Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2023, 18:16   #1516
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

One question for those who have taken delivery of Jimny or are about to take it - Are Nexa dealerships allowing PDI? Mine is suggesting that the only option is to have a look at the vehicle during the RTO process or something. But by then I would have paid the whole amount and the point of doing PDI is lost!
Old 29th July 2023, 20:40   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
One question for those who have taken delivery of Jimny or are about to take it - Are Nexa dealerships allowing PDI? Mine is suggesting that the only option is to have a look at the vehicle during the RTO process or something. But by then I would have paid the whole amount and the point of doing PDI is lost!
I did a quick PDI before paying but I paid in full immediately after the PDI. Some dealers are acting really cocky in these good times. Be firm but be fair.

I'm ALWAYS ready to walk away from a one sided deal. They sat on your money for 7 months and they won't let you take a look at the car for any damage before paying?

I took photos of the car, engine and chassis number and odometer. There were no issues in my case.

Last edited by gsferrari : 29th July 2023 at 20:47.
gsferrari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 22:04   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Some updates that went on as and when I got time, but in no particular order...

1) NGK RX Ruthenium plugs, 2) K&N stock replacement filter, 3) 1st service done, 4) KyoEi black lug nuts, 5) EXEA power extension unit, 6) apio anodised aluminium 4WD shift plate (like the riveted plates on old jeeps), 7) rear seat belt alarm disabled, 8) blacked out front grille chrome, 9) mitsuba dolce 3 horn (transferred from crysta)
--

Used the jimny for hospital runs with 5 on board, it was a squeeze at the back but the distance was not much. Compact dimension of jimny is a plus within the hospital complex. Did not feel under powered with full load infact performed better than expected.
Sankar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 08:14   #1519
BHPian

Hi all. I need a bit of help from the ones more familiar with their Jimny’s than I have managed in the past month. Can’t figure out the following:

1. The ESP (Electronic Stability Program) button on the lower dash - how does it actually function on the Jimny? Pressing or holding it down doesn’t seem to do anything indication-wise. On other cars, just tapping this or holding it down a sec seems to toggle the function on or off. This is corroborated by a visual indication and a slightly ‘freed up’ feel at the steering.

2. In Apple Airplay mode, flicking the voice button at the steering, should be able to allow me control of the music I want, among other things. In the Jimny, it simply issues a voice prompt - “Apple Airplay active” and then goes mum. Or something to that effect. Something that can be sorted with a better setup?

3. Anyone with a manual transmission, notice a slight ‘chirp’ from the differential/gearbox area when releasing clutch and accelerating a bit hard in first? Doesn’t occur at smoother getaways. I had shown this to the Maruti ASC during first checkup and they told me this is normal and is from the differential, and nothing to worry about.

That’s the lot for now. Experience-wise, in the exact one month I’ve had it now, the Jimny continues to be a fun, almost wise decision. Without getting too flowery, I’ll list the pros and cons for quicker reading:

Pros:

1. Engine seems to have settled over a smooth running-in. The slightly thrashy noise at higher speeds and hard accelerations seem palpably improved. Quieter now than when brand new.
2. Still a happy mileage - between 12 and 16+ inside NCR, depending on traffic load.
3. The narrow footprint pays off every time in the city - weaves like an auto out of harms way and squeezes into tighter parking than earlier possible for me.
4. First time with a full complement of 4 adults yesterday, the ride was a huge difference from when I’m solo or with only two up front. The calmness of the ride in fact prompted my friend in the back to compare it with levels of comfort he finds in his Endeavour. Having owned one just before this, I knew that to be an exaggeration. The Endy rode like a barge on calm seas compared to this. The rear was choppier than the front, true. But even taken with a pinch of salt, the Jimny wouldn’t be uncomfortable on a long ride with luggage and full capacity, as long as you find enough knee-room.
5. Keeping it clean - now here’s my favourite part. I clean my vehicles myself. If they’re just dusty, I just Joopasu them off. Ceramic coats help here. If muddy, they go in for a professional wash. Dusting and wiping down the Jimny is a cinch. Flat, straight panels allow this one to be cleaned almost 2x quicker than my sedan next to it, even when that is a lower vehicle. And the steelies just require a swish of the wash-rag to shine up, not having the intricacies of alloys.

Cons:

1. Audio - with all passengers loaded, the fader control of this already limited unit, shows up the true flaw. The rear speakers are so poor, trying to allow them a bit more music, steals audio from the somewhat better front ones and almost dulls the experience to unacceptable.
2. The slow steering does get a bit bothersome while trying to reverse park into a tight spot, or take a tight u-turn on city roads. It can almost never be executed in a single motion. Hello three-point.
3. The rear seatbelt warnings - extremely silly of Maruti to ruin a commendable move by skimping on the pressure sensors! Why would they require to be plugged in at all times to prevent the chimes. Reeks of cut corners and requires them to do a recall and retrofit at the earliest.
4. The cabin lights - pathetic. No brighter than 80’s spec automobiles. Too retro for my blood.

That’s the lot. Can’t think of anything else till I take it on a longer drive.

Cheers!

Last edited by SUVolens : 30th July 2023 at 08:19.
SUVolens is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 08:17   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did a full PDI before delivery, infact I had a choice between three Jimnys.
Please don't compromise and be ready to walk away from such forced deals.
Best wishes for your ownership experience.
ecosport rules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 08:35   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I did a quick PDI before paying but I paid in full immediately after the PDI. Some dealers are acting really cocky in these good times. Be firm but be fair.

I'm ALWAYS ready to walk away from a one sided deal. They sat on your money for 7 months and they won't let you take a look at the car for any damage before paying?

I took photos of the car, engine and chassis number and odometer. There were no issues in my case.
Full PDI done before payment. We paid just the 11,000 booking amount and the rest only after PDI.
acquillew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 09:04   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hi all. I need a bit of help from the ones more familiar with their Jimny’s than I have managed in the past month. Can’t figure out the following:

1. The ESP (Electronic Stability Program) button on the lower dash - how does it actually function on the Jimny? Pressing or holding it down doesn’t seem to do anything indication-wise. On other cars, just tapping this or holding it down a sec seems to toggle the function on or off. This is corroborated by a visual indication and a slightly ‘freed up’ feel at the steering.
Thanks for your wonderful insights. Love reading them.

Here's what the Owner's Manual says about ESP.

BTW I've just ordered a print of the Manual so that it's easy to refer to. It'll be stationed in the Jimny - although I'm now wondering where to keep a thick wad of papers stitched by hand in the little space that the car affords. I definitely don't like the idea of having to see me phone/computer to read the Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230730-8.59.36-am.png  

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230730-8.59.52-am.png  

dileep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 09:29   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post
As expected, the Jimny comes with a plethora of options to customize the interior space, spend some time strolling and choose the ones for you (while still waiting for a call from dealership :-))
Attachment 2471076

LINK : Jimny Style
Has anyone purchased stuff from this site? It looks like shipping is done from UK. What about customs? Is that included in the list price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Some updates that went on as and when I got time, but in no particular order...

1) NGK RX Ruthenium plugs, 2) K&N stock replacement filter, 3) 1st service done, 4) KyoEi black lug nuts, 5) EXEA power extension unit, 6) apio anodised aluminium 4WD shift plate (like the riveted plates on old jeeps), 7) rear seat belt alarm disabled, 8) blacked out front grille chrome, 9) mitsuba dolce 3 horn (transferred from crysta)
--
@Sankar, how did you black out the front grille chrome? Will be great if you can share some images.

Last edited by cogWheel : 30th July 2023 at 09:35.
Old 30th July 2023, 10:13   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Thanks for your wonderful insights. Love reading them.

Here's what the Owner's Manual says about ESP.

BTW I've just ordered a print of the Manual so that it's easy to refer to. It'll be stationed in the Jimny - although I'm now wondering where to keep a thick wad of papers stitched by hand in the little space that the car affords. I definitely don't like the idea of having to see me phone/computer to read the Manual.
Thank you! And thanks for forwarding the help. I had in the meantime gone down with a rested brain and tried the niggles again. They’re sorted and this is how:

1. ESP comes on with a firm hold of the button and stays on till 30kmph as mentioned. Deactivates the second you cross 30. I must’ve been trying when my speed was above 30, hence the confusion.

2. For voice recognition - a short tug activates the native Suzuki interface. For Siri, tug and hold.

So relieved
SUVolens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 10:46   #1525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
However, lack of a height adjustment driver’s seat turns out to be a deal breaker.

Is there any aftermarket solution available to make the driver’s seat height adjustable?
Came across an interesting video, where someone retrofitted height adjustable driver’s seat into the base model of Ignis. Considering the front seats of Jimny look to be same as those of Ignis, I suppose the same can be done here as well.

In the video, the person changes the entire seat base assembly to that of the top model. Trims, levers etc were also changed. All parts were ordered off of Boodmo, for a total of Rs 5000. It was as a DIY installation.

Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:54   #1526
BHPian

800km in my Jimny AT

I took delivery of my "Jim" last week, and have done around 800km in 9 days. This is a report of my 1st impressions:

A. Approx. 500km within Mumbai...

1. The narrow dimensions work. The car is very easy to maneuver in traffic, a delight on the Sea Link, and can manage to find parking easily
2. The engine is adequately powered for city driving, and since I dont usually drive too fast, the pickup and overakimg capabilities are adequate. It is no speedster, for sure, but does its job
3. I was getting around 10.5 kmpl in the city, with around 50% air conditioning usage, and 50% driving on highways + 50% on congested roads
4. The height of the seating position, the large windows all around, and the large side view mirrors make it easy to drive. The large screen and reverse camera are very helpful, too
5. Music system is surprisingly good, and the infotainment system with Android Auto worked seamlessly for me
6. Lack of space to keep larger bottles is a bit of a let down
7. Other misses for city driving in my opinion include 1. 360 camera 2. Connected car functionality and 3. Auto dimming rear view mirror

B. ...and around 300km on the Mumbai Pune Mumbai route

1. Jim is a joy on the highway, and I will be honest, I had my doubts about that. After 200km of driving, I still felt fresh. The car holds up well if you are not into racing and keep your ego aside
2. The road had a lot of potholes (I seriously think Maharashtra road builders use materials that dissolve in the rain!) and the car handled them like a boss! I started finding myself not slowing down for bumps, that's how good it was!
3. I found that the power steering lost alignment quite often ie, when the car was going straight, the wheel was slightly turned to the left. It kept correcting itself after a while, but it was quite irritating to someone like me with low-level OCD
4. Going at 80 to 85 kmh, the engine was at around 2,250 rpm, and I thought it sorely missed out on another gear or two on the long flat stretches of the expressway. That would have helped fuel efficiency, which I clocked at 16.4 kmpl from bandra up the ghats to Pune and 20.1 kmpl on the way back down (no air conditioning was used, as the weather was outstanding!)
5. Being tall, the car did tend to wobble a bit when there was a strong wind blowing (of which there was plenty) and at high speeds on wet roads, it seemed not as sure-footed as my earlier car, the low-slung Octavia. Got a bit scary once or twice on the way down on the western ghats, requiring me to lower my driving speed by 20 to 30 kmh
6. While climbing up the ghats, the engine + automatic gear box combination did feel low powered at times in D (drive) mode. Slamming down on the accelerator also didn't make much of a difference. But when I moved into gear mode "2" (I believe this keeps the engine in just 1st and 2nd gear) on the steeper portions of the ghats, the car came to life like Popeye getting his spinach! The revs climbed to over 3,000, the peppiness index went nuts and it climbed up the ghats like it owned the road. Wow!

So, to conclude, a good city car. A good highway car. Fun on the ghats. Slightly disappointing city mileage. But a joy, a pure delight, to drive! Just so, so, so, so much fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-20230729_184834.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20230729_184733.jpg  

pheru8b is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 13:30   #1527
Senior - BHPian

My neighbour bought a Jimny.
So I simply had to take pics of the Jimny with my Gypsy.
The Jimny is definitely a modern classic in the making and a keeper as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3995.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3996.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3994.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3997.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 21:32   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Jimny is definitely a modern classic in the making and a keeper as well.
Very well kept Gypsy Sir. Compliments to you.

Sometimes I think, what would a Jimmy do that a Gypsy could not do?

Of course, Jimny will make cash registers ring for Maruti which Gypsy could not (except for enthusiasts and government/defence agencies).

But why couldn't Maruti put a better engine in the Gypsy, provide it with a power steering and factory fitted AC? And it's never that difficult to make a car safety rating compliant, if the will is there. As such many other products of MSIL have pathetic safety ratings.

Probably that's how Gypsy has evolved into Jimny.
But Gypsy in it's original form still appeals.

At times, it appears that manufacturers wilfully kill a product to make way for the next generation.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 22:10   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
@Sankar, how did you black out the front grille chrome? Will be great if you can share some images.
Chrome rings on the grille are snap fit and the S logo is snap fit plus two screws. Open the grille and remove the S logo and then remove chrome trims by pushing the tabs in and then get it painted or wrapped.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 23:33   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
When I got the call from the dealership that I've been allotted a Jimny and I should visit them the next day, the first thing I asked them to do was to drop me a mail stating the same. Next day, when I visited them, they asked me to pay 1 lakh as the Jimny had been allotted. I told them that I would pay only after inspecting the vehicle, to which they agreed with slight reluctancy, but agreed nonetheless.
When the vehicle arrived, I did the PDI and the next day paid them 50k, which they happily accepted. I noted down the VIN number during the PDI just to make sure I get the delivery of the same vehicle. The odometer showed 19 Kms.
Now, I have paid in full and the delivery is planned for tomorrow !
mpant05 is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks