Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2023, 18:05   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tourer View Post
Could anyone help with how to use the auto hold and start/stop system especially when waiting at a signal please? I feel I may be doing it wrong.
Yes you are

Always move the selector to N and engage parking brake while waiting at a signal. This is for your own safety and others , no two ways about it.

Some vehicles will automatically change from auto-hold to parking brake with suitable warning light on the dashboard , regardless of this do not leave the vehicle in D while you are waiting at a signal.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 19:49   #452
Senior - BHPian

BN7i_BROCHURE_GEN_RHD_ENG.pdf

Do have a look at this brochure.
Old 29th September 2023, 23:23   #453
Senior - BHPian

OMG! Verna should have been launched with this kind of lighting setup. Why Hyundai India, why?

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-rhd.png

Those black vertical inserts in the bumper look nice with those fog lamps.
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 02:23   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
OMG! Verna should have been launched with this kind of lighting setup. Why Hyundai India, why?
Usually not a big fan of chrome inserts but the chrome at the bottom of the grill looks nicely done. I'm hoping it hits the aftermarket scene soon.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th September 2023 at 02:54. Reason: Quote trimmed
Old 30th September 2023, 11:21   #455
BHPian

Had a minor incident with the car this morning.
While reversing the car, I bumped it to a tree as I was paying more attention to a sewage line on my right.

The result - minor dent on the upper part of the boot.

Is there a way this can be fixed?
Pardon the dust on the car, thanks to the non stop construction in my area.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_20230930_115039.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-polish_20230930_111821050.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-polish_20230930_111726307.jpg
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:12   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post

The result - minor dent on the upper part of the boot.

Is there a way this can be fixed?
Any FNG having a dent puller machine or your Hyundai A$$ can easily do this. If you are near to Dwarka I can suggest a good FNG. I used their services on my Harrier and workmanship was good
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:27   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Any FNG having a dent puller machine or your Hyundai A$$ can easily do this. If you are near to Dwarka I can suggest a good FNG. I used their services on my Harrier and workmanship was good
Yes, even I'm thinking of a dent puller, however, the surface is not plane. Will give it a try.
Old 1st October 2023, 11:43   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I I sold off my 2020 Harrier and understood I was more of a sedan person.
Surprised to read that you sold off the Harrier. You had just posted a 3rd service review on the dedicated thread.

Apart from the service / experience, was there anything that lead you to make this decision?
Old 1st October 2023, 11:50   #459
BHPian

The Germans seem to have put on a bit of weight!

Growing up in the 1980s and 1990s, it was a dream of mine to own a 190D Mercedes. I was besotted by it, as well as the BMW 3 series – in my opinion, they were (and still are!) amongst the most beautiful cars ever designed – sleek, smart, stylish and devastatingly beautiful. I have watched these cars evolve since then, over a period of 30 years, eagerly awaiting the next generation/ evolution of these cars. Admittedly, I’m a huge fan of German cars, and thoroughly agree with Mercedes’ erstwhile tagline of “The most beautifully engineered car in the world”. I agree, they are! They are also “Designed to move the human spirit”. Indeed, they do!

I’m no car expert, but recently driving around town I noticed that the German cars were getting larger and larger, almost bulbous in their size, specially the new BMW X series. And I got wondering about it – why?

So I did a little research, and noticed that since the 1960s, where most German cars came into their current classification, their size had grown significantly, between 13% (almost 1 meter square in the case of Mercedes) and 26% (1.8 meter square in the case of BMW):

Area m2 1960 2022 Growth
Merc 7.68 8.65 13%
BMW 3 7.00 8.81 26%
Audi A4 7.75 8.80 13%

Source: Carwale, OpenAI

That got me thinking, wondering why the core models of the formidable Germans – the volume drivers, as it were – needed to keep growing in size, when the world was getting more crowded, traffic was getting worse, and pollution was an ever-growing issue?

That got me thinking, wondering why the core models of the formidable Germans – the volume drivers, as it were – needed to keep growing in size, when the world was getting more crowded, traffic was getting worse, and pollution was an ever-growing issue?

Perhaps this was due to the fact that the cars were packing in more features and technology? More luxury and more gizmos, giving better mileage/ less pollution? Now this got me to do some even more research (all data below is sourced from CarWale.com), this time on their feature sets. I did it for the top 15 criteria that I use to buy my cars. For comparison purposes, I took the Hyundai Verna, a much smaller and less expensive daily commuter – for no other reason that it seemed a smaller car that had recently got an update, and I saw the awesome review on Team-BHP (Disclaimer: I do not own a Verna, or in fact any sedan, and of the lot, have only driven the BMW 3-series in Mumbai city). The results of my research are below:

To start with, let’s talk price (all ex-showroom):
The Verna at Rs 17 lakhs was way lower than the Audi at Rs 43.8 lakh and the others at over Rs 60 lakh, viz, we are comparing a car which is just 32% the average price of the three others.

Dimensions:
The Verna came in at 8 meters square, compared to 8.81 meters square of the largest of them all, the BMW. That’s 10% less space. With 528 litres of boot space, it was second only to the Merc’s 540 litres, but higher than the 460-480 of the other Germans. Not bad!

Engine:
For me, the power to weight ratio is always critical. On the Verna, each horse needs to pull 7.85 kg of car, which is comparable to the Audi (7.7 kg), lower than the Merc’s 8.33 kg, but higher than the BMW performance machine’s 5.94 kg.
All four engines are turbo-charged, 4 Cylinders Inline, 4 Valves/Cylinder, DOHC.

Mileage:
Being the smallest car, Advantage Verna at over 20 kmpl, compared to just 15,4 for the BMW and around 17,5 for the Merc and Audi. Lets strike out the assumption that the Germans have invested in more fule efficient tech!

Tyres:
All cars came with alloy wheels (the prettiest being those of the BMW in my opinion!), but the Merc and BMW came with those silly space saver tyres (really?) while the Audi had alloys, and the Verna a steel but full-sized spare.

Safety features:
The Verna came out tops with the most safety features, being the only one to have all Lane departure warning, Emergency brake light flashing, Forward collision warning, High-beam assist, Blind spot detection, Lane departure prevention and Rear cross traffic assist! It had 6 airbags (like the BMW), short of the 7 on the Merc and 8 on the Audi. The Verna was the only car with cornering headlights, but the only one not to have rain-sensing wipers. All cars had internal anti-glare mirrors, but the Merc had it for all rear and side view mirrors (something that must be made compulsory, I feel)! All cars had hill hold, TPMS, ABS, EBD and ESP.

Comfort:
All 4 cars had automatic ACs, though the Verna had a single-sone unit, while the others were dual or three zone units. All cars had rear AC vents, driver and co-driver vanity mirrors (a must for the wife!), one touch windows. Only the verna had a cooled glove box as per the website (but this seems a typo and unlikely!). The Merc had a panoramic sunroof (and what an awesome sunroof it is!) while all the three others had electrically operated ones. The merc had massage seats. All front seats (driver and passenger) were electrically adjustable (6-way for the Verna; 10-12 way for the others three).

Parking:
All had reverse cameras, and front and rear sensors (except the Audi which only had rear sensors). The Germans came with a 360 degree camera on some models, which the Verna didn’t have as per the web-site – a clear miss!

Driving:
All cars had tilt and telescopic steering wheels, keyless start, cruise control and telematics (between 7 and 9 important features each).

Entertainment:
All cars had wireless Apple/ Andriod connectivity, and screens between 10 and 10.25 inches (except the 12.5 inch on the Merc). The Verna had eight speakers; the others between 8 and 16.

Looks:
A very subjective area, but I must say the Merc (as always) stands out as the most handsome design for me (the new EQS and CLA classes, in particular, look just incredible!), while the BMW just looks weird now, the Audi looks like its designers are plain lazy and just don’t want to tinker with its looks in any significant way, and the Verna, while not at all handsome, is at least different from what it was 10 years ago, and is willing to adopt new and dynamic styling.

Warranty:
All cars came with three years warranty, while the Audi came with just 2. Additional packs were on offer for all.

Ok, I need time to digest this. The automotive world has been changing, and quickly, isn’t it?

In conclusion, my opinion:
The research showed me one important thing: that relatively lower-end products were quickly bridging the gap between themselves and the Germans, and for a third of the price at that! In fact, a super top-end Verna with some of the missed-out features might actually give the Germans of a run for their money on a like-to- like basis at half the price! No wonder then, that the Germans are adding weight – it seems the only way to differentiate them from the competition! And in doing so, they become that much less fuel efficient, and that much less environmentally friendly!

I may be totally wrong in my analysis (and I look forward to many comments on just how ridiculous this comparison is!), having not driven all the cars, but day-um! as they say, the comparison is definitely very, very interesting! Cant wait to see where the future takes us!
pheru8b is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 12:36   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Apart from the service/experience, was there anything that lead you to make this decision?
My Harrier was at 38k and devoid of any niggles other than a slight left pull which a very detailed eye will notice. Following are the reasons to part it with

1. The connection was not there. It was more of a functional machine. I know it's not rational or quantifiable

2. During our purchase in 2020, Harrier was a last-minute entry as there were no powerful sedans( I love spirited driving on open highways within the speed limit ). We booked Seltos 1.4 turbo DCT but the waiting was more than 5-6 months, which made me go ahead with Harrier.

3. I love refined, sporty petrol engines and thought the time was right to have one before switching to electric

4. Wanted a smoother service experience.

5. To avoid a re-registration in Kerala where we will be going for the next couple of years(Hometown posting). A BH will be easy rather than explaining at every MVD checkpoint

In summary, it was a compromise and an experiment for me to try out Tata. So when the opportunity came, I sold it off and went ahead with a fast sedan that I fell in love with after the test drive. It was not a good financial decision as Tata suffers from bad resale but I went ahead with YOLO

Last edited by greyhound82 : 1st October 2023 at 12:47.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 12:43   #461
BHPian

Quote:
The research showed me one important thing: that relatively lower-end products were quickly bridging the gap between themselves and the Germans, and for a third of the price at that! In fact, a super top-end Verna with some of the missed-out features might actually give the Germans of a run for their money on a like-to- like basis at half the price! No wonder then, that the Germans are adding weight – it seems the only way to differentiate them from the competition! And in doing so, they become that much less fuel efficient, and that much less environmentally friendly!

I may be totally wrong in my analysis (and I look forward to many comments on just how ridiculous this comparison is!), having not driven all the cars, but day-um! as they say, the comparison is definitely very, very interesting! Cant wait to see where the future takes us!
What about differences in build, paint, metal quality?
Quality of seats, seat covers, entertainment unit etc. should also be compared.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 19:47   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Finally took delivery of the new Verna DCT SX(O)
Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Wish you many happy and safe miles of beautiful memories with the car.

The car looks stunning in black.

You delivery experience has been a pleasant one and needs to be emulated by all dealers for all manufacturers. Kudos to Hyundai and the dealership.

The write-up has been detailed and almost a review of taking a text book delivery.
helios9406 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 13:50   #463
BHPian

Quote:
What about differences in build, paint, metal quality?
Quality of seats, seat covers, entertainment unit etc. should also be compared.
Definitely all of these matter! I did look at the JD Power ratings, which give a good comparison of build quality and dependability, etc and was again surprised to see Hyundai right up there in the winner list! (Refer attached screenshot)

I totally agree that seats and interiors and music systems of the Germans may be (will be!) much better than in smaller, less expensive cars.

The key is: the price premium demanded by the Germans is just so much, it doesn't always feel justified. However, there are other aspects like exclusivity, snob appeal, etc. on which one just can't put a price!.

It's a clarion call for the Germans to put in a lot more effort on hard core innovation, and not just size!
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-screenshot_20231002134359_chrome.jpg  

pheru8b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 19:24   #464

I'd earlier decided to buy a Glanza CNG G model with six airbags. The details of why and how I chose that are in this long post

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...ml#post5535633 (ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India).

At that time, I could only afford this, but when I announced this to my family, I was advised to upgrade to a sedan (you buy only once). With their financial support, my budget went from Rs. 11 lakh to Rs. 14 lakh and the Glanza booking canceled--it helped that my preferred silver colour wasn't available. Back to the sedan search. My first choice was a Volkswagen Virtus. It looked good; had a high ground clearance; had five star safety rating; had a comfortable rear seat; big boot space. Sadly, the six airbags version came in at Rs. 18 lakh, more than I could afford.

I'd also seen the new Verna in the showroom. it looked long, sleek, low, and its taillights sloping down reminded me of a 1960s American racing car (Pontiac or Cougar or whatever). All Verna models came with six airbags, so that immediately put it in the top of my choice. Yes, it had a (supposed) three-star rating, but any sedan would be safe than the Glanza that I'd booked earlier.

The basic E version was too basic. At Rs. 14 lakh, the next S version seemed fine--it came with a few more useful kit. A test drive, naturally of the top-end showed to me that it was a comfortable rear bench, and as the reviews said, its rear suspension did a good job over bad roads.

Aside: I don't drive (don't have a license, but been on this forum for 18 years!). Car would be driven by a driver, and so rear seat comfort, safety, and space was what's important.

Booked the S version. A few weeks later, some money from an expired insurance came my way--and the budget went up by Rs. 75,000, and a bit more to Rs. 15.1 lakh, for the SX version, which I changed my booking to. The SX version has a small sunroof (nowhere as good as the panoramic sunroof that my partner's Jeep has); it has a rear camera; front parking sensors; and some more kit that I could do without, but I suppose good to have.

On June 29, I took delivery of my starry night Verna SX (manual) at Gurgaon. Final price came to just over Rs. 15 lakh (including insurance). I got the footmats and the mudflats free. I've now been driven 3,100 km in it, and here's how I came to appreciate the car.

At first, what I didn't like about the car:
1) It's front looks weird--the low bonnet and the light line in front--as if the front was something different bolted onto the rest of the car.
2) The back was too raised--almost as if it was a dog squatting before relieving itself.
3) Lower ground clearance, as compared to Virtus.
4) Too modern in its looks; not as timeless as Virtus.

Here's how I began to like the car.
1) Heck, its look is so "Back to the Future" futuristic, but that's good.
2) The Starry Night, dark blue colour is majestic.
3) It's a long car, and thus the legroom at the back is a lot, more than the Virtus.
4) The white fabric upholstery and the white inside LED lights make it look modern from the inside, complementing its outside design.
5) Opening the shutter (but keeping the sunroof closed) make the car feel more airy and still more spacious.
6) Very good suspension. Drove during the monsoon downpours in the bad roads of Gurgaon, and it didn't thud or jar or crash too much. I've found an experienced driver, so that helps too.
7) Not a Virtus--the AC cools sufficiently (I keep the temperature at 24).
8) Not a VW--so spare parts will be cheaper (and definitely cheaper than the Jeep).
9) I can get in and out of the rear seat comfortably, so its (lower) ground clearance is tolerable. The front seat has a lower height, so slightly more effort is needed to exit it.
10) A very large boot space, apparently a few litres more than the Virtus.
11) The under thigh support in the rear seat is adequate. Surprisingly, the deepest rear seats were in the Tiguan, but I wasn't buying that (again Rs. 3 lakh more).
12) Did I mention: six airbags for Rs. 3 lakh cheaper than the Virtus.

What could be better?
Fuel efficiency. Mostly bad city traffic, with a run to Greater Noida on the Noida expressway every two weeks. The tankful-to-tankful method has given me a best average of 11.78 kmpl; currently getting 11.2. Brochure said 18 kmpl. Reviews had claimed 15. I'm hoping it'll reach 12 at least. Can't complain--I consciously gave up a CNG hatchback for a sedan.

In its dimensions and rear-seat experience, the 2023 Verna looks comparable to a Ciaz. If a Ciaz had six airbags, I may have taken that. Perhaps it has a bit more safety kit than a Ciaz (Hill Hold Assist, I think). And hopefully its engine is a tad more frugal than a Ciaz (which government drivers tell me is sometimes less than 11kmpl).

Whenever I see a Virtus, I ask myself--could I not have found Rs. 3 lakh more and bought its topline MT 1.0 engine. But I couldn't, so I've learnt to love my Verna, and I hope to spend the next ten years or so perched on its comfortable bank seat. When I can spare another Rs. 45,000, I'm going to get leather seat covers and additional foam to make the rear seat a little higher and a little deeper so that the under-thigh support is perfect for me. I might also increase the height of front passenger seat slightly at that point.

If you want a chauffeur driven sedan and don't have too much money, the Verna is a good choice.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_0905.jpeg  

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_1519.jpeg  

HarshS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:34   #465
BHPian

The new Verna scores 5-stars in GNCAP Test.

The new Verna scores 5-stars in GNCAP.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 3rd October 2023 at 12:36.
ashvek3141 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks