Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2024, 13:32   #3226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thead View Post
So I finally took the plunge and booked a zx(o) yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the indicative delivery date is in November of this year. This came on the booking form that comes from Toyota via email. Now, I am not sure how accurate is the date but perhaps some fellow BHPians can validate the date on their forms with the actual delivery date.
There is a news item today regarding hycross bookings being reopened for the higher end trims. Toyota has sorted out the supply chain issues and quicker deliveries are possible.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 00:52   #3227
Senior - BHPian

Completed 2nd (10k km) service yesterday. Since I have taken AMC package, engine oil, oil-filter, gasket and windscreen washer fluid cost was covered under that and labor is free of cost anyway until 3rd service. They charged me only for alignment and balancing (~2.3k) and another 200 for PUC. The last one year's experience mirrors what many people have been sharing. A few specific points that I wanted to mention are:

1. Did anyone face any issues with TPMS (Toyota mentions it as TPWS or something like that in the manual)? For me, it worked fine during initial few months. Then one day I saw a warning saying this system is malfunctioning and no pressure numbers were shown. Since I wasn't sure about it's severity and I was on a long drive, I asked the SA. He just asked me to continue with the journey ignoring it and visit service center upon return. A friend of mine told me that it is a common issue which happens due to water accumulation while washing. When I did 1st service (at a different center), folks there too said that such issues with TPMS are very common across brands. Based on these feedbacks I thought that bulletproof Toyota quality/reliability may not be of any use in this case and/or it is another case of cutting corners for this car. I have been facing this warning once in a while, but for the rest of the time (about 70-80%) it has worked fine. During the last few moths, the frequency of the problem increased so much so that it now worked only 10% of the time! This time I asked them to look into it and claim warranty if necessary. However, they found that the sensor has broken apart from the valve inside tire. I asked them to remove it to be sure of the root causing and I think it may possibly cause damage to inner lining of the tire. They said that warranty won't cover it because it is a physical damage, and the cost of 1 sensor is whopping 6k+28% GST (so damage of roughly 8-10k ) Reminds me of Baleno parts (sedan) which used to cost double on an average as compared to other models. Most likely it is a consequence of messing with alloys/tires (I have changed stock wheels and tires in an attempt to tilt ride-handling balance more towards comfort). I don't see any reason why this sensor should break just like that during normal usage, unless there was some negligence in the process of moving them from stock wheels to new ones. Anyway, I have to bear the expense now and get it fixed. By the way, it is not readily available in their stock, they will procure it upon order.

2. Issue of central console edge obstructing left knee of driver (or right knee of front passenger) is quite a serious problem in my opinion. It not only causes discomfort to knee or surrounding area due sharp edge, but also limits knee room in otherwise spacious and comfortable car. I really wish they should have made the central console much smaller and curved with smooth surface facing knee/leg. Door panel area around window switches also creates a similar problem, though to a much smaller extent and hence can be ignored. Pulling the seat a bit backward makes it a bit less troublesome.

3. Auto mode of 360 degree view is so convenient, though video quality and indicator based automatic blind views (like in Tata/Hyundai cars) are absent. There is one issue with auto mode though- once active, you can not see navigation information (or anything else for that matter). To cancel camera and to see the phone screen, we have to either use a button on multimedia unit or touch screen. I wish return/exit button on steering could be usable for this (it is not). However, found a workaround accidentally- phone button can be used to cancel camera. It is actually meant to take you to phone screen, but with carplay/android auto, it can indirectly serve the purpose You can't use it while on call though, because it will end up disconnecting it. Camera modes are quite limited, adaptive guidelines work very well.

4. Auto headlights work fine, you don't really have to touch the switch most of the times. Auto high beam is useless though, it gets triggered by any light source, so it is helpful only in dark areas and with sparse traffic on roads. They should have given more powerful projector LEDs and proper yellow foglamps with sufficient brightness.

5. Rain sensing wipers are missed, assuming they would work as smoothly as auto headlamp on/off. Just curious, can it be retro-fitted by any chance? Nice thing is that manual control has provision for both adjustable intermittent as well as single wipe (mist) modes.

6. I was a bit shocked to hear about drive shaft issues that people have reported, in view of high expectation from Toyota. When I asked SA, he told that if you notice any unexpected sound while turning steering, then it may be applicable and that they will fix it. I have not noticed such noise so far, but I do notice that it breaks suddenly at times in stop and go traffic while using auto hold feature (which is a boon in city like Bangalore!). I guess may be due to a kind of race between whether to move the vehicle ahead or to stop, which arises under such situations. He said that it is normal and shouldn't be a problem (and my gut feeling tends to agree with him). I wish there were multiple modes to engage auto hold function, like permanently on, one time, or for a short period (like a minute or 5-mins) after which it should disengage on it's own. Also an option of a steering mounted button to release brake and resuming driving. They should have integrated the display icon that shows whether it is enabled or not and whether it is currently holding the brake. They are placed at two different corner's of the display!

7. ADAS features work well. Initially I was disappointed by absence of automatic emergency braking. But realized later that for Indian condition, using it in warning only mode (which they have forced in India) is a better option for obvious reasons. Blind spot detection, collision warning, rear cross traffic alert, front/rear sensors and automatic camera based on that are so useful, definitely enhance overall safety and convenience. Lane assist and adaptive cruise control are useful only on highways. Even on highways, their usage gets limited due to chaotic road , traffic conditions and people's driving sense in general (lack thereof). Acceleration and braking is pretty harsh though, even with lowest settings. Tuning could have been better to make it more useful practically.

Last edited by santosh.s : 5th August 2024 at 01:03.
santosh.s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 13:02   #3228

Hello All, wanted to understand some details of booking from wheelsonweb platform of Toyota. Is there anyone here who has done the booking for Innova Hycross via this platform? if yes,
- what would be the process ?
- Should I contact the showroom that i've selected or would the S.A from the showroom contact me ? and would this be after allocation of the vehicle?
- How does this waiting time serial number run with the waiting serial number of the bookings done at the showroom directly?
- Also, are the showrooms happy to support the customers coming from wheelsonweb platform or would they prefer customers making a booking directly at the showroom?

thanks in advance.
Old 5th August 2024, 16:18   #3229

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyaa View Post
Hello All, wanted to understand some details of booking from wheelsonweb platform of Toyota. Is there anyone here who has done the booking for Innova Hycross via this platform? if yes,
- what would be the process ?
- Should I contact the showroom that i've selected or would the S.A from the showroom contact me ? and would this be after allocation of the vehicle?
- How does this waiting time serial number run with the waiting serial number of the bookings done at the showroom directly?
- Also, are the showrooms happy to support the customers coming from wheelsonweb platform or would they prefer customers making a booking directly at the showroom?

thanks in advance.
Hi Chaitanyaa, I have booked through the website.
When you start booking on the Toyota Bharat Web site from the drop down menu you will be asked to Select the Dealership in your area (if there are multiple dealerships)

After completing the payment you will be contacted by the Dealership in 24-48 hours and a Sales Advisor will be assigned to your booking who will then answer all your queries(waiting period etc.)

I think it will not make any difference if you book directly or online.
Old 5th August 2024, 18:22   #3230
BHPian

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_3810.jpeg

Yesterday did a round trip of about 200 km after quite some time in the Hycross what a refreshing drive it was.
After more than 1 year of living/driving the Hycross my biggest takeaway about Hycross is the way it drives, The Driver's seat is the best place to be in the Hycross.

Precise, direct and communicative Steering, composed handling at all speeds, instant pull from the Engine/Hybrid motor along with excellent visibility and high seating position, all these combined give you confidence like no other.
While buying the Hycross I would have never thought it would be such a fantastic car to drive and also driven.
manofinfinity is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 22:11   #3231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
Precise, direct and communicative Steering
Yes, love the way it feels light at low speeds and self-centers with a gentle pull back! Makes city and low speed driving a breeze. Not sure whether this is typical of any electronic power steering? (I doubt given how infamous EPS were in initial days from what I remember, for lack of feedback). In this car it weighs up nicely at high speeds.
santosh.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 23:41   #3232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
Attachment 2637039

Yesterday did a round trip of about 200 km after quite some time in the Hycross what a refreshing drive it was.
After more than 1 year of living/driving the Hycross my biggest takeaway about Hycross is the way it drives, The Driver's seat is the best place to be in the Hycross.

Precise, direct and communicative Steering, composed handling at all speeds, instant pull from the Engine/Hybrid motor along with excellent visibility and high seating position, all these combined give you confidence like no other.
While buying the Hycross I would have never thought it would be such a fantastic car to drive and also driven.

Yep, it’s crazy how far the humble Innova has come from a utilitarian people mover to being loaded with features and becoming surprisingly fun to drive. Just wish they provided the same ‘fake’ gearshifts in the hybrid as they did with the CVT in the petrol. It sounds so much better when you arent holding a steady high rpm when accelerating hard!
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 09:24   #3233
Senior - BHPian

Though I have never really used it, I thought the sport (S mode) that lets you put it into D1, D2… etc. is a kind of thing you are referring to by fake great shifts. And I believe those modes can be controlled using paddle shifters too. Personally, I would want them to use paddle shifters to provide brake regen levels like Tata EVs, and leave S mode alone for the other function (or the other way around). I have used the sport drive mode which takes “rubber band “ feeling out of this wonderful e-cvt and makes it feel more like an EV or a preppy petrol automatic. But once you realise and get used to the fact that you can achieve somewhat similar response just by pressing the accelerator hard, the need to use that mode diminishes as well.
Old 8th August 2024, 10:48   #3234
BHPian

Any Bangalore folks here who have got the Hycross GX(O) ?
Please share your feedback. I was told I should be getting mine this month, but I haven't heard back from the dealer yet.
Old 8th August 2024, 10:57   #3235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
There is a news item today regarding hycross bookings being reopened for the higher end trims. Toyota has sorted out the supply chain issues and quicker deliveries are possible.
The dealers are not quite in sync with Toyota. Speaking to a couple of dealers, both of them said a realistic time frame for delivery continues to be upward of a year as that is what Toyota is telling them.
Old 8th August 2024, 12:14   #3236

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandish77 View Post
Hi Chaitanyaa, I have booked through the website.
When you start booking on the Toyota Bharat Web site from the drop down menu you will be asked to Select the Dealership in your area (if there are multiple dealerships)

After completing the payment you will be contacted by the Dealership in 24-48 hours and a Sales Advisor will be assigned to your booking who will then answer all your queries(waiting period etc.)

I think it will not make any difference if you book directly or online.
Thank you for the quick feedback! I am yet to be contacted by the SA/Showroom. Yes, I got a call, from someone at the Showroom and told me that they would create a Whatsapp group/message and all the details would be shared there - they did not really have time to answer the current wait time as well! And its been a week now with no further update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
Any Bangalore folks here who have got the Hycross GX(O) ?
Please share your feedback. I was told I should be getting mine this month, but I haven't heard back from the dealer yet.
When you say that "you were told", was this the SA at the showroom who mentioned it? Do they give like a serial number of your wait list?
chaitanyaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 12:26   #3237
BHPian

Quote:
When you say that "you were told", was this the SA at the showroom who mentioned it? Do they give like a serial number of your wait list?
Nothing, just words, and very high quality “you will get it 100% saar” commitment.
RROD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 13:08   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
When you say that "You were told", was this from the SA at the showroom?
Yes indeed. And these are both that are apart from the one I booked with. So in effect 3 dealers have confirmed this.
Old 8th August 2024, 13:14   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the quick feedback! I am yet to be contacted by the SA/Showroom. Yes, I got a call, from someone at the Showroom and told me that they would create a Whatsapp group/message and all the details would be shared there - they did not really have time to answer the current wait time as well! And its been a week now with no further update!

Here is how it works: You book online, money goes to Toyota. Next day, these details are shared with the dealer who is required to input these details into an online booking form that captures the details of the car along with your demographics. Only when this form is completed (you receive an otp to confirm the the form submission) is your booking put in a wait list. This is where the dealers then play around - they may have received the intimation from Toyota but they deliberately hold on to putting them on the booking order form. One of my relatives booking was actually captured on the form 3 months after the initial token payment. So you must pressurise the dealer to provide an official confirmation of your booking that comes via email from Toyota. Until then, there is no real booking
Thead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 16:00   #3240
BHPian

Last week I tried to mount pressure on SA that I may drift towards Alcazar FL if there is no information on my April VX booking. (In April, I did got OTP during dealership booking process and Mar 25 is the ETD put on booking form) I also asked him if Zx/Zxo booking are opening again, why Vx is not getting delivered. Also questioned my waiting list no and which month bookings are honored now.

He didn't have any convincing answers. Kept on parroting that Toyota will allot car for me when it is due. However, promised me that he will escalate internally.

A day later, he called and announced that vehicle is allotted. Meanwhile, I got a message in WA group that the car is allotted and I should secure it within 4 days.

Upon visiting dealership, SA told me to make complete payment so that this August manufactured vehicle will be allotted to me. When asked about engine no and chassis no, he said same will be informed once it is loaded at TKML factory in end August. He continuously assured me that dealership will not cheat on me but they have to make invoice in August month only. (even without vehicle ) When I argued that I will not pay a penny before seeing (PDI) vehicle, he reduced the demand to pay at least the down payment. When I informed that I have already paid booking amount, SA told me that's how it works in Toyota. He also stated that "Being a new purchaser of Toyota vehicle, I may be not aware of this"

Sensing this unconventional method for getting a car, I refused the deal. I am sure once I agreed to the initial deal, there will be more demands from them for accessories etc etc.

After reading earlier posts of any compliant to Toyota comes back to the dealer only, I didn't push it to Toyota.

Till the booking system is made transparent, I don't think the situation will improve. Who knows, my booking is already fulfilled by Toyota and the dealer has diverted my vehicle to somebody.

After this, I am seriously considering Alcazar which I did spot half revealed test mule just last week at Chennai. May be take a decision after Sep 9th.
krrisdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks