Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2023, 10:24   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpagedar View Post
Yes, I am currently in the 2nd leg of my trip in Murudeshwar having covered Virajpet a few days ago. Leaving for Goa tomorrow.

I found the headlights to be quite adequate during my short night journey from Madikeri to Virajpet (approx 30km). Found the headlights assist and cornering lights to be quite good.
I assume the effectiveness of the lights come into question during rain/fog nights.

Did you happen to experience such instances in your trip?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 14:07   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteKing75 View Post
Were you traveling in a black or starry night Verna yesterday near Hunsur around 4.30 PM or so? I was returning from Madikeri in my Kushaq and noticed the car in the opposite direction.
It is Starry Night but we were in Murudeshwar last couple of days, so it was someone else that you have seen. We were in Virajpet from 5th to 9th.

Quote:
There are still not too many Verna's out on the road and it does bring in an additional 'wow' factor.
Absolutely agree!! In our entire trip of 2000km till now, I have seen only 1 Verna.
gpagedar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 14:15   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I assume the effectiveness of the lights come into question during rain/fog nights.

Did you happen to experience such instances in your trip?
There was light fog on a couple of nights but I did not feel the headlights to be inadequate.

But you may be right, rain and heavy fog may pose some challenges. In Mumbai rain would be more of a challenge than fog.
gpagedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 15:00   #709
BHPian

Quote:
The car drives beautifully, is comfortable, with good steady acceleration. One doesn’t realise when the speedometer touches 100 kmph.
A few other points that I forgot to mention -

The DCT is really smooth and one does not realise the change of gears unless one pays close attention.

The trip meter giving "Drive Info” gets reset when the engine has been turned off for more than 3 mins. So getting the details for a days drive is impossible unless one uses the “Accumulated Info” trip meter which I plan to use for long term numbers. In my Sonet is reset after 4 hours which I feel is quite reasonable. Hope Hyundai changes this via a software update.
The “Since refuelling” trip meter gets reset whenever the fuel tank gets refilled which I think I is neat. Only, one should remember to have a look at the numbers before popping the lid at the gas station.

Blind spot monitoring and lane keep assist work well and I found the features to be quite useful.

On the NH48 from Mumbai to Mysore via Bangalore we got an average of about 17.6 kmpl on Normal mode and sedate driving (unfortunately was engine break in period).
With some animated driving this may come down to about 15.5 kmpl on the plains. Still, quite good numbers I think.
In the hills, got an average of 12.5 to 13.0 kmpl.
Old 11th December 2023, 19:26   #710
BANNED

Quote:
Suspension is very sorted and it is a smooth experience overall. I can compare with my Skoda Rapid that I sold and it is much more comfortable at lower speeds. Even if I compare with the Kushaq it would be on par if not better at lower speeds, and at higher speeds Kushaq might be a bit more comfortable with the extra GC and the stiffness playing their part as well!
The best thing to do is take a TD of the Verna over similar roads as the Brezza to get an actual feel.
I recently took a verna Turbo GDI. I was also attracted by the discount but if you see closely it's not bumper to bumper. Then if you are adding the option of extended warranty then again that Acko price goes up also with "shield of trust" which Acko do not provide, the price will go up again. So after doing all these it will be essentially 45k difference if you could work out good dealer discounts. For that price that the dealer is providing, I thought it was best to go with them because there is another catch, not all Hyundai dealers are associated with them so whatever showroom that Acko provide you have to take delivery from there. So my suggestion is to go with dealer and work on good discount. Note: Insurance price is always jacked up and you can effectively negotiate 40% on that.

Overall I was very satisfied that I went with a dealer rather than Acko.
Old 11th December 2023, 19:32   #711
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
We recently got a verna and the vehicle is full of pings!! Speed/Seatbelt/blindspot/take a break and way too many to count. There was one for speedbreaker and school too

Ive shut off everything related to ADAS, but my wife wanted the reversing ones.left untouched, so a few pings while recersing as well. Went for the SXO as only that had the rear disc breaks, now wondering if i shouldn't have!
I belive none of these pings coz of ADAS. I got my verna and two days into it I too got the "school children" ping. Then I saw a YouTube video and got those disabled. All you need to do is to go to settings > navigation > alerts .. see which all are on for "Day time" and "Night time", just deselect and it will go.
baridbej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 20:33   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baridbej View Post
I belive none of these pings coz of ADAS. I got my verna and two days into it I too got the "school children" ping..
Yeah, these are the ones which can be turned off. The ADAS ones are the ones which come up while reversing, as my wife insists on having those. There are some pings for rear crossing or something. However, I guess these are now common to all the new age vehicles. So not really picking up on Hyundai. Just feels real weird driving a vehicle with so many chimes. Guess they will only grow with the fast march of EV's.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 07:58   #713
Senior - BHPian

In fact I think some of the alerts should significantly override the music , for ex blind spot. I think it is one of the most useful aids especially on fast, busy intracity roads like bypass, ring roads, etc.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 13:15   #714
BHPian

Quote:
The car drives beautifully, is comfortable, with good steady acceleration. One doesn’t realise when the speedometer touches 100 kmph.

I found it good to drive on the twisties too. Drove it between Madikeri and Virajpet 2/3 times and to Jog falls too. Car is stable even at high speeds with minimal body roll.
+1.
I got couple of chances a month ago to take it on the highway.
The first drive was towards Corbett and Bhimtal. With 5 adults and luggage on board, the car has more than enough power to accelerate quickly (in Normal mode). And once I switched to Sport mode, oh man! it was f-a-s-t. Verna can leave anything and everything behind!! The sweet note of the engine leaves a wide grin on the face

On the way up to Bhimtal, it was a relaxed climb. Handling was good and body roll well contained, as expected from a sedan.
While climbing down on the return journey, the car held on to 3rd gear for most of the time, but eventually kept downshifting to 4th. Here, I found pedal shifters to be very useful. Kept toggling between 2nd and 3rd gear as needed.

The second highway drive was on Delhi-Mumbai Expressway (NE4). To be honest, the expressway is best done with Normal mode as there is very sparse traffic and speed cameras with 120kmph limit. For my entire run between Gurgaon and Dausa I never felt the need to switch to sports mode.

Switched on the ACC with speed set to 115kmph, turned on LKA and it was the most relaxed drive of my life. The curves were easily navigated by LKA and I was just keeping my hands on the steering to prevent the warning message. ACC took care of the braking and acceleration respectively, whenever there was another vehicle ahead and I switch the lane.

However, there was a Hector being driven really fast and overtook me. I was going at 115 kmph and he was definitely doing 130-140. Caught him up at a toll booth little ahead. We were in different lanes and coincidently, got through the gate at almost the same time. I switched to Sport mode, floored the pedal and zooooooooomed away. It took him a good 30-40 seconds to overtake me again (I went back to Normal mode after reaching 115kmph speed).

Quote:
Many on the forum felt the brake was not confidence inspiring but I felt otherwise.
Yes, the brakes are very comfortable and has a balanced response. Personally, I do not like the cars with that initial quick bite.

Quote:
I am still to come to terms with the forward collision breaking feature and it scares the hell out of you when it breaks sharply when you least expect it to. It is worrisome that this sudden breaking may lead to rear ending. Probably needs a change in our driving style.
Luckily for me, I have quickly adapted to forward collision feature. Yes, I do get the warning chimes of a forward collision but never in 5 months of ownership did car apply brakes on its own. On the other hand, one of my friends (who is a good drive, but never drove a car with ADAS) got to experience the forward collision braking twice within a span of 5 minutes. I had to turn it off before he could resume the driving.

However, automatic brakes take over frequently whenever I'm reversing out my car from the parking, which I am completely happy with. I don't mind impatient bikes and autos who are always in a hurry to cross even when they can see a car coming out from an apartment.

Looking forward to more highway drives and more reasons to smile.

Edit
P.S.: A comparison between Normal and Sport mode:
Car does 110kmph at 2100 rpm in Normal mode. In sports mode, it does 100kmph at 2400rpm. I noted the figures with AC set at 21 degree, 5 adults and luggage in the car.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 12th December 2023 at 13:21. Reason: Added last paragraph
MyLife_MyCar is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 14:41   #715
Senior - BHPian

Such experiences reinforce my belief in the importance of " assured available power". Wherever afforable, its always good to choose the most powerful variant of a car or the most powerful model in a choice of different cars.
fhdowntheline is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 22:08   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven 14k km in less than 6 months, loving the turbo petrol with MT .

I got average FE of 10 kmpl for first 10k km. Fuel bills crossed 1 lakh INR.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-screenshot_20231212_215953_gallery.jpg

I will post ownership review in few days, was busy driving this machine haha.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231028_172450.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231028_143327.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231026_175517.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231012_080403.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231012_080339.jpg
Dr.Naren is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 07:02   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

I got average FE of 10 kmpl for first 10k km.
Driving in sports mode, gunning her at high speed, still gives you 10 kmpl on an average. What more does one need? The Verna is indeed a true all rounder.
PS: That photo of the car along the hill road shows off the lovely side profile of the design.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 21:00   #718
BHPian

Quote:

I got average FE of 10 kmpl for first 10k km. Fuel bills crossed 1 lakh INR.
Greetings!
Glad to see you enjoy your car, I have done close to 12k km so far and was wondering if anyone has crossed it.

Off-topic, i noticed KL plates on your car, I'm planning to embark on a road trip to Kerala from Chennai in a couple of weeks. It will probably be a 5-6 day trip. I have set Munnar as my first destination and assuming it is a 1 and half day stay i can perhaps cover 2 more cities before returning to Chennai. I would very much appreciate if you can suggest me some places to visit and routes to take.

Suggestions from other BHPians reading this are also hugely welcomed!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by manson : 29th December 2023 at 08:41. Reason: Trimmed quoted text.
amg5610 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 22:53   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Yours was one of the posts that made me test-drive Verna. Hyundai was never in consideration during the purchase. You are munching miles with this awesome machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg5610 View Post
Suggestions from other BHPians reading this are also hugely welcomed!
Thanks in advance.
I suggest Alapuzha-the houseboats and coastal cuisine ( if you are a non-veg) and Trivandrum- temples, beaches and palaces. Although Sabarimala traffic might be there, the Munnar- Alapuzha drive will be enjoyable via high ranges.

Last edited by greyhound82 : 13th December 2023 at 23:00.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 04:32   #720
BHPian

Quote:
I will post ownership review in few days, was busy driving this machine haha.
These alloy wheels look amazingly HOT. I have the regular black alloys that come with the Turbo DCT but I’m not happy with how it looks on my Titan Grey car. I would have preferred the Silver ones.

How much did these cost? Do u get anything in exchange for the Hyundai alloys?

I’m definitely going to do something about the alloys - either paint them or change them, I haven’t decided that as yet.

Last edited by manson : 29th December 2023 at 08:42. Reason: Deleted blank rows in quoted text.
amitmk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks