Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2024, 19:02   #256
BHPian

Re: Toyota Hilux Review

Guys

I have had the good fortune of doing a summer Ladakh and winter Spiti for a couple of months. I will say nothing really beats the robustness of a Hilux. I have seen multiple modified Hiluxs in these areas.

These vehicles present bullet proof reliability. Amazing reliability, solid build and robustness.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 11:51   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The only thing i wish the hilux didn't have is the DPF. 15K on ODO, it hasn't been bothering much but definitely something that reduces the ability of this truck.
If I'm not mistaken, the newer BS6 Phase 2 Toyota's got better DPFs than the initial batches (can't quote from anywhere but I vaguely remember reading it somewhere). Let us hope the new ones don't throw any tantrums.
Slightly going off topic but Toyota Australia lodged an appeal in response to the class action lawsuit filed against them in the Federal Court of Australia (Sydney). A quote directly from their official statement reads below:

"What about the class action against Toyota regarding DPF?

The class action concerns approximately 264,000 diesel Hilux, Prado and Fortuner vehicles fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that were purchased or leased between October 2015 – April 2020.

On 7 April 2022, judgment in the initial trial of the DPF class action was delivered in the Federal Court of Australia (Sydney). On 10 June 2022, Toyota Australia lodged an appeal (details below).

Since becoming aware of DPF concerns, Toyota has worked continuously on an effective resolution for affected customers. At every step, we believe that we have implemented customer focused and technically grounded remedies to resolve customers’ concerns.

Any Toyota owners with questions or concerns about the DPF class action are free to seek independent legal advice."

Let us hope Toyota Bharat has also implemented the so called 'Technically Grounded Remedies' (Pure marketing jargon which makes no sense to me at least )
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:41   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the newer BS6 Phase 2 Toyota's got better DPFs than the initial batches (can't quote from anywhere but I vaguely remember reading it somewhere). Let us hope the new ones don't throw any tantrums.
Yes its better and I don't deny. I have a 2021 Fortuner too which has done 55K and have done high altitude drives too. Its better than before, but cannot be driven carefree like the BS4. You need to ensure diesel quality is good, have to do bit of planning for high altitude, may have to avoid frequent start stop. That said Toyota have made it much better, the display showing the current status of DPF is very helpful along with other mechanical changes they made.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 09:14   #259

Quote:
Love the halogen units in my Hilux. During my recent drive, it was raining quite heavily and found the headlamps quite good. I was considering to replace these with some LED but after my drive in rains, have decided retain stock halogen units.

Attachment 2620691
Hi, I have the same model too but I have upgraded the halogens to Osram.

Thanks
Pankaj.

Quote:
Thank you. I was looking for something very basic truck with 4WD, AC, Power steering and airbags. Would have picked up a barebones Hilux, but the standard variant came with juicy discount which was no brainer. The only thing i wish the hilux didn't have is the DPF. 15K on ODO, it hasn't been bothering much but definitely something that reduces the ability of this truck.
Hi, my Hilux has done over 21k kms. DPF auto regen happens every approx. 350 kms. It doesn't bother at all. If for some reason, you have to stop the engine during a DPF regen, it starts back again when the engine is started next.

Thanks!

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th July 2024 at 09:21. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks!
Old 4th August 2024, 19:59   #260

After a lot of research on the value option for lid, finally decided on the Carryboy soft lid model CB-743N.

Link for reference: https://carryboysportlid.com/soft-to...cover/cb-743n/

I had procured this from Thailand and got it installed at Azad 4WD workshop in Bangalore. Costed about 8K including installation. The outcome is decent and to my liking; they were able to retain and integrate the rollbar which was installed as accessory during the vehicle purchase.

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-4.37.27-pm.jpeg

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-4.37.28-pm-1.jpeg

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-4.37.28-pm-2.jpeg

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-4.37.28-pm.jpeg

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-4.37.29-pm.jpeg

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-2.38.09-pm-1.jpeg

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-2.38.09-pm.jpeg

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240803-2.38.25-pm-1.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240706-11.13.44-am.jpeg  

Toyota Hilux Review-whatsapp-image-20240706-11.14.13-am.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th August 2024 at 06:54. Reason: could able to > were able to, accessary > accessory
MC@1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 00:12   #261

Hi everyone, I've been closely following this thread and it's been incredibly helpful in finalizing my next purchase – a Grey Hilux Automatic! I'm excited to share that I plan to book it tomorrow morning as I've managed to secure a good deal IMO.

However, there's a slight twist. The Hilux at the dealership might be 2-4 months old. I'm eager to know if there are any common issues or concerns I should be aware of. Additionally, what precautions should I take before taking delivery?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm both thrilled and a bit melancholic about upgrading from my trusty 1.0L Polo TSI to the Hilux in the next week or two. Hopefully, I'll manage to get some sleep tonight amidst all the excitement!

Thanks
B.Manoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 03:26   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Manoj View Post
However, there's a slight twist. The Hilux at the dealership might be 2-4 months old. I'm eager to know if there are any common issues or concerns I should be aware of. Additionally, what precautions should I take before taking delivery?
Congratulations on the new ride

2-4 month old stock is not a big deal at all. Just ensure that you (or engage one of the reputed 3rd party agencies to) do a thorough PDI - Refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...heck-list.html (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List).
jfk1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 10:18   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Manoj View Post
Hi everyone, I've been closely following this thread and it's been incredibly helpful in finalizing my next purchase – a Grey Hilux Automatic! I'm excited to share that I plan to book it tomorrow morning as I've managed to secure a good deal IMO.

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm both thrilled and a bit melancholic about upgrading from my trusty 1.0L Polo TSI to the Hilux in the next week or two. Hopefully, I'll manage to get some sleep tonight amidst all the excitement!

Thanks
Congratulations on the decision. Please get the VIN details from the dealer and check the manufacturing date. If it's two months old, no need to worry much. Beyond that, check the Tyres, Battery and Fluids condition. BTW, how much discount you are getting currently and from which dealer if that can de disclosed. One of my friend is looking to Buy one, this could help him too..
MC@1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 15:31   #264

BHPians, Have recently bought a Hilux and extremely happy with how it is going. I am an avid MTB cyclist and want to install a 3-4 cycle truck bed rack alongwith a tonneau cover. I would like to close the tonneau cover when I am carrying anything else besides the bikes. I am thinking to keep the bikes in reverse so I can close the tailgate with the handles bent sideways.

Since I intend to use it quite often (every weekend of sorts) for the bikes, I would have to drive quite a bit with the tonneau cover kept open and bikes in the truck bed. Also, I can't install the retractable one as it takes up another 8-10 inches of spaces in the truck bed. In that case, I will have to drive with tailgate kept open which is not a good idea either. I am hoping the only option is not the tailgate sack with bikes hanging outside.

Can someone share ideas or share some pics if someone has done this combo before? Essentially, I am looking for a tonneau cover which can work with rack and if possible, a roll bar

PS: A roll bar in addition to this will be cool as well but not mandatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux Review-bike-rack.png  

Old 12th August 2024, 19:34   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloMoto View Post

Can someone share ideas
You can use a bike axle mount and mount it on a peice of plywood. You will need to take the front tyre off and mount your cycle on this axle mount.

This way your cycles dont stick out of the truck bed (height).

You can carry 3 full size MTBs side by side. You can even place this on a trifold cover with the axle mount on top of the last fold when in open position.

https://amzn.to/4dHj93c

https://amzn.to/3AmDlZA

Last edited by bharatbs : 12th August 2024 at 19:38.
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 10:36   #266

I have evaluated and have kept these as a last option. It is too much of a hassle to remove the front wheel of 3 bikes every other morning, securing the spare tires, and then come back home and do it all over again. I have a quick release in all the bikes but every now and then one tends to forget the spacer and then have to claw it disc brakes open.

So the problem still holds. Trying to figure out a convenient tonneau cover and cycle rack combo where the cover can be kept open while driving when the cycles are mounted and the cycles can mounted/dismounted quickly with the least amount of friction (10 yo kid should be able to do it)
Old 13th August 2024, 13:42   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloMoto View Post
..... Trying to figure out a convenient tonneau cover and cycle rack combo where the cover can be kept open while driving when the cycles are mounted and the cycles can mounted/dismounted quickly with the least amount of friction (10 yo kid should be able to do it)
Get a proper hard lid with cross bars. Get a crossbar mounted cycle rack and carry the cycles on top of that hard lid. A number of options from various manufacturers are available. Thailand based as well as Australia based.

Something like this:

https://www.utemaster.com.au/select-...bike-carriers/

All this can actually be made in India too if you have a good custom manufacturer. Like something which bhpian cornelio has.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 13th August 2024 at 13:46.
Old 13th August 2024, 14:37   #268

Have heard Traffic police being a menace for these kind of cycle mounts. Although I agree that this is the most efficient use of the space. Has anyone had experience using these? How can I find the profile of bhpian cornelio and what has he done?
Old 13th August 2024, 16:31   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk1975 View Post
Congratulations on the new ride

2-4 month old stock is not a big deal at all. Just ensure that you (or engage one of the reputed 3rd party agencies to) do a thorough PDI - Refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...heck-list.html (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List).
Thank you! I appreciate the above information, I'll try and book a third-party inspection if possible. I'll be taking the delivery of the Ute on Friday. Not sure how much time I get before that plus I have paid the whole amount already since I'm getting the complete de-chroming done from them & the dash cam too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC@1986 View Post
Congratulations on the decision. Please get the VIN details from the dealer and check the manufacturing date. If it's two months old, no need to worry much. Beyond that, check the Tyres, Battery and Fluids condition. BTW, how much discount you are getting currently and from which dealer if that can de disclosed. One of my friend is looking to Buy one, this could help him too..
Thank you and I will look into the aforementioned points. As per the SM, it's a June 2024 model. So, I'm a little less worried. I'm swapping the stock tires with the Maxxis 265/70 as we are using them on the 2021 Fortuner and I liked them. Also, the BFGs are very difficult to get hold of plus the costs are ridiculously high.

Discounts: A couple of people have messaged me, I'm sorry I can't reply to your messages as my account is new.

I got 12L off, On road price comes up to around 46.85L - 12L = 34.85L !!
Initially, they had offered me 10L and after a couple of discussions and test drives, they reduced the Insurance premium from 1.57L to 97L and a total of 12L was confirmed. I tried calling all the other showrooms i.e., Nandi, Ravindu, etc (we send the Fortuner to Nandi for servicing) so I know the GM there. But they didn't have any stocks with them and with the new stocks, they won't go as high as 10-12. Ravindu has also pulled the plugs and started offering 5L discounts only. I felt 35L for this beast is more or less a great price so I paid the booking amount and closed it asap.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th August 2024 at 17:23.
B.Manoj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks