Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 11:47   #1696
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
As to the turning circle, it is NOT because of the 4X4 or the solid axle, boss.
I always thought turning radius is due to the design birfield ends limitation / design to keep longevity high. The topple story while interesting, is not really the actual reason I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
A very helpful pictorial explanation indeed.

Am sharing the video for better understanding about under what circumstances water entered into the cabin. .
Very difficult to fathom, even old gen Thar I used to have never let in any water with such body flex. Are you sure the doors were shut tight?

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2023 at 12:28.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 14:23   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A very helpful pictorial explanation indeed.

Am sharing the video for better understanding about under what circumstances water entered into the cabin.
Would AT tyres have made it easier for the car to climb out of the slush?

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 14:40   #1698
BHPian

Quote:

Am sharing the video for better understanding about under what circumstances water entered into the cabin.

Video courtesy- D-Bhpian SS-Traveller, & the last 30 to 40 secs is from the car's dash-cam.
Wow. Accelerator control is really amazing. It just goes to show what the Jimny is capable of in the hands of a good driver. Even the cow in the background also seems to approve.
The red Jimny does seem to have AT tyres.
Neil Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 14:48   #1699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
It does work with the automatic and manual transmission.
Direct plug and play, no errors,45 bhp enhancement.
If you want more than 45 bhp the ECU needs to be changed.
This particular mod was done by Pitshop,Hyderabad.
Represented by Yogesh 9121012142.
Please call him he can give you all details.
Have a lot of questions.
1. How is the AT Caliberated for more power..
2. Dont you need an injector change?
3. How are the EGT's and Combustion temps affecting reliability.
4. How is the FE after turbo?
5. Whats the cost??
6. and more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
A....
... reduced the maximum turning angle. ...
I dont think the last few degress of steering angle, which really helps in reducing the turning radius, but none at all in high speed turns have been restricted by Suzuki to not make the vehicle topple.

Wider track, yes, last few degrees of steering angle..well..

Last edited by dhanushs : 18th August 2023 at 14:52.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 14:56   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
:
Are you trying to cancel or proceed?
I am trying to cancel with Autopace Nexa Chandigarh and then proceed with an alternate dealer where they are open to interact on some basic elements like Test Drive, expected delivery dates etc.
Old 18th August 2023, 18:44   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
I am trying to cancel with Autopace Nexa Chandigarh and then proceed with an alternate dealer where they are open to interact on some basic elements like Test Drive, expected delivery dates etc.
You should secure the delivery first from the alternate dealership and then cancel your original booking. If your original booking was made before price reveal, there won't be any cancellation charge deduction. If it was made post price reveal, there will be deduction of a nominal cancellation charge of 500 Indian rupees!

I secured the delivery first and then cancelled other two bookings. 12th January booking amount was returned within 7 days. 8th June booking amount is stuck. MSIL giving lame excuses that dealership account is in negative balance. Don't know what exactly that means.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th August 2023 at 19:42. Reason: A word.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 19:06   #1702
BHPian

Quote:

On the left the water level was few inches above the door sil and the car took around 10 mins to come out. While entering the water body it was in 1st High, later I tried to take it out in 4Low, 2nd and 3rd. In 4L, 3rd the power was lacking, it came out in 4L, 2nd. The traction control was switched off throughout the time.
What was the reason to turn off the traction control ? Isn't it supposed to assist in situations like this?
arundeepbv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 20:51   #1703
BHPian

Although I had given up on the Jimny after the price reveal, I was holding on to my booking till last week, having booked one in January. Just in case of change of mind, I did not want myself at the backend of the queue. After finally confirming my booking cancellation beginning of the week, I received the refund today. And to my surprise, I received the full booking amount sans the cancellation charge deduction.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 21:23   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundeepbv View Post
What was the reason to turn off the traction control ? Isn't it supposed to assist in situations like this?
Off-roading - or any sports event for that matter, electrical assists must be switched off. TC should be switched off. It’ll constantly keep Hunting for grip and “meddle” with your inputs.

It’s just to make the vehicle “OG” and old school to tackle obstacles. Especially when you need raw vehicle response in such situations. It’s about your skills as a driver and level the playing field. TC and ABS etc are assists which are good. But as a driver one must strive to be better and have better control of the vehicle.
This is more about being one with the machine. Your brain controlling and not it’s own brain doing something it doesn’t know.

I hope I articulated it clear.

Last edited by AjayV : 18th August 2023 at 21:25.
AjayV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 22:21   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
TC should be switched off. It’ll constantly keep Hunting for grip and “meddle” with your inputs.
I cannot expect a better explanation than this.

To add to this, many modern electronically equipped off-road vehicles offer an 'off-road' driving mode. Sometimes, this mode isn't even linked with the active feedback-looped 'terrain sensing/ terrain response mode'. This mode essentially cuts off many electronic features and warnings that might create untoward interference while off-roading.

In jimny hill hold assist, hill descent control are also the part of extended traction control (ESP) system. One can even turn them off manually in 4L mode. This can be considered as 2nd level of TC off.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 22:35   #1706

I was at Nexa Marathahalli showroom last week to check out Baleno.

Looking at Jimmy, I couldn’t help but mutter “cute” under my breath. It’s a cute car. Build of the car, relatively speaking, “seemed” good. Interior space is horrible. I am a big guy and there is no way my shoulders wouldn’t be rubbing on someone riding shotgun with me. Good visibility though.

The service advisor was least bothered to sell the Jimmy to me. “Don’t you already know all this?” Was the vibe I got every time I tried quizzing him.

P.S - No test drive available for any car in their portfolio. Not even Baleno. The security uncle begrudgingly wrote my name and number in a register which had seen better days and promised a call in a “few days”. Where were the sales reps you ask? Nowhere near customers and busy with their phones.
Old 19th August 2023, 01:10   #1707
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
Off-roading - or any sports event for that matter, electrical assists must be switched off. TC should be switched off. It’ll constantly keep Hunting for grip and “meddle” with your inputs.
Not accurate I am afraid. TC will stop your wheel from spinning constantly when you need it - while in some situations you need that wheel spin to dig into the surface to muster some kind of grip.

It’s not really about being old-school or “purist”…
Ragul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 07:41   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to popular opinion, traction control should be on in slippery conditions so you have the benefit of tech to control spinning wheels and direct power instead of burning the clutch.

Applies to motorcycles as well where traction control has been the norm for a while now.
Old 19th August 2023, 07:46   #1709
BHPian

Mod Note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Not accurate I am afraid. TC will stop your wheel from spinning constantly when you need it - while in some situations you need that wheel spin to dig into the surface to muster some kind of grip.

It’s not really about being old-school or “purist”…
Yeah The purist explanation has a nice ring to it, but I’m afraid it’s more elementary than that. As correctly pointed out, TC essentially will cut power to the gripless wheel/s and may also apply calibrated braking when required - all to keep the car from moving out of the safer or intended trajectory, like while going around a slippery bend at speed.
When you’re bogged down in sand/mud/snow etc, this same intervention would actually prevent you from effective self-rescue. Switching off TC allows all wheels to come to the rescue party.
In 4L, if you hold down the ECS button, all or most electronic aids are cut off and the MID announces that in an all-orange display matching the dials. Pretty cool that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, traction control should be on in slippery conditions so you have the benefit of tech to control spinning wheels and direct power instead of burning the clutch.

Applies to motorcycles as well where traction control has been the norm for a while now.
If you meant slippery sealed surfaces eg. roads etc, then yes - TC must be on when available. And that’s also the reason cars like the Jimny by default don’t allow TC to be switched off when above 30 kmph, indicating sealed surface driving conditions. That’s the same for modern bikes as well.
However, both off-road capable cars and bikes, ‘allow’ the operator to switch of TC on unsealed terrain, since a computerised intervention to cut power may run contrary to what instinct expects and messes with the experience and may even cause spills. At that point, it needs to be more about what the brain says than what the vehicle’s brain decides. And also, spinning wheels dig better and help in some situations.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th August 2023 at 10:56. Reason: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.
SUVolens is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 08:35   #1710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
If you meant slippery sealed surfaces eg. roads etc, then yes - TC must be on when available. And that’s also the reason cars like the Jimny by default don’t allow TC to be switched off when above 30 kmph, indicating sealed surface driving conditions. That’s the same for modern bikes as well.
However, both off-road capable cars and bikes, ‘allow’ the operator to switch of TC on unsealed terrain, since a computerised intervention to cut power may run contrary to what instinct expects and messes with the experience and may even cause spills. At that point, it needs to be more about what the brain says than what the vehicle’s brain decides. And also, spinning wheels dig better and help in some situations.
Your textual inputs seem valid on the face of it.

In the real world when bogged in mud with zero traction at 17000 feet, I have used traction control to successfully extricate myself. Else it was about burning the clutch "old school style".

Similarly, when I was riding up a fast paced incline which was slippery, my traction control kicked in and I had a fall. I had forgotten to switch it off.

Using traction control needs the application of common sense and trial and error (sometimes).

Look around you, understand the situation, and use the tools given.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th August 2023 at 23:52. Reason: i —> I. Please capitalise text where needed.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks