Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2023, 08:56   #1561

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Limb risers on my IBEX were put to test during a forest trial,the tree branches were gently pushed away from the windshield to above the roof.
One more fantastic piece of equipment from Swastik Fabs.
Contact Mr.Vijay
+919448068681.
Useful upgrade. Is this removable when not required?
madraspaiyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 09:50   #1562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm using one of the inbuilt USB ports to power the dashcam
Thanks bro. I am using using the 70mai dash cam so it has an optional wiring kit that takes power directly from the ACC/VCC ports of the fuse box. It has a neat fuse carrier attachment, so absolutely no splicing of any wires. Completely reversible.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 10:26   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirohito View Post
Congratulations. I received my Jimny surprisingly/unexpectedly quick. In two weeks clocked 2000 kms, driving to Meghalaya and Arunachal and in my home state of Assam.
Thanks for your review. Were you on stock tyres and if so your opinion on need for upgrade?
Old 4th August 2023, 12:24   #1564
Distinguished - BHPian

Had gone to a Nexa showroom with a friend who wanted to check out the Jimny. Sharing some of my observations.
  • Fairly knowledgeable SA. Seemed passionate about the Jimny and its capabilities.
  • When I saw the Jimny in the pictures, did not like it at all. Somehow did not connect with the styling. Especially since I loved the Thar. When I saw it on the road from a distance, my opinion slightly changed. When I saw it up close in the showroom, I was pleasantly surprised. It looks really nice up close in its own unique way.
  • Feels very compact from the outside, but quite spacious inside.
  • Somehow manages to look cute and rugged at the same time.
  • Liked the fit and finish and the paint job. Looks neatly done.
  • The cabin seems a good place to be. The fit, finish, materials all seemed well done.
  • HU and the instrument cluster looked good. HU seemed smooth and easy to operate.
  • Was able to comfortably sit in the back seat(I am 5 feet 10).
  • Decent amount of boot space.
  • SA says waiting period is 8 months and they get only 4 cars a month. Did not really believe that.

Drive:
  • Test drive was of the manual.
  • Engine was more refined than I expected
  • Did not like the gear-shifts. Short throws and the operation did not seem very smooth.
  • Drove mostly on city roads including one gravel patch and some pothole ridden roads.
  • In such conditions the performance seemed more than adequate. So in city use, I don't think anyone will find it wanting.
  • The off road capabilities are well known. So the only area I guess the performance would be a downer is on the highway.
  • Overall, it was a short drive, but was fairly impressed with it overall. This is not even considering the off road capabilities where it is anyway known to shine.

We drove the Thar back to back with this. Both of them seemed to be talked about as competitors to each other. I also thought the same as I was not following the segment much. But honestly apart from being off roader SUV's in the same segment, at least to me there is no comparison.
  • The Thar looks and feels like a beast. Large and Macho. Jimny as I mentioned above, looks cute but rugged in its own way. Jimny is narrower, but you don't feel that when inside.
  • The 2 door Thar and the not so easy ingress-egress means that in most cases it can only be a 2nd car. It can never be a single family car. Jimny on the other hand is more suitable to a family. It can be a single car for a family. Can do the off roading bit when needed, but otherwise play the role of the family car. Ingress-Egress is also much better.
  • Performance wise, the Thar blows the Jimny out of the water. It is really powerful and fast. Jimny is a more sedate option on regular roads.
  • The fit and finish is on par on both cars. Did not make out a difference in the short experience with both.
  • The Jimny seems better equipped from what I could infer in the discussions, but the Thar had the options of soft top, waterproof cabin etc.

Overall, the Thar is a car I have loved and I was like-why is even Maruti bringing in the Jimny against the Thar, but after experiencing it, I am impressed and can understand the craze and love for the Jimny. Totally different target customers.
Rajeevraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 16:05   #1565
BHPian

Hope someone makes Jimny already into something like this before Merc do it

Looks cool and elegant. And will also suit the dimensions of current 5D Jimny IMO

Source: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2026...test=treatment
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_20230804155033.png  

Maruti Jimny Review-mercedesbenzbabygwagenrender11.jpg  

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 4th August 2023 at 16:16.
offroad_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 21:02   #1566
Senior - BHPian

What is up with some Thar dudes and Jimnys? Encountered a couple of 2nd gen Thar dudes - one near Kayankulam and one near Technopark who suddenly started accelerating and driving like total morons when a Jimny got near them or when they saw a Jimny ahead traveling in the same direction.

Have them on dash cam. What they don't get is that if one wanted a Thar, one would have bought it two years ago and wouldn't have waited for the jimny.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th August 2023 at 00:08. Reason: Cleaning up SMS lingo, caps etc.
Sankar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 23:49   #1567
BHPian

After a couple months of booking, I had the chance to test drive the Jimny. I could not find one thing to disagree with the review or what other people have said about the car in general, but coming from a 2023 1.5 Turbo Verna and Innova Crysta has definitely spoiled me when it comes to flooring the pedal.

The car is pretty good for city drives, has excellent ride quality that is paralleled by none. The performance will be adequate in city but you'll be searching for power on highways like keys in a large bag. The build quality is pretty robust and the car provides you with ample cognitive dissonance - you know its a small car, but the seating height and turning radius make it feel like a proper SUV

The gear shifts are notchy AND I love it - I would not want it any other way. It looks rugged, feels rugged and is rugged

For people who will look at it as their first car or a family car because they want to kill both birds of being a family man and an enthusiast: you have tough luck. I would not have this as a primary car. The driving seat is far from plush, has mediocre bolstering vis a vis cars its price or maybe the Thar, and could have used a better seat. I thought about the scenario where I had this instead of the Verna and I realized that I have come to like creature comforts and some finesse, which wasn't the case earlier, when I was younger and discounted comfort/convenience for sheer fun.

I will still go ahead with my booking, its a car with sheer character and is your rendezvous with your younger self, away from the family. A car I will enjoy plonking on the highways and the mountains, and I will make sure I go to work even when office is shut because of heavy rains and water logging. That I go to the gym even if its raining and theres less parking space. I'll go visit the obscure eateries in Okhla which need a small car to even reach the vicinity. I will go visit my cousins on weekends more. Maybe instead of the specialty coffee roasters, I will visit a tea stall, grab a cup and watch the car and speak nothing. That is all I plan to do with it.
ubermensch is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 10:42   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
What is up with some Thar dudes and Jimnys? Encountered a couple of 2nd gen Thar dudes - one near Kayankulam and one near Technopark who suddenly started accelerating and driving like total morons when a Jimny got near them or when they saw a Jimny ahead traveling in the same direction.

Have them on dash cam. What they don't get is that if one wanted a Thar, one would have bought it two years ago and wouldn't have waited for the jimny.
Same! I've had a few come up next to me, hold pace, stare and accelerate quickly. You can tell admiration, these incidents weren't that. Very specific to Thar drivers though.
sammysossa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 00:13   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
A demo of how the idle stop start disable works. There is a delay of 5 secs after engine start for this to kick in.
Sir, where can I buy one of these? The Stop-Start is the first thing I would like to get rid of on the Jimny. It just has a mind of its own and switches off the car when you least expect it.

Last edited by medicineman1987 : 7th August 2023 at 00:14.
Old 7th August 2023, 06:50   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Experienced this first hand yesterday. Appears to have caught on at KA too.

I was returning back from Kollegal yesterday and there was this black Thar going sedate. I worked never have got to overtake him anyways, but then, he caught me in the IRVM and that was it, he has to push the pedal

I was able to keep up a bit due to on coming traffic and less space to overtake, and I guess that ruffled him more. My wife was asking me on what’s with the Thar guy.

After about 5-6 km, we saw three black cars in a convoy. They were very slow. I crossed one and just when I was about to cross the second and when I thought I had enough space to get across the first Thar in the pack, the one at the last started honking like crazy and suddenly, all 3 just took off. Took off like there was no tomorrow
jkrishnakj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 07:35   #1571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What they don't get is that if one wanted a Thar, one would have bought it two years ago and wouldn't have waited for the jimny.
When the pics/specs of new Thar came out, I was salivating and had my checkbook ready. Luckily for me, one of closes friends got one in the initial batch. Since he is abroad a lot, the Thar is with me and I get to use it very extensively. Thankfully this saved my life, and my money.
Not to say that Thar is a bad product, but to me ride quality and overall practical/efficient use of space including decent luggage/boot space is important to me.
So, as you said, I patiently waited for the Jimny.
Incidentally my friend has also grown weary of the Thar and booked a Defender 90 about 6 months ago and should get it by end of the year. The Thar will be gone shortly after.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 07:50   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Experienced this first hand yesterday. Appears to have caught on at KA too.
suddenly, all 3 just took off. Took off like there was no tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
next to me, hold pace, stare and accelerate quickly. You can tell admiration,.
Quote:
What is up with some Thar dudes and Jimnys? What they don't get is that if one wanted a Thar, one would have bought it two years ago and wouldn't have waited for the jimny.

This is a ‘Size-inadequacy’ issue. In many threads many people think ‘bigger is better’ and keep talking of ‘road-presence’ and all, which as I have often said and continue to say, are merely covert euphemisms for ‘using size to intimidate’. This is an immature attitude for sure, but it is an inexorable affliction or disease which besets many on the road. Best is to just keep going and dont rise to the bait.

We all know what a fantastic and well designed and well executed package the Jimny is. If I didnt have my Thar and my Gypsy already, I would certainly buy a Jimny. And when I do feel up to it I will buy one anyway. As Ive said before I love all of these vehicles equally for what they are capable of, and for different reasons.

But it will take a long time for the overall attitude of people, to mature and evolve. Right now, we as a country, are still in enmeshed in the throes of ‘first generation car ownership’ - it will take time to settle.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 08:30   #1573
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess Thar owners are feeling threatened with the Jimny craze. Apart from the power and refinement of the Thar engines (and drivetrain), the Jimny seems to be more than a match in all other departments.

This Autocar video is a comprehensive comparison between the two: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-vid...n-video-428908
itwasntme is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 08:52   #1574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reminds me of @Cresterk's encounters with Innova Crysta owners when they see his Innova Hycross.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 09:04   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Since the Jimny is officially a 4 seater on paper can one get pulled over by cops if three people are seated at the back? There is no seat belt for a third passenger at the back so can it be fitted from official sources or from the after market?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 7th August 2023 at 09:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks