up to 1-1.5k RPM and then slip the clutch a little every time I get off the line. Occassionally , when I try to save the clutch, I end up stalling the car like a novice.

I'm wondering if this is due to the low idling RPM and if I should bring this up with the service engineers during the first service?

From one MT owner to another:

1. At cold start and before turning on the ac, the car fires up and stays at 1100 RPM. This is held silently and smoothly for about 30 secs before the engine starts dropping RPM gradually till it settles at an even 800 RPM, no judder. I wait for this phase before I start rolling the car and never fire the ac till the blue ‘running cold’ lamp has gone out.

2. This point is partially familiar. This engine feels fairly rev-happy till 4.5K RPM and even a light jab on the throttle sends the needle swinging up. That, combined with the early bite from the clutch, makes it tricky for the driver not to stall the car when new. In my case, it grew a habit where I inevitably end up racing the engine a bit at takeoff. This overtly sensitive clutch also causes a jerky progress while driving between shifts, until I force-trained muscle memory to ‘release clutch-tap gas’ to improve matters. Is that familiar?
SUVolens is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 00:15   #1789
BHPian

For those looking for underbody protection points and diff breather fitment, below videos may be helpful.

Hope there will be more local options available soon or atleast official import options for Jimny considering global product with quite an age in the market now.
offroad_maniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 23:06   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
Is there a way to install a sensor? Or if nothing, to turn off the beeps?
Yank on the seat base cushion of rear seat from both edges towards the nose of the vehicle. It will lift up (front end will come loose, rear end will be still connected but it will pivot).

At the center you will see the sockets which connect to rear seat belt clips. Unclip them and bobs you uncle.

No more beeping.

Cheers
vishwaschettri is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 06:20   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivC View Post
This has a built in Amplifier as well and the Polk Speakers connected to the Sony do a wonderful job with the sound.
Appreciate sharing the link.

I am bit confused. The Sony compact sub woofer has its own built in amplifier. However, I am not sure how you drive your Polk Audio speakers via the Sony sub woofer amplifier. Either thats running of its own dedicated amplifier (Not from the Sony sub amp) or there's something else going on.
Old 28th August 2023, 09:19   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
How deep do you think was the slush/water?
Did you have a problem of water entering the diffs?

Someone had mentioned the ARB diff breather kit but I don't know if that is available. Are there any other options that are available locally?
Differentials are designed in such a way that some little splash of water or slush won’t affect anything internally. If it is submerged fully in water in running condition for a prolonged period things may worsen due to sudden temperature gradient.

While ARB/Ironman diff. breather kits are some viable options, they cost a bomb to be imported in India. Rather, I can suggest you fabricate it for yourself if you are keen to have one.

In this process, you will end up spending 1/100 times the cost of the off-the-shelf kit with equal functionality. All that you need to procure are a few meters of 8mm/5mm (OD/ID) polyurethane pneumatic tubings or fuel hose with similar dia., a pair of fuel filter units for bikes, a few zip ties and metal clamps to fix the endings.

You can run it up to the position of your preference and tie it with the underbody at some distance intervals. You will have a working diff. breather kit.
Blooming Flower is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:38   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
a pair of fuel filter units for bikes
Are you talking about fuel filters or fuel breathers (the ones that go on top of the fuel tank)?
In principle a breather setup is just a hose extension and I too have been contemplating to make a DIY breather setup but only issue is the termination plug of the hose. I suppose the hose should terminate into a one way valve of some sorts. Correct? Are bike fuel filters one way?
Or,
Can we use the existing breather of Jimny (or any other suitable/fitting vehicle) and stick that on the end of pipe?
Old 28th August 2023, 09:46   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
I suppose the hose should terminate into a one way valve of some sorts. Correct? Are bike fuel filters one way?
?

Fuel filters like this.
https://www.amazon.in/Petrol-Filter-.../dp/B09YXNF4J6
For reference only. You can purchase the same from the local market well within Rs. 50 per pc.

A one-way valve is already there in the differential itself. For added protection diff. breather is suggested on top of that. Essentially, if you position the other end inside the engine bay at some secured location where no foreign contaminants can be present, the valve concept isn't that much required for both-way fuel filters. As I already mentioned, the functionality will be similar, but the form factor or ergonomics of the ready-made kits will be better, no doubt.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 28th August 2023 at 09:48.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:51   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
A one-way valve is already there in the differential itself. For added protection diff. breather is suggested on top of that.
Ok. Thank you. Yes, makes sense to have a one way valve inside the differential and have breather on top to vent out the gases when needed.

Edit: Saw this link in one of the TBHP threads. Sums up in pics what was mentioned by Blooming Flower. I am definitely going to give this a try.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...Extensions.htm

Last edited by sammysossa : 28th August 2023 at 09:59.
sammysossa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 11:32   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
I doubt that normal tc off (not maintainence mode) in 2H helps much other than disabling hill hold (and not actually stop the tc from functioning. Can you confirm please.
Normal TC off is basically Traction Control off and not just disabling hill hold. The switch for that is besides that.

Only in 4L, if you keep the TC button held the ESP will turn off too. That even reduces any power cut.

But normal TC off is good in 99% situations.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 11:54   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Normal TC off is basically Traction Control off and not just disabling hill hold. The switch for that is besides that.

Only in 4L, if you keep the TC button held the ESP will turn off too. That even reduces any power cut.

But normal TC off is good in 99% situations.
This is absolutely confusing. In 4L mode, ESP (1st level TC- only to modulate engine power based on wheel slip) is off by default. Holding ESP button in 4L just turns off the hill hold assist, and at the same time, HDC also is off.

It would be prudent to mention, ESP is the mother set consisting of the stability control system, traction control system, HHC, HDC, engine A-Stop system, and safety support system (brake assist). Even ABS and BLSD are also connected with ESP system in a tandem feedback loop. If the TC light is on in the MID (other than 4L mode) while the car is running, all the aforementioned systems, except ABS, BLSD and HHC will stop functioning.

For snow and ice, TC on provides superior control than TC off.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 28th August 2023 at 12:00.
Blooming Flower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 12:41   #1798
Distinguished - BHPian

What if Suzuki made a Land Cruiser?

The styling features of the Suzuki Jimny were digitally applied on the much larger bodywork of the new Land Cruiser J250 Series.

Quote:
Although their footprints are quite different, the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado and the Suzuki Jimny are two of the most desirable off-roaders these days. Digital artist Theottle took inspiration from the cross-collaboration between Toyota and Suzuki, creating a fictional Land Cruiser-based model with Jimny looks.
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230828-124010.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230828-124045.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th August 2023 at 12:43.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 15:20   #1799
BHPian

How effective are the UV Cut glasses in preventing heat from entering into the cabin. Is it necessary to fix sun control film on the Alpha model. I'm sorry if this has been discussed already.
Old 28th August 2023, 16:05   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazeer_ahamed View Post
How effective are the UV Cut glasses in preventing heat from entering into the cabin. Is it necessary to fix sun control film on the Alpha model. I'm sorry if this has been discussed already.
Very effective I would say. Even the cooling of the cabin is much quicker. I am infact surprised that other manufacturers are taking so much time to provide UV cut glasses especially since tinting is banned.

Last edited by prashant316 : 28th August 2023 at 16:06. Reason: Typo
prashant316 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks