Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 23:32   #46

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcsastudent View Post
Guys ! Have been a long time lurker on the forums, but posting for the first time - since I have specially become a member - to give an ownership review of the MG Hector Plus - 2023 Facelift version - 6 seater Petrol AT. The variant is Sharp Pro.

The Negatives :
Though your post is pretty informative, I am surprised to see some if the negatives mentioned.
I have been using the New Gen Hector Sharp Pro cvt since the past 3 weeks / 600 odd kms and I have never experienced points 2, 5, 8, 11, & 13 (not even in the 4 test drives I undertook - which, trust me, were very thorough and taken alongside different sets of knowledgeable folks in my circle).

Point 1 - most times my touchscreen loads up in 10-15 seconds max though there has been 1 or 2 odd instances where it took more time.

Points 3, 7 & 10 are fairly relative to each individual so I wont comment on them

Point 4 - yes, this surely is a bother, especially if you are maintaining a dark color car where even minor scratches are visible

Points 6, 12 & 15 - Yes these did bother me initially but have got used to it now!

Point 9 - I have a 5 seater version so cant comment. That said, one of my test drives was in a 6 seater and this indeed looked like an issue

Point 14 - Some amount of body roll is there but nothing significant to affect my drive quality

Looking at the above, I would suggest you to cross check if some of these are isolated issues and/or what's the root cause - since some of the points can potentially mar your ownership experience.
UsualSuspect is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 17:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm not attaching any photos/videos of the car since they are available aplenty on the net, and also since I'm writing this on a phone. If anyone wants any specific photos or videos to subtantiate what I have written below, I'd be happy to click it for you.
Hi, I would still like to see pics of your Hector in real life. Not the filtered, snazzed up images of some auto journos!

If you could, can you share the exterior as well say interior images (esp the instrument console) and new touchscreen. Thanks!
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 08:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm not attaching any photos/videos of the car since they are available aplenty on the net, and also since I'm writing this on a phone. If anyone wants any specific photos or videos to subtantiate what I have written below, I'd be happy to click it for you.
Hi still awaiting pics. Please share.

@ mods. Sorry for back to back posts. Please merge.
Old 7th March 2023, 08:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Hi still awaiting pics. Please share.

@ mods. Sorry for back to back posts. Please merge.
Hey ! Been running very busy. Will click and upload in 1-2 days

On an unrelated note, if any mod wants to check my antecedants - as to whether i actually do own the aforementioned car, I'd be happy to provide proof.

Cheers!
Dcsastudent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 17:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

2023 MG Hector spied with new design alloy wheels

MG launched the 2023 Hector facelift earlier this year. The latest images captured at a dealer yard suggest that the SUV will now come with new design alloy wheels.

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-2023mghectornewalloysspied1.jpg

The MG Hector received significant updates in January. It got a revised chrome grille and a split headlamp design. However, the 18-inch dual-tone alloys were carried over unchanged. The new set of wheels features a dual-tone 5-spoke design.

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-2023mghectornewalloysspied2768x835.jpg

MG has also made several changes to the interior of the 2023 Hector. The dashboard now features redesigned air-con vents and a 14-inch portrait touchscreen infotainment system in the centre.

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-2023mghectornewalloysspied3600x450.jpg

The updated Hector is available with two engine options: a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine producing 141 BHP and 250 Nm and a 2.0-litre diesel unit that puts out 168 BHP and 350 Nm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and CVT.

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 10th March 2023 at 17:36.
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 23:29   #51
BHPian

In my opinion, the previous alloys were better.

Did the Hector get RDE compliant engines since the day of launch itself? If not, this was bad planning by MG. The ones who bought the car before the engine update will feel missed out.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 15:31   #52
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Guys ! Have been a long time lurker on the forums, but posting for the first time - since I have specially become a member - to give an ownership review of the MG Hector Plus - 2023 Facelift version - 6 seater Petrol AT. The variant is Sharp Pro.
Thank you for sharing real life experiences with the new Hector. Back in 2021 when we bought Creta, the Hector was one of the stronger contenders, but the camera quality and overall performance of the infotainment (super laggy) were the deciding factors against it. We all loved the space and value for money it offered though.

Coming to the new Hector, (as my nephew is in the market for a new car), I have been hearing mixed reviews about the infotainment and I’m not very convinced with its performance overall. Yes, it has improved from the last version, but it seems to be far from being good and the fact that all functions are embedded within it makes it so much worst. For reference, the infotainment system in Creta/Seltos hardly sees any lag and is just a dream to use! 30 odd seconds, even 15 odd seconds of delay as reported by some users, is just poor!

Your review definitely helps. Maybe couple of issues are more pronounced in your car than other users, but they are there nonetheless. Spending so much on a car and not getting a good infotainment with the basic functionalities sucks. I hope with future software updates, you will have a better experience with your new car.

Good luck. And thank you again for your honest feedback.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 18:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
1. The main screen is painfully slow -
Seems isolated to yours. My 2021 model boots up in 10-15sec even after 1.5 years now. Better to get yours checked.

Quote:
2. AC Recirculation - the ventilation system switches from internal ventilation to external ventilation every time you start the car. Every time !!
I never faced this in my 2021 model. In fact, when we change from windshield to face or vice versa, that's when the system changes external to internal and vice versa.

Quote:
5. Gear Shift delay - When you shift from P to either D or R, or from R to D and vice versa also, you have to wait for about 4-5 seconds and then it shifts into the proper gear. Very irritating!
Seems isolated to yours. I hardly see a 1sec delay. Better get it checked.

Quote:
7. Since the central screen is so big, it is a distraction all the time. Best option is to switch it off by long pressing on the home button, but if you do that, you can not operate the steering wheel volume buttons, or skip songs/change FM stations if the screen is off. You have to again switch on the screen to do anything.
Not sure if this a defect in the new model year. I didn't observe this in mine. Get it checked once.

Quote:
10. Fuel Efficiency is shown only on the app, and not in the car - which I feel is weird
True. In our view, this is their stupid decision to remove instant fuel economy but in OEM view, seems they did it to avoid the low fuel economy issues. Every other OEM in the world which has a MID shows instant fuel economy.

Quote:
11. Rear camera shows a delayed picture - it's not a delay in showing the real situation behind your car.
Didn't observe this. Something wrong with your machine. Can get it checked.

Quote:
12. High speed warning - The high speed warning on 80 and 120 is shown on the driver's screen (behind the steering). It shows the warning constantly non-stop till you come below 80. During that time, you can not see your tyre pressure, cruise control settings, and all other things on that screen.
You need to press OK button and the warning will go away even if speed if >120. However the buzzer won't stop if speed is >120.

Quote:
Extension to this point - suppose you are coasting in D, the speed will gradually reduce. The 80 speed warning does not go away till about 67 - 68.
Not as much as 67-68. I observed that it will be at 78 or so. Same thing when we hit >120 and come down, the buzzer stops when it actually reaches 118 or so. Only MG knows why like this.

Quote:
we took delivery of the Hector Plus on the next day of booking the car (booked on 24th Jan, got delivery on 25th Jan)
Curious - how did you get the car the very next day? Did you take OR did they give a demo car or test drive car or something like that? How many KMs were there on the car when you received? Some of the issues you reported were not much heard of before. Hope you checked VIN and did PDI etc.
darthvader001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:47   #54
BHPian

Dear Owners of MG Hector (2021 & 2023), I have been reading about very long boot up time for the head unit in MG Hector. I request you to try this:

1. Switch on the car (keeping the Head unit switched off)
2. Drive for about 200 - 300 meters
3. Switch on the Head unit

I think if you do so, it will take hardly 4-5 seconds for booting up the Head unit in MG Hector.

My experience with Honda City 2018 head unit is similar, whenever I try to open it immediately after ignition on it takes about 15 to 20 seconds for the boot up. However, when I drive about 300 meters then switch on the Head unit, it takes less than 2 seconds to switch it on.

In case some of you have already tried but boot up time is still close to 35 seconds, then it is genuinely a problem.
Old 19th March 2023, 05:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader001 View Post
Curious - how did you get the car the very next day? Did you take OR did they give a demo car or test drive car or something like that? How many KMs were there on the car when you received? Some of the issues you reported were not much heard of before. Hope you checked VIN and did PDI etc.
Call me a pessimist, but OP hasn't even shared a single picture of the car and this particular thread has been in the news section with 2 different titles now. Seems even the mods are unaware of OP's background.

Personally, this felt more like a hit job (I'll be happy to eat my words) than a review from an owner. How can you not notice almost all of these "issues" during the test drive and probably while checking out the car? Considering the team-bhp review as benchmark and old Hector owners sharing their feedback, i found a lot of these "issues" to be exaggerated.

Last edited by Doonite : 19th March 2023 at 06:07.
Doonite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Call me a pessimist, but OP hasn't even shared a single picture of the car and this particular thread has been in the news section with 2 different titles now. Seems even the mods are unaware of OP's background.

Personally, this felt more like a hit job (I'll be happy to eat my words) than a review from an owner. How can you not notice almost all of these "issues" during the test drive and probably while checking out the car? Considering the team-bhp review as benchmark and old Hector owners sharing their feedback, i found a lot of these "issues" to be exaggerated.
Agreed! Further the human behaviour to highlight and talk more about negative stuff has led to same post getting posted as news article twice. I own new Hector Savvy Pro variant. In my experience the issues raised are pointless and more of a hate speech. Mods should investigate it before sharing again as new News article.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 13:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey ! Been running very busy. Will click and upload in 1-2 days

Cheers!
Hey still waiting for the pics. Hope you have it to share with us. Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post

old Hector owners sharing their feedback, i found a lot of these "issues" to be exaggerated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Mods should investigate it before sharing again as new News article.
Agreed. I am still waiting for the pics from OP.
Old 21st March 2023, 07:25   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Hey still waiting for the pics. Hope you have it to share with us. Thanks !

Agreed. I am still waiting for the pics from OP.
Hi guys ! I completely agree with the sceptical approach to my post, I really do. Just give me some more days to get back to you with pics/videos detailing the issues. Running very busy with work, and daily I reach home at night, by which time it is not possible to click in the dark. Even Sundays !
Old 21st March 2023, 21:50   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Your review definitely helps. Maybe couple of issues are more pronounced in your car than other users, but they are there nonetheless. Spending so much on a car and not getting a good infotainment with the basic functionalities sucks. I hope with future software updates, you will have a better experience with your new car.
I would strongly suggest to take a more informed decision rather than rely on just one review from a user who a lot of us feel is either isolated or fraudulently planted. In case it's the former then the OP has been already advised to contact MG to rectify them.

One thing I am sure most of us would agree is MG's quality service experience compared to most other car manufacturers and if highlighted properly it would be dealt with at the earliest.
Also, if you scout the teambhp threads, I am sure you would find few isolated cases of Hyundai Creta (or for that matter most car brand) owners facing major issues with their cars within a few days of delivery, but that doesn't really become the benchmark - does it?

After using the car for over a month and 1500 kms I can say that the new gen Hector is a vastly improved version than it's former self (of which I wasn't a big fan to be really honest) and the kind of build-quality/feel I get is something equivalent to cars priced 1.5 - 2 times above.

I hope you don't make a choice on just this one post and consider other opinions.. and also wish your nephew the best in whatever car is finally selected!!
UsualSuspect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 23:52   #60
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I would strongly suggest to take a more informed decision rather than rely on just one review from a user who a lot of us feel is either isolated or fraudulently planted. In case it's the former then the OP has been already advised to contact MG to rectify them.

One thing I am sure most of us would agree is MG's quality service experience compared to most other car manufacturers and if highlighted properly it would be dealt with at the earliest.
Also, if you scout the teambhp threads, I am sure you would find few isolated cases of Hyundai Creta (or for that matter most car brand) owners facing major issues with their cars within a few days of delivery, but that doesn't really become the benchmark - does it?

After using the car for over a month and 1500 kms I can say that the new gen Hector is a vastly improved version than it's former self (of which I wasn't a big fan to be really honest) and the kind of build-quality/feel I get is something equivalent to cars priced 1.5 - 2 times above.

I hope you don't make a choice on just this one post and consider other opinions.. and also wish your nephew the best in whatever car is finally selected!!
Thank you for the suggestion, but I did make it clear that it’s based on “mixed reviews”, and not just from one single post.

There is no denying that the infotainment has issues, and I’m not going to recommend it. I don’t recommend Creta either for its poor safety ratings. It’s this simple for me
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks