Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 16:28   #406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
I Booked the new RWD Thar Petrol AT last week (Kerala) where they initially told me the delivery will take 1 month. But I just got a call today telling me that one vehicle has been allotted to me and I can take the delivery in 2 days.

I would like to know some suggestions from fellow Bhpians here regarding the initial basic mods I should go for once I take the delivery. I am not planning for any major mods as of now.

Opted for the AWD petrol AT as it will be used as a second car hence the usage will be very less. In fact, I was wanting to Book a Jimny initially but I felt it was overpriced for what it was offering and also underpowered in comparison with the Thar's 2-litre petrol turbo, No offence to any Jimny owners.
After test-driving both I ended up with Thar which made more sense to my usage. Hope I took the right decision.
Congratulations on the new Thar. I have booked RWD petrol AT though, and still waiting for delivery. You can start with arm rests, rear and front camera as minimum and later add more accessories like upgraded headlights/bulbs, ambient lightening, front grille etc. I had also booked Jimny in Feb, waited for few months and cancelled it after seeing Jimny in real. You have made a perfect decision.
jimmzbond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 19:05   #407
Senior - BHPian

I need some guidance on choosing a Tyre upgrade on my wannabe Thar LX Petrol or Diesel. I have gone through multiple posts and got a lot more confused as to which one to choose. I definitely wanted to keep budget in control since this is fourth car of my garage and it will be more on leash than others.

Below are key drivers for making a more informed decision:

1. Tyre Upgrade - 275 or 285 (265 is not considered since it is already closer to 255 tread)
2. Yokohama or Bridgestone which one is better.
3. Any opinion and experience on Kenda tires. I believe it is also a Taiwanese tire company like Maxxis.

Key aspect: I don't want to compromise on the steering and car suspensions. It will be largely driven on asphalt.

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 22nd August 2023 at 19:06.
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:04   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I need some guidance on choosing a Tyre upgrade on
1. Tyre Upgrade - 275 or 285 (265 is not considered since it is already closer to 255 tread)
Key aspect: I don't want to compromise on the steering and car suspensions. It will be largely driven on asphalt.
Much has been written about this. As a Thar owner I will not recommend oversized tyres like 285’s and 275’s because they will rub. Fact is 265/60/18 is the right upsize. I suggest Michelin LTX - they will be super on highways and asphalt if thats your primary use. They are sensible for people who use their Thars as tourers. You can consider Conti’s and Yoko Geolandars and Vredesteins and Apterras too but I think LTX trails will suit your needs best. All of these will cost approx 18-20K per tyre.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img_4598.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img_4600.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img_4601.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 22:38   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Much has been written about this. As a Thar owner I will not recommend oversized tyres like 285’s and 275’s because they will rub. Fact is 265/60/18 is the right upsize. I suggest Michelin LTX - they will be super on highways and asphalt if thats your primary use. They are sensible for people who use their Thars as tourers. You can consider Conti’s and Yoko Geolandars and Vredesteins and Apterras too but I think LTX trails will suit your needs best. All of these will cost approx 18-20K per tyre.
Thanks. I did analysed the tyre ratio with tiresize.com/calculator and found that 275/60/18 is actually similar specs as (+1 revs) to 255/65/18 and 285/60/18 has -9 revs. attaching the screenshots.
Assuming this to be correct, Can I go with a 285/60/18 HT tyre from Kenda. Another option is Yokohama Geolander who has 275/60/18. Although the price difference between Kenda and Yokohama are poles apart.
For me, looks are important along with practically hence looking to get best of both worlds
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-screenshot-20230822-10.32.21-pm.png  

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-screenshot-20230822-10.32.34-pm.png  

ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 05:10   #410
Senior - BHPian

Friends,
After an unwanted wait for 8 months, I finally got confirmation of my Thar D MT RWD HT in aquamarine coat. It is just a casual booking on the day of launch Jan 9th, 2023, but i never knew that the Mahindra dealership at Lucknow will care less to at-least inform me. It is relentless to say if a showroom did not care informing me, it is imperative how can they offer me one.
Long story short, it was only after intervention of Mahindra ASM that the vehicle could finally be made available.
Now will come a long list of modifications to follow. I will keep adding content here and keep you all updated.

Few Key list:

1. Mahindra fender and bumper arches
2. Rear camera
3. Mahindra Front and Rear arm rest
3. Mud flap
4. Radiator protector
5. Wrangler front grill
6. Michelin steering cover

In this entire 8 months of time my love from Aquamarine coat moved to Everest white but I had no choice but to take what I ordered. Another want is to have a convertible top instead of hard top.
I am looking for advice and any inputs as how to procure one. I am in touch with Mahindra dealership for the CT as part unit.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 12:27   #411
BHPian

Hi Guys, i guess the Thar bug is biting me too!
Circa 2022 august when i just happened to drive an old friends old Scorpio. I cant put my finger on it, but something in its DNA (is it the RWD over steer ?) kind of gave me a kind of similar drive feeling to my BMW 320D.
In feb 2023 exchanged my Duster for a preowned 2016 Scorpio AT S10 which i used for 5 months before sending it to my daughter for her use.

Now we all know how good the Duster rides, so i was a lot confused when 4-5 hour long rural drives in the Scorpio left me pleasantly feeling much more fatigue free as compared to both my E90 as well the Duster.

Well i thought it was only me, but a conversation with my daughter yesterday where she stated that a 700km drive near Ooty in the Scorpio also was much more comfortable as compared to their other car.

Now i have only taken two short test drives of the Thar and found it less bouncier and indeed less sway prone as compared to the Scorpio., but i am not sure if it will handle the eway better. Note - I preferred the Scorpio over the Duster for my Eway drives too.

Guys what are your views? I think i am 'OFF' FWD cars & suvs for life. I want an Automatic RWD SUV, but my options are limited. Also will the Scorpio be better on the Eway as compared to a short wheel base Thar ?

Last edited by rxpaul : 1st September 2023 at 12:30.
Old 1st September 2023, 16:41   #412
Senior - BHPian

Hi all
I am happy to share that I have taken delivery of my Thar D MT RWD Aquamarine. This is my brush with second Thar (2.5 years of previous Thar CRDE ownership and then sold). I must say they are world apart and the only similarity could be Thar logo.
Accessories I got fitted with my experience and recommendation:

1. Mahindra fender and bumper arches - They give a butch look to the Thar
2. Mahindra Rear camera - It is must to have
3. Mahindra Front and Rear arm rest - The original Mahindra Front and rear arm rest are way superior in quality compared to all aftermarket products.
3. Mahindra Mud flap - Pretty standard
4. Mahindra Radiator protector - Quality and built is good
5. Tyre upgrade - I got MRF exchanged for Yokohama Geolandar AT 275/60/18. I thought it is better to go upto 2 size up from existing 255/65/18 and also the specs were matching at tiresizecalculator.com. This size only comes with Yokohama and that too in a very restricted lot. I had to order them in advance.
6. Headlamp - Changed Bulbs to Philips LED H4 white light. They are decent in throw and brighter than existing lights.
7. Mahindra Foot mat - I ordered Pharaoh matt based on few feedback but found them low in quality. I bought Mahindra original Rubber matt and they also fit well to the buttons given on the front floor.
6. Michelin steering cover - Ordered them from Amazon and yet to get it done
7. Garware Ice cool - I also bought Garware Icecool windshield film. These are must to have in all my vehicles and have 70% + visibility.

8. Mahindra Convertible Top - This is top of my list when I bought this HT model. the only reason I bought RWD model is because I never went off road and engaged 4X4 in my previous Thar. Now, I am in touch with an after market shop who has a spare CT.
I am looking for any suggestion or experience of any fellow bhpian with HT to CT or CT to HT.
ruchirtnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 15:55   #413
Senior - BHPian

Hi Thar Lovers,
I am uploading snap of my Thar. All the major modifications are completed except the conversion to soft top. I also got the paint job done with Glasurit. This is the same paint i used on my Audi (this is one of standard paints for Audi and BMW).
All the chrome removed/ repainted with matt black. Also the alloys and front grill are done in matt.

One more observation, I did not like the quality of after market front grill and hence got the stock grill painted in matt black.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-whatsapp-image-20230905-15.51.04.jpeg  

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 5th September 2023 at 15:57.
ruchirtnt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 06:08   #414
BHPian

Hi
I had to drive to Bengaluru for family reasons yesterday. I and my 80 year old mom started from Erode at 3:00 am. We reached Thindlu near Vidyaranyapura at 7:30.
After duly completing our family duties and a lunch, we started back to Erode at 3:00 pm. Instead of taking the Nice road, I took the ORR and got jammed by traffic. We reached Silk Board at 4:30.One and a half hours of crawl but it was not very difficult.
After a coffee, Idli break in Murugan Idli, Krishnagiri, we reached Erode at 9:00 pm. Again there was decent traffic, but, we did decent time.I did the tankful on arrival, and was pleasantly surprised to see an average of 17.9 over 608 kms.
We had no aches and i owe it to the Avo Suspension which gives an almost sedan like drive quality.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img20230524wa0015.jpg  

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 14th September 2023 at 06:31. Reason: Adding content
rajeevsulu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 20:45   #415
BHPian

I got the delivery of my RWD Petrol AT last week.

My experience with the Mahindra was good so far and I got a good discount as I knew some people connected to Mahindra and
I was treated as a special customer and hence got the delivery within a week with a Good discount.

I have driven some 500 km all in the city till now and am happy with it in all sorts.
As this will be my 3rd car I could live with some of the cons of it.
Like somebody here told buying a Thar is more of a decision from the heart.

If anyone here is looking to buy the Petrol RWD I would say do negotiate hard with them for a good discount, even delivery time also you can expedite
for the petrol more than the Diesel RWD. I Got discounts on some of the Accessories as well.
I did test drive the 1.5 manual but I felt the gear throws were too long for my comfort.
The 6-speed torque converter mated with the 2.0 turbocharged engine's Power delivery is very linear and very smooth and perfect for city drives.
Planning for a Long Drive next week, will post the experience of the highway drive after it.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 14th September 2023 at 20:55.
lancer_maniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 15:29   #416
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Last weekend I completed a 950 km return journey from Delhi to Amritsar.
The car ended up with the mileage figures of 20.7 km/l in my Diesel manual.

The good bits during the drive was that overtaking was very crisp. It never felt that it lacked of any power.

Also the gear shift was reduced at low speeds as the car can easily move on in the 6th gear from the speed of 50. Therefore the down gear shift was very minimal.

Overall a wonderful first highway experience.
uneet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:15   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
I got the delivery of my RWD Petrol AT last week.
Congrats! What kind of discount did you get on the Road price of the car? Who was the dealer?

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd September 2023 at 13:35. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full long post
Old 25th September 2023, 07:56   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Hi Thar Lovers,
I am uploading snap of my Thar. All the major modifications are completed except the conversion to soft top. I also got the paint job done with Glasurit. This is the same paint i used on my Audi (this is one of standard paints for Audi and BMW).
All the chrome removed/ repainted with matt black. Also the alloys and front grill are done in matt.

One more observation, I did not like the quality of after market front grill and hence got the stock grill painted in matt black.
These tyres look amazing on your beast. How's the performance on them? How much did you pay for them? Since you had to order them ahead what was the waiting period or it was readily available? In fact very few tyres have the RWL (raised white lettering)... just trying to figure these out in Bangalore. Appreciate your inputs.
Old 26th September 2023, 15:42   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbramha View Post
These tyres look amazing on your beast. How's the performance on them? How much did you pay for them? Since you had to order them ahead what was the waiting period or it was readily available? In fact very few tyres have the RWL (raised white lettering)... just trying to figure these out in Bangalore. Appreciate your inputs.
Hi Buddy
My cents:
Price - Each tyre costs at 18500. It also depends upon the deal you can crack.
Time Period - It took them around 10 days. Although 276/60/18 at Yokohama are short in stock since this is the only company which produces these specs.
Special Feature - The RWL is nothing but a paint job done outside, standard tyres does not come with RWL.
ruchirtnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 22:38   #420
BHPian

Happy to share that I got my Thar RWD LX D MT (Galaxy Grey) few days back this month, fortunate to get it before the price hike announcement that happened today (27.09.2023) of around 43,500 INR ex showroom.

Booking was done way back in Jan. 2023 and delivery date was of April 2024

Contradictory to the usual coercion of getting mandatory accessories that is being pushed on customers by the dealers, I bought absolutely no accessories, got the insurance done from my end at a substantial difference from the dealer quoted (inflated) price and only got the rear camera installed at will from them.

Have driven her for around 700 Kms and it’s an absolute joy to drive the vehicle.

Got an average of around 20 Kmpl at a recent trip of 300 Kms and getting around 16-17 Kmpl in city driving.

Have kept it mostly stock till now to avoid any warranty issues later except for the installation of essential things like Thar specific black odourless mats, Scuff plates, Lumax Led Lights (in stock headlamps and fog lamps), centre and rear arm rests and a faux leather steering cover.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks