Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2024, 17:20   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by strelok View Post
Have been facing a weird issue with the suspension setup. On turns, the car has been feeling wobbly (left <-> right). Kinda like how we shake our heads. Even when I close the door with a thud, it wobbles a bit.

Is it normal? The car has done around 2k and don't think this was the case earlier, or maybe I'm just feeling it now. Kinda confused.
For the starters, check tires air pressure.
Old 2nd June 2024, 15:09   #1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
For the starters, check tires air pressure.
I maintain the recommended 34-31 pressure for 2 pax.
Old 3rd June 2024, 23:24   #1083

Hello BHPians. This is my first post here and before I begin, I must thank you guys for all the amazing knowledge, tips and insights you share here.

So, I got a black Verna SX NA DCT earlier this month and I just thought I should share my experience with the car to all the amazing fellas here.

The selection process

I always wanted to have a sedan as I thought it suited my personality and my physical built. With a budget of around 15 lakh I did not have too many options and the three sedans that I tried were the Honda City, Volkswagen Virtus and Hyundai Verna. Also test drove Seltos and Nexon, but my mind was stuck on sedan. Honda City is a great car but nothing in that car excited me too much so the final choice was between Volkswagen Virtus and Hyundai Verna. Between the two, Verna offered more features and had a more stylish look while Virtus honestly felt better while driving with a very classy look. The choice was difficult but Virtus being slightly above my budget (didn't want a very basic variant), I finally zeroed in on the Verna as my family also liked the exteriors and interiors of Verna.

Within Verna, SX or SX(O)? Manual or Auto? Turbo or non Turbo?

Auto was a clear choice considering the car was meant to be largely driven around the city. Non Turbo for the same reason - not much opportunity to revv the Turbo engine in Mumbai traffic, and also higher maintenance needs of the Turbo engine. Finally, boiled down to SX vs SX(O) with ADAS being the primary distinction. At the beginning I was excited about ADAS, but I read at a lot of places that ADAS is not really useful in India and is often too intrusive. The final nail in the coffin came during the test drive. At one point during the TD, while I was reversing, there was another car adjacent (rear left) to me. I was mindful of the distance between us and that car and yet my car jolted to a halt while reversing. For a moment I thought I had bumped into the other car, then the dealer representative riding with me told it was the ADAS. My concerns around ADAS being too intrusive got validated and I made up my mind to get an SX.

With BH registration the Abyss Black Verna IVT SX NA came at ₹14.6 lakh on road. This includes a dealer discount of ₹80k (despite it being a Feb 2024 manufacturing). I brought the car home on May 4.

A tragedy

On May 15, while driving on a busy road, an eager cab driver hit my black beauty from behind, bursting it's left tail light and bumper. My heart broke into pieces then and there! The car had barely run 200km. I had not even received the RC and the car even smelled new! I would have bashed the cab driver but somehow managed to hold back myself and instead took him to the nearest police station. The car was later sent to Hyundai workshop and it took 7 days for repair (complete replacement of left tail light and bumper). All covered under insurance. The process was pretty much hassle free (taking insurance from Hyundai helped, I guess), but I had to live without my new machine for 7 days!

Experience till date

Loving the interiors and the exteriors of my Verna each day. Black colour is difficult to maintain and I never wanted one because of that. But wife wanted black, so had to go with it. In fact I'm surprised most BHPians here seem to have the black one. No doubt it is beautiful, but I can already see swirl marks on it. Watched a lot of videos and tried to train the local washer guy, but for 700 bucks a month he hardly cares.
Anyone who sits in the car appreciates how spacious it is in terms of the legroom.
Regarding fuel efficiency, I get 6-7kmpl while commuting to office during peak traffic and 9-11 during weekends when traffic is relatively low. So, the average for "city" drive is 7-8kmpl. I have observed that activating cruise control enhances the FE tremendously and so I do that whenever I'm on a lengthy flyover or a similar open strength. Haven't done a highway road trip on it yet.
Ground clearance is decent. Once I ran over an ugly speed breaker at good speed (failed to spot it from a distance) and still the underbody did not get hit, though my 2yr old son got thrown up in the air in the rear seat

All in all, very satisfied (and obsessed) with my Verna. Looking to keep learning and sharing.

Last edited by bblost : 4th June 2024 at 12:02. Reason: Two smileys per post. Removed one. Thanks.
Verna1507 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 12:05   #1084
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your car and wish you many many miles.

Glad the damage was just cosmetic and easily fixed though it took a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna1507 View Post
Hthough my 2yr old son got thrown up in the air in the rear seat
Please remember that the car is loaded with explosive bombs inside it.
That is exactly what airbags are!

When airbags deploy, an unsecured passenger will smash against them with very high force.
On a child that can be devastating.

Please get your child an age appropriate child seat and ALWAYS keep the kid secured in it.

Do not allow the child's tantrums or the nonsense from family members make you ignore this very important thing.
Physics does not care about mothers love.

Last edited by bblost : 4th June 2024 at 20:28. Reason: typo, car -> care
bblost is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 12:49   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
I got a black Verna SX NA DCT earlier this month
Congratulations on owning the black beauty
You may want to correct the model mentioned here. It should be IVT instead of DCT.

I too own a black one. While it is certainly difficult to maintain, it does give a really sporty look to the car. Some of my friends even call it a Batmobile

As you have already purchased the car, there is no point in discussing about the ADAS. However, for the sake of future buyers who are wondering if they should go for ADAS, here are few pointers:
  • India may not be ready for ADAS yet, but you sure are!
  • While ADAS may feel intrusive at first, it takes just a few days to get a hang of it (talking specifically for Hyundai as I have not experienced ADAS from other manufacturers). Just think of it as any other new technology that takes some time getting used to.
  • Once you adjust your driving style (which is not a drastic change) as per the ADAS, believe me - it only makes you a better driver. Of course, provided you don't turn off the ADAS features, otherwise it's all just a moot point.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 20:14   #1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Please remember that the car is loaded with explosive bombs inside it.
I agree. Thanks for those words of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
You may want to correct the model mentioned here. It should be IVT instead of DCT.
IVT it is! Apologies for the typo (don't find the option of editing the post. Yet to get used to the user interface of this platform)

I see it as batmobile too!!

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th June 2024 at 20:16. Reason: Please quote only relevant part.
Verna1507 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 14:35   #1087
BHPian

Finally got my Test Drive Today after delay from Hyundai for Verna Turbo DCT
  • Driving Positions and comfort was very much similar to my i20 including the car width, so immediately felt at home.
  • Engine was superb and transmission was smooth.
  • Didn't feel any issue with Turning Radius or Ground Clearance which I was worried earlier.
  • Break Bite was heavy to my liking which I think I need to get used.
  • Also while trying to climb out of my underground parking garage, there were quite a lot of while spin.
  • Those are couple of things I need to get used to moving from Manual to Automatic.
  • Interiors looked so upmarket in real time compared to what I saw in Images.
  • AC was so chill (But I'm in Bengaluru, so this is never an issue).
  • Front Parking Sensor is a decent addition as it felt helpful parking in my tight Apartment Parking Garage.

For SX DCT Variant they are giving 50K Discount along with Exchange Bonus if they go with them.

Planning to book this next month. Hopefully all things go well.

Last edited by KarthikK : 6th June 2024 at 14:53.
TonyJames is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 20:09   #1088
BHPian

Greetings,
I've changed to nitrogen air for the car's tyres and noticed that the TPMS reads 30psi inspite of filling 33psi, in contrast when I fill 33psi normal air it shows 33 or 34psi. So does that mean I should keep 35psi nitrogen regularly? Nitrogen air users, please enlighten.
Old 6th June 2024, 20:26   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg5610 View Post
Greetings,
I've changed to nitrogen air for the car's tyres and noticed that the TPMS reads 30psi inspite of filling 33psi, in contrast when I fill 33psi normal air it shows 33 or 34psi. So does that mean I should keep 35psi nitrogen regularly? Nitrogen air users, please enlighten.
I have no knowledge about this, but curious why you are going for Nitrogen? I don't think there is any benefit as such, isn't that right ?
Old 6th June 2024, 21:31   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
If you are going to fill the air after driving for sometime, I would recommend you to go for 35 as the tyres will be hot and the mentioned 32 tyre pressure is cold tyre pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg5610 View Post
Greetings,
There might be an issue with the inflator. Try filling nitrogen in different location to make sure that is not the issue.
My previous reply regarding the tyre pressure. Tyres tend to heat when you drive and the pressure changes. When did you fill the Nitrogen and when did you fill air? If you are driving for longer time and fill 33 psi and you let the tyre cool down, then check the pressure it would drop 1-2 psi which is normal.
V_Nyx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 09:47   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
When did you fill the Nitrogen and when did you fill air? If you are driving for longer time and fill 33 psi and you let the tyre cool down, then check the pressure it would drop 1-2 psi which is normal.
I agree with this, driving for about 10kms in Chennai heat, I saw a petrol bunk and went to top up Nitrogen to 34 PSI, the TPMS shows 33 on all tyres but then next morning it showed 31 PSI. I topped up again but this time in a place near home (hardly few 100 meters of driving) to 34 PSI and it has remained the same for few days now.

Running increases the tyre temps which tend to increase the tyre pressure.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2024 at 22:09. Reason: Typos
vignesh207 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 19:44   #1092
BHPian

Quote:

So, I got a black Verna SX NA DCT earlier this month ....

Non Turbo for the same reason - not much opportunity to revv the Turbo engine in Mumbai traffic....
Regarding fuel efficiency, I get 6-7kmpl while commuting to office during peak traffic and 9-11 during weekends when traffic is relatively low. So, the average for "city" drive is 7-8kmpl.
Congratulations on the car, it looks seriously good looking in black, accidents like these are a common place in our cities and shouldn't be taken very seriously.

A little correction Verna NA AT is CVT not DCT, also the point with turbo is you don't have to revv it to extract performance, you have it all the time, unlike this NA engine, but aside from that NA is a great choice in city and should satisfy most drivers, it does need to revv from time to time to extract its best.

The mileage seems shockingly low, especially considering CVTs should be more efficient than manual, our Verna Manual (NA) gives around 9-9.5 in peak traffic, around 11.5-12 in relatively less traffic in Delhi, with 100% AC. I expected CVT to be marginally better.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 21:26   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
The mileage seems shockingly low, especially considering CVTs should be more efficient than manual, our Verna Manual (NA) gives around 9-9.5 in peak traffic, around 11.5-12 in relatively less traffic in Delhi, with 100% AC. I expected CVT to be marginally better.
CVTs should be more efficient than manual but actually they are not. Especially in city driving conditions. This is a lie peddled by manufacturers for a long time. Biggest culprit being Honda. The Honda City MT always (Assuming a good driver) returned better mileage than Honda City CVT in city driving conditions in contradiction to what the manufacturer claimed.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 22:00   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Actually, driven sanely, the Verna turbo petrol is a decent performer in the fuel efficiency department. On highway, it is actually much better than the other trims!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2024 at 22:08. Reason: Typos
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 22:20   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Actually, driven sanely, the Verna turbo petrol is a decent performer in the fuel efficiency department. On highway, it is actually much better than the other trims!
True that, I recently did a calm 80kmph cruise for about 30kms in ECR late night, got my personal best of 19.3kmpl.

In the city runs with multiple stop-and-go traffic stretches, I consistently get 11-12kmpl with AC always on Auto-High.

Last edited by vignesh207 : 8th June 2024 at 22:22. Reason: Typos
vignesh207 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks