Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2023, 19:09   #541
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMaHi View Post
Congratulations to all those getting their cars delivered this festive season! May you and your vehicles stay blessed!
I'm also in a similar dilemma between some cars : Verna SX IVT, Honda City V CVT, Tata Altroz DCA, Tiago EV, Maruti Baleno AGS. The question is if it'll be worth to buy the Verna over City and retain it for close to 8 years or just save money with the hatchback offerings
Thanks for the wishes; I was in a similar dilemma myself though between the Honda City, Verna SX (O) DCT and the Virtus or Slavia 1.5 DSG. I had decided to go for the top end anyway to avoid after market accessories except for the PPF/Ceramic and also to get the most powerful engines available in this segment! If it is the IVT, then definitely do try the Honda City CVT, which is also very good and has probably equally comfortable if not more comfortable seats. The Verna will however be a clear winner in the features list and the ventilated seats will probably be of great value in the North. I would recommend to drive both these cars over the similar route and see which is easier to handle, speed and stop, along with the utility and wow factor of the entertainment systems. The hatchback offerings might be more utility for money, but you would not get the boot size, comfort, road presence or the power in most cases. 8 years is quite a long time, so why not stretch a bit and go for the better options?
PeteKing75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 19:22   #542
BHPian

Quote:
I'm also in a similar dilemma between some cars: Verna SX IVT, Honda City V CVT, Tata Altroz DCA, Tiago EV, and Maruti Baleno AGS.Tata cars can have ownership niggles but Honda's business in India seems dubious. Feel free to drop a word of help as the confusion is getting too much to deal with.

I will avoid Tata due to its niggles and the way it takes out a smooth ownership experience. You need to invest a lot of your time to deal with the service centre if niggles appear.

I will consider only Verna and City from the list. Verna will be at the top, as it already wins your heart and is more modern and feature-loaded. Verna is more refined than Honda while CVT tuning is slightly better in City. Do extensive test drives and pick what you love

Last edited by greyhound82 : 24th October 2023 at 19:40.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 19:30   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations to all those getting their cars delivered this festive season! May you and your vehicles stay blessed!
I'm also in a similar dilemma between some cars : Verna SX IVT, Honda City V CVT, Tata Altroz DCA, Tiago EV, Maruti Baleno AGS.
Thank you DocMahi for the wishes. I would suggest you to take a TD for Verna IVT and City CVT. Don’t go for Tiago or Altroz as it would not be exactly an upgrade for you. Verna is richer in features and IVT is as good as the city. As mentioned in my post, I was using City CVT for a long time and recently got the Verna IVT. Both drives really good.
Also you mentioned about the requirement of a better ICE. So Verna fits the bill perfectly. City’s ICE is not good IMHO. It is difficult to read in sunlight due to its orientation. Also it is laggy and reverse camera resolution is poor. City is mechanically wonderful machine and will serve you well. However as you mentioned, I am also worried about Honda’s long term existence in India. I will be truly happy if I am proven wrong.
In short, my recommendation is Verna. Still you check both, take TD, see available offers at your location and take the final call.
harikr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 23:21   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteKing75 View Post
8 years is quite a long time, so why not stretch a bit and go for the better options?
Sir, I really appreciate your opinion, and while I agree that stretching to the top model is great! Those ventilated seats will be sorely and surely missed. The finances were toned down and fixed by higher ups! To be honest, even the SX variant is leagues ahead of my Spartan Swift which is basically an economy go-kart. Also I believe turbo variant with DCT might be another issue for majority usage in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I will avoid Tata due to its niggles and the way it takes out a smooth ownership experience. You need to invest a lot of your time to deal with the service centre if niggles appear.
Yes, exactly my thoughts sir! Current ownership of the Maruti has set a threshold with 8 years of absolutely no mechanical issues! I'd rather not compromise on it until the product strikes the chords of my self proclaimed enthusiast, which has been given a backseat for this purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
I am also worried about Honda’s long term existence in India. I will be truly happy if I am proven wrong.
In short, my recommendation is Verna. Still you check both, take TD, see available offers at your location and take the final call.
I appreciate the helpful insight sir. I myself am surprised to say that Verna has my heart, it pampers with the ambience and feature set on offer compared to my current car which is as bare bones as it can get. Honda on the other hand, is in rough waters right now, I want them to succeed so much so that I want some way to justify buying the City over Verna.

I'm truly grateful to all the community members to help me out, I'll let you know how the journey goes. Lastly, should I really worry too much about the mileage this class of vehicles offer? Can a 10+ be expected with CVT?
DocMaHi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 06:01   #545
Senior - BHPian

If you want to buy a manual transmission naturally aspirated Honda sedan and keep it going for 10 years with minimum maintenance, then go for the City. The 2023 Verna is equal or better in many other aspects. I have owned a City CVT previously so I know that the rear seat space of the Verna is better for 3 medium sized adults, the boot is a bit bigger.
There is a turbo petrol available that is miles ahead in performance, and it is available with a manual option for enthusiasts. Hyundai ADAS is a bit more comprehensive, based on camera and radar. Honda desperately needs a powerful engine, and also fatter tyres. Those 185 section tyres just dont make the grade anymore.
Lastly, no mid size sedan gives astounding mileage in urban conditions. 10-12 is a "good" mileage in today's times. If that is the sole criterion then there are hybrid options available too!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 25th October 2023 at 06:04.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 11:31   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
225 45 R17 Bluearth GT tyres totally transformed the dynamics of the car. Handling is brilliant on ghats now.
Hello, how have the new wheels and tyres impacted the city driving? Is the ride stiffer than before? Bumpy?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by manson : 29th December 2023 at 08:58. Reason: Trimmed quoted text.
Old 26th October 2023, 14:10   #547
Senior - BHPian

A question to the fellow Verna-23 owners. I noticed a couple of times that the PDC i.e. Park Distance Control got activated on its own( seemingly) resulting in the ADAS abruptly slamming brakes when I reversed back from a parking slot and turned forward and then to the right to start driving, while negotiating a static obstacle in the front (stationary vehicle). This is accompanied by a visual warning on the console.
Any thoughts ? I have already disabled Forward collision btw. Is there some other sub-menu to be looked at?

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 26th October 2023 at 14:12.
Old 26th October 2023, 17:49   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I noticed a couple of times that the PDC i.e. Park Distance Control got activated on its own( seemingly) resulting in the ADAS abruptly slamming brakes
It will also brake when blind spot collision avoidance is activated
Screen shot from manual
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_1340.jpeg

Last edited by greyhound82 : 26th October 2023 at 18:01.
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 20:40   #549
BHPian

If the forward safety is switched off, the AEB light appears in the console and when switched on, it disappears. Is this a normal behaviour? I am sure most folks would have turned this off as it could be dangerous in city traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_4258.jpeg  

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_4257.jpeg  

PeteKing75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 20:57   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteKing75 View Post
If the forward safety is switched off, the AEB light appears in the console and when switched on, it disappears. Is this a normal behaviour?
Kindly disregard as I got the answer from the Verna manual itself and did not need a service station visit. AEB light does appear in the console if the forward safety is off!
PeteKing75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 07:45   #551
BHPian

Got the car PPF and ceramic coated. Work has come out quite well and the detailer will check it a week later for any air bubbles. There are a few paint bubbles in the car and according to the detailer, even luxury cars like Volvos have some paint bubbles nowadays! He even showed a new 50 lakh Kodiaq with a paint bubble! Is the robotic painting to blame?

While entering my garage I accidentally touched a pot while parking and the PPF seems to have protected the paint with just a small cut right at the bottom near the mud flap and a small scratch! I might just leave it as our Indian eye dot to ward off any evil eye or careless one in this case ��; I will be getting the number plates installed today at detailer and then take it out on a highway ride over weekend!

Some pics of my new and yet unnamed car:
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-5785ba0ccfb0442eb46ee2b49ab0b9b8.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_4248.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_4245.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_4241.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_4238.jpeg

Last edited by manson : 29th December 2023 at 08:59. Reason: Rearranged attachment. Please use the insert picture tab below the test you intend to have the picture.
PeteKing75 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 08:01   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
It will also brake when blind spot collision avoidance is activated
Screen shot from manual
Attachment 2521972
So are you suggesting that the system may be detecting another vehicle coming along the side while I am about to begin driving and therefore automatically applies brakes ? - One more learning ,it looks like.
PS- I guess (hope) that ADAS is hardcoded and does not receive OTA updates going forward. We may just get an upgrade to v2.1 or something
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 12:07   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
So are you suggesting that the system may be detecting another vehicle coming along the side while I am about to begin driving and therefore automatically applies brakes ?
Yes, it does that. And in my case, it applies automatic brakes almost everytime I take my car out of parking (I take it out in reverse) since there is always some pedestrian or bike or other vehicle crossing.

For initial 2-3 instances I was very apprehensive about it. However, once you get used to it, you'll be thanking this feature as it captures things that escapes our line of sight.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 12:32   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Congrats on the new car. Just curious, why didn't you try to learn driving? I didn't know cycling as my dad had prohibited me (his brother got killed in a motorcycle on his son's first birthday). But I learnt cycling at the age of 41.
I was born with congenital cataract. Both eyes have been operated, but I don't have 100 percent binocular vision, so I can't judge distance accurately. I did learn to drive my dad's official Ambassador in the late 1980s, but that was on an open road in daytime. Anytime else, I'm quite likely to hit someone. Hence, no desire to have a license, but love lurking here!
HarshS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 23:16   #555
BHPian

Fellow manual transmission owners, do you observe any engine lugging when driving at 3/4/5 gear and leave the accelerator suddenly around 1k rpm? In my car it happens a lot, and it feels like the car has lost power suddenly and I always need to downshift immediately. Do note that this doesn't happen always, and at times the car just pulls off easily in the same gear.

What is going wrong? Am I not driving correctly?

Last edited by manson : 29th December 2023 at 09:00. Reason: Typo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks