Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2023, 09:28   #1591
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Jimny is not that reliable. There is no sound on any of the 4 speakers from day-0. The ICE head unit sound amplifier is suspected to be faulty. Dealership is asking me to leave the Jimny at their service centre for few days for fault detection and warranty replacement.

It was working fine when I did the PDI in the morning. After accessories fitment and delivery, I didn't check the electricals again. Later when I drove out, switched off the ICE screen thinking it could be a distraction. After arriving at home and completing Puja etc., When I switched on and tried to play some music, there was no sound.
I don't think this is about the reliability of the manufactured car but most likely an after issue with the accessory fitments.
Red Liner is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 09:36   #1592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Jimny is not that reliable. There is no sound on any of the 4 speakers from day-0. The ICE head unit sound amplifier is suspected to be faulty. Dealership is asking me to leave the Jimny at their service centre for few days for fault detection and warranty replacement.

It was working fine when I did the PDI in the morning. After accessories fitment and delivery, I didn't check the electricals again. Later when I drove out, switched off the ICE screen thinking it could be a distraction. After arriving at home and completing Puja etc., When I switched on and tried to play some music, there was no sound.
What accessories did you fit? It could be just the fuse blown or some other circuit that is shorted due to accessory fitment.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 10:13   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What accessories did you fit? It could be just the fuse blown or some other circuit that is shorted due to accessory fitment.
The only electrical accessory is illuminated scuff plates for front door frame. One NEXA service centre observed that harness wires have been spliced inside the A-pillars, whereas the Dealership guy says it's a coupler to coupler connection. Rest of the accessories are non-electrical cosmetic look type.

Checked the owners manual. There is no separate fuse for the speaker signal circuit. Head unit display, Android Auto connection, other indications, touchscreen configuration of sound Equalizer and fader all are good. The screen shows the Amazon music track playing. I am attaching one photograph for this music track playing. Volume increase/ decrease touch buttons also show volume +/- horizontal bar.

I guess this splicing voids electrical warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230806_220114614_hdr.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230806_215429095_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by RijuC : 8th August 2023 at 10:17.
RijuC is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 10:22   #1594
BHPian

Introducing HACHIKO..... my Granite Grey Jimny Alpha MT

Maruti Jimny Review-img_8637.jpg

Got my car delivered on 14th last month and yes I have taken a bit of time before penning this down. Reason being that I wanted to get over the initial "halo phase" and get to know the car a bit practically before putting any conclusions. My intention here will not be to justify my purchase, but rather to point out matters and observations from a first hand experience, and be of help to others who can gain any kind of help regarding their queries and decisions.

Senior BHPian 1100D’s throughout involvement requires a special mention. Not only his insights and experience were the basis and foundation of our decision to firstly consider waiting for and going for the Jimny (something that was decided years back), but he had also dwelled into various mathematical and mechanical analysis, which resulted, at times, in hours of conversations (involving gear ratios, final drive ratio etc…) All this while in the other part of the universe random reviews and speculations about the car were sprouting like weeds. So basically we already had a very clear picture of what to expect and what not to. 1100D had also listed me the accessories I should go for, sadly NEXA hasn’t been able to provide most of them.

Maruti Jimny Review-fullsizerender-copy-3.jpg

My journey with Hachiko began on 16th Jan, when my vessel was anchored in Argentina. There was just news that the car was launched and bookings are open. Have been waiting and following the car for years now and from what I knew, all I had to really ensure was that the Jimny truly had 5 doors and a 2nd row of seat. Absolutely nothing else was there to check or verify from my POV since the car was already an established one worldwide and its credentials were nothing new. So booking done online, ships sails out the next day and my wait begins.

7th May the display vehicle arrives in my dealership.

Me and 1100D payed a visit and gave the car a thorough check out. All we could take away from our first introduction with the car were smiles. One really could not help but notice how well the vehicle has been put together. There is purposeful engineering written all over it!

14th July we took Hachiko home and on 15th Saturday, we were doing this --

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230715111542.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0902.jpeg
The legendary Marengo from 1100D’s stable in the background.

The next week, After making it very clear that Hachiko loves to get dirty, we (me, 1100D and Sandip da) headed to put the car to its natural habitat. And boy what fun we had! But what surprised us was that Hachiko was having even more fun! Please note I am still running on stock tires at stock recommended pressure.

Maruti Jimny Review-_dsc0474.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_8585min.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_8594min.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_8600min.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-_dsc0550.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-10.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_8622.jpg

Now wrapping it up here are a few key points I would like to mention –

The car doesn’t have seat height adjust, and I am a very short guy. Infact seemingly no Jimny on earth has it. This, like I said was also taken into account and I had acquired a lumber support/ cushion for this purpose, way before the car was delivered. Things are under control now.

Lack of storage spaces – This thing really is a bummer. There is practically zero place to keep anything at all. This needs to be addressed before I head out for any kind of a long journey. Thankfully thre are accessories available for this purpose, something I will install as time comes.

The steering defies all logic and turns out to be fabulous. I don’t know how they did it.

The rest of the pro’s and con’s are a part and parcel of every car there is and I don’t think any one of them require a special mention other than these. I am intentionally refraining from giving any kind of opinions and review from my side since there are plenty of it already everywhere. And since I am actually owning the car, there remains,if not but a slight possibility of confirmation bias playing on my side.
Having said that the only word that can define the car is ADEQUATE.

Maruti Jimny Review-6.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-_dsc0471.jpg  

Last edited by shourya_lahiri : 8th August 2023 at 10:25. Reason: Grammar
shourya_lahiri is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 20:26   #1595
BHPian

Prashant , Debojyoti and me try to explain BLSD at our best.
purohitanuj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 22:33   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madraspaiyan View Post
Useful upgrade. Is this removable when not required?
Yes,can be removed in 10 minutes.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 08:05   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
But why couldn't Maruti put a better engine in the Gypsy, provide it with a power steering and factory fitted AC?
Maruti did bring Gypsy with factory fitted AC for some period of time, in the 80's itself. It was later discontinued. Bhpian keroo1099 owns one such example, and here's the picture of his red '86 model carburettor Gypsy. Even the Omni had factory fitted AC for some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20210127wa00172.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th August 2023 at 08:23.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 08:58   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Prashant , Debojyoti and me try to explain BLSD at our best.
https://Youtu.be/1ulJ8PQOOI0
Really Really appreciate the effort that you guys have put in this. An extremely useful video.

Thanks again for doing this.
shourya_lahiri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:01   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
..Not only his insights and experience were the basis and foundation of our decision to firstly consider waiting for and going for the Jimny (something that was decided years back), but he had also dwelled into various mathematical and mechanical analysis, which resulted, at times, in hours of conversations (involving gear ratios, final drive ratio etc…) All this while in the other part of the universe random reviews and speculations about the car were sprouting like weeds. So basically we already had a very clear picture of what to expect and what not to.

..One really could not help but notice how well the vehicle has been put together. There is purposeful engineering written all over it!

Having said that the only word that can define the car is ADEQUATE.

First of all congratulations on acquiring this marvellous machine. As a total package, what is what, what to expect and why to expect are clearly articulated in the first few lines of the quoted part. Many prefer to dwell on flashy, superficial things and make hasty buying decisions based on these. Your statements are quite indicative of what an informed buyer does and doesn't. Jimny is a car for those who like to thrive on GTD strategy.

The last two sentences of the quote can aptly epitomize what Jimny is!

Wish you many more happy miles, OTR sessions, and a fuss-free ownership experience.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 12:11   #1600
Senior - BHPian

HI Guys,

Just a general question.

What Grade of oil is used in the jimny ?

How many litres of it ?

I assume it is semi-synthetic. Any recommendations to switch to fully synthetic ?
Old 9th August 2023, 13:14   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
HI Guys,

Just a general question.

What Grade of oil is used in the jimny ?

How many litres of it ?

I assume it is semi-synthetic. Any recommendations to switch to fully synthetic ?
I got these from the Owners Manual.
All kinds of oils & fluids are listed here.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny5doils.png  

Old 9th August 2023, 15:06   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
I got these from the Owners Manual.
All kinds of oils & fluids are listed here.
Thanks for the reply. So 0W16 is the oil which is used or do the dealers go 0W30 or OW40 higher for our temps and use someother oil ?

Someone who got the first service can confirm ?
Old 9th August 2023, 15:46   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Thanks for the reply. So 0W16 is the oil which is used or do the dealers go 0W30 or OW40 higher for our temps and use someother oil ?

Someone who got the first service can confirm ?
Got my first service done sometime back and got a oil change as well. Wanted fully synthetic engine oil and Castrol 5W-40 was used.

I think this is more suited to our weather conditions and is also one of SAE Grades recommended for All Seasons globally along with 10W-40, 10W-50, 15-W50 and of course 5W-40.
ShivC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 00:13   #1604
BHPian

Hello All, I took delivery of my Zeta MT today. It was great to get the keys of Jimny finally! I remember searching for Jimny news in this forum and Google in general since 2021. In between the Scorpio N came and a price protected option almost swayed me. Even the Thar. But then Jimny was fitting better in my use case, and in the hindsight I am happy that I stuck with it and waited for it. It replaced my second car, an elderly Santro with lots of memories associated with it. Jimny will probably create the next generation of memories.

I am super grateful to this forum for all the direct and in-direct feedback. For instance, SHANKAR BALAN’s post on Jimny vs Thar (while I agree that the 2 are not comparable) helped me convince my better half. But that is for now. I feel my next car will be a Mahindra - couple of years down the line may be. And I do lookup admirably every time a Scorpio N passes by.

Till then, “… take me home, to the place I belong …”
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3606.jpeg  

Last edited by IB290 : 10th August 2023 at 00:15.
IB290 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 00:13   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
Introducing HACHIKO..... my Granite Grey Jimny Alpha MT
Congratulations on being one of the first owners of Jimny from Kolkata chapter. The big question now is, how soon is it going to scale Sandakphu ?

Name:  removalPhotoRoom.png
Views: 1005
Size:  381.1 KB
Samfromindia is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks