Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2023, 09:36   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Since the Jimny is officially a 4 seater on paper can one get pulled over by cops if three people are seated at the back? There is no seat belt for a third passenger at the back so can it be fitted from official sources or from the after market?
There is no space for 3 persons at the back. Indeed it is a bad idea to seat three persons at the back because there is no centre seat belt. And the rule is that all passengers in any car, front and rear, have to be belted up. Its just safer for everyone.

Hence any cop who is observant enough and duty conscious enough will pull you up and fine you.

From a technical point, there is no mounting point either for the third seat belt if you want to install one but I am sure there will be some kind of adapter which can be jerry-rigged if it is absolutely necessary to have three persons at the back of the Jimny. But I am not sure whether the mounting point with such an adapter will have the appropriate properly tested load rating for such a jerry-rig job.

I am also very sure that in our rural areas we will see the Jimny someday being used as a people carrier squashing in 5-6 people in the seats plus one or two squatting in the boot area. The same way we see Bolero Maxi Trucks with daily wage labourers being transported in the truck bed.

It is also entirely possible that families in the cities too may squash in 6-7 persons in the Jimny, the way they do in the Eeco and similar.

But this is more an exception because the Jimny at this point, is not affordable as an option for that segment.

Question is, how comfortable are those like us on this forum, doing all this? I for one, am not and hence won’t.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 11:08   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I guess Thar owners are feeling threatened with the Jimny craze.
As some have said earlier on this forum, other than the fact that both are "lifestyle" 4x4 SWB BoF vehicles, there is not much in common between the Thar and the Jimny. Both exude completely different vibes and have individual character of their own. Being an ex-Gypsy owner and a current Thar owner, I really like the Jimny for what it has to offer and would have probably picked one up already had it been offered in the 2-door guise by MSIL. As for the "show-off" bit by Thar owners, it continues to be an unfortunate trait on our roads, not just for Thars but multitude of other cars. Just need to learn to live with it.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 11:20   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Same! I've had a few come up next to me, hold pace, stare and accelerate quickly. You can tell admiration, these incidents weren't that. Very specific to Thar drivers though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Experienced this first hand yesterday. Appears to have caught on at KA too.
That seems to be the typical modus-operandi. I don't see why they act that ways because both vehicles are capable and has its own advantage/disadvantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Not to say that Thar is a bad product, but to me ride quality and overall practical/efficient use of space including decent luggage/boot space is important to me.
So, as you said, I patiently waited for the Jimny.
I too was excited about the new Thar and booked Diesel HT AT, but found that it would not suit my requirement and so I decided to wait it out for the Jimny which suit me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is a ‘Size-inadequacy’ issue. In many threads many people think ‘bigger is better’ and keep talking of ‘road-presence’ and all, which as I have often said and continue to say, are merely covert euphemisms for ‘using size to intimidate’. This is an immature attitude for sure, but it is an inexorable affliction or disease which besets many on the road. Best is to just keep going and dont rise to the bait.
I have come to appreciate smaller vehicles in general, especially when it is just 4 people or less than 4 people on board traveling for most of the vehicle's lifetime with its owner. Large size can be used to bully around to try and make way on the road but its not the right way to get ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I guess Thar owners are feeling threatened with the Jimny craze. Apart from the power and refinement of the Thar engines (and drivetrain), the Jimny seems to be more than a match in all other departments.
For intimidation, speed and power - thar, for everything else - jimny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Reminds me of @Cresterk's encounters with Innova Crysta owners when they see his Innova Hycross.
It seems Hycross vs crysta is not as prevalent as this particular case being discussed here as there seems to be only one report of that on the forum. And personally i have seen crysta and hycross owners minding their own business sharing the road on the highway and does not seem to get riled up with the presence of the other. I have a crysta, its fast(er), but i don't feel the need to get worked up in the presence of a hycross.
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Since the Jimny is officially a 4 seater on paper can one get pulled over by cops if three people are seated at the back? There is no seat belt for a third passenger at the back so can it be fitted from official sources or from the after market?
All 4 meter thereabouts 4WD options in this price range are legally 4 seaters with 4 seats and 4 seat belts - thar, gurkha, jimny. So the 5th passenger's liability will be on driver/vehicle owner, as would be the liability of the extra passenger in any over crowded vehicle which is the norm rather than the exception on our roads.

5th person in thar/jimny/gurkha illegal.
6th person in hatch/sedan illegal.
7th person in a 6 seater (eg: xL6) illegal.
8th peron in a 7 seater (eg: ertiga/innova captain seat) illegal.
9th person in a 8 seater (Eg: innova bench seat) illegal.
etc...
--
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 11:48   #1579
BHPian

Guys,
I have purchased the classic grill and made a DIY video. Hope its helpful. I paid 5500 for the grill.

Maruti Jimny Review-ji1.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-jii.jpg
Maruti Jimny Review-ji2.png
purohitanuj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:33   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Guys,
I have purchased the classic grill and made a DIY video. Hope its helpful. I paid 5500 for the grill.

Attachment 2486779
Attachment 2486781
Attachment 2486780
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=AH2B4Nwl2iY
Nice, a SUZUKI logo would complete the look. This is the same as Suzuki heritage grill except the latter is gloss painted and has SUZUKI logo. Has this started to become available locally or did you have to import it from china(alibaba)? I started liking the stock slotted grille for its roots, so decided to retain it minus the chrome.

Maruti Jimny Review-copy.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 7th August 2023 at 12:48.
Sankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:44   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Yet to hit the 500Km mark but I feel like some celebrity in the Jimny. Everyone stares at the car. I've had so many smiles come my way, no winks so far (depressing?) and the little tyke definitely perks everyone up. People come up to me to ask about the car and the smile gets wiped off their face when they hear the price. At that point the "Oh what a smart man with such a nice car!" becomes "Oh what an absolute crackpot! Must be daddy's money! Spoilt brat!".

I can't get over the pricing. As much as I love it, I have to live with the fact that it is a Wagon R class vehicle for all practical purposes with slightly better build quality and 4x4. I suppose this is what it feels like to pay silly money for a 70 series LC, another "dream" I hope to achieve soon.

Biggest annoyance is the auto start stop. They really should reverse the function to be OFF by default and ON when the owner feels they want to use this absolutely rubbish feature. If someone has a proper workaround for it, please let me know.

Went off-roading over the weekend. A lot of sand dune climbs, descents and some cross-country sandy riverbed driving. The Jimny performs admirably within the limitations of its GC and engine output. I believe it could use a throttle tuner chip to "crispen" up the throttle response and an air filter, exhaust to help it spool up faster and develop a bit more power perhaps.
gsferrari is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:46   #1582
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny and Thar can co-exist. Market says so as both shows M-O-M growth.

July sales:

Thar - 5265 (Growth 35%)
Jimny - 3778 (23%)

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230807-124355.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th August 2023 at 12:49.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 14:07   #1583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Biggest annoyance is the auto start stop.
Quickfix - bonnet latch lock switch modification. Idle Stop Start (ISS) does not work with bonnet open.

Elaborate fix - Pnp ISS auto canceller. Pricey. Comes with a minor glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I believe it could use a throttle tuner chip to "crispen" up the throttle response and an air filter, exhaust to help it spool up faster and develop a bit more power perhaps.
Exhaust and air filter should help. K&N 33-3151 is a stock replacement. Plugs NGK RX DCP6ERX-11P made for Jimny K15B.
Maruti Jimny Review-333151.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2023 at 00:32. Reason: ISS- Idle Stop Start.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 15:18   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Some updates that went on as and when I got time, but in no particular order...

1) NGK RX Ruthenium plugs, 2) K&N stock replacement filter, 3) 1st service done, 4) KyoEi black lug nuts, 5) EXEA power extension unit, 6) apio anodised aluminium 4WD shift plate (like the riveted plates on old jeeps), 7) rear seat belt alarm disabled, 8) blacked out front grille chrome, 9) mitsuba dolce 3 horn (transferred from crysta)
--

Used the jimny for hospital runs with 5 on board, it was a squeeze at the back but the distance was not much. Compact dimension of jimny is a plus within the hospital complex. Did not feel under powered with full load infact performed better than expected.
How did you get the rear seat belt alarm disabled? Does it still work for the front seats?
Old 7th August 2023, 19:00   #1585
BHPian

Disclaimer: Jimny and Thar shouldn’t be pitted against each other. Except for a proper 4WD drivetrain and BOF, nothing is common. Yet, the lack of options in similar price brackets in Indian markets prompts people and reviewers alike to compare these two prominent contenders. Here goes my opinion in bullet points with no particular order. These may contradict the preferences of some users.

1. Practicality: Jimny owns hands down being a 5-door. Internal space management is also better than Thar.

2. Cost of ownership: Although some opine Jimny is overpriced, considering long-term ownership (say 10 years) with similar running the overall cost of ownership of Jimny will be lesser than both petrol and diesel-powered Thar.

3. Reliability: While Mahindra has mastered the technicalities of producing 4WD vehicles (which is very well understood from their history of vehicle manufacturing) Thar is a reliable product except for a few major and minor niggles (some of them are common in all BSVI diesels). A fair share of niggles is also being reported by Jimny owners too. But being an international model except for two extra doors, a longer chassis, and a longer propeller shaft, the rest of the things are quite similar; and they have proven reliability. Survey reports also substantiate user satisfaction with Maruti after-sales service.

4. Comfort and ride quality: In stock condition, the comfort and ride quality of Jimny (considering a BOF) is superior to Thar. Even after a hefty investment in modification, some users reported Thar can't match the stock ride quality of Jimny.

5. Dimension: Jimny looks tiny from the outside and feels cramped inside. Many people would not buy into this idea. But, a smaller footprint is a boon in villages and narrow hilly roads of India. No surprise why the puny Alto commands its unchallenged superiority in the remotest parts of this country. There are certain situations reported by users-- Thar couldn’t access a narrow river bridge due to its width while that was a cakewalk for Jimny.

6. Mod friendliness: Both vehicles offer ample scope of modifications. Rather, being an international model Jimny has a plethora of options and competitors. OTOH, Thar is not at all lagging behind in the mod scene, thanks to the mushrooming Indian 3rd party modifiers/accessories makers. Some of them are matured at such a level that they are quite comparable with the global quality stack.

7. Road presence: Thar owns hands down. It's a real head-turner. 2/3 door cars look smashing anytime and exude a special appeal, no doubt.

8. Engine and Transmission: No comparison at all. Both are of different leagues. Thar offers a better feel of power and cruisablity due to the larger displacement engine. The 6-speed transmission is also technically better and newer than Jimny.

Thar AT has M mode, while Jimny 4AT doesn’t offer M mode, but it can be operated like manual with different modes (D with or w/o OD, 2, and L). All the transmission systems including the transfer cases are time-tested and reliable enough.

9. 4WD Mechanicals: Jimny has solid axles (both front and rear). Many purists prefer this type of axle for off-roading.

None provides MLD or Manual diff. locker in stock condition (present on-production Thar). But both have the provision of retrofitting a diff. locker.

Thar actuates the front wheels hub lock by an electrical mechanism (FAD - Front Axle Disconnect as termed by Mahindra) while Jimny uses its engine vacuum to actuate the hub locker pneumatically. Long term reliability of both systems is speculative.

10. Electronic Driving Aid: Both offer more or less similar electronic aid on-board. e.g. hill descent control, hill hold assist, ESP, brake traction control, cruise control, etc. But there exist a few distinct differences. Some may be of advantage and some of disadvantage for a user.

a) Unlike Thar, hill descent control in Jimny works only in 4WD mode.

b) Hill descent control speed can be manually adjusted in Thar using the cruise control speed setting buttons. But in Jimny, it's fixed to approx. 10kmph and 5kmph for 4H and 4L respectively.

c) Hill hold control in Jimny works only in upward inclination, but in thar They work both upward and downward.

d) Hill hold control can be manually disabled in 4L mode in Jimny. This also deactivates hill descent control at the same time. No manual intervention is possible for Thar.

e) HDC can work in neutral in both vehicles (although it's absolutely not recommended), but shifting from D to neutral in Thar will deactivate HDC.

f) During OTRs, in many circumstances, implementation of the brake traction control (BLSD, as marketed by Suzuki, and I too personally prefer to stick to this term only) in Jimny has been observed to perform better.

11. Options: Jimny only offers two versions with AT/MT configuration with 1.5L K15B engine only. OTOH, offerings of Thar viz. P/D engine, AT/MT transmission, 4WD/RWD, HT/ST, and their sub-versions, can definitely spoil one for choice.

Personally, I think Bolero Neo is a better package than Thar RWD from Mahindra stable unless the look is taken into account.

12. OTR Capabilities: 3 Dr Jimny would have been an obvious choice for OTR purpose if it was available in India. While the long wheelbase and, less torquey engine may be a downer for many, Jimny 5Dr got quite an edge in terms of its OTR prowess and can compete neck to neck with Thar in negotiating tricky obstacles. Jimny being light-weight got some advantages of easier self-recovery in certain situations.

Having said all these points, the crux is, no single liner can meaningfully conclude whether one is better than the other.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 7th August 2023 at 19:18.
Blooming Flower is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 19:03   #1586
BHPian

Jimny gets launched in Nepal.

Old 7th August 2023, 19:06   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Guys,
Wow. Can you share the contact details and time taken to deliver the grill? I might even buy one.
Old 7th August 2023, 21:10   #1588
BHPian

Jimny is not that reliable. There is no sound on any of the 4 speakers from day-0. The ICE head unit sound amplifier is suspected to be faulty. Dealership is asking me to leave the Jimny at their service centre for few days for fault detection and warranty replacement.

It was working fine when I did the PDI in the morning. After accessories fitment and delivery, I didn't check the electricals again. Later when I drove out, switched off the ICE screen thinking it could be a distraction. After arriving at home and completing Puja etc., When I switched on and tried to play some music, there was no sound.
RijuC is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 22:00   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Exhaust and air filter should help. K&N 33-3151 is stock replacement. Plugs NGK RX DCP6ERX-11P made for Jimny K15B.
Attachment 2486824
Can you share the source from where K&N air filter & NGK spark plugs have been bought.
Old 7th August 2023, 22:46   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Wow. Can you share the contact details and time taken to deliver the grill? I might even buy one.
I got from The Guyz Store - Delhi. Personally picked it up so not sure about delivery timeline. You may contact here +91 78279 75320
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks