Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2024, 15:48   #2836
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I tried the S6 trick that people were recommending in the Crysta thread along with using the cruise control when possible to ensure a steady speed and torque converter lock-up.
Any kind of incline or overtaking maneuver immediately drops the mileage.
Hi Cresterk, thanks for the comparison and your perspective.
can you please elaborate on the 6S trick you have mentioned above or point me to the post ? I am an existing Crysta 2.4Z owner and would love to learn the trick here
Old 20th March 2024, 15:00   #2837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Hi Cresterk, thanks for the comparison and your perspective.
can you please elaborate on the 6S trick you have mentioned above or point me to the post ? I am an existing Crysta 2.4Z owner and would love to learn the trick here
I read this in detail a while ago so I don't remember the specifics but this is the gist of it.

Toyota uses some kind of predictive logic to handle accelerator input and what gear should be selected etc based on your previous driving behaviour. Theoretically it should improve efficiency and performance but sadly, this rudimentary AI was developed more than 10+ years ago so it is a product of its time.

Some people over at the Teambhp Crysta thread realised that this predictive logic only works in D mode. If you shift it to S mode and then upshift to S6, it will act exactly the same as D mode but with the AI turned off. They found out that this makes the car upshift faster and torque converter to lock up sooner based on vehicle speed and RPM instead of it trying to guess whether the driver was done accelerating or not based on previous behaviour.

This same inconvenient AI was present in other toyota cars too to varying degrees. For example in the landcruiser 200, it also applied this logic to the brakes. If you pushed the brake pedal 50% in but very slowly and lightly, it would just apply very light brakes. If you pressed the brake pedal 20% but very quickly it would jam on the brakes because it thought you were in an emergency situation and you weren't applying the brakes enough. It might have been good for the new or average driver who struggles with knowing exactly what they want but if you are an enthusiast it would drive you nuts. Especially if someone else had driven the car before you because then it would be trying to work to their preferences instead of yours.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 15:50   #2838
BHPian

Quote:

Overall, I was actually a bit sad to see the Crysta go. It was definitely a different kind of fun and I understand why the owners are so attached to it. The turbo diesel is a delight and it tempts you into going faster, fuel efficiency be damned.
Is it just me or does everyone find the Crysta's interiors LEADS ahead of the Hycross even in terms of design? The Crysta looks way more luxurious than the Hycross' cab like stacked setup and the dash mounted gear lever.

I don't exactly see how the Hycross is an "upgrade" from the Crysta. Ofcourse the monocoque chassis and Hybrid powertrain is, but sense of opulence for a 40 lakh rupee car is lacking and how. Plus, even on the exteriors the Hycross looks way more essentially commercial than the flamboyant crysta.
Arnav612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 18:27   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
Is it just me or does everyone find the Crysta's interiors LEADS ahead of the Hycross even in terms of design? The Crysta looks way more luxurious than the Hycross' cab like stacked setup and the dash mounted gear lever.

I don't exactly see how the Hycross is an "upgrade" from the Crysta. Ofcourse the monocoque chassis and Hybrid powertrain is, but sense of opulence for a 40 lakh rupee car is lacking and how. Plus, even on the exteriors the Hycross looks way more essentially commercial than the flamboyant crysta.
True, I think the Crysta dashboard and overall interior were more of form over function while in Hycross it is the other way around.
Hycross interior design is much more efficient and there is a better utilisation of space which makes anyone sitting inside feel like there is much more space in the cabin compared to Crysta.
As I have travelled and driven extensively in both Crysta and Hycross one thing I can say for sure is that the driver and front-passenger comfort is so much better compared to Crysta the placement of the armrest, the position of steering and overall ergonomics are vastly improved over Crysta.
But for the other two rows, there is no comparison in terms of overall comfort that Crysta provides even the third row I feel is much better in Crysta as it was much higher.
Simply put Hycross is much better to drive while Crysta is much better to be driven in.
manofinfinity is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 18:30   #2840
BHPian

Is anyone facing with range decrease whenever you turn on the car? Asking because I'm facing this issue with our Hycross Hybrid whenever the car is turned on and the range gets reduced by at least 10-15 Kms or more.

Is there any solution to get it fixed?

BTW, our Hycross has run 22,500 Kms in almost 8 months of ownership as of today.
Old 20th March 2024, 22:57   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Is anyone facing with range decrease whenever you turn on the car? Asking because I'm facing this issue with our Hycross Hybrid whenever the car is turned on and the range gets reduced by at least 10-15 Kms or more.

Is there any solution to get it fixed?

BTW, our Hycross has run 22,500 Kms in almost 8 months of ownership as of today.
Hey brother. I'm not sure if my answer helps you but I face something similar in my ZS EV. The catch is that the range drops when you turn the air conditioning on. For instance, when I charge my car to a 100%, it shows 400 kms on my mobile app. But when I start the car up at 100%, the range drops to 340 kms when I turn the AC on. Try turning the AC toggle on and off when you start the car and see if the range changes.

I'm not sure to what extent the Hycross is a Hybrid (ie Mild Hybrid etc) that the displayed range would be affected by the AC, but this is my closest take on it.
Arnav612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 12:56   #2842
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There is a rumor about reducing tax on Hybrids from the current 43% to around 12 or 27%, this massive price reduction will affect the resale value of current owners, right?
Quote:
Nitin Gadkari states that tax on Hybrids should be reduced to 12 percent in the coming future
If it's happening, it will be around July-August 2024.
OD
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 13:34   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Although I am buying a Petrol Hycross shortly, but this reduction in Hybrid cars will pinch me when it's implemented. A hybrid car at a price of Petrol Version is very unlikely. There will be some premium for hybrid else no one will buy the non hybrid. Will have to see it's impact on Hybrid Only cars like Camry, Vellfire etc.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 14:02   #2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
There is a rumor about reducing tax on Hybrids from the current 43% to around 12 or 27%, this massive price reduction will affect the resale value of current owners, right?

If it's happening, it will be around July-August 2024.
OD
I booked a hycross ZXO last month and the dealership came back earlier this week saying the car is available. I saw this news article yesterday and wanted to get everyone's perspective here whether, I should wait till August 24 or go ahead with the purchase. I have an existing car and I can wait.
vasantmv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 15:13   #2845

https://motoroctane.com/news/269352-...%2012%25%20GST).

Is this calculation correct? This is a massive cut and would negate the price difference. But Toyota being Toyota will not pass this completely to the end customer, but still this changes the dynamics of car buying.

Interesting to see how this unfolds.
Old 21st March 2024, 20:31   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Had a few people ask about it and I finally got some free time so I thought I would finish this write-up. It might be a bit controversial so I just ask that you read it completely before you crucify me

The loaner car that the dealership offered to me was a 2 year old Crysta 2.4 Z automatic with about 35k kms on the odo.
What difference did you feel in terms of overall build quality both interior and overall, honestly I find Crysta's interior and overall quality much superior to Hycross's, there are still no rattles or squeaks in 8-year-old Crysta which I travel regularly whereas in Hycross there are some squeaks and rattles.
manofinfinity is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 11:51   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash1407 View Post
Is this calculation correct?
Below are the prices drops at reduced the GST rate at cesses of 15%, 22% and 0% considering today's ex-showroom price at ₹25L.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot-20240322-11.56.33-am.png

I don't see where the Rs. 7L difference is coming from, unless it's based on the fact that today's cess is at 22%, which would be reduced to 0%.

Last edited by dearchichi : 22nd March 2024 at 12:01.
dearchichi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 07:27   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
What difference did you feel in terms of overall build quality both interior and overall, honestly I find Crysta's interior and overall quality much superior to Hycross's, there are still no rattles or squeaks in 8-year-old Crysta which I travel regularly whereas in Hycross there are some squeaks and rattles.
Your observations are spot on. The Crysta feels much better overall than the Hycross, but the latter has better space management.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 09:44   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasantmv View Post
I saw this news article yesterday and wanted to get everyone's perspective here whether, I should wait till August 24 or go ahead with the purchase.
They will not loose a single rupee in tax. If they reduce the GST they will increase the CESS and add surcharges. GST has to be shared with the states but CESS goes directly into the pockets of the central government. If the same people continue will see a lot more such GST reductions and CESS increases.

Take your call because you got your car in a month whereas others have been waiting for over a year.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 09:49   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasantmv View Post
I booked a hycross ZXO last month and the dealership came back earlier this week saying the car is available. I saw this news article yesterday and wanted to get everyone's perspective here whether, I should wait till August 24 or go ahead with the purchase. I have an existing car and I can wait.
I would say go for it now if possible, there is no guarantee when this policy will be implemented and also there will be multiple price hikes till August which can significantly increase the price till August.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks