Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2024, 09:29   #3166

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...ility-9447160/

As per this IE report, so far UP, Chandigarh and Tamilnadu governments have subsidized Strong Hybrid vehicles by waiving off Registration fee etc etc.

Is this the effect of Toyota's lobbying with Mr. Nitin for GST reduction but rewarded differently or Toyota is also reaching out to States for favors?

Anyone privilege enough to know which other states are likely to follow?
krrisdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 20:16   #3167

There is an expectation of the upcoming budget to reduce GST on hybrids. Apart from that it is also being speculated that neighbouring states of UP such as Punjab, Haryana and Delhi are likely to reduce registration fees if GST relief does not come in.
Now a question, can I register a temporary number hybrid car in UP to gain this benefit?
Old 14th July 2024, 19:20   #3168
BHPian

Hello

I am in a dilema currenlty...Hope to hear expert opinions from gurus here..

I own a 2016 Innova crysta 2.8z done already >90K KM.. It is running perfectly well like it did the day I purchased it - touch wood :-). Might I say, I am very happy with it- it solves all my needs with my kids and wifey not willing to let it go due to its "exceptional" highwary cruisability. I do have occanisanol need for 6 seats and Crysta fits that bill perfectly.

Here is the twist now-- I stay in Tier-1 metro and since Crysta is now 8 yrs old I fear if the new Govt. will imply all BSiV diesels hard to own post 10 yr timeline. Currently I can get a good deal on this (especially since 2.8Z is niche now), I am not sure about it in next 2 years.

Since my family prefers ride quality and comfort over performance- I looked at Hycross and it fits the bill perfectly. Being a hybrid-I don't mind the dent it puts in to the wallet on my long drives. However, I feat that the driver in me is going to revolt since the engine/gearbox may be inferior to the Crysta 2.8Z.

So I am in a dilema- should I retain my ride till I can no longer do so- or take a decision from head and look for hybrid alternative?

Thanks in advance.
smk
Old 14th July 2024, 20:35   #3169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Hello

I am in a dilema currenlty...Hope to hear expert opinions from gurus here..

I own a 2016 Innova crysta 2.8z done already >90K KM.. It is running perfectly well like it did the day I purchased it - touch wood :-). Might I say, I am very happy with it- it solves all my needs with my kids and wifey not willing to let it go due to its "exceptional" highwary cruisability. I do have occanisanol need for 6 seats and Crysta fits that bill perfectly.

Here is the twist now-- I stay in Tier-1 metro and since Crysta is now 8 yrs old I fear if the new Govt. will imply all BSiV diesels hard to own post 10 yr timeline. Currently I can get a good deal on this (especially since 2.8Z is niche now), I am not sure about it in next 2 years.

Since my family prefers ride quality and comfort over performance- I looked at Hycross and it fits the bill perfectly. Being a hybrid-I don't mind the dent it puts in to the wallet on my long drives. However, I feat that the driver in me is going to revolt since the engine/gearbox may be inferior to the Crysta 2.8Z.

So I am in a dilema- should I retain my ride till I can no longer do so- or take a decision from head and look for hybrid alternative?

Thanks in advance.
smk
Your location is given as Bangalore, it's not a tier 1 metro and currently no plans exist to restrict cars on the road. The crysta 2.8 is a great car and the likes of which they don't make any more, the hycross hybrid is good in town, the highway economy is nothing great, the reliability with ethanol blending is still unknown. Your car is good for another 100k kms without a sweat.

Don't sell this car, toyota themselves know that the hycross can't sell on its merits, that's why they discontinued the automatic crysta to force customers to the hycross as automatics have gained popularity. You'll lose money if the 10 year rule comes, but, selling a perfectly serviceable car to protect against a non existent rule is simply wasting money. Diesel is still the best choice for large vehicles, it's the relentless climate hoax propaganda that's getting people to avoid it.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 21:01   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Hello

Thanks in advance.
smk
You are comparing the wrong things, you would be surprised at how much better the performance is over the Crysta, even the 2.8L. The hybrid variant is the fastest 7/8 seater you can get below 50L onroad, unless you get some heavy discounts on the Skoda Kodiaq

At first the engine will feel disconnected from the car, as the noise of the engine and the acceleration won't seem to have any correlation. You can have the engine revving up to charge the battery while you are not accelerating. Depending on battery charge, you can either have the engine revving up and getting loud while you are accelerating hard or staying somewhat silent. If you are not used to driving hybrids, this noise of steady high rpm will feel like the car is struggling. But then the 120 kmph chime comes on and you realise you are now doing ridiculous speeds and you back off.

Main thing I dislike about my Hycross is the questionable durability of the interior plastics. It's just been 1 year and I already have horrible squeaking noises from the center armrest and steering buttons.
Old 14th July 2024, 22:48   #3171
Distinguished - BHPian

The armrest on the left captain seat, isn’t locking at the ideal position it should in my car. Meaning as soon as anyone puts some weight on it, the armrest drops to the lowest point and isn’t locking in the position parallel to the seat base.

The car went in for its 1 month / 1000km inspection, which was due today and the SA said the issue has been fixed. Since I’m not in town, my father sat and checked it out, but the issue is still there.

Has anyone else faced this issue ?
Old 15th July 2024, 09:39   #3172

Hello folks ,
This is my first post on the forum …

My observations after 5-6months / 30000 kms and noise from drive shafts .

I received my car exactly one year after booking . I booked the car even without seeing it or taking a test drive .

I bought this car for my father mostly chauffeur driven . Upgraded to this one after using the previous Innova for 3 Lakh kms ( this is my 3rd Innova ) My father was more inclined towards the crysta but I insisted on the hycross as the crysta does not have an automatic anymore and the milage of the hycross is good .

Bought this almost 6 months back and did about 30k kms plus both chauffeur driven and self drive .

Cons :
Seats -seats are Extremely hard and small , compared to the crysta or any other car for that matter . Bottom starts hurting .

Suspension : i feel the suspension is hard , you can even feel the smallest potholes . The car has to be fully loaded for the suspension to feel comfortable .

As mentioned by everyone Horrible camera , extremely poor plastics for a 40 Lakhs car .

Headlights : very poor lighting , can’t do night journeys for sure .

Engine / Motor : the engine struggles or you can say it pleads not to push it .i know it’s a MUV and I can’t expect performance but a little at least ..

Gearbox and transmission : The rubber band effect is too evident .

Brakes : I feel the brakes are not up to the mark .

I personally enjoyed driving the crysta , hycross is not fun on the highways , but comfortable in the city .

Pros :

Excellent Milage : gives me 16-18 if iam driving it within 100 KMPH speed . The milage drops drastically if you push it a little .

Drivers seating position : Gives you a boss view .

Drive : Easy to drive , feels like a small
Car , hardly any Body roll .

Space : very good legroom and the cabin feels airy .

Looks : The car looks good from outside .

There is no other car in this price bracket with this kind of milage and Toyota badging , it’s a no choice situation , so went ahead with the Hycross zx(o)

I recently noticed some noise coming from the drive shafts, so I took my car to the service center. The service advisor confirmed that the sound was due to faulty drive shafts, which he promised to replace. I believe the parts need to be imported. When I asked if I was the only one experiencing this issue, he mentioned that others are also waiting for the same part. It's now been a month, and I'm still waiting! Is anyone else facing the drive shaft issue ??

Thank you

Last edited by Aditya : 15th July 2024 at 18:03. Reason: Spelling errors
reddysaab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 09:52   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Any idea how the side step is installed?
I don't remember.

But you should have many options now with the dealer and in the aftermarket. I see many cars with side steps installed.
Old 15th July 2024, 10:16   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddysaab View Post

I recently noticed some noise coming from the drive shafts, so I took my car to the service center. The service advisor confirmed that the sound was due to faulty drive shafts, which he promised to replace. I believe the parts need to be imported. When I asked if I was the only one experiencing this issue, he mentioned that others are also waiting for the same part. It's now been a month, and I'm still waiting! Is anyone else facing the drive shaft issue ??

Thank you
It’s weird hearing drive shaft issues on Hycross a new Toyota, someone else also mentioned the same problem earlier, If the number increases Toyota should issue a general recall.
Is it the newer lot which are facing these problems?
Is anyone who got their Hycross before May 2023 facing such issues as this is when the 3rd shift started?
Old 15th July 2024, 14:28   #3175
BHPian

Hello,

Have other Hycross users ever seen their IRVM wobble when going over bumps/rough roads? The IRVM on my Feb 2024 ZX (o) vibrates/wobbles quite noticeably. While it doesn’t hinder the driving experience, it is very irritating. Haven’t noticed this on any of my other cars.
Old 15th July 2024, 14:53   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks ,
This is my first post on the forum …

noise from drive shafts .

Thank you
I have been facing this issue after our car had met with an accident, where we had to replace the front LHS suspension.

Whenever I steer the car to right, I get tak-tak kinda sound, which is bit irritating to say the least. Even my dad and chauffeur felt the same while steering the car to the left.

To get this issue rectified, I went to the ASC, Mody Toyota, where we got the accidental repairs done, and showed this to my SA, who looked after the car during the accidental repairs. Firstly, he drove the car and said there is no noise coming at all but later he insisted the technician to have a look at the car and he took the car and lifted up and tightened each and every bolt of front LHS suspension. After tightening the bolts, he suggested that we will go for the TD, to which he called technician, who is an expert in rectifying the problems and that expert technician turned the steering in idle and later found that driveshafts went kaput.

As per my ASC, driveshafts cost 45k, to which I'm planning to get it replaced under warranty in few days.

Did your ASC oblige that driveshafts will be replaced under warranty? And, which Toyota ASC did you visit for showing this issue?

And, surprised to know that, apart from myself, you are also facing this issue along with others.

BTW, ours has run 35k Kms and will be completing 1 year in another few days.

And, I'm bit disappointed with part quality of Hycross. ORVM knob in our car has broken within a year of ownership and suggested my SA to order the same, which costs Rs.600 as per him.

Apart from these issues, our Hycross continues to make us happy.
car_guy1998 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 15:14   #3177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
It’s weird hearing drive shaft issues on Hycross a new Toyota, someone else also mentioned the same problem earlier, If the number increases Toyota should issue a general recall.
Is it the newer lot which are facing these problems?
Is anyone who got their Hycross before May 2023 facing such issues as this is when the 3rd shift started?
Mine is the E10 version and the only problems it has is the creaking noises from the plastics (center arm rest and steering buttons) that I have mentioned earlier. Interior does not feel as durable as other Toyotas I have owned to be honest.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 15:28   #3178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
the hycross hybrid is good in town, the highway economy is nothing great
That's a common misconception but that's just not possible according to the laws of physics. When you brake and accelerate, you are wasting energy compared to cruising. Any car, whether it be petrol, diesel or hybrid will be more fuel efficient while cruising at a steady speed on the highway.

Regenerative braking cannot capture 100% of the energy that is wasted while braking. It will be more efficient than a car with no regenerative braking but it can never be more efficient in the city than the highway. The gap between city and highway mileage will be reduced but it never be the same.

For example :
Lets say a car with no regenerative braking:

1. City mileage : 10-11kmpl
2. Highway mileage at constant speed: 20kmpl

Same car as a hybrid with regenerative braking :

1. City mileage : 14kmpl
2. Highway mileage : 20kmpl.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 15:36   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
I have been facing this issue after our car had met with an accident, where we had to replace the front LHS suspension.
I think in your case it was external damage that might have caused damage to the driveshaft in addition to suspension parts as you mentioned earlier in the forum.
What Bhpian Reddysaab mentioned is more of a strange issue as there was no external force or pressure that could have damaged the driveshaft other than normal usage.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 15:39   #3180
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you
Did the ASC guys mention any external force or pressure or any other damage from outside that could have damaged the driveshaft or the driveshaft itself was faulty?

Most Viewed